BajaNomad

A Double Shakedown in Constitución

Pages:  1    3  4

oladulce - 6-19-2010 at 12:55 AM

We've been in Cd. Const every 3-4 wks either passing thru on the way to La Paz, or for banking and groceries and knew it was only a matter of time before we'd fall victim to the sharks in the blue uniforms that so many others have been reporting.

I've read reports from people who have been pulled over by the police in Cd Const twice on the same trip on their way to and from la Paz , but here's the doozy we experienced 2 days ago. We were pulled over 2 times before we even left the city limits! Once as we entered town and 10 min later as we were leaving.

I'll preface the story by saying we always drive at, or under the speed limit no matter how slow that is, and stop completely at intersections, and stop for pedestrians etc.

One block after the statue intersection on the North end of Constitucion, a cop standing on the sidewalk blew his whistle and waved us over. He asked for my husband BigWooo's license and then said "Hey, you're from Las Barrancas aren't you? Remember when you bought beer for Tito and I?" We're not from Las Barrancas, but we do know Tito and this cop looked a little familiar so we just smiled and sort of nodded without really confirming or denying about the cerveza part.

The cop waved and said "No no, put your license away. After you pull back on to the highway, stay in the center lane so you can avoid the 'retén' ahead and have a good trip".

He waved us on and we pulled away and moved to the center lane of the Southbound highway. 2 blocks beyond there were a couple of cops standing on the side service road next to their truck, who appeared to be looking for cars to pull over also. I don't know how, or if, these 2 groups were working together.

About 10 min later we had passed the Super Ley and were almost out of the South end of town when BigWooo says "uh oh, here we go" and we get the red lights and siren of a different cop truck. We pull over again and the guy asks for Wooo's license. Wooo shows the guy his license but refuses to let him have it in his hands.

The cop insists he needs to hold the license but Wooo is persistent and tells him he'll gladly hold it up for him to look at but will not hand it over. The cop went to his truck and returned with a ticket book and pointed to rule #8 which said something about "failure to provide license or ID".

As he was reluctantly handing over his license, Wooo asked the cop why he had pulled us over and the man replied in rapid spanish , something about a "stoplight and a niño". Since there were no pedestrians at any of the corners at the previous intersection, we knew we were getting the imaginary-pedestrian-in-a-crosswalk scam that we'd heard about recently.

Wooo's patience was wearing thin and his volume was increasing as he said we'll go to the cop shop and sort it out. The cop said the station was closed for 3 more hours. Wooo told him the police station does not close, and he has many friends on the department so lets go talk to them ( actually it's just the 2 local cops in our little town). The guy paused, returned the license, then walked back and got in his truck.

We had barely pulled away from the curb and they already had another gringo pulled over behind us. He wasn't even back in his truck long enough to witness a violation by another vehicle.

Today, on the drive back thru Cd Const I saw one cop car as we passed through town.

This situation is so ridiculous that it's funny, but not really. The next time may not be as easy and it makes you really dread having to go thru that town.

[Edited on 7-2-2010 by oladulce]

capt. mike - 6-19-2010 at 07:10 AM

do you live in las barrancas?
we used to run the clinic there for the Sams.
the strip became unsafe and town wouldn't fix it so we quit.
i like that town, very smallish. but nice beaches.
what's the latest there?

longlegsinlapaz - 6-19-2010 at 07:25 AM

Zeeeeesh! Maybe the PD in Constitucion needs to start putting stickers on your windshield like the Red Cross does once you donate.:lol: I don't suppose the old line "I already gave" is too effective?

Sounds like everyone who is stopped on bogus mordita "infractions" ought to be going to the PD & registering official complaints & if (when) it still continues, start reporting it up the chain of command however far up it needs to go get this BS squelched!!:no:

monoloco - 6-19-2010 at 07:50 AM

This is a good example of why you should always call their bluff and demand to go to the station. I have had them pull the station is closed routine both times I was pulled over there.

oladulce - 6-19-2010 at 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
...do you live in las barrancas?

We're a little farther North Capt, which is where I think the cop recognized us from, but we thought it best not to correct him and smiled and nodded.

I forgot to mention that taking side streets wouldn't have made a difference in either case- the first cop was positioned before the start of the divided highway now that i think of it, and before an side streets. The 2nd truck was sitting at the far end of town beyond any parallel roads that I'm familiar with.

Also, the first guy looked at our front license plate as we approached before flagging us over and I think the 2nd guys looked at our rear plate as we drove by them. So removing the front South Dakota plate may have been 50% effective.

I like the sticker idea LLinLP, or maybe a colorful ribbon on the antenna. Considering we would have been hassled 3 times in that 1.5 mile stretch had we pulled on to the service road, might as well fly a driving-while-gringo flag.

DENNIS - 6-19-2010 at 08:24 AM

The time-tested method of engaging in a Mexican Stand-Off is to look the cop in the eye, grin slightly and drool like a baby. Don't engage in conversation, resist or do anything but drool.
Believe me, he won't know what to do next and will let you go as a bad investment of his time. :lol:

capt. mike - 6-19-2010 at 08:52 AM

also throw up on yourself is good too, in many situations.
if being mugged Steve Martin says throw up on your money.
i like that. but yeah - drooling is good!

Udo - 6-19-2010 at 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS Don't engage in conversation, resist or do anything but drool.
:lol:

How does one drool on command, DENNIS:?::?:

All I can think of is if one of the Tecate beer models walked in front of the car, or if I am looking at a Copper River Salmon on the grille. Neither of which is likely.:lol::bounce::o

DENNIS - 6-19-2010 at 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

How does one drool on command, DENNIS:?::?:

Just pretend you're a dog named Winston. Arn't all Bulldogs named Winston? :lol:

DENNIS - 6-19-2010 at 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
also throw up on yourself is good

Oh, yeah...that a good one. Never fails.
Another method from the book says always wear dark pants while driving through Cd. Constitución. That way it shows better when you stand in front of the cop and pee all over yourself. It may sound radical, but the results are worth it.
A few Pacificos before you enter town will prime the pump, so to speak.
SALUD and have a safe trip. :lol::lol:

chnlisle - 6-19-2010 at 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
We've been in Cd. Const every 3-4 wks either passing thru on the way to La Paz, or for banking and groceries and knew it was only a matter of time before we'd fall victim to the sharks in the blue uniforms that so many others have been reporting.

I emailed a copy of your post to:

LIC. ALBERTO TREVIÑO ANGULO
SECRETARÍA DE TURISMO
Gobierno de Baja California Sur
KM. 5.5 CARRT. AL NORTE FRACC. FIDEPAZ
Correo: atrevino@gbcs.gob
Teléfono: 12-404 24

DianaT - 6-19-2010 at 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
The time-tested method of engaging in a Mexican Stand-Off is to look the cop in the eye, grin slightly and drool like a baby. Don't engage in conversation, resist or do anything but drool.
Believe me, he won't know what to do next and will let you go as a bad investment of his time. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

That is classic!

