BajaNomad

Santa Rosalia fish report May 6- 13th

bajajurel - 5-20-2010 at 03:46 PM

We had an uneventful road trip and fishing was OK but not as great as we hoped. We fished mainly Tortuga Island in 200 – 300’ of water. We finally found the honey-hole for bait that everyone down there talks about and marked it on the GPS. It is about 6 miles out of the marina headed towards San Marcos / San Lucas. There were plenty of big-eye and mackerel in about 200’ of water. Thanks Pescador for pointing us in the right direction!

The current was very strong out at Tortuga and I ended up with 22 OZ. on the line to keep it down. The 3rd day of fishing we got blown off the water and decided to pack it up and head home as there was no relief forecast for a few days. The wind in San Quintin was even worse.

The Humboldt squid had not started to show and most pangas were out of the water. The launch ramp was destroyed by the hurricane. We used another one right next to it that was challenging and usually covered up with trucks and stuff during squid season and that I had never noticed before. The copper mine is being reopened.

Jose & Natalie have taken over day to day operation of the El Morro and old Sr. Espinosa watches over the El Morro in GN. We saw many improvements like new air conditioners, toilets, a clean pool, and friendlier hosts. They have a web site now. Jose moved a chest freezer into our room the first day there. They have fresh coffee in lobby in the mornings.

The desert was in full bloom and I had never seen color like we saw. Roads were OK. The hotel Baja Jardines in San Quintin has added on new rooms in the back and we stayed in one of them – very nice!

The exit off the road running next to the border in TJ to get in line for the border crossing has changed and you have to turn right where before there was a traffic light. We blew right by there and that forced us into TJ and through the round-abouts to the other entrance.

Here is a link to the pics.

http://picasaweb.google.com/JadShort/SantaRosaliaMay2010?fea...

Gas is running P7.89 / liter

[Edited on 5-20-2010 by bajajurel]

bajabass - 5-20-2010 at 07:19 PM

Nice 'tails. The desert was lit up like a dorado! Thanks for sharing. Always check under the beds at El Morro!! Last time there, stuck in a hurricane, my wife found a scorpion and 2 black widows under the bed. She wanted to leave, but the vados just north and south were blown out. Just above the prison, and just above SR were impassable for 3 days. Let's just say she did not sleep well;D.

Hola bajajurel...

Pompano - 5-22-2010 at 03:37 PM

We were just jurel fishing this morning at San Marcos. At what some of us old timers call Jorge's Reef (circa Jorge Yee of Mulege about 35 years ago.) Just north of the seal rock on the NE corner of San Marcos Island.

You will note that I said 'fishing'..as opposed to 'catching'.

Others were catching though..so the bite for yellows is still on, such as it is. It's nice that some are still around the area.

We did manage to..well okay, Co-pilot managed to catch 2 nice cabrilla when she was trolling Mirrolures along the eastern shore of the island.

I had something take my live bait....I think it was a yellowtail, but who knows for sure...it may have been a submarine.

I was daydreaming about pines trees, mountain meadows, cool breezes, rainbow trout in a fast boulder-strewn stream, grizzly bear, caribou standing on the road, halibut in Cook Inlet, salmon, glaciers..
22 hours of daylight..
.... insomnia....

Timo1 - 5-22-2010 at 03:42 PM

Roger.....you need to come to the Okanagan...We have all that

Pompano - 5-22-2010 at 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Timo1
Roger.....you need to come to the Okanagan...We have all that

Timo1...thanks, but I've been to the Okanagan many times...fishing bull trout, hunting elk & moose...trying to find a place where the damn horses sleep outside..

...and....keeping our northern borders safe.... :rolleyes: