BajaNomad

Baja Mystery...Help find Larhonda Moore

shari - 6-8-2010 at 08:47 AM

A few days ago, a 2010 white toyota corolla with Oregon plates was found out in the boonies looking like it had been there at least a couple weeks...in a weird area where not many people venture close to Asuncion.

Word on the street, and from the police is that it is a rental car and had luggage in it with woman's and children's clothes..no mens stuff and some mouldy Kentucky Fried Chicken and junk food.

So I figured it's a long shot but ya never know..anybody out there had any clients with that vehicle lately...or anybody know of anybody missing from Oregon?

another baja mystery.....ready to be solved by nomad slueths.

[Edited on 7-10-2010 by shari]

DENNIS - 6-8-2010 at 09:01 AM

With the placa and VIN, the vehicle can be traced to origen in seconds. If the police don't feel inclined to use that rudamentary investigation procedure, it may be because they want the car.

tiotomasbcs - 6-8-2010 at 09:14 AM

DB Coopers escape mobile? Or, could be disciples of Rev Sun Yung Moon and they wandered off to wait for their space ship! Seriously, most likely stolen and taken for a joy ride, verdad?!

shari - 6-8-2010 at 09:16 AM

oh dennis...how astute! and so early in the morning!!!:....but...ummm.....well.... I just thought it might be a good idea to check in here.

there were lots of theories why someone would dump a car...insurance...payments...but a rental?? WTF? I'm hoping it was just stolen and dumped and the lady and child are OK.

[Edited on 6-9-2010 by shari]

surfer jim - 6-8-2010 at 09:22 AM

and speaking of mysteries....what became of the two elderly occupants of the U-Haul truck?.......maybe a connection here someplace.....:o

wilderone - 6-8-2010 at 09:40 AM

The fact that there is still the luggage inside is worrisome.

Woooosh - 6-8-2010 at 09:50 AM

and who doesn't finish their KFC?

BajaBlanca - 6-8-2010 at 09:55 AM

we had NO Oregon visitors ... but it sure sounds fishy ....

shari - 6-8-2010 at 10:19 AM

hmmmm....maybe you are onto something tio...it was found near a we known UFO landing mesa:cool:...

bizarre a low riding car like that even made it into where it was found.:?::?:

DENNIS - 6-8-2010 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
I didnt want to mention that....but...ummm.....well....you know...which is why I thought it might be a good idea to check in here.

Yeah....I know. It's OK to trash the establishment, but it's best to do it from a distance. Small town politics and all. :biggrin:

Osprey - 6-8-2010 at 11:07 AM

I think they'll be back to pick up the car. I don't see any foul play. If the bucket of KFC is Extra Crispy it should last for at least 14 days. I think they know that. I don't think we should be doing any mass conclusion jumping.

DENNIS - 6-8-2010 at 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
If the bucket of KFC is Extra Crispy it should last for at least 14 days.

For sure, Jorge. I always keep a few of the thighs in my tool box. It only takes one to grease a wheel bearing.

Mexitron - 6-8-2010 at 11:16 AM

Quote:
hmmmm....maybe you are onto something tio...it was found near a we known UFO landing mesa:cool:...

bizarre a low riding car like that even made it into where it was found.:?::?:

yikes, that's where we were camping last summer

shari - 6-8-2010 at 11:20 AM

oh yeah, I forgot to mention, the keys were in the ignition!!! dont think they'll be back.

Cypress - 6-8-2010 at 11:28 AM

Must be fowl play! Why else would they leave a perfectly good bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken uneaten? This has got to be one for the birds.

David K - 6-8-2010 at 11:59 AM

The Fallbrook family?

wessongroup - 6-8-2010 at 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
I think they'll be back to pick up the car. I don't see any foul play. If the bucket of KFC is Extra Crispy it should last for at least 14 days. I think they know that. I don't think we should be doing any mass conclusion jumping.

now that's funny.. its been so noticeable while down here that most local food does not last.. like stuff from the states...

went back up a couple of months ago, there were apples still in the crisper, that my wife bought in October of 2009... they were well over four months old.. and were still edible.. post harvest washes used to be used, many years ago.. would appear that it still is occurring..

Good, the fruit lasts a long time.. bad.. well now.. that is another really interesting topic..

But, looks like KFC is the choice for camping without refrigeration, at least for chicken :lol::lol:

capt. mike - 6-8-2010 at 01:34 PM

someone should check with the FBI's mexican reps.
there are many missing persons in mexico.
and - there could be a reward as well.

noproblemo2 - 6-8-2010 at 01:42 PM

Quote:
mouldy Kentucky Fried Chicken and junk food

another baja mystery.....ready to be solved by nomad slueths.