Bajatripper - 6-19-2010 at 10:42 AM

This cop gig at Cd. Constitucion is bordering on the ridiculous. We need more actions like chnlisle's above. I'm thinking someone with some "palanca" in local politics (Jesse, we need you) might want to bring this situation to the attention of someone who can do something about it.

Iflyfish - 6-19-2010 at 11:11 AM

chnlisle

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Good one. I have saved this address and hope all Nomads do and USE IT!

Iflyfishinspiteofcraplikethis

DENNIS - 6-19-2010 at 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajatripper
This cop gig at Cd. Constitucion is bordering on the ridiculous. We need more actions like chnlisle's above. I'm thinking someone with some "palanca" in local politics (Jesse, we need you) might want to bring this situation to the attention of someone who can do something about it.

Jesse has to live with them, so to speak. It's a delicate situation for him to be fighting city hall. The payback can be brutal for a businessman down here.
I think the tourist or guest would have more clout anyway. That's the demographic the cities are trying to ingratiate.

RnR - 6-19-2010 at 12:36 PM

Does anyone know where the police station is?

I know this was asked before but the responses were not very specific. How about locating it on Google maps or Google earth? I'm willing to call their bluff and drive directly to the station, as in; "Fine, Let's go. I know the way and I'll lead." Just need to know where it is so I can talk and gesture in the correct direction with confidence.

I'll be heading down in a few months and want to be prepared. I don't mind bringing money for the Mexican economy in general, just not for somebody's individual economy!

Curt63 - 6-19-2010 at 01:49 PM

I should have posted this sooner, but 2 weeks ago our lead vehicle ran a stopsign that had been placed at a broken stoplight in Constitucion. This was a motorcycle cop that pulled him over. By the time we got out of town, we saw three other gringos get pulled over. Unfortunately my friend didnt know the drill and handed over 500 pesos.

We met 3 other gringos in our travels during the next week that had been pulled over in Constitucion.

HERE IS THE TRICK

when you get to the stoplights, you need to go east 2 blocks and travel up the dirt road with the stop signs (far fewer than stoplights).

Good luck

more pullover stories in upcoming posts

DavidE - 6-19-2010 at 03:03 PM

WHERE OH WHERE.....

Is the notation that anyone has filled out a complaint form with the green angels?

This is a federal complaint form and it generates a ton of paperwork for an accused party and they do not -repeat- do not slip it into the wastebasket.

But, sadly, I am whistling in the wind here :-(

DENNIS - 6-19-2010 at 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
WHERE OH WHERE.....

Is the notation that anyone has filled out a complaint form with the green angels?

Where are they when you need them?

Santiago - 6-19-2010 at 03:50 PM

What do yo think would happen if you took out your cell phone, took a picture of the cop and said you were going to texted it to Sindicatura in La Paz? Would this be foolish?

fandango - 6-19-2010 at 04:02 PM

i have a gopro camera that sits on my dash, if i get stopped i will turn it towards the window and tape the encounter.

Iflyfish - 6-19-2010 at 04:11 PM

I hope that public officials are reading this site. It is just this sort of thing that is keeping people from the US visiting Mexico. It is part of the reason I am not going to the mainland this winter. I had hoped to stop in Constitution and spend the night, eat out in a restaurant there, I know that they were hit hard by the hurricane and I like that town, but if this does not stop then I will NEVER stop in Constitution and I hope others will not stop also.

We have been given a contact point in the Dept of Tourism and I hope we will use it when ever we run into this sort of illegal behavior.

Iflyfish

longlegsinlapaz - 6-19-2010 at 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
WHERE OH WHERE.....

This is a federal complaint form and it generates a ton of paperwork for an accused party and they do not -repeat- do not slip it into the wastebasket.

But, sadly, I am whistling in the wind here :-(

DavidE, WHY do you think you're whistling in the wind??:?:

Where can you get a copy of the form? Does it have to be initiated by the Green Angels? Could anyone get a copy of the form & submit it? Do you know the name of the form or have the form number??

This is the first I've heard of this one & I'm betting the first that many have heard of it. I sincerely believe that more would complete & turn the form in than would opt to continue to submit to harassment & mordita threats.

Come on....share!:bounce:

Santiago, you try the cell phone trick & let us know how that works out for you! I personally wouldn't try that for fear of immediate retribution....they DO have guns ya know! I ain't flipping a coin to decide the odds of which officers might actually have bullets on any given day!:no::no:

DENNIS - 6-19-2010 at 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
What do yo think would happen if you took out your cell phone, took a picture of the cop and said you were going to texted it to Sindicatura in La Paz? Would this be foolish?

If I were a cop, I'd take it away from you and smash it into a billion pieces on the ground, then fine you for littering.

Curt63 - 6-19-2010 at 05:07 PM

Friends, this is a no brainer.

1. Be polite

2. repeat after me " write me a ticket"

3. Repeat after me " take me to the police station"

However, if they plant drugs on you, reach for that wallet

monoloco - 6-19-2010 at 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
I think a better plan would be to use the record function on your cell phone to secretly record your conversation with the cop and play it back for the commandante.

oldjack - 6-19-2010 at 05:42 PM

maybe one of you brave souls that have the info could tell the rest of us who the Commandante is.... it would be worthwhile to stop at the office and share with him/her what concerns we Nomads have about our travels and reluctance to stop in Ciudad Const. to have meals or spend the night... maybe that is pollyanish but it might be worth a try and benefit all who pass through there...

DENNIS - 6-19-2010 at 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldjack
maybe one of you brave souls that have the info could tell the rest of us who the Commandante is.... it would be worthwhile to stop at the office and share with him/her what concerns we Nomads have about our travels and reluctance to stop in Ciudad Const. to have meals or spend the night... maybe that is pollyanish but it might be worth a try and benefit all who pass through there...

I don't know which Comandante folks are talking about, but if it's the police comandante, he got his job for accumulating the most Shakedown merit badges.
Anybody who thinks he'll lend a sympathetic ear is delusional.
They are all part of the same system.

Bajatripper - 6-19-2010 at 06:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajatripper

Jesse has to live with them, so to speak. It's a delicate situation for him to be fighting city hall. The payback can be brutal for a businessman down here.
I think the tourist or guest would have more clout anyway. That's the demographic the cities are trying to ingratiate.

I agree with your point in general, Dennis. But given that this situation involves local cops up in Cd. Constitucion, I doubt that there are too many folks here in the municipal of La Paz that would get their hair up in a dander over an informal complaint--indeed, just let people higher up know what's going on up there--and perhaps someone from the State, or even Federal, level might tell them that they are going too far. Quite possibly Mexican officials don't know what's going on in Cd. Constitucion, since it only affects foreigners. And these days, with the economic crisis and all, the last thing State and Federal officials want is to discourage us from coming.

My personal experience with the local tourist office was: if you aren't looking to make a sizable investment here, don't bother us. But perhaps that mentality has changed.

Steve

DENNIS - 6-19-2010 at 06:24 PM

I don't know, Steve. The law enforcement community is smaller than we think and it only takes a phone call to bring them closer together.
Anyway, you touched on the answer to it all, tourism. Make enough noise as to affect the confidence of tourists and the government will take notice and solve the problem. That's how it worked with the toll road crime up here a few years back.

Debra - 6-19-2010 at 06:32 PM

I hope it's not the same Secratery of Toursim that caused the death of that man a few years ago, after the ever changing demand on his family for more money. The Drs. in Ensanada told them over and over again that he needed to be treated in SD....End result, too late, he's dead! :fire: Don't think I'd rely on him for help, afterall, it was him who hit the family. Great for Tourism!

offshore_day - 6-19-2010 at 09:38 PM

was just in Constitucion about a week ago, saw the police set up in the frontage lanes on the right stopping cars, fortunately I moved into the left lane of the central lanes and made it by. Did my business and left town using back streets. But did get stopped leaving Insurgentes, questioned as to my destination, they appeared to look in to see if I had my seat belt on and let me go.

The Sculpin - 6-19-2010 at 10:38 PM

Glad to hear you made it through that adventure unscathed, Oladulce! How's Chino doing? Haven't been down there in sooooo long. We'll be at Punta Hughes (Santa Maria) over the 4th for Mrs. Sculpin's Bday. Looks like we'll have it to ourselves!!

oladulce - 6-19-2010 at 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sculpin
Glad to hear you made it through that adventure unscathed, Oladulce! How's Chino doing? Haven't been down there in sooooo long. We'll be at Punta Hughes (Santa Maria) over the 4th for Mrs. Sculpin's Bday. Looks like we'll have it to ourselves!!

Being retired makes a world of difference. Increases the tolerance level when you don't have to worry about being delayed for work because of foolishness like this.

You twos have fun out there Sculpin!

Alan - 6-20-2010 at 06:57 AM

The front page of the latest Baja Citizen reports that as a result of growing pressure from several businesses within EMPHROTUR (La Paz's Hotel and Tourism Enterprises Association) La Paz mayor Rosa Delia Cota Montano has prioritized training for local city police to improve service to tourists. The article goes on to say they will be distributing formal complaint forms to local hotels and car rental agencies beginning June 15th so they have an official document to file complaints.

Don't mean to sound polly-annish and have no idea if forms have actually been distributed anywhere but the EMPHROTUR office on 16 Sept between Madero and Revelucion may be interested in the gauntlet tourist need to run in CD Constitucion in order to get to La Paz. It could be a winning situation for them as it is an opportunity to take a decisive action and place the blame on another city's cops.

snowcat5 - 6-20-2010 at 07:36 AM

I have been stopped almost every time I have gone thru Constitution over the last 4-5 years- about 4 times a year. Usually the cop wants a bribe, 200 - 800 pesos. Twice I have gone to the police station to pay my fine- both times the Commander backed-up his cop and demanded that I pay him or have my car and gear impounded- I paid. Once, I was stopped by two local cops who claimed my trailer lights weren't working: when I walked to the rear of my trailer to check the second cop ripped my wiring from the plug and said in perfect English, " Here's your problem; the wires are broken, you should have checked them before you left home". It cost me $20. to get out of there. I hate to pay the bribes but from what I've seen you will get no relief from the local police management. It does not matter if you are on the Federal Highway or the town streets; the local cops will stop people on any of the roads thru town. I will spend no money in Constitution ever, if I can help it. The newer Pemex North ( West side of road) of town is well known by the locals to short-liter you, and they will try to short-change you if you let them.

KAT54 - 6-20-2010 at 07:48 AM

Does everyone get shortchanged at the pemex?
Or just gringos?
Can not you call a Mexican agency for gas measurements?
If you hate that gas station, why do you use it?
Did you have a loose wire?
Did you get a receipt for the fine?
Did you talk to the Highway Patrol?

DENNIS - 6-20-2010 at 07:57 AM

Maybe it's time to get the San Diego Union involved. This city has gone berserk with mordida to the point that it's a story.
In the meantime, spread the mantra...."Don't go to or through Ciudad Constitución."
Hurt their business and the business of all points south. Your personal complaints will fall on deaf ears regardless who is printing forms to report rampant mordida. As long as the money travels through that crap hole, the police will demand you share it with them.
The only thing that will stop this atrocity is pressure from the business communities to the south. Let them demand change. They'll get it.

backninedan - 6-20-2010 at 08:06 AM

Perhaps we need to set up an area on each end of town for gringos to gather and go via caravan.............nahhhhh

Santiago - 6-20-2010 at 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by backninedan
Perhaps we need to set up an area on each end of town for gringos to gather and go via caravan.............nahhhhh

I think this would work - have you guys forgot everything you learned in the 60s? About 30 or 40 cars simply start cruising the main - everytime someone get pulled over, everyone drives up, gets out, surrounds the cop and starts taking pictures and giving him crap. Others walk into stores, hotels, restaurants and give the owners fliers that point out that no one will ever spend any money in this town if this keeps up. Go back day after day after day with Jefferson Airplane "Start a Revolution" blasting from the CD. Walk into the local fish wrap en-mass and demand that someone grow a pair and actually start reporting this stuff. Be more belligerent that they. When they give you the red light, simply refuse to stop - everyone drive up behind the cop and start honking their horns until the guy goes nuts and starts shooting. Make a big f***ing scene and go home that night and remember what it's like to be alive and change something.................nahhhhhhh stay home and talk about it on the 'puter.
God I loved the 60's.

Alan - 6-20-2010 at 09:21 AM

Quote:
In the meantime, spread the mantra...."Don't go to or through Ciudad Constitución."
Without four-wheeling I really don't know how to by-pass this town completely. I would love to know of a way to do it

DENNIS - 6-20-2010 at 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
Quote:
Without four-wheeling I really don't know how to by-pass this town completely. I would love to know of a way to do it

I know some people have no choice since their life is south, but I'm directing this suggestion to tourists. If they want to be part of an effort to bring change, don't go there. Go elsewhere.
Solidarity is next to impossible for Americans to achieve. We're so into our own agenda, but a mass reaction is what brought the Toll Road crime around Rosarito to a halt a few years back and it can happen again in Cd. Const.

Vacation in points north....Mulege, Loreto, etc.

It won't take long for the tourist industry south of Cd. Const. to see the problem and scream for change and, things will change.
Then, the American traveler can sit back proudly and say, "Hey.....we do have a voice."

If you don't want a voice, quit complaining, keep paying and accept humiliation.

Barry A. - 6-20-2010 at 10:19 AM

RIGHT ON DENNIS!!!!!!! Barry

gnukid - 6-20-2010 at 10:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know some people have no choice since their life is south, but I'm directing this suggestion to tourists. If they want to be part of an effort to bring change, don't go there. Go elsewhere.
Solidarity is next to impossible for Americans to achieve. We're so into our own agenda, but a mass reaction is what brought the Toll Road crime around Rosarito to a halt a few years back and it can happen again in Cd. Const.

Vacation in points north....Mulege, Loreto, etc.

It won't take long for the tourist industry south of Cd. Const. to see the problem and scream for change and, things will change.
Then, the American traveler can sit back proudly and say, "Hey.....we do have a voice."

If you don't want a voice, quit complaining, keep paying and accept humiliation.

Dennis, many who tranist Baja go south of Cd. Const. so the simple solidarity solution of do not go south won't work.

To speak to the point, though, do not look to anyone but yourselves to solve this issue. Certainly do not look to a politician, each and everyone who is unfairly targeted can do something, first off, you must not make matters worse for yourself, so, do your best to avoid trouble, drive the speed, stop at all broken lights and stop signs, use the other streets if you choose, be prepared to be pulled over with proper documentation, wear seatbelts, and pay attention.

Take pictures of police cars, especially those who target, but do not do it in a way that is obtrusive, take video if you get pulled over but not in a manner that is threatening or obvious just leave the camera on the seat.

Ask politely for the officer to identify himself and take careful note of any identifying characteristics write it down in private, after-wards take notes, then simply post your report here, youtube, and post it to other officials and boards with a complete identifying report. Once identified and especially once identified on video and photo if his/her behavior is unfair then the problem can be discussed, until then it will continue.

It's the same anywhere, you need evidence of the situation and you must clearly identify the criminal behavior and the perpetrator.

One complete video will help massively. Try using your cameras and phones, practice, and see what the limits of the wide angle shot is.

The aforementioned advice holds true, be persistent, polite and patient, the bad guys always fold and the good guys always proceed with confidence.

DENNIS - 6-20-2010 at 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Quote:

I know some people have no choice since their life is south, but I'm directing this suggestion to tourists.

Dennis, many who tranist Baja go south of Cd. Const. so the simple solidarity solution of do not go south won't work.

OK....I thought I covered that, but you're right.

Alan - 6-20-2010 at 11:13 AM

I completely agree with you Dennis. I was just hoping you found an alternate route from Loreto to La Paz

fishabductor - 6-20-2010 at 11:14 AM

I've been pulled over 2x in CDC.. Both times for BS things. My mexican wife started asking a bunch of questions..badge #, name, etc. We said lets go to the station both times...they said adios both times.

I hate CDC anymore. I got to the point where I no longer want to drive Baja. I live in the loscabos area and we just now fly. There is nothing I can't buy locally that I absolutely need.

DENNIS - 6-20-2010 at 11:57 AM

Quote:
I completely agree with you Dennis. I was just hoping you found an alternate route from Loreto to La Paz

I thought someone Google Earthed a bypass road around there, or somewhere. I can't remember. It was a while back.
Maybe it was around some military check point.
I'm confused so I'm off to Sharky's.

DENNIS - 6-20-2010 at 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishabductor
There is nothing I can't buy locally that I absolutely need.

Every now and then, I have a need to go to a real Home Depot. It's like a drug addiction. :lol:

On shakedowns and bluffing

Lee - 6-20-2010 at 03:25 PM

There's some psychology going on here that needs to be addressed.

A shakedown is a numbers game for these cops and it probably beats sitting around bored and poor.

It's also an intimidation game being played. Here's what I plan to do when passing through Constitución and Insurgentes next time.

If I'm pulled over, I"ll get out with a camera and a note pad. If I'm traveling with someone, they'll get out also to ''witness'' the situation.

I'll ask the cop if I can take his picture. I expect him to say no and I"ll respect his request. I believe I"ve established a psychological edge in doing this.

I'll then ask for his name and start writing in my note pad a description of the scene.

I have a throw-away license in case he wants it but I have leverage there too. Any threat to keep my license is wasted on me.

I speak enough Spanish to hold my own though I'm not fluent and will definitely hold my own in turning down any request for paying a ''fine'' on the spot -- and I'm willing to go to the station to discuss things.

I'm not really wanting to go to the station but want to be on my way. My negotiating position will always be polite but insistent (that I have done nothing wrong), and I will show respect and courtesy to any cop in a traffic situation -- even if he gets frustrated (because I'm not cooperating and giving him money).

I don't believe the cop wants to go to the station and I believe that I can call the bluff.

I know of at least 2 gringas in BCS who believe the hysterical approach works -- they will try to intimidate and insult cops in a shakedown situation and they might be on to something here. Personally, I am not interested in a mano-a-mano match with someone wearing a badge and gun.

A badge and gun don't intimidate me and I know that that is what the cop is trying to do. My goal is to show that cop I'm not intimidated and not going to pay him anything. It's possible for me to do this in a non-threatening manner.

Cops will give up in a short period of time. You just have to be patient -- no need for the cop to lose face. They'll figure it out in no time, and move on to the next ''victim.''

Smile, have a good time. Don't take things so seriously or personally.

If you are intimidated by cops and red/blue lights flashing and the situation scares you, the cop will see it and it'll be difficult to ''bluff'' him.

Just remember -- it's all a bluff.

Any other realistic scenarios can only help.

DENNIS - 6-20-2010 at 03:32 PM

Lee knows.

[good to see you, bro]

Why would 'we' automatically assume...

Dave - 6-20-2010 at 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

Just remember -- it's all a bluff.

That?

A sworn, armed officer fabricating an infraction in attempt to extort? What's to prevent him from escalating beyond threat to armed robbery...his conscience? :rolleyes:

Hang tough. Be firm. Be polite, respectful, and courteous. Don't pay for a shakedown!

Lee - 6-20-2010 at 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
A sworn, armed officer fabricating an infraction in attempt to extort? What's to prevent him from escalating beyond threat to armed robbery...his conscience? :rolleyes:

Racism, racial profiling, targeting gringo cars is an emotional issue. Then there's the mordida issue.

Of course there is nothing to prevent a law enforcement officer, who has a badge and gun, from doing anything they want.

I just don't see these guys in that light. And that's not to say this sort of thing doesn't happen from time to time.

All I'm saying is what I ''think'' is happening. These guys are poor and see intimidation as a way of making some money.

It's certainly possible that an insulting and out of control gringo might get into trouble, possibly locked up, etc.

The game here is let's see how many gringoes can be intimidated and hand over a wad of money.

The quicker it's done the sooner the cop can get back to stopping the next gringo.

There are many who believe what the cops are doing is evil, corrupt and lots of moral judgments. I don't see it that way. I don't defend their actions. I'm on the side of the innocent here.

These cops are unsophisticated and uneducated.

I'm an ex-cop and the qualities that make a good cop, at least in part, is being able to think like the bad guys.

In MX, there's a thing called the ''little lie,'' which to Mexicans, isn't really a lie. Maybe what the Nortes would call a ''white lie.''

