BajaNomad

a C 210 L was just stolen from PSFO!

capt. mike - 6-6-2010 at 10:56 AM

early morning, before daylight. had to back taxi and use lights for takeoff.
had prop lock - no help.
they knew he was coming. they might have gotten intel (G2) from his recent posts on BBP asking about conditions there - yes the bad guys can afford $49 a year to be BBP members....

well this really SUCKS!!
no 200 series Cessnas are safe anywhere in baja or mainland.
also as he cleared in someplace and filed for PSFO the guys at ALL mexican AOEs are suspect until they find the moles...

shari - 6-6-2010 at 11:00 AM

darn...so sorry for the owner...seems like the best thing is to slightly deviate from a "filed" flight plan....mums the word.

capt. mike - 6-6-2010 at 11:16 AM

yes - in mexico leaving a tower going to a non tower there is no closing of the plan and no follow up S&R like in USA.
many guys "file" to one place non towered but end up at a 2nd for security.
don't try that tower to tower or they WILL come looking for you and CHARGE you for the event $$.

toneart - 6-6-2010 at 11:24 AM

Where is PSFO? Is that Puerto San Fransisquito?

Hook - 6-6-2010 at 11:25 AM

How could a member of BBP even consider taking a C210 to Baja, at this point?

DENNIS - 6-6-2010 at 11:28 AM

Is it even possible to insure a plane that goes to Mexico?

capt. mike - 6-6-2010 at 12:02 PM

1. PUNTA san francisquito
2. i don't know really - but last weekend at serenidad there were 3 of them at different times.... run what you brung...or have i guess...
3. sure is. i just renewed mine $100 for the year mex liability and my USA hull carrier is covered fully in canada mexico, central america and bahamas.

BajaBlanca - 6-6-2010 at 01:50 PM

:no::no::no: very sad day in paradise ... terrible to have a plane stolen. hope he / she did have excellent insurance:no::no::no:

Ken Bondy - 6-6-2010 at 06:45 PM

Mike do you know if he was parked at the tiedown area near the beach or on the taxiway between the runways?

rzitren - 6-6-2010 at 09:59 PM

I just returned from picking up the pilot and friends of the stolen aircraft. He had cleared into Mexico at San Felipe on Tuesday June 1st and filed for San Francisquitos. He parked in the normal parking area at the south end of the runway. from what I understand there was one other airplane there, a C185 I think. There were a few Americans staying in the cabanas. On Saturday night a Mexican van with two men drove in and had dinner at the cabanas that no one knew. After dinner they left. At 4:30 this morning someone cut the lock, taxied the plane to the north end of the runway and took off heading south. Please be careful when you file to small strips. I always file to another uncontrolled strip when I leave a towered airport and then go somewhere else. No one just happened to drive by San Francisquitos and decided to steal this airplane.

capt. mike - 6-7-2010 at 05:56 AM

thx for the report rzitren.
bad day.
i think the DGAC should interogate all the staff at MMSF as the mole has to be on the take and there working - otherwise - how would they know? and the timing on the "van" showing up makes sense.
they ate, cased and bingo that plane is on the mainland now. the van was carrying 100 LL too i'll bet.

desertcpl - 6-7-2010 at 09:50 AM

I agree with you Capt. mike

but what is 100 LL

Ken Bondy - 6-7-2010 at 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
I agree with you Capt. mike

but what is 100 LL

"100 LL" is 100 octane piston engine aviation fuel (gasoline). "LL" stands for "Low Lead". Sorry for butting in here Mike, it is so rare that I see a question I can answer that I couldn't resist :)

[Edited on 6-7-2010 by Ken Bondy]

capt. mike - 6-7-2010 at 11:38 AM

haha Ken...100 LL...it's not just for breakfast anymore...:lol::lol:
the thing is.....the EPA is about to outlaw LL and yet they have not figured a useable alternative for it - so what - ground the ENTIRE piston GA and comm'l fleet?? are they totally nutz?? yes they must be!!
guvmint....what a bunch of IDIOTS!!:fire:

mtgoat666 - 6-7-2010 at 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
haha Ken...100 LL...it's not just for breakfast anymore...:lol::lol:
the thing is.....the EPA is about to outlaw LL and yet they have not figured a useable alternative for it - so what - ground the ENTIRE piston GA and comm'l fleet?? are they totally nutz?? yes they must be!!

