BajaNomad

Cielito Lindo - the pretty little heaven

Curt63 - 6-24-2010 at 06:43 PM

We stopped at Cielito Lindo on a Saturday night almost 3 weeks ago as the last night of our trip driving all the way to Cabos San Lucas and back. The room was very decent and only 200 pesos for 3 beds.

But that bar is just too damn hilarious. Every time I go there, its full of of old timers and one hell of a good time. I was warned not to exceed 2 margaritas but wasnt smart enough to follow it. And those damn crab craws are a full days work.

Anybody else got any stores or pics about the pretty little heaven?

Cheers, Curt

David K - 6-24-2010 at 06:51 PM

Oh boy... do I, but I just can't remember... there was Bedman who insisted I have one of 'his' styles of Margaritas... then there were the Cielito Linda special ones... and I just can't tell you more! This was back in 2001, when Dave and Juanita still ran the place.

As for the cracked crab dinners... sorry, nothing good to say... too much paprika, too much finger blood shed on the shell bits! I had them at least 3 times and the final time was when I took Baja Angel in there to try them.

We had lots of fun over the years at Cielito Lindo and the former Gypsy's Wet Buzzard Cantina that Laura ran... good times just don't last forever.

See the links to BBBB-1 (June/July 2001) and BBBB-4 (Sept. 2002) which both were at Cielito Lindo... in VivaBaja.com

http://www.vivabaja.com/van1/index.html (BBBB-1)

http://www.vivabaja.com/bbbb4/

[Edited on 6-25-2010 by David K]

Thanks Curt

Porky Pig - 6-25-2010 at 03:07 AM

A lot of long overdue work is being done to Cielito, Residents pitched in and repainted etc the bar area. Juanita came out of retirement and is loving the challenge. She is overseeing the operation for the owner, Esteban, who lives in Tijuana. The rooms are being repaired and painted. Some of you will be saddened to know you can no longer sleep on the same sheets John Wayne slept on :biggrin:

Santiago - 6-25-2010 at 05:20 AM

Wow - this is good news. "John Wayne sheets?" that's funny right there. I'm looking thru my photos of BBBB#1 held at Cielito Lindo and oops!, better not post that one....heh

wessongroup - 6-25-2010 at 05:28 AM

Good or Bad.. the pictures show what appears to be some happy campers.. I like that.. a lot.. thanks.. just what I like with my coffee in the morning.. along with sunrises and just about anything else you folks are kind enough to share... thanks

Bob and Susan - 6-25-2010 at 05:29 AM

when did you take these pictures...

why those HEAVY jackets?

isn't it summer there...

DENNIS - 6-25-2010 at 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
why those HEAVY jackets?

Padding, for the fall off the stool. I wonder what they did with the OSHA Approved helmets?? :lol:

Pacifico - 6-25-2010 at 06:41 AM

Hey!!! I recognize those guys......

Curt, did you do a whole trip report?

David K - 6-25-2010 at 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Porky Pig
A lot of long overdue work is being done to Cielito, Residents pitched in and repainted etc the bar area. Juanita came out of retirement and is loving the challenge. She is overseeing the operation for the owner, Esteban, who lives in Tijuana. The rooms are being repaired and painted. Some of you will be saddened to know you can no longer sleep on the same sheets John Wayne slept on :biggrin:

Great News David!

capt. mike - 6-25-2010 at 07:37 AM

how did you get that GIANT picture to upload???

after recent reports on BBP i HOPE she gets the pista and taxiway fixed.
Dave used to grade it often - now?

Fun Times 1997

David K - 6-25-2010 at 07:38 AM

When just about anybody and anything could be seen at Cielito Lindo having a beer!

Graham Mackintosh and Mision, the burro during their 1000 mile walk from Tecate to Loreto ('Journey with a Baja Burro') http://www.grahammackintosh.com

KASHEYDOG - 6-25-2010 at 07:53 AM

Can't seem to figure out how to upload pics from Cielito Lindo. Can any body help?? :?: :?:

DENNIS - 6-25-2010 at 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KASHEYDOG
Can't seem to figure out how to upload pics from Cielito Lindo. Can any body help?? :?: :?:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=24603

KASHEYDOG - 6-25-2010 at 08:03 AM

Thanks Dennis, I'll give it a try ;D

Martyman - 6-25-2010 at 09:49 AM

$200 pesos for a room? Nice! I love that place. Glad to hear it's being gussied up a little.

KASHEYDOG - 6-25-2010 at 10:42 AM

CIELITO LINDO SEPT 3, 2009. My birthday. What a great weekend :bounce::P

[Edited on 7-24-10 by KASHEYDOG]

Cielito Lindo 2009.JPG - 47kB

KASHEYDOG - 6-25-2010 at 10:44 AM

Who said the crab claws are messy ?? :?::lol:

CRAB LEGS IN SAN QUINTINE.JPG - 49kB

Lindalou - 6-25-2010 at 11:32 AM

I love cielito Lindo! We stayed in the motorhome in their campground several times. When we just spent one night (most of it in the bar) we just parked outside off the driveway, One of the first places we stayed at when we came to Baja. Thanks for the pics

jodiego - 6-25-2010 at 02:02 PM

Great place. Had one of the waiters come by the room every hour while we played cards bringing us beers and appetizers till all hours of the night.

tiotomasbcs - 6-25-2010 at 03:27 PM

Great news about the Remodeling!! Any old posts about the History of the place. I remember reading an article on the wall there about Ward Bond. Who else frequented the place from the fifties & sixties?? Maureen Ohara? Now if Sophia Loren slept in those sheets.....:O:O:O

DENNIS - 6-25-2010 at 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
Any old posts about the History of the place.

