BajaNomad

Loreto Report, June 21 - More Dorado

bill erhardt - 6-21-2010 at 03:18 PM

Yesterday, I spent a long day trolling for one dorado a couple of pounds bigger than the 37 pounder last Thursday, but the one dorado was the only thing that kept a skunk out of the boat. This morning I told John Haberman from Mulege that dorado were still pretty few and far between out of Loreto. Then, the fishermen out today returned to the marina and it seems that my report to John may already be out of date. Most people who fished for dorado today found fish, and some nice ones in the mix.
The water is still unseasonably cold and murky near shore, but offshore as close as 15 - 20 miles is clear water warming to the low 80s in the heat of the day. In the colder, murky water inshore there are many seaweed paddies, but few, if any, are holding fish. In the clean offshore water, however, the fishing is much like it usually is in early May. If you find floating structure it is probably loaded with dorado of all sizes, and for those willing to drag marlin feathers there are more and more nice dorado to be had, along with occasional billfish. It may be that as the water near shore warms up, and clears up, the fish that are offshore will move in under the paddies and there will yet be the kind of dorado fishing Loreto is known for, just a bit later this year than normal.
In the meantime, there are more and more quality fish outside for those willing to go out and look for them. And this just in time for the Tripui Dorado Tournament this weekend.
Here is a photo of a legitimate, on the digital scale, 51 pounder that Barry Wilkerson brought in today. It is notable that Barry caught this fish fishing solo on his Parker which has no transom door to break up the pretty lines, so he pulled this monster up over the rail.

[Edited on 6-21-2010 by bill erhardt]

51# dorado.JPG - 45kB

Cypress - 6-21-2010 at 04:04 PM

bill erhardt, Thanks for the report. That's a wopper! Caught solo! He's a fisherman for sure.:yes:

flyfishinPam - 6-21-2010 at 05:52 PM

Ok keep em coming and bring in those sardinas too

Bob and Susan - 6-21-2010 at 06:02 PM

next time if the guy holds out the dorado it would look BIGGER:o:o

wow

Hook - 6-21-2010 at 06:20 PM

This is good news for those of us farther north. Coupled with the recent reports of limits on larger than football YFT from the East Cape, MAYBE ALL WE NEEDED WAS FOR THE CALENDAR TO SAY "SUMMER"!!!!!!

Mxsmoothsailor - 6-21-2010 at 06:21 PM

I think the photo is fake

backninedan - 6-21-2010 at 06:51 PM

The photo is real, the fish is fake.

backninedan - 6-21-2010 at 07:05 PM

I changed my mind, the photo and fish are real, the fisherman I'm not sure of.

Hook - 6-21-2010 at 07:25 PM

Nice touch, with the "fake" blood on his pant leg. :rolleyes:

What do sailors know about fishing, anyway?

Alan - 6-21-2010 at 08:11 PM

I don't think that is fake blood. I think it is what happens when one has to lift a fish that size over the rail by themself.

mtgoat666 - 6-21-2010 at 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by backninedan

why did he not clean and save the fish? looks like he is standing in boat on trailer, and therefore fish has been out of water for several hours. doubt he had an ice box large enough to hold uncleaned fish. fake fish? or just warm spoiled fish?

[Edited on 6-22-2010 by mtgoat666]

Alan - 6-21-2010 at 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by backninedan

why did he not clean and save the fish? looks like he is standing in boat on trailer, and therefore fish has been out of water for several hours. doubt he had an ice box large enough to hold uncleaned fish. fake fish? or just warm spoiled fish?

[Edited on 6-22-2010 by mtgoat666]
I'm sure that boat has a perfectly adequate fishhold that would accomodate that fish. Nice catch!