airplanes should meet emissions standards same as any car. we live in a crowded world, and there is no room for obsolete smoggy engines and bad polluting fuels. you want to foul the air, then don't foul the air the rest of us have to breathe.

k-rico - 6-7-2010 at 06:18 PM

Quote:

You must be talking about the Arizona state government. :lol:

capt. mike - 6-8-2010 at 06:49 AM

"airplanes should meet emissions standards same as any car. we live in a crowded world, and there is no room for obsolete smoggy engines and bad polluting fuels. you want to foul the air, then don't foul the air the rest of us have to breathe."

100 LL has been shown to be innocuous relative to old 80-87 leaded, and similar to to reg sin leaded for cars. Diesels pollute worse - look at the vol from hvy duty trucks and trains -

at altitude the exhaust is widely dissipated well before it can reach your breathing aparati.

the avgas used by the nation's entire piston fleet is less than 1% of the nation's fuel consumption for car gas. yet those planes and the GA industry contributes hugely to the economy providing important resources and benefits. Shutting down that sector of the economy over a non event like low lead levels in the fuel used is felony dumb and shortsided.

i am all for new fuels but a gov't edict to simply outlaw 100 LL without 1st supporting efforts towards an orderly transition to an economically viable alternate which is compatible to the existing fleet is outrageous and smacks of the myopic machinations typical of peabrained bureaucrats feeding off the national dole.......:barf:

next time you need an emergency medical air evac from a remote town that can only handle piston craft and has no turbine helos....and you can't get that flight cause there is no avgas sold....well you might just be dead.

mtgoat666 - 6-8-2010 at 10:45 AM

Quote:
next time you need an emergency medical air evac from a remote town that can only handle piston craft and has no turbine helos....and you can't get that flight cause there is no avgas sold....well you might just be dead.

dilution is not a legal solution for polluters.

what about the tens of thousands that die every year from bad air quality?

no excuses for aircraft, all should comply with clean air laws. no compliance, no flying.

and if you are worried about being incapacitated at remote location, then get healthy or don't go,... or associate only with aircraft owners that don't make excuses, and love clean air.

capt. mike - 6-8-2010 at 01:54 PM

"and if you are worried about being incapacitated at remote location, then get healthy or don't go,... or associate only with aircraft owners that don't make excuses, and love clean air."

right....i'll refer to that for the next guy/gal/family that has an accident not of his/her/their own causing and needs to be air lifted out of some little burg or from in the middle of no where. It ain't just for self induced health issues.

i don't know a SINGLE aircraft owner that is willing, of the means financially or otherwise ready to dump their perfectly good existing motors to willingly pay for a non existent engine which if it did exist would cost easily $50,000 a piece plus installation. And - i know plenty of owner operators in addition to membership in most pilot driven organizations with access to current thought and literature on this subject.

you missed the point, chivo - comm'l GA is too important in the economy world wide to be simply shut down, and the guvmint has to 1st support an industry acceptable solution for the fuel type issue before they can just ban it. The leaded fuel discussion for planes is now 30 plus years old with no firm solution yet available.

at the present there is no alternative engine available which can meet the required FAA performance and service/safety specs - and if there was it could cost $50,000-$200,000 per plane to retrofit. Not viable.

let's all just ride bikes i guess. many would prefer that i suppose.

maybe go back to candles and whale lamps too??:?::light::barf:

wessongroup - 6-8-2010 at 02:18 PM

"guvmint has to 1st support an industry acceptable solution for the fuel type issue before they can just ban it."

have and will ..... not just fuel either.. if found to be a "bad actor" ... your history.. it is across the board, no industry is exempt .. from environmental laws here in the United States.. only from enforcement (Reagan exempts DOD back in the early 80s or somewhere around that time, they the DOD had big messes going on) ...

the call will be based on negative impact to Human Health and the environment first.. unless we are going to go under.. which would appear to be the case at the moment ... so look for possible relief ... possible ... just saying...

mtgoat666 - 6-8-2010 at 11:50 PM

Quote:
"and if you are worried about being incapacitated at remote location, then get healthy or don't go,... or associate only with aircraft owners that don't make excuses, and love clean air."