At most, these cops are opportunists, petty thiefs. They might think what they're doing is wrong, on some level, but then think that the gringoes have money and no harm done.

Short of losing face, they, in my very humble opinion, will back down and go to the
next person in line.

There's nothing lost by taking a firm stand and hanging in there with negotiation. It's all negotiable. In a hurry? They want 500 pesos? Offer 50 pesos.

Impatience isn't going to win this game. I think it's just a game.

There are different levels of negotiators out there. Results may vary.

(Oh and by the way. A cop pulls a gun on me wanting money? He get's my money.)

desertcpl - 6-20-2010 at 05:54 PM

I remember years ago in TJ,, I was pulled over and got the shake down,, I offered the cop Peso's he got mad and said he didnt want any Peso's wanted usa dollars,, 20 bucks and I was on my way

BajaNomad - 6-20-2010 at 08:18 PM

Quote:

What's to prevent him from escalating beyond threat to armed robbery...his conscience?
More than anything - by my experience and observation - is your attitude with him.

Lee's comments on being FIRM, but POLITE (essentially - and also patient), are a common observation of what's worked well for many of those posting here over the years - including myself.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

My goal is to show that cop I'm not intimidated and not going to pay him anything. It's possible for me to do this in a non-threatening manner.

Cops will give up in a short period of time. You just have to be patient -- no need for the cop to lose face. They'll figure it out in no time, and move on to the next ''victim.''

Smile, have a good time. Don't take things so seriously or personally.

:)

-
Doug

I see

Dave - 6-20-2010 at 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:

What's to prevent him from escalating beyond threat to armed robbery...his conscience?
More than anything - by my experience and observation - is your attitude with him.

So, as long as the victim is supplicant, he escapes with most of his money. :rolleyes:

Victimization...A stellar endorsement of Mexican rule of law.

Just to be clear:

Paying money for trumped up charges is felony extortion...not mordida.

oladulce - 6-21-2010 at 02:02 AM

I presented the story as another chapter of my experiences as a new resident of Mexico. I thought it was funny that we could frequent the town without a problem then get pulled over twice within 10 min, plus I figured others would be interested to know that the situation is ongoing in Cd C.

Not meant as a complaint because I didn't expect you guys to fix it. I'd only voice a complaint if I planned to take action to resolve the problem.

We have chosen to live here and Constitución happens to be our nearest big town and where we have to go for the bank, groceries and supplies. It is what it is. The cops in our small town are members of the same dept as Constitución. We go to the same municipio to pay our taxes, obtain building permits etc.

This time it was beneficial that the first cop who pulled us over recognized us. Being recognized could just as easily be detrimental in future encounters if we were to start a local anti-mordida crusade- this area becomes very "small townish" and sometimes people you don't even know can know all about you. Better to keep a nice, mellow, low profile and be good gringos since we are foreigners.

Right now, getting pulled over for no reason is irritating and a pain in the butt . But If things ever escalate to where the cops begin to accept the challenge to go down to the station and start falsifying written violations where it's your word against theirs, that will be a different ballgame.

k-rico - 6-21-2010 at 06:30 AM

Is there a similar organization for Cd. Constitucion as this?

http://www.sindicatura.gob.mx/complaints/index.asp

Want to document a stop?

BMG - 6-21-2010 at 01:32 PM

Here you go. Spy pen.

DENNIS - 6-21-2010 at 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BMG
Here you go. Spy pen.

Along that line, here's a bunch of 007 stuff:

http://www.spyemporium.com/

wilderone - 6-24-2010 at 08:52 AM

"shakedown is a numbers game for these cops and it probably beats sitting around bored and poor"

That doesn't justify extortion on a daily basis. This is systemic organized crime. These cops must be very rich by now. Probably gives the jefe a percentage. The Baja Governor should be involved. Someone should distribute flyers reporting the situation and warning, in the middle of the night, on all cars in all towns in a small radius of Cd. Const. just to let them know we know. Paste up the flyers on store windows in town. "WARNING the cops in this town will attempt to shake down all gringo tourists on false driving/traffic charges. They will want a payoff. These cops do this on a daily basis. Everyone is involved. ......."

Baja&Back - 6-24-2010 at 09:31 AM

If you get ripped off by the cops in CC (or even an attempt), email your story to Patricia at Misiones RV park - npso@hotmail.com, with details.

She is peeed off & willing to go to the mayor's office to stop this.

bajaguy - 6-24-2010 at 09:42 AM

Sounds like a job for Zorro!!!!

Estaben.jpg - 11kB

DENNIS - 6-24-2010 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
Paste up the flyers on store windows in town. "WARNING the cops in this town will attempt to shake down all gringo tourists on false driving/traffic charges. They will want a payoff. These cops do this on a daily basis. Everyone is involved. ......."

Don't get caught doing that. If you are caught, you'll have to defend yourself and your accusations. That won't be easy , but it will get you deported.

wessongroup - 6-24-2010 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Sounds like a job for Zorro!!!!

Exactly....

gnukid - 6-24-2010 at 11:08 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
Paste up the flyers on store windows in town. "WARNING the cops in this town will attempt to shake down all gringo tourists on false driving/traffic charges. They will want a payoff. These cops do this on a daily basis. Everyone is involved. ......."

Don't get caught doing that. If you are caught, you'll have to defend yourself and your accusations. That won't be easy , but it will get you deported.

This is probably the best place to post your negative experience, but remember that you do need to pay attention to facts, that is why a simple video/audio recording device that everyone has on the cell phone is great for capturing the conversation. You can just hold the phone in your hand unobtrusively pointing in the direction of yourself and the other party. If in fact there is gross dereliction it should be obvious.

I would give little faith to "informing" officials simply because, as yet it has no effect, many are on the take as well, and those who are not have no influence over those who are on the take. Probably, officials in Baja are significantly disparate and have little inter office communication nor responsibility much like everywhere else.

In fact, you are the most powerful person to address your own concerns. As soon as a corrupto sees that you are aware, patient, and unwilling to be fearful and cough up money for nothing they will always lose interest. They do want to be seen as the cop who is talking to someone on the main drag for more than a few minutes, nor do they want to be seen in an escalating situation where they have no case.

It's like fishing, if nothing's biting you move on.

And as soon as Constitucion catches on that Gringos are not such easy pathetic money trees, who instead are armed with sophisticated tools and networks to catch liars and cheats they will move on to easier targets. Identify the people behind the problem.

Keep in mind, these guys and gals live in a small town, they really only want money for beer, food, gas and el fin de la semana, if you give the money for nothing they will continue if you require them to do their job instead they will. It's not so different from anywhere, perhaps.

[Edited on 6-24-2010 by gnukid]

ursidae69 - 6-24-2010 at 02:29 PM

Just to add to the data, on my 3 week trip in February, I was pulled over in Constitución. More like waved over out of traffic by a man with a whistle. He asked for my license and then asked where I was going. I had the vibe that something was coming and I just smiled and he finally just handed my license back. He must have changed his mind.