If it was "fowl" play, maybe they'll be back for the moldy KFC :lol:

Santiago - 6-8-2010 at 02:55 PM

Where's the closest KFC? Ensenada, LaPaz? That's a long way to drive with the ckicken unrefrigerated.

Iflyfish - 6-8-2010 at 03:24 PM

The FBI is a good option. Vin and Lic number are easily accessable and there is a data base for that. If this is an Oregon car then one can presume American citizens were driving it and the FBI would be interested in that.

If one knows where the vehicle is parked it would not be difficult to grab a quick look at the plates.

I don't think you can bring an Oregon rental into Mexico?? This does not sound good. I think this is important to look further into. Kidnapping comes to mind.

Iflyfish

Bajahowodd - 6-8-2010 at 04:18 PM

To amplify on that, very few rental companies will rent to folks heading into Mexico. my understanding is that those outlets are mainly in the San Diego border area. While it is not inconceivable that a car owned by a major concern could have ended up in San Diego, it is quite unlikely. As someone earlier posited, the McStays certainly make for a great story for an aspiring novelist.

AASelf - 6-8-2010 at 05:54 PM

It's a stretch, but there is a 7 year old boy missing from Oregon for several days now, maybe a week. Worth mentioning this car to the Oregon police looking for him maybe. You never know...

AASelf - 6-8-2010 at 06:05 PM

This is the tip line #: Multnomah County Sheriff
Tip-line
503-261-2847. Shari or anyone with info may want to call it. You never know. Here's the article. Long shot, but hey. Here's a link to the article.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37547980/

BajaBlanca - 6-8-2010 at 08:34 PM

no good news ? nada ????

BajaNomad - 6-8-2010 at 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AASelf
It's a stretch, but there is a 7 year old boy missing from Oregon for several days now, maybe a week. Worth mentioning this car to the Oregon police looking for him maybe. You never know...
He's been missing since Friday morning I believe. Received an email on this today - apparently the boy is classmates with a business associate's son at Skyline School.

Attaching the flyer from the email I received.

Shari indicated the car was found a few days ago - looking like it'd been abandoned for a couple of weeks.

Timing doesn't look right - but you never know.

[Edited on 6-9-2010 by BajaNomad]

kyron2.jpg - 50kB

Bob H - 6-8-2010 at 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
With the placa and VIN, the vehicle can be traced to origen in seconds. If the police don't feel inclined to use that rudamentary investigation procedure, it may be because they want the car.

Shari, I think Dennis is 'right on' here. This vehicle can be traced.

[Edited on 6-9-2010 by BajaNomad]

wilderone - 6-9-2010 at 07:42 AM

The local policia are grossly negligent in not following up on a proper investigation, given the circumstances and evidence. If this car ends up in the jefe's garage, I'm telling.

DianaT - 6-9-2010 at 08:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:
I didnt want to mention that....but...ummm.....well....you know...which is why I thought it might be a good idea to check in here.

You think that might be the case??

John and I sure hope the missing people are found alive and well.

BajaBruno - 6-9-2010 at 10:51 AM

Here's my theory. Mom and children rented a car and went to visit relatives in San Diego. A Mexican national stole the car in San Diego just after mom bought the chicken. The thief (thieves) drove the car towards home in Baja until it ran out of gas or had some other mechanical problem and then abandoned it. That seems realistic and avoids all the nefarious options.

Now, as for the police investigation, I think it is highly unlikley that the rural police in Baja have the hotline number to the FBI, which wouldn't be the appropriate agency to call anyway. They may try to call San Diego PD as the closest US police agency that could run a registration check, but it is a misdemeanor to give out registration information without a legitimate police purpose.

How would that dispatcher at SD PD know she was talking to a real police officer in Mexico who had a legimate police purpose for asking for that infomation? She wouldn't, so it's likely she would refuse to give the Mexican officer the information.

This is all just not as easy as we would like to think it is, under the circumstances of international borders and mistrust between agencies. No doubt they will figure it out eventually, but it will take time and coordination between the right people who have established a relationship with others across the border.

shari - 6-9-2010 at 10:56 AM

the car was way off any main road and was hidden in an arroyo.

bajaguy - 6-9-2010 at 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBruno

Now, as for the police investigation, I think it is highly unlikley that the rural police in Baja have the hotline number to the FBI, which wouldn't be the appropriate agency to call anyway. They may try to call San Diego PD as the closest US police agency that could run a registration check, but it is a misdemeanor to give out registration information without a legitimate police purpose.