right....i'll refer to that for the next guy/gal/family that has an accident not of his/her/their own causing and needs to be air lifted out of some little burg or from in the middle of no where. It ain't just for self induced health issues.

i don't know a SINGLE aircraft owner that is willing, of the means financially or otherwise ready to dump their perfectly good existing motors to willingly pay for a non existent engine which if it did exist would cost easily $50,000 a piece plus installation. And - i know plenty of owner operators in addition to membership in most pilot driven organizations with access to current thought and literature on this subject.

you missed the point, chivo - comm'l GA is too important in the economy world wide to be simply shut down, and the guvmint has to 1st support an industry acceptable solution for the fuel type issue before they can just ban it. The leaded fuel discussion for planes is now 30 plus years old with no firm solution yet available.

at the present there is no alternative engine available which can meet the required FAA performance and service/safety specs - and if there was it could cost $50,000-$200,000 per plane to retrofit. Not viable.

let's all just ride bikes i guess. many would prefer that i suppose.

maybe go back to candles and whale lamps too??:?::light::barf:

there is no valid excuse for pollution. i don't know the issue in detail, but your self-serving excuses for polluting just don't smell right. i hope your plane, engine, fuel is banned.
if you can afford to fly, you can afford to fly w/o polluting our air.

Bajamatic - 6-9-2010 at 12:26 AM

You can't just ground the frickin' planes. The people who MAKE the planes should maybe be very encouraged to include the new tech, but please, you can't tell me that come next Monday I have to have a new hybrid engine in my F250. Because that's a law I would currently be forced to break and a law the people would be forced to ignore (like immigration come to think of it). Progress needs to be focused where it can actually work, not just in theory, but in practice.

yes, at least one other with logic

capt. mike - 6-9-2010 at 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajamatic
You can't just ground the frickin' planes. The people who MAKE the planes should maybe be very encouraged to include the new tech, but please, you can't tell me that come next Monday I have to have a new hybrid engine in my F250. Because that's a law I would currently be forced to break and a law the people would be forced to ignore (like immigration come to think of it). Progress needs to be focused where it can actually work, not just in theory, but in practice.

well said bajamatic...good analogy. same deal - what would happen if next week all non hybrid motors in say trucks only for e.g. - were banned and ALL owners had to replace their engines even if they were working fine...and the cost of the replacements were 50% more than before....what would happen????
a ridiculous concept where the so called do gooders justify the end by any means.

Pacifico - 6-9-2010 at 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

there is no valid excuse for pollution. i don't know the issue in detail, but your self-serving excuses for polluting just don't smell right. i hope your plane, engine, fuel is banned.
if you can afford to fly, you can afford to fly w/o polluting our air.

Goat, you yourself state that you don't know the issue in detail. I'd put my money on Capt. Mike on this one....seems to me he knows a little more about aviation than you. I don't think you really understand the magnitude of how many aircraft this affects; both private and commercial. Almost all forms of transportation produce some form of pollution - should every form of transportation that produces pollution be banned and parked? What if I said: "If you can afford to drive, you can afford to drive w/o polluting our air."? Would you be able to retro-fit all of your vehicle's engines with a new one? I doubt it....

Pacifico - 6-9-2010 at 07:21 AM

Quote:
Quote:

well said bajamatic...good analogy. same deal - what would happen if next week all non hybrid motors in say trucks only for e.g. - were banned and ALL owners had to replace their engines even if they were working fine...and the cost of the replacements were 50% more than before....what would happen????
a ridiculous concept where the so called do gooders justify the end by any means.

BINGO!!!! We have a winner!!!!

David K - 6-9-2010 at 12:11 PM

Enviro wackos like Goat want to destroy America's economy, as they force their ideas on the USA... and the rest of the world pollutes freely. We are one of the cleanest countries and we also feed and free the world. China cannot feed its own people and burns fossil fuels like there's no tomorrow. The communists have just renamed themselves as the 'Greens' or 'Progressives', seeing it is a way to fool the under-educated voters.

Has anyone noticed there are no longer American flags on either side of the president when he gives press reports/ speeches? They were also ordered removed from our humanitarian aid camps in Haiti (no other country there has taken their nation's flag down). Really sad that the president is embarresed of his own country.

DK

DianaT - 6-9-2010 at 12:54 PM

The whole flag thing is just another garbage story being pushed by the right wing-nuts.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/photos/pressconference....

But while it does seem legitimate to discuss the merits of the fuel and the possible elimination of same-----pros and cons of same---it appears rather far fetched to bring in this meaningless story. It really appears that you are attempting to be a political troll when you repeat these absurd stories.

[Edited on 6-10-2010 by DianaT]

Bajaboy - 6-9-2010 at 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Enviro wackos like Goat want to destroy America's economy, as they force their ideas on the USA... and the rest of the world pollutes freely. We are one of the cleanest countries and we also feed and free the world. China cannot feed its own people and burns fossil fuels like there's no tomorrow. The communists have just renamed themselves as the 'Greens' or 'Progressives', seeing it is a way to fool the under-educated voters.

Has anyone noticed there are no longer American flags on either side of the president when he gives press reports/ speeches? They were also ordered removed from our humanitarian aid camps in Haiti (no other country there has taken their nation's flag down). Really sad that the president is embarresed of his own country.

DK-I'm embarrassed (note spelling) that you make such ridiculous statements....a quick Google search debunks your statement about American flags and the President:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xaPwhlF6hc&feature=chann...

You might want to check your sources before you regurgitate all the crap you're fed by FoxNews:P Give me a break:biggrin:

Bajamatic - 6-9-2010 at 02:07 PM

"We are one of the cleanest countries"

FACT - The US is the SECOND most polluting country in the world, right behind China. So before you go calling out the liberals for false accusations you should probably put down your loyalist blinders and go read something for yourself. Knowledge is power.

[Edited on 6-9-2010 by Bajamatic]

capt. mike - 6-9-2010 at 02:54 PM

"Enviro wackos like Goat want to destroy America's economy, as they force their ideas on the USA... and the rest of the world pollutes freely"

well put DK.

:light::light::light:

LancairDriver - 6-9-2010 at 03:12 PM

Uh Oh- The door got kicked open for the tax dollar parasites to rush in.

mtgoat666 - 6-10-2010 at 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

dk: once again, i need to remind you: you are an idiot :lol:

where do you get your misinformation?

David K - 6-10-2010 at 12:08 PM

Do you need photos of everything? If you 'SAW' this destruction of America would it change how you vote? :rolleyes:

KurtG - 6-10-2010 at 01:17 PM

Quote:
Quote:

no excuses for aircraft, all should comply with clean air laws. no compliance, no flying.

and if you are worried about being incapacitated at remote location, then get healthy or don't go,... or associate only with aircraft owners that don't make excuses, and love clean air.

Regarding the "get healthy or don't go" remark. The most expensive rescues that we commonly have in the mountainous western US are climbers and back country hikers who are among the most healthy. Should we not send in those polluting helicopters to save them?

capt. mike - 6-10-2010 at 03:22 PM

ha...maybe they should be rescued only by mountain goats carrying stretchers...

by the way.....the plane is still missing....:(

mtgoat666 - 6-10-2010 at 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
Quote:
Quote:

Regarding the "get healthy or don't go" remark. The most expensive rescues that we commonly have in the mountainous western US are climbers and back country hikers who are among the most healthy. Should we not send in those polluting helicopters to save them?

there is nothing wrong with govt providing rescue services. i pay taxes and that's one of things i want my taxes spent on. i also want my taxes and health care costs reduced by taxing fat people, people who smoke, people who can but won't exercise, etc.
i also think taxing polluters is best way to make polluters change their ways. $5/gallon tax for dirty fuel or dirty engines will incentivize you polluters!

capt. mike - 6-10-2010 at 06:23 PM

tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax.................etc. ad infinitum....:rolleyes::barf:

the mantra of the liberal left...let guvmint fix it.....who else is sick of that song besides me.:smug:
good luck on a $5 tax on fuel beyond what they already get....unless you are willing to move to Europe and other socialist bent countries.

taxes are the the restraints to innovation, free enterprize and balanced market forces. Prosperity has been more negatively affected by ridiculous guvmint controls and tax policy than other means - just look at lifestyles of the post war in America before the advent of "the Great Society" of Johnson and later Carter.

what this country needs is a return to Reagan values and the resolve of those who were a part of the [our] greatest generation who climbed out of the great depression and vaulted us into the salvation of the free world during WWII.
oh...and the plane is still missing.....

mtgoat666 - 6-10-2010 at 06:34 PM

Quote:
taxes are the the restraints to innovation, free enterprize and balanced market forces. Prosperity has been more

sin taxes are very, very effective tools to incentivize the people!