You may want to dig around in GN's book. If you click on the cover of the book, upper left, you get it from the beginning.

http://tinyurl.com/29yzhys

tiotomasbcs - 6-25-2010 at 07:11 PM

Wow! I have never heard of or seen this book--Bja Legends. What a great history of the early days! I have always wished I was older to have explored and traveled California, Alta and Baja California. Greg Nieman? He must have had fun reseraching this information. Is he from San Diego? Muchisimas Gracias, Dennis. A great resource for firelight banter & bullchit! Smiles

eetdrt88 - 6-25-2010 at 09:17 PM

had some crazy times in that bar....always a good spot to stop and bed down for the night on a trip south:cool:

BajaNomad - 6-25-2010 at 10:17 PM

Quote:
Greg Nieman? He must have had fun reseraching this information. Is he from San Diego?
Orange County. Here's Greg's online bio:

http://www.gregniemann.com/bio.html

hope they get rid of the mold! but keep the margueritas flowing!

Bajagato - 6-25-2010 at 10:37 PM

Spent New Years Eve 2005 there on the way home from BOLA. Thought I'd die of mold poisoning in those rooms! Swore I'd never stay there again. They did fry up some halibut that we caught in San Rafael, for us and of course the margies are always excellent! I think I have drank more than 2 more than once LOL, ended up bouncing off a twin bed at Old Mill and landing on the floor! LMAO!

k-rico - 6-26-2010 at 04:42 AM

We always stop at Cielto Lindo as the first night and last night of our baja trips. Just a place to pull the camper into and go to sleep, usually after a couple of beers in the dog friendly bar. The Pemex at the highway intersection makes for a good early morning pit stop and coffee spot as we head out the next morning at sunrise.

The folks that have settled down in the trailer park adjacent to CL have found one of the least expensive places to do it in all baja. Northwest baja style life.

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 6-26-2010 at 05:27 AM

Hola, thank you for the update. i didn't keep a log and now i haven't kept a memory ! i slept in my little suv in the rv area going both ways to the east cape starting 2006. too bad my son and i flew down on the 5 day, four nite fishing trips for twenty or so years and missed so many interesting places.
oh well, with my alcohol and intake of sun, fishing and lounging, the grey matter does lapse.

the crab claws really are messy AND WHEN THEY'RE SMALL, they are even more messy, but very good but the margaritas sure were great as well as so many friendly people loosened up at the bar and in the dining room. i try and catch barred perch and they really cook it up and serve a hell of a meal.

how is that fishing now and also for the corbina and pismo clam digging behind the old la pinta ? white seabass is my primary target but unfortunately, the season is over around the end of august. got three in 2008 to about 30 pounds, hmmmm, kinda small versus their current catch ! last year at the end of october, got eleven smaller yellowtai.

last question, have they done anything with the outside bathroom in the back northerly section ? it was doable but needed attention. a bit of problem when the generator kicks off and you're all soaped up but before that, the first shot of water was always slightly muddy !!

looks like la pina ( ? ) is acquiring in that direction.

i thank you in advance,

BIEN SALUD, MR. & MRS. RAT

David K - 6-26-2010 at 08:44 AM

Quote:
Wow! I have never heard of or seen this book--Bja Legends. What a great history of the early days! I have always wished I was older to have explored and traveled California, Alta and Baja California. Greg Nieman? He must have had fun reseraching this information. Is he from San Diego? Muchisimas Gracias, Dennis. A great resource for firelight banter & bullpuckey! Smiles

Copies of Greg's excellent book are still for sale at major bookstores, as well as at Discover Baja Travel Club... and online from Sunbelt... See Greg's web site, too (links are in the Baja Book Authors section at VivaBaja.com)

Here's Greg Niemann sitting between me and Graham Mackintosh at the Pyramid Resort's 4th book signing event:

Greg's web site for ordering his books:

http://www.gregniemann.com/

[Edited on 6-26-2010 by David K]

books 054.jpg - 45kB

KASHEYDOG - 6-26-2010 at 10:00 PM

Hey thanks Dave, for the info on Baja Legends. I just bought it on line. Can't wait to read it :yes:

eetdrt88 - 6-26-2010 at 11:25 PM

excellent read! both of those guys in the pic w/ david k r unbelievable authors in my opinion:yes:

wilderone - 6-27-2010 at 08:02 AM

I don't know if they still do this, but just about every holiday there would be a pig roast and pot luck, free to anyone. I was with a friend on a weekend kayak trip and dropped in to camp here, having backed out of the toobigforme surf launch kayak paddle that morning. It was Memorial Day and the "happening" was on. Had the most wonderful time - the pig was awesome, the seafood stew fantastic, potluck dishes memorable, music etc.. Met lots of neighbors who regularly show up for these holiday gatherings.