How would that dispatcher at SD PD know she was talking to a real police officer in Mexico who had a legimate police purpose for asking for that infomation? She wouldn't, so it's likely she would refuse to give the Mexican officer the information.

This is all just not as easy as we would like to think it is, under the circumstances of international borders and mistrust between agencies. No doubt they will figure it out eventually, but it will take time and coordination between the right people who have established a relationship with others across the border.

The Mexican Federal Police and the Baja State Police have access to US DMV info through liaison agreements that are already in place. In addition, the San Diego Police have an International Liaison Unit (619) 531-2518 that works with their Mexican counterparts on a daily basis

There are several scenarios that could be in play here, and without additional information it would be foolish to speculate.

dtbushpilot - 6-9-2010 at 11:09 AM

I would go along with bajabruno's theory but the ending would be that the thief was near home (or his ultimate destination), ditched the car and caught a ride the rest of the way to his destination......dt

DENNIS - 6-9-2010 at 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBruno

Local police don't handle robbery or missing persons. They hand it over to the State Police. They have access to everything.

wessongroup - 6-9-2010 at 11:25 AM

without "speculation" where would we be ..... should have been some kind of award .. for the information provided on KFC .. :):)

DianaT - 6-9-2010 at 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
without "speculation" where would we be ..... should have been some kind of award .. for the information provided on KFC .. :):)

:yes::yes::yes:

And other than speculation and innuendos, I wonder if anyone really knows what the local police have done about this car???

wessongroup - 6-9-2010 at 11:36 AM

Perhaps Shari could help with your question...

DENNIS - 6-9-2010 at 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT

And other than speculation and innuendos, I wonder if anyone really knows what the local police have done about this car???

I'll bet they've put it in a safe place and had it washed of all those greasy fingerprints.

KFC

wessongroup - 6-9-2010 at 11:38 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I'll bet they've put it in a safe place and had it washed of all those greasy fingerprints.

:lol::lol:

comitan - 6-9-2010 at 01:30 PM

bajabruno's Theory won't hold water, Coming through the border with a rental car and being Mexican he would be sent to secondary where they would check the registration of the vehicle, also they check passports. Just went through the process.

Bob and Susan - 6-9-2010 at 01:34 PM

wiley...last week lots of cars just driving through

no checks
no delays
just drive across

i was in secondary watching for about 20 minutes

every 9 cars got a red light

dtbushpilot - 6-9-2010 at 04:23 PM

I went through Southbound twice last week, once about noon with no traffic and once around 4pm with a 1/2 mile back up on the US side. Green light both times, nobody there to give me a second look either time.....dt

BajaDanD - 6-9-2010 at 05:38 PM

Maybe the thieves ditched the car in a remote area because they were gonna come back for it after they found someone who could take it off their hands. Crime of opportunity by someone who maybe needed to hide it until they could get rid of it.

Maybe they ditched the car and stole a plane

noproblemo2 - 6-9-2010 at 05:49 PM

Border crossings seem to be luck of the draw, going both ways, depends on the mood of the supervisors/agents at the time. Tho we do find the Mexican side to be far more courteous in their demeanor...

wilderone - 6-9-2010 at 06:32 PM

I think the stolen car in San Diego or other California city (or anywhere south of Oregon) might have some merit. Would be very easy for a Mexican to cross into Mexico.; nobody would know it is a rental car. Could have been hijacked or stolen from hotel parking lot. Once in Baja, the thief hooked up with friends who helped ditch/hide the car. The rental company should be notified; the person who rented it probably reported the incident if that's the way it went down. Otherwise, we're back to kidnapping and someone maybe in trouble.

surfer jim - 6-9-2010 at 09:02 PM

So...did anybody report this to the Oregon "TIP" site?

Bajajorge - 6-10-2010 at 10:00 AM

In a matter of seconds this discussion went from possible stolen car, rape, murder, kidnapping:O to the shelf life of KFC chicken. God, do I love internet forums.:bounce::tumble::tumble:

tiotomasbcs - 6-10-2010 at 10:47 AM

Shari, any car tracks leading away from the site. Possibly those of an accomplice?!

Iflyfish - 6-10-2010 at 10:51 AM

Surfer Jim,

How is fishing there. It has been raining here in Oregon and most of the rivers are blown out, but will try my luck with salmon/crabs this week end.

:yes:

Iflyfish

DianaT - 6-10-2010 at 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
So...did anybody report this to the Oregon "TIP" site?

Don't know as the car is no longer in front of the police office.

DENNIS - 6-10-2010 at 07:34 PM

Quote:

Don't know as the car is no longer in front of the police office.

Gee...Where did it go?

Some years back here, I had friends who owned a fine car with Ca plates. They allowed their workier to take it to a service in town and the local police saw him driving it. These guys all went to school together and the cops knew it wasn't his.

They pulled him over, confiscated the car and from that moment it was on the owners to prove it was theirs and fifty other things.

They could not get their car back. They had to hire a big-bang attorney from DF who was living in Ensenada and not involved in the "good ol' boy" network to go to war for them.

Their luck and my gratification came into play.
I lived in town at that time and would take a daily ride on my beach-cruiser with my cameras through the streets of the city and out to the port area. It was all picturesqe for an open eye.

While peddling through the port by a large steel canopy over a "mile of cars" I noticed Ed and Dorris' car. It was scheuled to ship out to parts unknown on a freighter.

I called my landlord, who, at the time, was Procurador of the State Police and called in a marker, friend to friend, .........told him what was happening and the process with that car was stopped. It didn't go on the southbound boat and the owners got it back.

Point is..........who knows?

bajabound2005 - 6-11-2010 at 06:04 AM

Dennis, you really should write a book. You have a million great stories!

Cypress - 6-11-2010 at 06:15 AM

Was the car near a beach? Someone could have gone for a swim and been swept out to sea?

DENNIS - 6-11-2010 at 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005

If only I could remember most of them. :lol:

I forgot to mention in that story up there....what the owners of the car had to do first and foremost in their defense was get an FM3. They couldn't even be represented by an attorney without being legal in the country.
So...for all you folks who think being legal isn't necessary........

shari - 6-11-2010 at 09:11 AM

the car was found miles from any beach and not in a place it may have broken down enroute to somewhere...it was in fine running order with keys in the ignition which was nice of whoever put it there.

BajaBlanca - 6-11-2010 at 11:23 AM

Dennis mentions how important it is to be legal ... on our trip to Europe last year, we landed in England in March , flew to Poland then drove thru ELEVEN countries. Back to Poland and in August, we were ready to fly out. At the airport, the ticket agent looks at my passport and says ... you overextended your stay in Poland. Since there are no more official border crossings when traveling by car nowadays, I had NO stamps in my passport. I panicked ... and we had packed everything that could "prove" we had been traveling. I am envisioning jail, courts, judgements and literally just panicking. Eventually, I suggest we look at pics on my laptop which show the pics/dates of where we were. Agent agrees, the first pic is of me in front of the Eiffel Tower. OK, she says. You may go home.

So, after all is said and done, I asked what the punishment would've been if I hadnt been able to prove I had been out of the country (mind you, I am married to Polish husband but that does not make a difference there)

are you ready ????????????????????????????????

ta dahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

punishment is $5 fine. that's it. joke was on me !!!:fire:

DENNIS - 6-11-2010 at 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
So, after all is said and done, I asked what the punishment would've been if I hadnt been able to prove I had been out of the country (mind you, I am married to Polish husband but that does not make a difference there)

are you ready ????????????????????????????????

ta dahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

punishment is $5 fine. that's it. joke was on me !!!:fire:

He was hoping the abject shame of it all would scar you for life. :lol:

oldjack - 6-11-2010 at 01:05 PM

I really like a good Polish joke!!!

Timo1 - 6-11-2010 at 01:50 PM

My theory is that the aliens that usually land there deposited the car because of over weight problems
Oh...by the way...Aliens hate KFC

DENNIS - 6-11-2010 at 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Timo1
Oh...by the way...Aliens hate KFC

They do? You should see the KFC in San Ysidro.

shari - 6-13-2010 at 06:03 PM

Quick update...the car was taken by the Ministerio Publico and yesterday the police came by to ask if we'd seen her and dropped off a photo of the driver of the car that says Missing Person, Larhonda Moore, african american female, 30 years old, 5' and 100 pounds.

DENNIS - 6-13-2010 at 06:34 PM

Thanks, Shari....Any mention of children to go with those clothes in the car?

shari - 6-13-2010 at 06:44 PM

we were out in San Roque so Sirena talked to the policia...here is the sheet they dropped off with the photo and call this number if you have any info on her
615-1661-5247

DSC05403.JPG - 40kB

BMG - 6-13-2010 at 06:50 PM

I wonder why they are distributing her social security number.

shari - 6-13-2010 at 06:59 PM

she's been missing since the first of the month and police say she's schizofrenic(sp) and her family is worried about her....

gnukid - 6-13-2010 at 08:16 PM

Quote:
Quick update...the car was taken by the Ministerio Publico and yesterday the police came by to ask if we'd seen her and dropped off a photo of the driver of the car that says Missing Person, Larhonda Moore, african american female, 30 years old, 5' and 100 pounds.