That's the first time I've ever been pulled over in Mexico.

Shakedown

Peloncito - 6-25-2010 at 01:13 PM

Okay, I will add myself to the victim list. On June 21st, we were pulling into CC, heading south to our home in LB. I have been reading the posts recently and decided to play it extra cautious. I started down the center lane, literally going 10 mph. I stopped at every light, crosswalk and stop sign. I noticed one police officer had someone pulled over on the frontage road. I proceeded south very slowly. About three lights from the end of town, I noticed a police truck turning left in front of me while I was sitting at a red light. He turned left, made a U-Turn and shadowed me on the frontage road the entire rest of the way. Continuing @ 10mph, he finally pulled behind me at the last light and lit me up. When I was chatting with him, he said I failed to stop for pedestrians seven blocks back. Impossible since he only pulled in front of me near the end of town. He told me he was going to keep my license and I could come get it at 8:00 the next morning at the police station or........ $500 pesos right now. I pondered letting him keep my license and just getting a new one when I returned to the states, but figured that might not be that bright. After negotiating for several minutes, we agreed on $400 pesos and we were on our way. He even extended his hand out to shake my hand. He was polite even after I told him that everybody knows what is going on here and that he is only hurting his own community by harassing tourists. I asked him who would ever want to come stay in this town with all of the police extortion and he simply laughed and said not my problem.

I will be driving back north in a few weeks to continue the saga. It is a shame, because I normally stay there for lunch and a few beers. Not anymore!!!!

Mike

Iflyfish - 6-27-2010 at 10:49 AM

I have enjoyed staying in Constitution at the lovely RV Park and had again planned to do so. Not now, not till this is resolved. I do not want to be shaken down by these crooks. 400 pesos is an outragious fee to pay to these guys! Outragious.

Is there any way around these sharks? This is THE Federal Road thru this town! Basta Yo!!

Iflyfish

DENNIS - 6-27-2010 at 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
Basta Yo!!

There will be no "Basta" until it's forced upon them. These arn't isolated acts of extortion that can be reported to the Chief, Comandante or anybody else in that city. They get their share. They get it because they're part of the system and that's a system we, with our NOB mindset, will never comprehend.
The system is as old as Spain and will resist, probably forever, the moralistic change we only wish they would adopt.
What we're trying to do is convert them into Americans like us. Many here can't see the futility in that.
Conversion for moral reasons will not work.
Conversion for financial reasons will have an immediate effect.
Attack their economy and the metamorphisis will be swift.

bajaguy - 6-27-2010 at 12:26 PM

Quote:
I have enjoyed staying in Constitution at the lovely RV Park and had again planned to do so. Not now, not till this is resolved. I do not want to be shaken down by these crooks. 400 pesos is an outragious fee to pay to these guys! Outragious.

Is there any way around these sharks? This is THE Federal Road thru this town! Basta Yo!!

Iflyfish

Fish.....write or e-mail the RV park and explain why you will not be visiting........let us know if they reply!!!!

DENNIS - 6-27-2010 at 12:39 PM

Quote:

Fish.....write or e-mail the RV park and explain why you will not be visiting........let us know if they reply!!!!

In fact, give us their email addy and I for one will write and tell them of my change of plans to drive through their beautiful city to get to their motel.
I urge others to do the same. It's a start.

This method could be expanded to resorts south of C.C.. It's a painless effort that will definitly get a ball rolling if it's sustained.
Make justice your online hobby.

Any contact info out there to be added to the list of economic victims?

----------

Here's a post from this thread which I put up a few pages back, for those who may have missed it:

posted on 6-20-2010 at 06:57 AM

Maybe it's time to get the San Diego Union involved. This city has gone berserk with mordida to the point that it's a story.
Hurt their business and the business of all points south. Your personal complaints will fall on deaf ears regardless who is printing forms to report rampant mordida. As long as the money travels through that crap hole, the police will demand you share it with them.
The only thing that will stop this atrocity is pressure from the business communities to the south. Let them demand change. They'll get it.

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 6-27-2010 at 02:16 PM

Hola, there was a post on the western onion about an art festival in la paz in november. i emailed the person promoting it and told her that our annual caravan of older travelers in southern baja changed our minds about attending it due to the C.C. situation and were fearful of being harrassed going and coming back through C.C. so this year, we'll do more of the U.S. as we should also put monies into our own economy.

we feel so sad for the people that aren't involved with this self seving type of conduct that will only hurt the honest and hardworking people.

YES...GO TO OTHER WEBSITES ! give them feedback as to why people are being discouraged from going further than loreto.

don't be laxidaisical as we need to have this harrassment stopped !

BIEN SALUD MRS. RAT

BajaBlanca - 6-27-2010 at 02:46 PM

well, I think we should all tell any gvt official we meet. The governor, presidente municipal and others come to La Bocana every so often, I will make a point of letting them know. I find that most Mexicans are royally P O'd when they hear these stories ..... they dont like it any more than we do.

DENNIS - 6-27-2010 at 02:49 PM

Right-On, Mrs. Rat. That's what I'm talkin' about. How about giving us that email address so we can join your effort.
What a great start.

C'mon folks...just a few minutes of your computer time might have a positive effect. It's worth a try.

bajaguy - 6-27-2010 at 02:57 PM

Maybe we can get Baja Cactus to give us some e-mail addresses?????

DENNIS - 6-27-2010 at 03:14 PM

Quote:
Maybe we can get Baja Cactus to give us some e-mail addresses?????

That would be good. I wish someone who knows Antonio personally would talk with him.
We can find a lot of them. Make fishing and hotel reservations to be cancelled soon after for reasons of CC.. All of this has to be south of Constitución of course, unless you live south of there. Then use north side destinations.
Be creative. It won't hurt anybody but the enemy.

[Edited on 6-27-2010 by DENNIS]

DENNIS - 6-27-2010 at 03:19 PM

Here we go. Lots of contact info here:

http://www.gringogazette.com/advertisers_index.php

Oh...I'd hope not

Dave - 6-27-2010 at 03:32 PM

Quote:
Make fishing and hotel reservations to be cancelled soon after for reasons of CC..

It's one thing to explain not making a reservation but making one with intent to cancel?

That's unethical.

DENNIS - 6-27-2010 at 03:52 PM

Quote:

That's unethical.

Unethical problems require unethical solutions.
Besides...who does it hurt?

Dave - 6-27-2010 at 06:03 PM

Quote:

Any business that provisions inventory and schedules labor based on reservations. Also, legitimate customers competing for limited service.

DENNIS - 6-27-2010 at 08:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Any business that provisions inventory and schedules labor based on reservations. Also, legitimate customers competing for limited service.

That's a stretch when you're projecting impact on the industry.
The method I suggest wouldn't allow enough time for businesses to commit inventory, labor or accomodations to the point of incurring any kind of loss. Twenty four hours for the process would be sufficient to illustrate to business owners that they are being negatively affected by the conduct of the city police in Constitución.
In that twenty four hour span, especially given where we are, I doubt too much thought, let alone expense, would be invested in preparation.

