BajaNomad

Replacing Baja Tires

joel - 7-22-2010 at 05:38 PM

I just looked at the tires in my beach 4runner. As near as I can tell, they are 10 years old (only "code" I can find on the tire is AR431) and look it. Lots of tread, but the sidewalls are quite cracked.

Any advice on buying replacement tires in Baja? How much more do new tires cost in Baja than the states (the nearest tire store is a few hours away) from us. Better to bring down them down one at a time from the states (in our other vehicle)?

[Edited on 7-23-2010 by joel]

Russ - 7-22-2010 at 06:25 PM

10 years ago the price for my truck tires was a dollar cheaper last year one for the Explorer was $60 bucks more than the States. There are a few middle men between here and Tj and each gets a cut. Maybe the costs are more reasonable in Ensenada or TJ??

fishabductor - 7-22-2010 at 07:14 PM

here we go again

I find that the cheaper cost of mounting, and balancing in mx makes up the difference in cost.

[Edited on 7-23-2010 by fishabductor]

joel - 7-23-2010 at 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishabductor
here we go again

I find that the cheaper cost of mounting, and balancing in mx makes up the difference in cost.

Good point, I hadn't thought of.

Do you think it makes a big difference between buying them in La Paz versus the nearest town -- Constitucion?

DENNIS - 7-23-2010 at 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by joel

Do you think it makes a big difference between buying them in La Paz versus the nearest town -- Constitucion?

GASP...Ohhh...the horror of that thought. Buy them in La Paz. Stay away from CC.

Bob and Susan - 7-23-2010 at 01:45 PM

i never pay for mounting in the USA

bajabass - 7-23-2010 at 02:49 PM

A few chains include the mounting, and even balancing. Ya gotta know it is worked into the price of the tire. I've sold an average of 10k a month in tires for the last 20 years in my alignment shop. I always charge for the mounting and balancing. Rotations and flat repairs are included in the deal though. My customers do not question the cost, when they see me, the owner, out there balancing and aligning there cars and trucks. Paying 20-25 bucks a tire for a minimum wage employee is a different story. You would be suprised how many "great deals" I have the distinct pleasure of sorting out, at my premium rates. It only has to happen once, and they are customers for life. My advice is find a good, honest place, and stick with them. The initial price may be higher, but the benifits will outweigh the cost. Peace of mind with tires and brakes is priceless!!

Baja12valve - 7-23-2010 at 03:26 PM

I would buy local, keeps the economy going and you will be remembered by the locals accordingly. Extra cost, if any, will be well worth it.

rts551 - 7-23-2010 at 04:42 PM

buy local Joel. In Abreojos and La Bocana Llantera Arce always gives a price competitive with those of the US

fishabductor - 7-24-2010 at 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by joel
Quote:
here we go again

Good point, I hadn't thought of.

I bought a set of BFG All Terrains in Constitution once after a trip out to mag bay.

The last set of tires I bought a few months back from costco in Cabo san Lucas. were $7900 pesos, The tires were BFG mud terrains in 285/75/16. This price included mounting. These cost in usd was about $660 if I remember right on the exchange rate. These same tires in the states would run about $950-1000 mounted and balanced.

DENNIS - 7-24-2010 at 08:39 AM

Quote:
These cost in usd was about $660 if I remember right on the exchange rate. These same tires in the states would run about $950-1000 mounted and balanced.

Recaps usually do cost a little bit less. :lol:

bajabass - 7-24-2010 at 08:57 AM

:rolleyes::o:tumble:

Bob and Susan - 7-24-2010 at 10:11 AM

don't forget to look at the manufacture date on the tire you get

CP - 7-24-2010 at 10:57 AM

Joel,
Last year we replaced our BFG All Terrains in Cd. Constitucion, mounted, balanced etc, and paid over $100 less total than we did for same in Torrance, CA five years earlier.
Go to Cd. C (just stay off the main road in town!)

fishabductor - 7-24-2010 at 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
These cost in usd was about $660 if I remember right on the exchange rate. These same tires in the states would run about $950-1000 mounted and balanced.

Recaps usually do cost a little bit less. :lol:

Brand spanking new tires from Costco. 3 year guarantee to boot!! I think it came out to about $165/tire/mounted. The total was $7600 pesos.

I bought another set of BFG KM2 mud terrains sized 265/75/16 and they cost me $8900 pesos, back when the dollar was worth 13.5. That was also $660/usd for 4 tires, mounted and balanced. However they are smaller than the 285's recently purchased from costco.

I have a friend who was hauling tires on the airplane 2 each as checked baggage. I could never figure it out, as tires were cheap here, obviously not as cheap as this friend, who happens to be a multi-millionaire.:?:

[Edited on 7-24-2010 by fishabductor]

DENNIS - 7-24-2010 at 12:18 PM

Are BFGs also manufactured in Mexico?

Bob and Susan - 7-24-2010 at 12:23 PM

B.F. Goodrich is just a name...advertising:light:

the tire is made by Michelin

DENNIS - 7-24-2010 at 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
the tire is made by Michelin

Do they make any of them here?

bill erhardt - 7-24-2010 at 05:04 PM

I bought a set of BFG TA KOs for a Tundra earlier this year in Loreto, and priced the same tires at the Costco in Chula Vista. The tires, mounted, balanced, with new stems, were about $100 US cheaper in Loreto than at the Costco in Ca.

rts551 - 7-24-2010 at 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt
I bought a set of BFG TA KOs for a Tundra earlier this year in Loreto, and priced the same tires at the Costco in Chula Vista. The tires, mounted, balanced, with new stems, were about $100 US cheaper in Loreto than at the Costco in Ca.

Thats my experience..... maybe the excise tax?

bill erhardt - 7-25-2010 at 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

Thats my experience..... maybe the excise tax?

I don't know the reason, but it was nice to find that I could stay home and shop locally, and also save money. I also bought at the same tire shop in Loreto some Toyo light truck tires for a tandem boat trailer that are the best trailer tires I've ever had.