BajaNomad

Sun, Sand, and Shells (part 2) - San Felipe, Ensenada, Tijuana

Ken Cooke - 7-10-2010 at 05:24 PM

Arturo had to return home, but with his tires aired down to approx. 10 p.s.i. all around, he was able to creep along the beach without any trouble.

Here, Arturo is providing shade to the camp before heading home.

Morning in camp.

Morning along Shell Island

Arturo's rig!

Ken Cooke - 7-10-2010 at 05:32 PM

Arturo did all of the work himself...Here's a look inside of the Baja Bus!

Dual Alternators power the gadgets atop a 3500 1-ton engine!:O

Enough room for the entire family...and then some!

Insulation for the cold-air intake system keeps the engine cool, and the noise-level quiet.

All 4 on the floor!:bounce:

Got Power? :!:

Symptoms of the Mission Santa Maria run. Arturo will be mounting the unibody to a frame to prevent more damage such as this buckling to the cabinetry.:!:

Full theatre w/Surround 5.1 Dolby Audio...for the trail! :!:

Ensenada!

Ken Cooke - 7-10-2010 at 05:38 PM

This was Leidys' first time in Ensenada. SHE LOVED IT! Maybe, one day we can take a cruise to Ensenada...

The fish market had all the great stuff! I wish there was one where we live!!

This was Leidys' and my first trip alone together (outside of Colombia). Great times, indeed.

Tijuana!

Ken Cooke - 7-10-2010 at 05:46 PM

As we arrived into Tijuana, a cool 65 degrees prevailed the entire time we were there. Identical to Bogota, Colombia - we suddenly felt cold and had to replace our desert clothing for colder climate clothing.

Tijuana is home to probably 1/3rd of my friends. Leidys was fortunate enough to meet all of them! This is Nena and her two pretty daughters Michelle and Raquel.

I first met Noeh on the Baja Pole Line Road back in 2005. Then, he was a 13 yr. old kid - now he has a job at the local theatre and is preparing for University studies.

Willys' Off Road shop in Playas de Tijuana. Here I am with Willy and some of the rigs that has made him a local fixture in the 4WD scene in Tijuana.

Monster meats, 1 ton running gear, and a mini truck body. This is one of Willys' personal vehicles.

Total Jeep Security!

Ken Cooke - 7-10-2010 at 05:49 PM

El Mirador Motel along the US/Mexico border in the Soler section of Tijuana provides garage protection for your vehicle - just like in San Felipe. 300 Pesos/night was the daily rate at El Mirador Motel. They don't advertise on-line - adding to the surprise element of our bargain search throughout the Baja continent.

David K - 7-10-2010 at 05:50 PM

Great stuff!! Thanks Ken... ;D

The Thursday Soler Market (near Carl's Jr.) in Tijuana

Ken Cooke - 7-10-2010 at 05:53 PM

Yes, that's CG next to Leidys!

Noeh showed up as well.

Shoppers by the dozens in Soler.

Bargains a plenty!

CG and family.

Leidys loved seeing the things for sale. This reminded her of Downtown Barranquilla, Colombia. Lots of good stuff for low prices.

CG's new Baja Crawler in its' infant stage...

Ken Cooke - 7-10-2010 at 06:01 PM

We eventually had to throw in the travel towel and head home. :(

Thanks to CG for his family's hospitality, and David K, Elizabeth, and Arthur for such a great vacation!

End of thread....

David K - 7-10-2010 at 06:03 PM

Great to camp with other happy, positive, four wheeling friends!

Curt63 - 7-10-2010 at 07:04 PM

Great trip report. great pics. great lookin people. I wanna roll with you in Baja someday.

Cheers Curt

edm1 - 7-10-2010 at 07:45 PM

Wow, you found CG and his family in TJ! Does he have a place there?

And really gorgeous babes in Tijuana, I gotta tell my son to come with me to Baja next time so he can meet some Mexican/Latina babes. Gotta catch up with DK on becoming a grandpa :-)

Great photos Ken. Thanks for sharing!

Art

[Edited on 7-11-2010 by edm1]

David K - 7-10-2010 at 08:06 PM

Art, fyi... I just posted the trip report on Tacoma World (Travel Forum)... since you are also a member there.

Von - 7-10-2010 at 09:07 PM

AWESOME pictures!

Ken Cooke - 7-10-2010 at 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by edm1
Wow, you found CG and his family in TJ! Does he have a place there?

CG is a very good friend of mine, and he isn't too difficult to find. I was blessed to have met him 5 yrs ago when I was hosting 4WD trips into Baja to the Pole Line Road. I always look forward to visiting him and his family when I travel south.

k-rico - 7-10-2010 at 09:17 PM

Quote:
And really gorgeous babes in Tijuana, I gotta tell my son to come with me to Baja next time so he can meet some Mexican/Latina babes.

Something every father should do with his (over 18) son. Some really friendly chicas here in TJ. ;D

Ken Cooke - 7-10-2010 at 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by k-rico
Quote:
And really gorgeous babes in Tijuana, I gotta tell my son to come with me to Baja next time so he can meet some Mexican/Latina babes.

Something every father should do with his (over 18) son. Some really friendly chicas here in TJ. ;D

Arturo isn't looking for his son to "Pay to Play", just to meet someone nice.

k-rico - 7-10-2010 at 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
Quote:

It's not necessarily an either/or situation. I guess I should have interpreted And really gorgeous babes to mean nice girls.

Ken Cooke - 7-10-2010 at 11:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
Quote:

It's not necessarily an either/or situation. I guess I should have interpreted And really gorgeous babes to mean nice girls.

No worries. I would hate for Arturo (and son) to get mixed up in the wrong side of Tijuana. There are so many nice people there. But, learning to speak Spanish will take his son quite a long ways towards striking up conversations.

David K - 7-11-2010 at 08:03 AM

"But, learning to speak Spanish will take his son quite a long ways towards striking up conversations."

It may not be so bad, as Tagalog and Spanish are very close.

If his son also speaks Tagalog, that is.

(edited for goat, Art is from the Philippenes and Tagalog is the official language there)

[Edited on 7-11-2010 by David K]

mtgoat666 - 7-11-2010 at 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

wtf?

Ken Cooke - 7-11-2010 at 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by David K

wtf?

Spanish and Tagalog share similar verbs and nouns. Art was able to follow my conversations with my wife who speaks Spanish.

Art - get your son a Passport!:bounce:

edm1 - 7-11-2010 at 09:32 AM

"If his son also speaks Tagalog, that is."

Unfortunately, my son, having been born and bred here in the US, doesn't speak or understand Tagalog. (In retrospect, we should have been speaking the dialect more when the kids were growing up so they could have learned/preserved the heritage).

But I wasn't counting on conversations to ignite a spark, wouldn't just the chemistry of the aura of two people be enough, and let that transcend and be all the reason to overcome the language barrier? Ha Ken? :-)

Ken Cooke - 7-12-2010 at 10:27 PM

Quote:

But I wasn't counting on conversations to ignite a spark, wouldn't just the chemistry of the aura of two people be enough, and let that transcend and be all the reason to overcome the language barrier? Ha Ken? :-)

You never know. If your son sees himself speaking Spanish with a significant other in his future, taking a conversation course would be a good idea.