BajaNomad

The Tectate Crossing - (Northbound)

Pompano - 7-27-2010 at 11:48 AM

TECATE ROAD - HYW 3

These photos were taken June 3, 2010.

We drove my pickup (3/4 ton-8ft bed) towing ...a beautiful, salmon-tuna-dorado-halibut-yellowtail-pinto-walleye-catching 19ft Yarcraft tiller boat with a great 115hp Evinrude E-tech... north from Conception Bay, Mulege. 650 miles from my driveway to US turf at Tecate.

Ensenada: Going north or coming south...for a few decades, I've always taken the Tecate Road (Hwy 3).. regardless of any road construction delays. I'm Baja-ized, and don't hurry anymore.

Now, you may ask..?
Why not take Hwy 1..the toll road.. to US border?

Because raw sewage is bad for brake linings..and my chest waders leak. :rolleyes:

Other reasons are:

-Hwy 3 is the Ruta del Vino. Wine Country..tours..free tastings..golden opportunity to shop for case deals going south for the season.

-Quail hunts

-My favorite roadside hot dogs

-Two favorite restaurants on Hwy 3. Mustafa's and Laja

-Lots of history and interesting museums

-The last time I drove TJ 1, I had multiple flats from spent ammo casings....9mm.

As you come into this turn..look to the left and see the best road side hot dogs this side of Yankee Stadium. HARD TO PORT!! The Pemex station is convenient, too...hay diesel.

Coming into Tecate and looking for the US crossing? Follow these photos.

No!..you do not take Hwy 2 Tijuana cuota. (I think 'cuota' is slang for sewage.. ?)

Lotsa stop signs at bottoms of grades..duh...they hired flunked-out civil engineering students.

Just keep following the signs..up to MacDonald's and then RIGHT. You'll have time for a Big Mac..double-sized with fries...chocolate malt.....wha?....Hey! Co-pilot! Why didya throw that out the window?.....Why?...why?...sob..sniff

No dreaded cuota..HARD RIGHT..follow those signs. They will take you to another signs soon enough.. US Border Crossing...there you will bend to the LEFT..and come upon...

The road boundary with Welcome-To-America fence on the north side. We drive up the hill. Ahhh... it looks typically empty ...as is always the case for Tecate....:yes::yes:

WRONG! All these glowing reports on Nomads about using the Tecate Crossing rather than the TJ Crossing have caused this to became a traffic nightmare! AVOID USING TECATE AT ALL COSTS....

The good thing is..I bought all my Xmas gifts for this coming season while waiting in line.

The bad thing is..we were robbed at gunpoint twice... by the same churro vendor.

(The first time he took all our money. The second time he took all my Xmas gifts.)

Note the time on my radio...We got in line at 9.

We finally make a fender-crunching turn into US customs....We were WAY TOO LONG to make such a turn without damage.

Then we were sent to secondary to be questioned about Co-pilot's Italian passport. Can't imagine why, but it seemed to puzzle them?? Maybe she fits the profile of certain terrorists..or a pasta smuggler?

...On second thought, she IS a terrorist in the malls..

THEN after an hour's wait in that ridiculous situation at US Customs, Tecate, we were told to get out of the vehicle so they could X-ray the pickup and boat for illegal aliens.

Trying to brighten the mood, I told the official that while they were X-raying my fishing boat, most likely 1500 illegals had just climbed over the fence just a few hundred yards behind us.

He did not smile.

When you finally do make it thru US Customs, brake for this turn (left or right) or you will fly/bounce down into some nasty thorn bushes.

HAVE A SAFE DRIVE HOME..and be sure to write about your trip. :rolleyes:

Hasta la vista, baby...

KAT54 - 7-27-2010 at 12:01 PM

Are there any gas stations along this route?

Bajahowodd - 7-27-2010 at 12:24 PM

Great tutorial, Roger. I can't imagine anyone reading this post could ever get lost on their way to the border. From the date, it appears that you are there on a Thursday morning. 2 1/2 hours is about the longest wait we ever had at Otay, and that was in the afternoon. But you make a good point about the pleasant scenery and roadside opportunities.

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 7-27-2010 at 01:18 PM

Hola pompano,

thank you for posting the tecate route. i always found it but usually by accident as i could never remember where to make the right turn at macdonalds or the left along the gate.

hopefully, i won't get lost around october.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT NAVIGATIONALLY IMPAIRED and unfortunately, i don't have a co-pilot...thank you again.

capt. mike - 7-27-2010 at 01:57 PM

tecate ruta a ensenada beats the pants off the TJ a ensenada ruta either way coming or going hands down in my opinion.
i hope to NEVER drive TJ to ensenada again, cuota rode, libre road - any road.
it sucks, the scenerie is boring after one time, and you don't have the great roadside attractions in the guadalupe valle.

drink up shriners....

knuckles - 7-27-2010 at 02:56 PM

I think you are the man! Wonderful trips, stops at all the main attractions, and if you take me to the mall I am yours.