[Edited on 6-11-2010 by mtgoat666]

mtgoat666 - 6-10-2010 at 06:41 PM

Quote:
just look at lifestyles of the post war in America before the advent of "the Great Society" of Johnson

yes, let's look at poverty rates, infant mortality, life expectancy -- before and after societal changes like ending of child labor, start of social security, etc., and start of great society programs.
waiting for your reasoned analysis, capt cracker barrel-gut.

KurtG - 6-10-2010 at 07:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
Quote:
Quote:

there is nothing wrong with govt providing rescue services. i pay taxes and that's one of things i want my taxes spent on. i also want my taxes and health care costs reduced by taxing fat people, people who smoke, people who can but won't exercise, etc.
i also think taxing polluters is best way to make polluters change their ways. $5/gallon tax for dirty fuel or dirty engines will incentivize you polluters!

But you didn't answer my question which I think is a valid one. If rescues paid for by public monies are a good thing and if polluting aircraft are bad and should be grounded then how can you support the idea of a helicopter rescue? I'm not getting into the left vs right political stuff since I'm a member of that endangered species "pragmatic centrist."

I also support sky high taxes on booze and cigarettes since I use neither!! :)

Bajaboy - 6-10-2010 at 07:31 PM

Quote:
tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax.................etc. ad infinitum....:rolleyes::barf:

the mantra of the liberal left...let guvmint fix it.....who else is sick of that song besides me.:smug:
good luck on a $5 tax on fuel beyond what they already get....unless you are willing to move to Europe and other socialist bent countries.

taxes are the the restraints to innovation, free enterprize and balanced market forces. Prosperity has been more negatively affected by ridiculous guvmint controls and tax policy than other means - just look at lifestyles of the post war in America before the advent of "the Great Society" of Johnson and later Carter.

what this country needs is a return to Reagan values and the resolve of those who were a part of the [our] greatest generation who climbed out of the great depression and vaulted us into the salvation of the free world during WWII.
oh...and the plane is still missing.....

Reagan equals Amnesty

dtbushpilot - 6-10-2010 at 07:35 PM

Mike, don't argue with an idiot or confuse him with the facts, his mind is made up. Try to have some compassion, imagine what it must be like to be him....dt

capt. mike - 6-11-2010 at 05:47 AM

"capt cracker barrel-gut":rolleyes:

go ahead...stoop to personal attacks :lol::spingrin::spingrin:since you don't have the acumen to argue from a basis of strength of position. What you have is innuendo and emotion without intelligence.

dt is so right - you are simply one over which to take pity....much like an addled marooon searching through a circle K dumpster for his intake - both food and media.....twinkies and People magazine likely.

Cypress - 6-11-2010 at 06:12 AM

Since we're talking aboul govt. regs etc. How 'bout the enforced use of ethanol, a form of alcohol made from corn. Ethanol costs more to produce than it's worth, damages engine components, and is taxed also. Gasoline must contain 10% ethanol under current standards, soon to be increased to 15%. Another misguided govt. boondoggle. We'd be better off swapping the corn directly for fuel/fuel credits.

capt. mike - 6-11-2010 at 06:34 AM

and of course food prices are going to go up!!
that is the equilvalent of a regressive tax on the poor.

13. Ethanol boom sharply cuts US corn surplus: USDA

06/10/10

Reuters

The resurgent U.S. ethanol industry will use an additional 250 million bushels of corn through the next 15 months, dramatically reducing the corn surplus despite record crops, said the government. Traders said the forecast of higher demand would boost corn prices. They had expected modest reductions in the corn stockpile instead of the Agriculture Department's large cuts.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6593MJ20100610

oldlady - 6-11-2010 at 07:24 AM

Quote:
"We are one of the cleanest countries"

FACT - The US is the SECOND most polluting country in the world, right behind China. So before you go calling out the liberals for false accusations you should probably put down your loyalist blinders and go read something for yourself. Knowledge is power.

