BajaNomad

darn it I just snapped a Dana 60 rear axle

fishabductor - 6-25-2010 at 05:32 PM

Yep, I busted a dana 60 axle completely in 2. Housing and axle shaft on my 96 dodge 2500 4x4 running 33" tires.

The truck has 48,000km(it's mexican) that is about 27k miles on it.

the truck only had 60 gallons of water and a 300lb spa heater in the truck when it broke.

The replacement axle is getting a boxed truss, as is the front dana 60.

Once i get the truck back from the mechanic I will post a photo of the carnage.

At least now I have a spare 3rd member, brakes, about 500+lbs of scrap steel.

This all happened on the palo escopeta rd at dust. I didn't get the truck back to san jose until 11pm, via towtruck. The truck was left alone outside Mike Quades in san jose, thankfully the truck had bcs plates and did not get broken into...not sure the plates helped...but it didn't get broken into.

:fire::fire::fire::fire:

[Edited on 6-26-2010 by fishabductor]

[Edited on 6-26-2010 by BajaNomad]

surfer jim - 6-25-2010 at 06:32 PM

It has been my experience that when off-roading and something of this magnitude occurs......alcohol was involved;D.(don't ask how I would know such things).

So.....it's time to tell the whole story.....:spingrin:

tiotomasbcs - 6-25-2010 at 07:17 PM

High speed driving while experiencing Altered States?! I've had Cardon Cactus jump out in front of me!:coolup::o:cool:

KAT54 - 6-25-2010 at 07:19 PM

Were you too loaded?
Why does the truck have a nonstock axel?

woody with a view - 6-25-2010 at 07:21 PM

why do you only ask retarded questions?

can't you contribute anything but stupid one liners, ever?

edm1 - 6-25-2010 at 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim

So.....it's time to tell the whole story.....:spingrin:

Yes fishab..., tell us more how it happened, please; we can learn from it.

[Edited on 6-26-2010 by edm1]

fishabductor - 6-25-2010 at 08:43 PM

No alcohol...I no longer drink. Nothing else to alter my state, and I was only driving 40mph.

However I have only owned the truck for a week, so i don't know the history. Maybe the last owner...Paris Hilton's uncle... trashed it before I bought it? For all I know Paris held an Orgy in the back of the truck.

no one said anything about a non stock axle. Dodges come stock with dana 60's, which is a very heavy duty axle.

mojo_norte - 6-25-2010 at 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishabductor
Yep, I busted a dana 60 axle completely in 2. Housing and axle shaft on my 96 dodge 2500 4x4 running 33" tires.

]

Oversize tires may have been a factor in the failure

fishabductor - 6-25-2010 at 08:52 PM

when I got to san Jose to get my blood test for my Mex drivers licence, I have no issues, No oil under the truck...I always look.

When I came out of a meeting with my Accountant. I found a large puddle under the rear diff, coming from where the axle housing meets up with the pumpkin.

I took the truck to a welder who comes baja race rigs and had him welded a very big bead around the leaking spot. I had probably busted the housing on the trip in at some point. and the rig was being help up by the dana 60's inner axle shaft.

On the way back out to the coast. 40 miles offroad. I met a truck on the road, and had to go up on the sand shoulder. At this point the inner axle shaft must have gave and the whole back of the truck dropped and the pumpkin drug on the ground until I realized what happened. I had to put the truck in 4 lo and drag my butt(literally) off the road.

fishabductor - 6-25-2010 at 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mojo_norte
Quote:
Originally posted by fishabductor

]

Oversize tires may have been a factor in the failure

Could have been, but dana 60's are what alot of the rock crawlers lust after, they run 37-47" tires on these axles and beat the hell on them for the fun of it, they are also running 500hp on these axles. I have a stock 360 that has 245hp. Maybe it was the new flomaster muffler I added at the same time the axle repair was made. Maybe it trippled my horsepower:lol::lol:

edm1 - 6-25-2010 at 09:18 PM

Sorry to hear that . . pre-existing condition/crack when you bought it.

msteve1014 - 6-26-2010 at 06:11 AM

it sounds like that truck has had a rough life. time to check everything while it is down, so you don't replace 1 part at a time for the rest of it's life.

fishabductor - 6-26-2010 at 06:47 AM

That's what I am thinking....the trucks entire life was spent in baja. and the guy probably beat it. The tranny, transfer and motor all seem fine. I am going to tear apart the front dana 60 when the truck gets back.

i wish I could have brought the truck home and did all the wrenching myself, however it was a long ways from home when it broke and the tow truck fee would have probably equalled the mechanic fee. And mike should be able to locate the parts alot easier than me.

surfer jim - 6-26-2010 at 05:37 PM

Natural causes....well it had the begining of a great story anyway.

Hmmm.....Paris Hilton.......now if that truck could talk.:lol: