BajaNomad

Sunday Lunch Trip to Tortugas --

DianaT - 7-1-2010 at 01:57 PM

It was Sunday and mid-morning we decided to take a drive to we did not know where.

From our home in Bahia Asuncion, we started out the back road to San Jose del Castro.

These guys waved to us as we went by.

The road to the San Pablo turn-off needs a grader---not real bad, but definitely real teeth chattering in places.

These tarantula hawks were guarding the milkweed near the turn-off to San Pablo. I wished I had my macro lens, but did not---but then again, the telephoto was probably better because I certainly did not want to annoy them.

I had not seen these beasts before, but I just knew that a wasp looking thing that is 2 inches in size was not a critter with whom I wanted to be too friendly.

Sure enough, I checked them out at the Desert USA site and they are known as having one of the worst stings of any insects.

But like all creatures, they are very interesting. If they eat fermented fruit, they can become flight challenged---a drunk wasp would be something to see. There is far more information about them at the link above.

Since the road beyond San Pablo was in EXCELLENT condition, (last time we went it was awful) we checked the gas gauge and decided to head on to Tortugas for lunch. Besides, as we are often warned this road can be very dangerous because of the blind curves and hills and the locals drive way too fast. But Mexico was playing Argentina at the time, so we did not see one other car on the road all the way to Tortugas.

Well, at least it is not another tire on a cactus.

Calling Mexitron or Debra---not sure what these are, but we think they are some type of agave. Right now they are beautiful and pop out among the gray elephant trees

And the bees love them.

A sure sign we were at the ranch.

After meeting with the main highway, it is only a mile or so until one reaches the pavement. But when we returned to BA, we decided to take the main road back to the turn-off to BA---bad choice as parts of it right now are washboard heaven.

Lunch was quite good in Tortugas

Since we had not gone on to Punta Eugenia before, we decided to head out the 25 kilometers---great road. It is just one of those end of the earth places.

Very, very interesting terrain. At first it is quite barren and then there is a large area of cardons ---and then some of the most interesting elephant trees we have ever seen.

Of course some are growing right out of the rock as they like to do.

But so many of them were growing like large serpents hugging the ground and they are not all in very windy areas. Some are in quite protected areas, but still hug the ground.

One of the larger ones

Punta Eugenia

The fishing fleet

The rugged coastline beyond Punta Eugenia

The end of the earth

And cannot end this without at least one picture of my partner in crime

And our fur babies--

The little predator

And Mr. Mellow

Thank you for looking

Diana

Natalie Ann - 7-1-2010 at 03:04 PM

Agave bloom.... nice, very very nice.;D

nena

Udo - 7-1-2010 at 04:20 PM

Thanks for the photos and a trip back from memory lane. Punta eugenia has not changed.

Frank - 7-1-2010 at 04:29 PM

Beautiful work Diana.

Bajahowodd - 7-1-2010 at 04:37 PM

Diane- You guys are really living the good life. People should be jealous. Seriously. Your "lunch trip" was just about as good as it gets.

knuckles - 7-1-2010 at 04:39 PM

Thanks for Sharing Diana.

Somehow I always end up with just one more of my dog as too. It can't be helped :tumble:

DianaT - 7-1-2010 at 05:09 PM

Thanks to all of you---appreciate the comments!

I wonder if Punta Eugenia will change when the road is all paved and repaired. Things sure have changed around here in the last few years.

Life is good and we are having a great time. And to think that right after we retired I actually missed work----got over that!

knuckles---I think we have as many pix of the fur babies as we do of the grandchildren. :biggrin:

bajafam - 7-1-2010 at 09:45 PM

As always, your photos are gorgeous!! Thank you for taking the time to share them with us!

David K - 7-1-2010 at 10:22 PM

Really nice look into an area we don't see much of here... Thank you!

Meany - 7-2-2010 at 06:30 AM

Thanks Diana for a trip to a place I've never been too. Can't wait to go. Great photos..

Lauriboats - 7-2-2010 at 06:36 AM

Looks like a great place for lunch, maybe we can try it next year.

DianaT - 7-2-2010 at 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lauriboats
Looks like a great place for lunch, maybe we can try it next year.

It is and if that road is in decent shape, you would enjoy the drive.

It is a rather passed by place by most as it is a long drive out to the tip of the big hook, but that may change. We already know one person who has bought a second home out there because the spear fishing is supposed to be outstanding.

Still so many places left to explore, and happy that some enjoy coming along. Appreciate it.

Diana

Diana

[Edited on 7-2-2010 by DianaT]

k-rico - 7-2-2010 at 07:19 AM

Great wasp photos, I happen to be one myself! :spingrin:

Did you have the birria? One of my favorite Mex breakfasts.

Your trip reminded me of a video of Bahia Tortugas I recently watched while doing some keyboard traveling.

Have you ever thought about putting one of these together? Yours would be better than most that I've seen.

This one includes some pleasant music.

shari - 7-2-2010 at 07:31 AM

great pics as usual and good idea about the musical travelogue.

Just to let ya know...there is a fishing tournament in Pta.Eugenia on July 10th in case anybody is around these parts...should yeild some nice yellowtail.

DianaT - 7-2-2010 at 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by k-rico
Great wasp photos, I happen to be one myself! :spingrin:

Did you have the birria? One of my favorite Mex breakfasts.

Your trip reminded me of a video of Bahia Tortugas I recently watched while doing some keyboard traveling.

Have you ever thought about putting one of these together? Yours would be better than most that I've seen.

This one includes some pleasant music.

The birria was good and she was very generous with the amount she piled on. Business was slow because of the game on TV----

Thanks for the U-tube idea. I will not be able to watch this until we are back in the states----this dial-up speed banda ancha will not play a u-tube, but I like the idea---thanks. Think I will work on that idea when we are back in the states.

Well, Punta Eugenia is a good place for a July fishing tournament because it sure won't be too hot!

BTW---we have had more June gloom than last year and it has been cooler many days. Seems like everyone wants the sun, sun, and more sun. Am we the only ones who love waking up to a heavy cool gray overcast?

:yes: