BajaNomad

Coco assessment trip

dizzyspots - 6-14-2010 at 02:28 PM

I will let lance from www.disabledexplorers.com post the details of the actual prosthetic assessment, but suffice to say that Coco at an amazing 73 yrs old is exited about getting legs..." want to walk"
The trip included the W.A.V.E. ( wheelchair accessible vehicle for expeditions) Sportsmobile, the factory demo Sportsmobile and my FJ and Venturcraft off road trailer.
We met in Yuma, crossed at San Luis...traveled acros the agricultural area (LOTS of road construction...use the toll roads instead) to Mex 5...lots of new Mex 5 being built...graded road parallel the not yet open new stretches) hassle-free military checkpoints
The new Gonzaga Road is spectacular as Mexican highways go, complete with a couple of scenic overlooks, multiple access areas to exit and visit campos, coves, etc. WATCH OUT FOR ROCKS...on the way down there were many baseball size rocks in the road, in the areas where they had obviuosly blasted thru the "Three Sisters" area...on the way back, they had "grown" to basketball size and in some areas block the lane of travel, forcing travel in the other lane (the warning sign for "falling rocks" comes AFTER the falling rock area) It was also very windy driving thru the higher passes...after about 19.8 miles...the road is blocked by a pile of gravel...NOT MARKED ahead of time...there is a visual illusion as you approach...you will see another mile or so of completed new road ahead of you...but may not notice the 3 foot high pile of dk gray gravel until the last minute!!...left turn onto a wide, nicely grade road for about 6-7 more miles , then it's back to the old Gonzaga Road, which as described by other is as bad as its ever been.
Our trip from SAN FELIPE Malecon to Ranch Grande Market took a total of about 3 hours

We went to see Coco on Sat morning, but a slight miscommunication left him thinking that we were supposed to...to be continued

Marc - 6-16-2010 at 09:26 PM

We stopped at Coco's in August '08. He was away. I think that's when his leg was taken

Desertbull - 6-18-2010 at 02:32 PM

Who is Coco?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbYvcLBFCJM