BajaNomad

Response from my FM-3 Agent, not so bad...

BajaWarrior - 5-20-2010 at 04:13 PM

Dear Mr. -------
Your fm-3 is due sept 4rd.
Immigration will allow us to submit only 30 days in advance.
"Please bring the following:
1fm-3 book
2.american passport ( just for copies)
3.the amount in the bank is now $1.400 dlls per a single person
4.we can take care of the photos at our office.
5. the fees this year will be $ 180 dlls total this includes goverment fees, my fees and photos fees..we accept credit and debit cards....
Please advise,
Cheers"

Would've been nice to get it done earlier (like on my June 1 week trip) as I wasn't planning on a trip anytime in August but can't complain as they do the work... Great service by this reputable agent in San Felipe...

BW

DianaT - 5-20-2010 at 04:38 PM

Sounds like your agent is reasonable. Where is the immigration office for San Felipe? And won't you still need to be there in person for the finger prints and to sign for it?

This change is really apt to take a toll on good agents who have been able to handle everything in the past.

[Edited on 5-20-2010 by DianaT]

Bob and Susan - 5-20-2010 at 05:12 PM

yes...
you WILL need to go in to sign and be fingerprinted
this time...

plan a trip

BajaWarrior - 5-20-2010 at 05:58 PM

Diana,

My agent is at the Glorietta in San Felipe (one rountdabout east of the Arches) and has an office at the small strip mall at the gas station on the North. Lolita's FM-3 service.

Bob, trip planned to San Felipe, August Havasu trip canceled...Could be worse?!

Bob and Susan - 5-20-2010 at 07:38 PM

just make sure the truck is air conditioned:P:P

BajaWarrior - 5-20-2010 at 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
just make sure the truck is air conditioned:P:P

Is there any other way?

steekers - 5-20-2010 at 10:05 PM

check your U2U. Down there this Sunday?

BajaWarrior - 5-21-2010 at 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by steekers
check your U2U. Down there this Sunday?

Checked U2U.

Not getting down until next Thursday night...

shari - 5-21-2010 at 07:39 AM

this new change makes it very difficult and expensive for people coming from further away...like Italy...or northern Saskatchewan who will now have to make an unexpected trip to baja just to do paperwork.

Anyone getting a new fm3 or 2 should take this into account for renewals...when it will be possible for them to come down...a month before the expiry date.

wornout - 5-21-2010 at 07:55 AM

The San Felipe Immigration office has changed the annual sign-in month for imagrados to February. Bless their heart and anybody in San Felipe planning or going the FM3-FM2-Imagrado route, who has a renewal date of Aug, Sep, Oct, should be extremely happy.
This February requirement may be a nation wide change but as we know, each office interprets the law differently.

DianaT - 5-21-2010 at 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wornout

This February requirement may be a nation wide change but as we know, each office interprets the law differently.

That certainly would be better for all the snowbirds---but, I wonder how they will implement this, if it happens. Let's say someone's FM3 is expiring in September, can they wait until Feb.?

roamin - 5-21-2010 at 12:36 PM

As always, there is a work around. Talk to your agent and see what he can do. My guy in LaPaz is making it work for me. You still have to pick it up in person but it can be done.

Bob and Susan - 5-21-2010 at 02:01 PM

you know you can renew early but you lose months

and the new month is the one you renew in

you can ALWAYS change the renewal month to the month you WILL be there

but you can't CHEAP-OUT!!!

msteve1014 - 5-21-2010 at 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
you know you can renew early but you lose months

and the new month is the one you renew in

you can ALWAYS change the renewal month to the month you WILL be there

but you can't CHEAP-OUT!!!

How does that work, Bob? A number of people have said that they could not renew earlier than 30 days before the expiration date.

Bob and Susan - 5-21-2010 at 04:45 PM

well you cannot...but you can
does that make "cents"

you lose the months

and your renewal date changes

"you never ask you never get"

Bob and Susan - 5-21-2010 at 04:45 PM

but watch out...

you MAY get what you ask for...

msteve1014 - 5-21-2010 at 04:51 PM

and it is a renewal? your not giving up your old FM3 and starting a new one?

Bob and Susan - 5-21-2010 at 04:56 PM

maybe...i dont know

when we started ours our guy warned us about dates and renewals

surebought - 5-21-2010 at 05:46 PM

One of the greatest thrills of my life was when the Imigration Secretary came out of the back room with a big smile on her face and told me that my papers had finally come. I had finished with Mexican Imigration. I remember the annual taxes that you paid to the bank were never more than $150.00 US when I was in the process. It took 15 years.

Loreto Office

LaTijereta - 5-21-2010 at 08:33 PM

My FM3 ID card was provided to me 7 days after the paper was submitted..
Not sure why the San Felipe office is quoting $1,400 costs..My was $1,294 total at the bank in Loreto..photos cost another $200 at an in town studio (ready in two hours).

I was required to sign and be finger printed before they could laminate the clear plastic over the card..

Bad News..
This process (complete with new photos) will need to be repeated every year, per the IMN agent in the office. It would be hard for an independent agent to handle all these demands.

Good News...
Since there is no more stamping "in-out", it makes it simpler to move back and forth across the border.