Co-Pilot must be a lucky gal.

rts551 - 7-27-2010 at 04:37 PM

"WRONG! All these glowing reports on Nomads about using the Tecate Crossing rather than the TJ Crossing have caused this to became a traffic nightmare! AVOID USING TECATE AT ALL COSTS...."

Absolutely

Bajahowodd - 7-27-2010 at 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
"WRONG! All these glowing reports on Nomads about using the Tecate Crossing rather than the TJ Crossing have caused this to became a traffic nightmare! AVOID USING TECATE AT ALL COSTS...."

Absolutely

Actually I think Pompano already brought that up. There are way fewer booths at Tecate. So, it really boils down to whether you would enjoy the trip through the Guadalupe Valley and all its roadside attractions, or you just want to get home fastest. We usually switch off between ports of entry for the sake of variety. There's no denying that the road to and through the very picturesque town has a value of its own. All depends on expectations and priorities.

David K - 7-27-2010 at 04:52 PM

The Tuesday after the 4th of July and last Tuesday, both times about 7:30 pm... 10-15 min. wait.

The right hand lane is now used by daily crossers to park their cars and thus be early in line the next morning! They park in the roght lane, and a friend gives them a ride home... Saw this the past two times in line... As you come to the end of the line, get into the left lane... The first time (July 6) we soon became aware that the right lane was NOT moving!

Word to the unwashed

Dave - 7-27-2010 at 05:27 PM

While this might be tolerated at SY and Otay...

Don't EVER try to cut in line at Tecate!!!

One morning, traffic was backed up over the hill and I made the mistake of following behind a car in the left lane. Turns out he wasn't crossing so I was stuck. I found a spot at the bottom and pulled in. Then all hell broke loose. I was told that if I didn't return to the back of the line the police would be called. These people were royally peeed.

I was shocked, mainly. I've been in Mexico going on 12 years and it's the first time I'd ever seen any regard for the rules. :lol:

Udo - 7-27-2010 at 05:41 PM

One thing will have to get used to @ the Tecate crossings...everyone is very polite while patiently waiting. However, the line cutters (be it inadvertent or on purpose:fire:) are looked on very dimly, and I have heard of people actually getting beaten up for cutting in line.

Tagging on what David stated...I did not know that people parked their cars on the right hand lane for the early morning crossing. I usually cross at about 10 a.m. and the right hand lane is the only lane used.
On second thought...my last crossing was at Otay. It was considerably faster than Tecate.:bounce:

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
While this might be tolerated at SY and Otay...

Don't EVER try to cut in line at Tecate!!!

One morning, traffic was backed up over the hill and I made the mistake of following behind a car in the left lane. Turns out he wasn't crossing so I was stuck. I found a spot at the bottom and pulled in. Then all hell broke loose. I was told that if I didn't return to the back of the line the police would be called. These people were royally peeed.

I was shocked, mainly. I've been in Mexico going on 12 years and it's the first time I'd ever seen any regard for the rules. :lol:

Otay

bajaguy - 7-27-2010 at 05:57 PM

SENTRI crossing......Zoom-Zoom!!

David K - 7-27-2010 at 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
SENTRI crossing......Zoom-Zoom!!

Ah... YOU must be a beautiful man! Hooray Beer! Hooray Sentri!

rts551 - 7-27-2010 at 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
The Tuesday after the 4th of July and last Tuesday, both times about 7:30 pm... 10-15 min. wait.

The right hand lane is now used by daily crossers to park their cars and thus be early in line the next morning! They park in the roght lane, and a friend gives them a ride home... Saw this the past two times in line... As you come to the end of the line, get into the left lane... The first time (July 6) we soon became aware that the right lane was NOT moving!

Do not get into the left lane unless directed. Read Daves post above. I saw the police pull someone out of line last week for trying to squeeze in from the left lane. They took him off downtown somewere

[Edited on 7-28-2010 by rts551]

David K - 7-27-2010 at 06:52 PM

If the right lane is full with PARKED CARS, the only lane that moves is the left lane (of the two going into the U.S. ... No government directive needed, use common sense.

The lane Dave is talking about is the THIRD lane (for local traffic), not the border entrance lane. This is the lane that people parking their cars along the fence (right lane) walked over to and got into other cars to drive them home.

The parking along the lane and closing it may be just a weekday thing and maybe they will put a stop to it.

Dave - 7-27-2010 at 08:01 PM

Quote:
The lane Dave is talking about is the THIRD lane (for local traffic), not the border entrance lane.

David, there is no third lane. See the above pictures. When the border is open the right lane is for regular 'border only' traffic. Left lane for commercial vehicles and local through traffic.

rts551 - 7-27-2010 at 08:46 PM

Quote:
If the right lane is full with PARKED CARS, the only lane that moves is the left lane (of the two going into the U.S. ... No government directive needed, use common sense.

The lane Dave is talking about is the THIRD lane (for local traffic), not the border entrance lane. This is the lane that people parking their cars along the fence (right lane) walked over to and got into other cars to drive them home.

The parking along the lane and closing it may be just a weekday thing and maybe they will put a stop to it.

