BajaNomad

Sun, Sand, and Shells (part 1)

Ken Cooke - 7-10-2010 at 12:47 PM

My new wife Leidys (w/Conditional US Residency) and I traveled for our first time outside of the United States and we have a few photos to share with everyone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After watching the Quarter finals - Holland vs. Brazil, Leidys and I traveled south along I-15 for a quick dinner at Chipotle before heading east along I-8 to the Calexico corridor and finally into Mexicali.

Due to the seismic activity in and around the Mexicali region, the roads south of Mexicali were under construction, and they left everyone gasping for air as the roads were nothing more than powder-dust covered routes through the Mexicali desert.

After traveling for 9 hours, we arrived in San Felipe, and we stumbled upon a GREAT MOTEL just North of town - The Diamante Motel.

Leidys and I were treated to a new, clean facility which boasted total vehicle security - a locked garage for the Rubicon! A heated swimming pool and an ice-cold Air Conditioner along with Sky Satellite TV and heated shower for $28/night or $56/3 nights were some of the selling points of this magnificent find.

Leidys in front of Diamante Motel

After checking out of our Motel the following day, we drove to the Malecon and dined at Mariscos La Morena.

After watching another World Cup match, we walked along the Malecon, snapping photos and enjoying the ubiquitous warm weather of San Felipe.

Shell Island is roughly 20 miles south of San Felipe. Our Jeep Rubicon made the trip without any difficulties along the soft blow sand, and within minutes we set up our new Quick Shade. Leidys enjoyed the view while I emptied the two levels of storage within the short-wheelbase Jeep.

[Edited on 7-10-2010 by Ken Cooke]

Ken Cooke - 7-10-2010 at 12:55 PM

North of our camping spot, was David K & Baja Angel. They arrived about 1 hour before we did, and were promptly set up and already enjoying the warm 85 deg.F San Felipe weather.

Leidys was surprised with David's ability to speak Spanish with her, and we shared some beverages and shade while we waited for our new friend Arturo to arrive.

Ken Cooke - 7-10-2010 at 12:58 PM

Leidys was amazed by the quantity of sea shells on Shell Island. So, we went walking around, looking for shells to collect...

David was surprised by the rough waves along Shell Island. Lots of wind wasn't necessarily a bad thing, though.

WE HAVE AN ARRIVAL!!

Ken Cooke - 7-10-2010 at 01:04 PM

Leidys makes a discovery on Shell Island

After 1 hour of shoveling and carrying buckets of water to the front of Arturos truck to solidify the sand, he was up and running...making his run to camp, which was a snap for him to set up.

10,000 lbs. of pure Detroit Beef! :yes:

BAJACAT - 7-10-2010 at 01:40 PM

KOOL PIX, KEN, it loks like you guys had a great time, congrats on Leidys to be able to go to MX. I see a Baja Grande in the future...Just like DK I hope one day I caan do a Baja trip with you guys, this year it was kind of slow for me, plus all those repairs I had to do on my truck...

TMW - 7-10-2010 at 02:26 PM

Beautiful pixs from the too much fun club. Thanks

wessongroup - 7-10-2010 at 02:31 PM

Thanks for sharing Ken... and your wife's smile is killer.. your a lucky man..

And cheer up.. your supposed to be having fun.. just joking with you.. know you are..

Nice trip glad all was fun with no problems ... your jeep looks like your time and effort has been well rewarded... with a good looking and sound running rig..

Again thanks.. and glad you take a camera too and take shots..

[Edited on 7-10-2010 by wessongroup]

edm1 - 7-10-2010 at 02:33 PM

Ken, that hotel sure has the looks of a 4-star in the US. Nice find!

Thanks for sharing the pics and I hope to share another trip with you and Leidys again, perhaps another to Shell Island or further down south like Asuncion or even La Paz. I promise to bring lumpias, pansit, adobos and the like.

Ken Cooke - 7-10-2010 at 04:51 PM

While Arturo stayed back in camp, we all climbed in our silver 4WDs, and shuttled ourselves down to Shell Beach. Here is what it all looked like...

The weather was much cooler than we thought it would be. We missed Arturo while out sightseeing. Next time, I am sure he will want to see Shell Beach.

Here is Leidys and I enjoying the beach while collecting a load of shells.

I spent time on Shell Beach with David K back in 2001 - where did all of the years go??? Leidys really thought David and Elizabeth were great people.

[Edited on 7-10-2010 by Ken Cooke]

Ken Cooke - 7-10-2010 at 04:56 PM

Our steeds parked, and on the ready...

Sand dollars by the plenty!

There appeared to be a sandbar out in the distance.

Traveling north to Percebu lagoon

Ken Cooke - 7-10-2010 at 05:04 PM

Pelicans occupied the coastline, searching for dinner.

Rancho Percebu, behind Leidys now has a nice campground, and plenty of homes to part-timers. Sadly, there were few people here for the 4th of July weekend.

The tide cycle prevented the lagoon from filling completely past our camp. The tide mark was also a bit shallow, but provided some great swimming opportunities for all of us.

High tide looked like this.

David K - 7-10-2010 at 05:48 PM

It was a great trip...... Thanks for posting the photos Ken... When do we return? :light::cool:

Ken & Leidys, David and Baja Angel

Gypsy Jan - 7-10-2010 at 06:21 PM

Keep it up! The pictures are beautiful, a mini-virtual travel fantasy for the rest of us and you look like you are having the time of your life.

Thanks for sharing.

David K - 7-10-2010 at 07:02 PM

It is pure Baja, and what keeps us returning. Sun, Sand, Shells... and the Sea of Cortez... It remains awesome even 32 years after the first time I camped there, on the island. :biggrin::yes::coolup: