BajaNomad

Fishing Report - East Cape

Osprey - 6-30-2010 at 03:31 PM

1. Last week this 105 pound wahoo was caught near the Punta Colorado lighthouse. Boat was Tres Amigos with capt. Ramon Almanza. Unnamed 16 year old lad caught it on 50 # test mono, no wire, 06 hook with a Cabalitto as bait.

2. Solid proof that bait is scarce -- two days ago I saw an osprey atop a fence post holding down a very unhappy foot long spiney tailed iguana.

Ramon wahoo.jpg - 42kB

dtbushpilot - 6-30-2010 at 03:45 PM

Sweeeeeet.....can't wait to get back down.....dt

fishabductor - 6-30-2010 at 06:19 PM

That is 105# of delicious eating fish.

That fish looks twice the size of the kid.

Any idea how long the battle lasted?

[Edited on 7-1-2010 by fishabductor]

Udo - 6-30-2010 at 06:38 PM

I was told by Stan Houck that a wahoo has to be cleaned and filleted almost immediately after catching or the meat goes downhill very fast.

fishabductor - 6-30-2010 at 07:27 PM

Now that were talking about wahoo care...do you fillet? I like to steak out wahoos.

I throw all my fish in a burlap sack and keep wet, it's also out of the sun that way.

Dorado also goes downhill fast.

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 6-30-2010 at 07:48 PM

Hola, due to the fishing laws in mexico, we are not allowed to fillet or steak fish out on the waters ( clean ) and if caught, they can confiscate the boat and all the equipment and levy a fine for redemption. we did have a previous discussion here of what constitutes " cleaning " and the internet resolution, not the mexican legal interpretation was filleting on the boats.

however, we have found having a body bag with only one bag of ice in it really keeps the fish in a cold condition. the best way according to keeping within the law is to first bleed the fish and then remove the guts and put ice in the cavity. obviously, if the fish is too long for the body bag, we cut them in half as to keep the integrety of the fish for identification purposes which we believe is why fish are not to be filleted out on the waters, identification of species, as is the case in calif. with a skin patch on each fillet.

initial investment is about $ 300.00 but is really worth it opposed to just putting fish in holds with ice or in ice chests as the entire content of the body bag is kept extremely well.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

fishabductor - 6-30-2010 at 07:55 PM

I fillet/clean at home...when I'm on the water...I am fishing. I use wet burlap sacks and have had great success with them. They are only about $5. when I get a prize fish I usually call it a short day and head on in to care for the fish. I usuallt won't fish for more than an hour with a prime fish onboard.

mulegemichael - 6-30-2010 at 08:52 PM

nice fish, jorge....sure wish carlos was still the skipper of tres amigos...rip, amigo.