BajaNomad

Kayak fishing anyone used one of these?

Iflyfish - 6-15-2010 at 03:06 PM

I am considering the purchase of a Hobie Mirage, what do you think of it? Ever been in one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwFsDu2fNXk

Here is another link, guy catching a dorado in one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bJQcLG03HI&feature=relat...

Another link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbr9Q36KAgc&feature=relat...

The ultimate kayak fish!! :bounce:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NfK15_x6ws&NR=1

300 lb Marlin out of a kayak!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqVEvNocKTA&feature=chann...

Iflyfish

[Edited on 6-15-2010 by Iflyfish]

kaybaj - 6-15-2010 at 03:30 PM

I've had an outback for about a year and a half and love it. It's great for fishing because it leaves your hands free. I put maybe on 4-6 miles a trip. caught some yellowtail last season. the outback is very stable but a little slower than the revolution. of course the rev. is a little less stable.

taoswheat - 6-15-2010 at 03:54 PM

I have had a Hobie Outback for a couple of years now. Use it in San Carlos (Guaymas). I am pretty old but have ski legs and can make 5-8 miles trolling if the water and wind cooperate. Having a rudder that stays where you set it and free hands for fishing is great. On my first trip to San Carlos I used a paddle kayak and the Outback wins hands down for me. It is very stable, and as a result, a bit slower than the long skinny machines, but great for fishing. If you want to loaf a bit, there is a new motor and battery available for only $1800 or so. You get something like 2 mph for 8 hours on a charge.

Cypress - 6-15-2010 at 04:01 PM

Iflyfish, For fishing, pedalling beats paddling any day. The only way to go.:bounce:

Bob and Susan - 6-15-2010 at 05:00 PM

nope...motor beats ALL:spingrin:

maspacifico - 6-15-2010 at 05:02 PM

A friend got a Hobie a little while ago after hearing about all the fish I was getting! I wasn't convinced till I saw him on it and going faster than I could....and I've since seen another one with a hot rod version of the mirage drive that was even faster. Not sure about getting through waves to get out though. My friend launches in flat water. As soon as I win the lottery......

bajamedic - 6-15-2010 at 05:15 PM

My friend/neighbor uses one to fish for salmon and steelhead on the Trinity River in Northern California and the water moves fairly quickly, he loves it, I would prefer the motor also. JH

Iflyfish - 6-15-2010 at 11:30 PM

Thanks for the feedback, will explore more. Looks like fun! This ain't your grandpa's kayak!

Iflyfish

willyAirstream - 6-16-2010 at 06:55 AM

I hadn't seen these before, thanks for the heads up. A sail kit for only $310, whaa hoo. This looks to be a better alternative to a Zodiac with a sail kit. Less room, but easier to haul around, would sail faster and the pedal drive is a treat.

bajasammy - 6-16-2010 at 08:47 AM

We just got one of these recently, and absolutely love it! If they weren't so pricey I'd have a fleet of them for the family. The only problem now is that no one wants to use the other Kayaks.

Here's a picture of my son with the first fish caught using the Hobie...

KayakFirstFish.jpg - 36kB

Sallysouth - 6-16-2010 at 09:30 AM

What a neat rig!Hope he threw that baby back to grow up.I recognize Estero Bay .Great spot for one of those.

bajasammy - 6-16-2010 at 10:01 AM

Yeah, we sent him on his way right after the picture. The pedals really make it so easy to fish on these things. When I get the urge for a quick solo fish it's so much easier to drag this down rather than drop in the 14' klamath!

Iflyfish - 6-16-2010 at 11:19 AM

Good one bajasammy, will be in Estero come Nov! I will go after his uncle!

Iflyfish

Santiago - 6-16-2010 at 09:55 PM

Iflyfish: There's a guy in Asuncion that uses them and launches in surf. Goes out nearly every day. Check with Shari and maybe you can get info from him.

Barbareno - 6-17-2010 at 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
Iflyfish: There's a guy in Asuncion that uses them and launches in surf. Goes out nearly every day. Check with Shari and maybe you can get info from him.

Yeah...he has encouraged me to pick one up when driving through the States. Kevin loves his. I know there is a picture of him somewhere with a yellow tail he caught. I'll look for it.

Barbareno - 6-17-2010 at 05:33 AM

Nice catch......double whammy.

[Edited on 6-17-2010 by Barbareno]

Iflyfish - 6-17-2010 at 03:59 PM

That's what I am talking about and that is one of the places I am talking about!! I will contact Shari and see what she knows.

Thanks,

Iflyfish

fishabductor - 6-17-2010 at 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan

amen to that!!

Barbareno - 6-18-2010 at 05:34 AM

http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/index.html

I'm going to pick up the Hobie sport. Weighs less then 50 lbs.

shari - 6-18-2010 at 08:23 AM

well allrighty then...sounds like an Asuncion Kayak Fishing Derby coming up!!

toneart - 6-18-2010 at 08:56 AM

Can't find a base price. Anybody know?

willyAirstream - 6-18-2010 at 09:03 AM

Google "hobie mirage outback for sale" for example and it will bring up dealers and prices. Some on ebay too.

Shopping results for hobie mirage outback for sale

Hobie Mirage Outback Kayak 2010
$1,749.00 new - Austin Kayak
HOBIE MIRAGE OUTBACK
$1,749.00 new - Clear Water Outdoor
Hobie Mirage Outback Ultimate Kayak Fishing Package
$2,131.75 new - Kayak Fishing Supplies

Iflyfish - 6-18-2010 at 10:53 AM

This isn't your gandad's kayak!

Iflyfishwithkayaklustinmyheart

bajasammy - 6-18-2010 at 05:00 PM

Willy's got the prices about right. They're kind of like buying a Weber Grill. No matter where you buy it the price will be the same ;)

We got ours slightly used on Craig's List but they go like Hotcakes! The person I bought from said they had offers for more than what the asking price was after I already agreed to buy it.

taoswheat - 6-18-2010 at 07:00 PM

That Ultimate Fishing Machine looks awesome, but it does have one wart- weight is 135# according to Austin Canoe and Kayak site. I am pretty old and my Outback at 75# gives me a workout single handing it onto my SUV. I might not be able to handle a 135# machine. www.austinkayak.com has good description, accessories, and prices. That is where I bought my Outback two years ago.

DavidT - 6-18-2010 at 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan

They've got 'em.
http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/accessory_details/accessory...

willyAirstream - 6-18-2010 at 07:50 PM

Might want to ck that. On the Hobie site, it lists outback and outfitter at 62 - 72 lbs. You can handle that! ;D motor is an additional 18 lbs;D:

means i might be able to get it on top of the airstream ;D

[Edited on 6-19-2010 by willyAirstream]

taoswheat - 6-20-2010 at 07:54 PM

I meant the Mirage Pro Angler is 138# per Hobie web site. It is an awesome fishing machine but heavy.