GregN - 7-23-2010 at 11:07 AM

Just spotted this thread. Thnaks for the kind words, especially you, David. I appreciate your continuing to plug my books. Unfortunately, I keep heading north from Baja with other projects. "Palm Springs Legends" is doing well, and my "Las Vegas Legends" will be released in October. www.gregniemann.com

David K - 7-23-2010 at 06:03 PM

Always happy to help the Baja authors who do so much to share the beauty and history of the magic peninsula... Remember Greg, I have 'Baja Fever' (too)! :tumble::light::cool:

BajaNomad - 7-25-2010 at 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GregN
I keep heading north from Baja with other projects. "Palm Springs Legends" is doing well, and my "Las Vegas Legends" will be released in October.
More on this:

http://tinyurl.com/2fwjb8r

edm1 - 7-25-2010 at 06:26 AM

So David, when are you gonna write your book? Better stop putting so many miles on the Tacoma and hit the desk (or the laptop, an e-book maybe, a complete chronology of your Baja travels, charge $14.99 per download), it'd be worth it just for the road logs and pics alone, leaving out the what happens in Baja stays in Baja ...:-) The future generations will be thankul for it, I think.

[Edited on 7-25-2010 by edm1]

David K - 7-25-2010 at 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by edm1
So David, when are you gonna write your book? Better stop putting so many miles on the Tacoma and hit the desk (or the laptop, an e-book maybe, a complete chronology of your Baja travels, charge $14.99 per download), it'd be worth it just for the road logs and pics alone, leaving out the what happens in Baja stays in Baja ...:-) The future generations will be thankul for it, I think.

[Edited on 7-25-2010 by edm1]

Thanks Art... very kind words!

I have posted my past published road logs on Nomad, on Baja Gringo's 'TalkBaja.com' and on Baja Brit's 'The Baja Forum'... I think on Vagabundos, too...

Baja data between Baja amigos should flow freely, like an ice cold Pacifico or XX... It is the fear of Mexico or bad roads or need for 4WD that keeps the unworthy away from the cool spots. Bad Roads bring Good People, afterall! That was proven on our Mision Santa Maria trip last May and our Shell Island trip on the 4th of July. :light::cool:

When I slow down, maybe a book? I had fun writing/ publishing books when I was younger!

mailedD3.jpg - 43kB

David K - 7-25-2010 at 09:54 AM

Here's the one I wrote and published when I was 15 (summer of 1973)... Porky Pig (Dave & Juanita) found one a few years ago and sent it to me!

Baja TH-r.JPG - 47kB

rts551 - 7-25-2010 at 10:01 AM

Anyone else got pics of Cielito Lindo?

David K - 7-25-2010 at 10:16 AM

Yes... here are some from M's first BBBB party, in 2001:

http://www.vivabaja.com/van1/index.html

David K - 7-25-2010 at 10:18 AM

Also, M's 4th Boojum Buddies Baja Bash at Cielito Lindo, in 2002: http://www.vivabaja.com/bbbb4/

Ken Bondy - 7-25-2010 at 10:28 AM

Working on the crabs:

I am a big fan of the crabs, despite the work and the blood loss. They are "muy sabroso" and you burn more calories eating them than they contain. Someone mentioned "doggie friendly". Has anyone else ever had a fling with Max, the big brown friendly local mutt who hangs around the bar? I don't know what it was, but Max fell madly in love with me on one visit to CL. More accurately, he fell madly in love with my leg. It was quite an emotional and physical experience for me, my hands bleeding from the crab shells, looking down at Max's big beautiful brown eyes as he vigorously humped my leg. The waiters got a big kick out of it but eventually had to drag him away, heartbroken.

jeans - 7-25-2010 at 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
Wow - this is good news. "John Wayne sheets?" that's funny right there. I'm looking thru my photos of BBBB#1 held at Cielito Lindo and oops!, better not post that one....heh

Santiago - Just wanted to say "Hi":saint:

About the margaritas..I second the advice...Drink more than two at your own risk... but confiscate all cameras first.;)

rts551 - 7-25-2010 at 11:31 AM

looks like a fun ending to a good trip.. see you next time.

Catalina - 7-25-2010 at 03:20 PM

I hve experienced the rath of more then two margaritas:) OMG!!
Still Love Ceilito lindo!!

[Edited on 09/02/06 by Catalina]

Natalie Ann - 7-25-2010 at 03:43 PM

Nice story, Ken.:lol:

Between your dog, Graham's burro, and dk's finger blood....
I'm not eager to enjoy a meal there soon.:P

nena

David K - 7-25-2010 at 04:09 PM

Baja Angel got cut up worse than I... There is no reason to have that much pain eating crab claws! The paprika can go, too!

They need Sponge Bob to make crabby patties!:light:

BajaNomad - 7-25-2010 at 09:01 PM

cracked-crab-cielito-lindo.jpg - 21kB