I also doubt we need discuss "limited service" these days. "Limited customers" continues to be the regional problem and that makes this plan that much more affective.

Personally, I can live out what's left of my life without ever going through that snake-pit again, but those here who plan on doing that should consider being a bit more proactive in controlling the safety of their environment.
I honestly don't care...and when I have to sit here and defend my motives and procedures, I care even less.
You folks are on your own.

Iflyfish - 6-27-2010 at 08:11 PM

This to Mag Bay Tours:

"I have stayed at Manfred's RV Park in Ciudad Constitution in the past and hoped to stay there again this year and perhaps hire you to put me into some Kayak fishing. Now I hear, Baja Nomads, that the cops in Ciudad Constitution are shaking down people from the US. Unfortunately I am not going further than Guerro Negro if this is not stopped.
Thank you."

I have tried to find and Email to Patricia, who is a wonderful owner of Manfred's and could not find an email for her. This is one of the finest RV Parks I have stayed at in the Baja. I had hoped to do some Kayak fishing with Mag Bay Tours, they look awesome.

If anyone can come up with an email address for Patricia at Manfred's I would appreciate that.

Iflyfish

Iflyfish - 6-27-2010 at 08:15 PM

Thanks Dennis for posting the links and for weighing in on this. I am steamed!! I will think more about who I might contact, who would benifit from our going south of Ciudad Constitution. I had planned to travel to La Paz, eat at Tres Virgines, Stay at the camp ground in town, visit Todos Santos again....will think of who I also might email and encourage other Nomads to do the same. We do have strength in numbers and Dennis, I hope you will not give up because of a post that was offensive to you. I appreciate your thinking on this.

Iflyfish

Iflyfish - 6-27-2010 at 08:17 PM

Here is a list of businesses in Ciudad Constitution:

http://www.bajaquest.com/baja17.htm

Iflyfish

Contacts

bajaguy - 6-27-2010 at 08:21 PM

SECTUR - Secretaría de Turismo de México
Making tourism a national priority is one of the fundamental axes of the new tourist policy laid down in the National Tourism Program 2001 – 2006. One of the main purposes of the program is to consolidate the production and dissemination of information to strengthen the sector.

The information is more than important to our tourist work, it is indispensable, and we can use it to provide a solid basis for the decision-making process. We place at your disposal information that we have compiled from a number of recently conducted surveys and research exercises. Additional information will soon be available on our Secretaría de Turismo web site.

I N F O T U R ….. It is a privilege to help you …..
The Ministry of Tourism, through INFOTUR, part of the Tourist Services Division, provides free information to Mexican and foreign tourists, including co-nationals, about tourist destinations, attractions and services.

You may contact us by telephone, mail and e-mail, or visit our tourist information office, where we will also be happy to assist you in finding lodging.

http://www.sectur.gob.mx/wb2/secturing/sect_1052_tourism_inf...

You may write to us at:
MINISTRY OF TOURISM - INFOTUR
Av. Presidente Masaryk 172, ground floor, Chapultepec Morales, Miguel Hidalgo,
Mexico City, México D. F.
Telephone: 30 02 63 00 Ext. 1151.

Or contact us by e-mail at: correspondencia@sectur.gob.mx
Profeco - (Procuraduría Federal del Consumidor)

How to file a complaint with Profeco

Attention to Foreigners

Profeco is committed to always provide the best service. We extend our protection to the people who do not live in Mexico and acquire any product or service from a Mexican supplier and are not satisfied with the good or service.

More details about how to file a complaint with Profeco.

For further information you can contact us at the following numbers:
(52) 55-68-87-22 (phone); (+52) 55 5211-2052 (fax), or E-mail: extranjeros@profeco.gob.mx
Fonatur - Fondo Nacional de Fomento al Turismo

MISSION - “To take part in the consolidation of the country’s sustainable development through the promotion of the nation’s tourism industry”.

VISION - “As a federal government agency, to serve as a leading institution in promoting the development of diversified tourism projects that are in keeping with global trends, by relying on a business structure that encourages private investment in projects that spur regional development, thus securing economic and social gains for those regions, by facilitating funding and credit, and by adopting an active and hands-on approach in areas where assured recovery will help lead to self-sufficiency and generate resources, as well as strengthen the institution’s role as a financial instrument within the tourism sector”.
Fondo Nacional de Fomento al Turismo
Tecoyotitla No. 100, Col. Florida C.P. 01030 México D.F.
Tel.: 50 - 90 - 42 - 00

COMPTROLLER’S OFFICE: COMPLAINTS AND REPORTS
http://www.fonatur.gob.mx/_ingles/indexmis.html
This page opens to their "About Us" page. Click on "Contact Us" on the left side of the page - At the bottom of the page there is a link to the Comptroller's Office: Complaints and Reports. This form is in Spanish.

www.fonatur.gob.mx
Ministry of Tourism
Tourism Help Department - La Paz

La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico

Fax: (612) 124 - 0768 (From Mexico)
Fax: 01 (612) 124 - 0722 (From USA)

Phone: 01 (612) 124 - 0100 to 03

E-mail: turismo@gbcs.gob.mx

La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Km 51/2 Carretera al Norte Edificio Fidepa2
Apartado Postal # 419 CP. 23090
Secretaría de Turismo de Baja California Sur
Departamento de Auxilio Turistico

Sr. Adolfo Gonzalez Garcia
Jefe del departamento de Auxilio Turistico

Phone: 01 (612) 124 - 0100 to 03
Fax: 01 (612) 124 - 0722

E-mail: turismo@gbcs.gob.mx

La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Km 51/2 Carretera al Norte Edificio Fidepa2
Apartado Postal # 419 CP. 23090
Los Cabos Tourism Office - Secretaría Municipal de Turismo
Director: Lic. Jose Manuel Gonzalez Arreola

If you have comments, complaints, suggestions or need help from our city government,
please let us know.

Location: Blvd. Mauricio Castro s/n, Plaza San José, Locales 3 y 4
San José del Cabo. Baja California Sur, C.P. 23400 México.

Tel(s): (624) 146-9628 | E-mail: turismoloscabos@prodigy.net.mx

http://www.loscabos.gob.mx
Los Cabos Convention & Visitors Bureau

Oficina de Convenciones y Visitantes de Los Cabos
Sr. Ruben Sanchez, General Director
Lazaro Card##as Edificio Posada, s/n, Colonia el Medano
Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur, CP 23410 Mexico

Telephone: (624) 143-4777 (from USA and Canada dial 011-52 first)
USA Toll Free: 1-866 LOS CABOS - (866) 567-2226
info@loscaboscvb.com

This phone number is answered by a recorded message asking that callers leave their address for mailing of information on Los Cabos or leave a message if they have a more detailed issue.