Correction Larhonda Moore: physical statistics are listed as 42 years old, 150lbs

Let's keep our eyes open for her.

dtbushpilot - 6-13-2010 at 08:44 PM

She's got some crazy looking hair.....

She should be easy to spot in Baja..... if she is actually in Baja....

[Edited on 6-14-2010 by dtbushpilot]

Mexicorn - 6-13-2010 at 08:51 PM

Guy's I'll keep an eye up here in northern Baja. Ask all the bartenders to keep an ear out for anyone who matches her description from the locals.
Hopefully she will turn up OK.

dtbushpilot - 6-13-2010 at 09:09 PM

Come on, really, how many black women do you see by themselves or otherwise in Baja? If someone was really interested in finding her there should be plenty of leads....assuming that she was actually in Baja and not the victim of a stolen car in the US.....

DENNIS - 6-13-2010 at 09:33 PM

WOW.....They're stacking up. A little White boy with a birthmark on his face and a Black gal who's walking around talking to the voices in her head.
I suppose Jesus and Napoleon will be joining this elusive band before too long.

SiReNiTa - 6-15-2010 at 09:24 AM

The police came by the other day and confirmed that the woman was in fact the one from the car, and that there were no childrens clothes in the bags (that seems to be a local rumor).
Supposedly they think that she is somewhere in the surrounding area of Vizcaino, Asuncion, Tortugas, Bocana, or another of the close by towns.

She is said to be bipolar as well as schizofrenic(sp).

Bajatripper - 6-15-2010 at 10:05 AM

Quote:
Supposedly they think that she is somewhere in the surrounding area of Vizcaino, Asuncion, Tortugas, Bocana, or another of the close by towns.

She is said to be bipolar as well as schizofrenic(sp).

This makes more sense. The military check points would have represented a problem for the robbery scenario, since a U.S.-plated car in the hands of a Mexican thief would have aroused suspicions. Now a big, white touristy-type thief, on the other hand...

Steve

PS: glad to hear no children are involved.

shari - 7-10-2010 at 07:31 AM

I received a letter from her friend and neighbour who somehow saw this thread and wrote me. She said Lahonda was a nice, quiet woman who just got her real estate license and it was strange she just disappeared one day....she lived in Ohio...not Oregon.

DENNIS - 7-10-2010 at 07:39 AM

Quote:
I received a letter from her friend and neighbour who somehow saw this thread and wrote me. She said Lahonda was a nice, quiet woman who just got her real estate license and it was strange she just disappeared one day....she lived in Ohio...not Oregon.

The investigation on this must have been as pee-poor or non-existant as one can get. people don't just vanish into thin air.

fishabductor - 7-10-2010 at 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
She's got some crazy looking hair.....

She should be easy to spot in Baja..... if she is actually in Baja....

[Edited on 6-14-2010 by dtbushpilot]

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bajatripper - 7-11-2010 at 12:34 PM

Is this woman still missing? About two weeks ago I saw a woman matching this description walking the malecon in the late afternoon with an elderly white lady. I will keep an eye out for her now.

EnsenadaDr - 10-20-2013 at 06:17 PM

wow Dennis, how opinions have changed in a matter of a few years..what have you done to deserve it??? It truly is interesting to review past posts, what was then and what is now:wow:
Quote:

shari - 10-20-2013 at 07:19 PM

interestingly....a few months ago the police said they found Larhonda's body in the same area where her car was found....and found by the same guy:o
I wonder if they identified her with dental records? There must not have been much left of the woman after so long. Another mystery.

DENNIS - 10-20-2013 at 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
wow Dennis, how opinions have changed in a matter of a few years..what have you done to deserve it??? It truly is interesting to review past posts, what was then and what is now:wow:
Quote:

That's funny.
I have to talk with my agent to reestablish my fan base. :lol:

mtgoat666 - 10-20-2013 at 08:26 PM

Quote:
interestingly....a few months ago the police said they found Larhonda's body in the same area where her car was found....and found by the same guy:o
I wonder if they identified her with dental records? There must not have been much left of the woman after so long. Another mystery.

Got a map of the location? Sure is suspicious that same guy found both, if you see him in a dark alley, run, don't walk! :!:

shari - 10-21-2013 at 07:12 AM

it may seem suspicious all right but there are people in the outback here who have their favorite spots for collecting things...like herbs such as damiana, pithayas, other medicinal plants, or building materials like certain rock types, sand, gravel etc. or maybe fossil hunting off the beaten track. It is not uncommon and sort of makes sense taking that into consideration....hmmm...I'm such an optimist or just plain naive.