[Edited on 6-9-2010 by Bajamatic]

Well applied knowledge certainly can be power. What is the US doing with all that pollution? THE key and most used metric is GDP, so take a look, globalists across your landscape at China's GDP vs US. (You won't like the answer)

Also put into perspective that that the major and minor struggling economies are looking to the US as the engine that will possibly pull the rest of the planet from massive deflation or being whip- sawed into inflation.

So, greenies, you've had 40 years to develop energy sources and policies that would have made a difference, that would have been competitively priced with fossil fuels.

So, live for one month with out using ANYTHING that uses fossil fuels, was produced using fossil fuels, transported to your homes (including potable water) or was built (including the transportation of materials) using fossil fuels. Let's ground those big jets before we worry about Captain Mike, could we start with Gore and Pelosi, or maybe Obama's "Campaign One?" Or simulate cap and tax and reduce your use by 50%. Use all the solar and windmills you like, just make sure they were not made with fossil fuels. Come back to us in a month (when you have turned your computers back on in your homes, business and universities and tell us how it went. And, give us your plan for how, with the sun and the wind and the upcoming taxes on fossil fuel energy, we are going to face the immediate need
of getting not only ours, but the global economy off its knees.

k-rico - 6-11-2010 at 07:35 AM

"Use all the solar and windmills you like, just make sure they were not made with fossil fuels."

That's something few think about. For example, it takes far more energy to make a battery than you'll ever get out of it.

oldlady - 6-11-2010 at 07:41 AM

Absolutely k-rico. We can also stick a straw in a few places in the US, create a bunch of US jobs, and instead of enthanol send all that corn to Mexico "gratis" where it will do a helluva lot more good for the planet than ethanol.

k-rico - 6-11-2010 at 07:49 AM

Some light reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_T._Odum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_quality

oldlady - 6-11-2010 at 07:58 AM

Thanks, k-rico, but the means to measure how far that is beyond my intellectual capability have yet to be defined.

Bad Pilot! No Plane!

Lee - 6-11-2010 at 09:34 AM

This thread is about Pilots who don't deserve to own planes and is a reappearing subject for those flying into MX.

I can't think of a more elitist bunch sharing the same out of touch with reality mentality.
That has to exclude Nomad Pilots though as this group has to know that it's NOT safe to fly a plane into MX and leave it UNATTENDED overnight -- including airplanes that have been ''locked.''

Maybe a course in Security 101 is in order. This isn't rocket science.

Don't leave a plane unattended overnight. Maybe it's too simple.

Bet Capt. Mike doesn't leave his plane unattended overnight.

capt. mike - 6-11-2010 at 11:10 AM

"Bet Capt. Mike doesn't leave his plane unattended overnight."

i'm not the only owner here.

but yes i have and do - it depends on where.
mine is not a target for cartel thefts - but it is insured.

200 series have been ripped from attended paved towered airports too.

you can't stop a determined thief - but you can slow him down and discourage the less pro among the bunch.

if i flew a 200 series Cessna i would never take it to mexico now, period.
many disagree and continue to go with theirs but are selective where.

my concern today is more about stealing my gas than anything else if i was at a remote camping strip or places too far from town and sans guards like BA for e.g. - a great place to fly to but lack of security bothers me.

if i can't look out and see my plane i am worried to a degree.
flying around baja is the best form of recreational private AC use i can think of. Nothing else satisfies me as much for spending recreational $$s when i have them to spend.

state side my use is now restricted to business so i can deduct it.

there are 5 planes from PHX headed to Mulege right now as part of charity flight medicos. some are brand C but none are in the target group.

i can be in Mulege in 3 hours + 30 on the ground most any day. it took me 4 days the one time i drove it - going slow yes.

having a time machine doesn't cost more than a high end fishing or power/ski boat if you know what you're doing - it's all about choices and knowledge.

if they EVER start ripping planes in my category and class...i will be through.

fishabductor - 6-13-2010 at 11:44 AM

Goat...How do you get to baja when you come? Are you one of those idiots that I see riding bikes down highway 1. Must be since you are all aggro on fossil fuels...to fly in a plane or ride in a car would be plain hypocritical!!

"what's the last thing that goes thru a baja bicyclist's head when he hits the front of a mack truck?