You are not even close. hope o one listens to you on this one. I use this crossing every couple of months and know.like Dave says. look at your own pictures as well as the ones in this post

[Edited on 7-28-2010 by rts551]

David K - 7-28-2010 at 07:08 AM

Okay sure... I am talking about Tecate, Mexico... near the U.S. entrance... 2 lanes are normally the ones that move into the U.S. There is a third lane for local traffic the final few blocks... and the last two times crossing north THIS MONTH, on Tuedays, the right lane was blocked by people parking their cars in the evening (7-8 pm) to be 'in-line' the next morning.

Edit: Just looked at Pompano's pics above, and the THIRD lane is seen... In the photo with the semi going towards Pomp... the concrete dividers seperate the two U.S. bound lanes from the third, local traffic lane... Facts are facts, no matter how much they try and spin them!

[Edited on 7-28-2010 by David K]

DENNIS - 7-28-2010 at 07:11 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave

David, there is no third lane. See the above pictures. When the border is open the right lane is for regular 'border only' traffic. Left lane for commercial vehicles and local through traffic.

That's right, almost...until the lines of traffic reach the gates, at which time they cross each other, passenger vehicles taking the left gates and commercial vehicles going to the right.
There is no through traffic in the mix. They are on the other side of the K-Rail.

[hope no one is relying on this thread for knowledgeable guidance]

DENNIS - 7-28-2010 at 07:13 AM

Quote:
the right lane was blocked by people parking their cars in the evening (7-8 pm) to be 'in-line' the next morning.

WOW...That one's new to me. Didn't know they did that. I never cross at that hour.

RIGHT LANE..RIGHT LANE..RIGHT LANE

Pompano - 7-28-2010 at 08:47 AM

THE RIGHT LANE..sheesh. JR is growling about now...:rolleyes:

Closer to the USA entry, the road returns to 2-way, allowing trucks coming from west to enter US commercial truck entry. Custom is to alternate passage or as situation dictates.

[Edited on 7-28-2010 by Pompano]

durrelllrobert - 7-28-2010 at 10:23 AM

would have been a great route on June 3 when pics were taken, but not today. the highway is virtually gone for the last 42 killometers approaching Tecate with detour after detour down through riverbeds, etc. took 1 hr 45 minutes to go throgh this stretch south bound :mad:

Pompano - 7-28-2010 at 05:35 PM

I agree, durrellrobert, but the main part of my photo story was to show the turns in the city of Tecate, not the open highway.

That part of Hwy 3 south of Tecate did take me 2hours in my pickup with boat..but still better than TJ for my money. The good thing is..it will all be a brand new highway ..mostly 4-lane.. for my next trip. :D

rts551 - 7-28-2010 at 05:39 PM

Thanks Pompano. Would not want someone to try and use the second lane and get into trouble.

Skipjack Joe - 7-28-2010 at 06:32 PM

:P:P:P

It's OK to be wrong sometimes, David.
It doesn't make you anything less.
Don't sweat it.

David K - 7-28-2010 at 07:39 PM

Too funny... On Tuesdays in July... around 7:30 pm.... Locals park in the RIGHT LANE and walk across the MIDDLE lane through the concrete dividers, to the THIRD lane... for a ride home. We found the SAME conditions on July 20th... the SAME (right lane for parking).

If you go to the right lane when you reach the line (as we did on July 6th) and it doesn't move (because nobody is in the cars on that lane)... then you can figure out to go to the middle lane IF you want to come north... No directive needed.

Pompano - 7-28-2010 at 07:59 PM

Then the hell with it..I'm driving to Mazatlan and taking the damn ferry.

RnR - 7-28-2010 at 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
The good thing is..it will all be a brand new highway ..mostly 4-lane.. for my next trip. :D

Staying on the north side of the border for a few seasons? :lol:

DENNIS - 7-28-2010 at 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Then the hell with it..I'm driving to Mazatlan and taking the damn ferry.

Make him pay for some of the gas. :lol:

ElGato - 7-29-2010 at 01:51 PM

The U.S. inspection station Northbound shortly after getting on "94"

can be avoided if you cross when the Tecate border opens.

There is such a rush of traffic that they do not start making stops until
after the initial 6am traffic flow has passed.

But it is hard to get up so early. :light:

Nappo - 8-6-2010 at 10:30 PM

Interesting post - Tecate is simple and the signs are clear to the border - Even if you miss the "Gratis" sign at the intersection as one of our caravan did the roads force you to the proper entry. We always hope we get to the top of the hill to start the line - 30 minutes from there- The left lane is for trucks - maybe I've been lucky to be in line where everyone has a bit of common sense, as I've never seen cutters.Years ago it was a huge issue when the border winded thru the streets before the new crossing and I did see police take people out of line - I guess if someone came down the left lane and was actually confused I'd let them in and chalk it up to Karma rather than rage...On Sundays, when the truck lane is closed there are 2 lanes. Take a deep breath and relax = that's what Baja is about - or go to TJ and get your BP up!

Pompano's report

wandamott - 8-17-2010 at 07:31 PM

I think your write-up was great Roger and I totally agree that Tecate is the way to go. Hope you got my email.

David K - 1-6-2011 at 07:01 PM

Bump for Lee