To receive a free copy of the Visit Los Cabos Guide call: 1-866 Los Cabos - 866-567-2226
(note: this is not Los Cabos Magazine or Los Cabos Visitor's Guide)
This phone number is answered by a recorded message asking that callers leave their address for mailing of information on Los Cabos or leave a message if they have a more detailed issue

Huh?

Lee - 6-27-2010 at 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Peloncito
He told me he was going to keep my license and I could come get it at 8:00 the next morning at the police station or........ $500 pesos right now. I pondered letting him keep my license and just getting a new one when I returned to the states, but figured that might not be that bright.

After negotiating for several minutes, we agreed on $400 pesos and we were on our way.
Mike

Do you know what a ''throw away license'' is?

$400 pesos instead of $500 pesos? With this kind of negotiations, the cops will continue to stop gringoes.

Good luck.

Baja&Back - 6-27-2010 at 08:32 PM

Quote:
I have tried to find and Email to Patricia, who is a wonderful owner of Manfred's and could not find an email for her. This is one of the finest RV Parks I have stayed at in the Baja. I had hoped to do some Kayak fishing with Mag Bay Tours, they look awesome.

If anyone can come up with an email address for Patricia at Manfred's I would appreciate that.

Iflyfish

I posted Patricia's email at the top of this page. It is npso@hotmail.com

Manfred's is now called "Misiones RV park".

BajaBlanca - 6-27-2010 at 08:38 PM

BajaGuy - that is a fantastic list you put together, thanks a lot. I am going to write to some of them about a number of issues ... recently some friends were given a hard time by the tour quide for the Cueva del Raton. they think they were overcharged and they were not handled with a smile since they were only a couple and not a group. Very unprofessional. :fire:

They are the same couple who got their tires slashed in Ensenada's Home Depot and while "being helped" got all their docs, passports, money, cameras stolen. :fire:

Les and I drove thru Constitution 3 weeks ago when returning from Copper Canyon and saw NO SIGN of cops. but a friend in La Paz got a ticket when she didnt come to a complete stop and her fine, I think, was $300. They didnt care that she idled thru ever so slowly !! But she was Ok with it - she was guilty as charged :)

Frank - 6-27-2010 at 08:57 PM

Just sent off a letter to all of these.

correspondencia@sectur.gob.mx, extranjeros@profeco.gob.mx, www.fonatur.gob.mx, turismo@gbcs.gob.mx,turismoloscabos@prodigy.net.mx

Peloncito - 6-27-2010 at 08:58 PM

Lee,

I know exactly what a throw away license is, but could it be possible that I simply didn't care (at brief moment in time) if the officer kept my real CDL allowing me to be on my way?

My two 5 year olds in the back seat started crying when they saw the two officers approaching my window, one holding an assault rifle. I am sure that can be just a tad intimidating to a child. So I think my $500 to $400 peso deal was good enough to get me and my family out of there under MY circumstances. I am sorry that I could not help the cause in the manner you obviously would have liked, but then again, my family is a much higher priority to me than worrying about $40+/-.

Just thought I would share a recent similar shakedown event so that everyone knows, nothing has changed in CC.

Sorry to insult you with my lack of beach side jewelry bargaining skills.

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 6-27-2010 at 09:15 PM

Hola, thank you bajaguy for taking the time to inform us in trying to resove the C.C. problem. i hope electronic messages do work ?

i will take my time and direct complaints/inquiries very soon.

thsnk you agin,

BIEN SALUD, MRS. RAT.

Iflyfish - 6-27-2010 at 09:54 PM

The following is a response to one of my emails:

"Unfortunately it's true that moto cop number 045 has hit a couple of my friends and me too. Cost me $300 pesos on the spot. This guy tried to get one of my friends for $80 dollars but they gave him 500 pesos and said "that's it" ..then drove away . moto cop 045 did not follow them.

Lets keep focused here folks. Time to use the internet and contact people who might have some influence with this. Are you prepared to be shaken down each time YOU go through Ciudad Constitution? There is strenght in numbers.

Iflyfish

bajaguy - 6-27-2010 at 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Hola, thank you bajaguy for taking the time to inform us in trying to resove the C.C. problem. i hope electronic messages do work ?

i will take my time and direct complaints/inquiries very soon.

thsnk you agin,

BIEN SALUD, MRS. RAT.

Please let us know if there is a response and what they say

Iflyfish - 6-27-2010 at 10:06 PM

My letter to SECTUR

"There have been a number of reports on Baja Nomads website about how police in Ciudad Constitution are stopping US Citizens and requiring a bribe from them by threatening them with a ticket if they do not pay them the "fine" on the spot. The following is an example of this:

"Unfortunately it's true that moto cop number 045 has hit a couple of my friends and me too. Cost me $300 pesos on the spot. This guy tried to get one of my friends for $80 dollars but they gave him 500 pesos and said "that's it" ..then drove away . moto cop 045 did not follow them."

You will find numerous reports here on this illegal activity by the police who are supposed to be protecting tourists!

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=46302&pag...

My wife and I had planned to visit Ciudad Constitution and stay at Manfred's RV Park, one of the finest in the Baja, we also planned to eat at least three meals in town and to hire a guide to take us to Maglena Bay to watch whales. We then planned to travel further south to La Paz, Cabo and Todos Santos.

Now we will not be traveling past Guerro Negro unless this problem is resolved. I know of one caravan of motor homes that will also not be going thru Ciudad Constitution because of this problem.

Please attend to this very serious matter for the sake of your country and it's important tourism industry."

Iflyfish - 6-27-2010 at 10:22 PM

Baja and Back

Same letter sent to Patricia, Profeco, Turismo, Los Cabos Tourism and Visitors and Convention and Visitors Bureau.

Thank you Bajaguy for posting these important contacts.

I hope all Nomads who plan to travel to and thru Ciudad Constitution will follow suit and inform these people of the impact this mordida, occuring on the MAIN HIGHWAY thru Southern Baja State, has on you and your plans to visit Mexico.

Iflyfish

k-rico - 6-27-2010 at 10:50 PM

Thanks bajaguy, I copied and saved the info you posted to a file on my desktop. I hope I don't have to use it but I will if needed.

chnlisle - 6-28-2010 at 12:16 AM

Quote:
Lets keep focused here folks. Time to use the internet and contact people who might have some influence with this. Are you prepared to be shaken down each time YOU go through Ciudad Constitution? There is strenght in numbers.

There is even more strength in the numbers that just stay away until somebody asks, "¿donde estan los turistas?"

karenintx - 6-28-2010 at 07:13 AM

The Gringo Gazette is always looking for a good story of gringos being ripped off!

monoloco - 6-28-2010 at 07:31 AM

I think that the best thing we can do is make ourselves a pain in the ass, demand to go to the station, file complaints about being extorted, and take up as much of their time as possible. If we cease to be easy marks then the problem will go away.

[Edited on 6-28-2010 by monoloco]

Pages:  1    3  4