His ass!

capt. mike - 6-13-2010 at 01:00 PM

now that's funnie right there i don't care who you are!!
good one Abductor.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Curt63 - 6-15-2010 at 12:58 PM

Is this the plane that was stolen?

I took this pic on 6/2 or 6/3. I believe it was flown by Richard, wife and his guest Dan from New Zealand. nice folks and longtime residents. very Baja experienced. Thats a shame.

[Edited on 6-15-2010 by Curt63]

capt. mike - 6-15-2010 at 01:01 PM

might be. can you get a better pic of it up? N number?
and i'll ask on BBP.
there was a 182 there same time BJ i think who got them out.

fishabductor - 6-15-2010 at 09:01 PM

Mike....are your eyes that bad....That is the blown up version of the original....it was taken from outer space with a disposable camera!!:lol::lol:

rzitren - 6-16-2010 at 06:25 AM

Here is a link to the reward for N210HA stolen from San Francisquitos.

http://wethepeopleofleisureworld.info/stolen-aircraft/N210HA...

You will have to copy and paste as I do not know how to make a direct link. It includes a picture of the plane. Not sure if still looks the same now.

capt. mike - 6-16-2010 at 06:32 AM

that WAS Dr. Crenshaw's nice 210.
i was thinking it might have been.
Dr. Crenshaw is a long time medico with LIGA serving remote villages in mainland areas like sonora and south.
he has a home at PSFO - one of the few that have been allowed by the campo owners.

very sad this has happened to a guy that has given so much to Mexico over a good many years.

Ken Bondy - 6-16-2010 at 08:22 AM

This thread saddens me on many levels. It is now dangerous to fly a C-210 or other 200 series Cessna aircraft to Baja...100LL is considered a pollutant...flying small piston aircraft is somehow bad for the environment...YUCK. How things seem to have changed.

While I was flying actively (70s and 80s) I made 69 trips to Mexico, departing from Van Nuys and Burbank. 6 trips were to the mainland, the other 63 to Baja. About half those trips were made in my beautiful old 1963 Baron 95-A55, the other half in an eclectic collection of rented airplanes, including a variety of Cessnas C-172, C-177RG, C-182, and many in the C-210. I never thought twice of leaving the airplanes unattended and unlocked overnight, and often did so at both controlled and non-controlled fields. It never entered my mind that anyone would rip off an airplane. Things have sure changed.

Many of those trips were with my 4 kids. My kids grew to love Baja, and the trips taught them a lot about life and how to accept and savor differences in people and places. They are in their 40s now and their time in Baja has enriched each of their lives in ways I can't begin to describe.

Our favorite destination was San Francisquito. Like Mike says, I could be there in less than 4 hours. It would take about an hour to get to Mexicali from VNY, about an hour to clear customs and immigration and gas up, and then about an hour forty minutes from Mexicali to PSFO. In the Baron I would burn about 45 gallons of 100LL on that trip, one way. Almost all of the exhaust gases from those 45 gallons were deposited over a mile above the surface of the earth.

Flying to and in Baja was an important part of my life and remains forever embedded in my memory. I will never do it again, but it saddens me that others may never have the chance to experience it. That is a big loss.

[Edited on 6-17-2010 by Ken Bondy]

Terry28 - 6-16-2010 at 08:40 AM

We are not in Kansas anymore Toto!! Sad but true...

capt. mike - 6-16-2010 at 10:12 AM

"I will never do it again"

well sure you will Ken - i'll take you.:D
i ain't giving up yet.
too much adventure awaits. and until they get so desperate they need to steal low wing Pipers i am not a bit worried about theft.

Curt63 - 6-16-2010 at 04:15 PM

I tried, but couldn't post a larger pic. I zoomed in on the original and it is the same aircraft. Roger Richard ??? he was a friendly fellow. Damn shame

Skeet/Loreto - 6-16-2010 at 05:19 PM

Ken Says it all!

I have very close to 2,000 hours logged in Baja Sur at the same time Ken was flying.
It is sad to think that "Hiogh Wing" Aircraft are having trouble flying in Baja. Of course no body want a Low Wing Commanche as you cannot see what you are flying over!!

One of these days Mike you may try a 182 and realize just how much better it is to fly High Wing.

Sorry to hear that another good Airplane is Gone.
May they rot in Hell!!

Dave - 6-16-2010 at 05:46 PM

Quote:
they knew he was coming. they might have gotten intel (G2) from his recent posts on BBP asking about conditions there - yes the bad guys can afford $49 a year to be BBP members....

There's got to be a better way to police the BBP site. What would be your suggestions?

Carlos Fiesta - 6-16-2010 at 10:28 PM

Mike;

I flew into Punta San Francisquito that same Sunday and flew out Monday afternoon (Memorial Day). We were a group of two planes and things were pretty quiet for a traditionally big weekend (although Alfonsinas was definately hopping when we flew over on the way south).

I have been to PFSQ 3 times in the last 6 month and I always disable my plane to prevent theft. I know the bad guys are more likely to take a 206 or a 210 than my Beechcraft A-19, but I still do what I can to sleep well while I am down there.

For me the rewards of PSFQ are worth the risk. Even if I have to take a wheel off of my plane at night I will continue to enjoy the beauty of such a beautiful place!

capt. mike - 6-17-2010 at 06:59 AM

Carlos - call me when you plan to be there again AFTER oct...hahaha. and i'll pop over and party wit ya. Ditto SJN/JYJ.
we have a trip after july 4th to El socorrito - can't wait pacific brisas...what are your august plans for JYJ?

MasSkeeter - sorry bud - i'll take a low wing any day - in fact i simply can't stand flying high wings unless i have to. i am not so concerned what is under me as what is ABOVE me!
why do you think all the best WWII fighters were low wing?
remember the comanche wing is a laminar flow airfoil patterned after the P-51.
i prefer to fly fast and get there, not slow with feet hanging down.
but it is all good amigo, let's go for a ride!:spingrin:

dtbushpilot - 6-17-2010 at 07:10 AM

Those WWII fighters were "conventional gear" also. Seems as though those early designers knew how to build a plane that could take a beating and fly in and out of unimproved strips......like the drug dealers use. They were a little more challenging to drive than tricycle gear but if you learned to fly (and drive) them from the start it wasn't a big deal.

The drug dealers don't seem to like the tail draggers, I know that there are exceptions but they probably steal more low wing planes. I think I forgot how to drive a tricycle.......dt

[Edited on 6-17-2010 by dtbushpilot]

capt. mike - 6-17-2010 at 08:21 AM

yes - tri gear means anyone can do it.
conventional gear and you don't stop flying until the engine shuts off.
i have zero tail dragger time.
when i get my dream plane, a Beech 18 set up for corp seating, i'll have to learn all over again.:light::!::tumble:

LancairDriver - 6-17-2010 at 03:56 PM

Here is a fun tail-dragger to fly. A Cassutt pylon racer I owned a few years ago. No dual instruction in this one- you just take off and better learn fast as you go. I flew this one to Baja and the Serenidad

Cassutt-s.jpg - 44kB

capt. mike - 6-17-2010 at 03:59 PM

George you deserve a medal for sitting in that baby all the way to Mulege!
bet you got there fast!
i have seen them at Reno - maybe even yours. i can't fit in one hahaha.
does that have an O-200 lyc in it??
what will she do WOT?

LancairDriver - 6-17-2010 at 04:10 PM

Mike- I used to fit into that airplane but not anymore. From California it wasn't a bad run to Mulege, buzzing every palapa on the way down. I donated it to a museum in Lancaster, CA and I don't know if it is on display yet. It would top out at about 245mph at 4,000 rpm (with an O-200) They used to make you chain the motor to the frame because some props would disintegrate at the high rpm's being run and the motor would actually rip off the airplane causing a slight cg problem. I decided there were better ways to risk your neck and only flew it for aerobatics and fun and no racing.

Juan y Juan

Carlos Fiesta - 6-17-2010 at 09:38 PM

Mike;

No August dates yet for Juan y Juan, but I'll keep you in the loop. Still thinking about the LA to Colorado River jet ski trip in late October and would love to hoist a beer with you at Serenidad if you are in the area...

yes pls do

capt. mike - 6-18-2010 at 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Carlos Fiesta
Mike;

No August dates yet for Juan y Juan, but I'll keep you in the loop. Still thinking about the LA to Colorado River jet ski trip in late October and would love to hoist a beer with you at Serenidad if you are in the area...

i will fly chase/ support for you.
i might be based in Havasu this fall so we'll see.