BajaNomad

very quick trip report - mulege

capt. mike - 8-5-2010 at 05:53 AM

went to mulege wed. going home today. it is hot there. 24 hour stay, which was too long. hahahahahahaha
113 in phx today i can't wait.

capt. mike - 8-5-2010 at 05:56 AM

oh - on the ride down we enjoyed a concert by the bon ton toi band - the greatest blues show band in the world - you kansas city folks know what i am talking 'bout!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:spingrin::spingrin::spingrin::spingrin:

gonna get hotter

BajaDanD - 8-5-2010 at 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
went to mulege wed. going home today. it is hot there. 24 hour stay, which was too long. hahahahahahaha
113 in phx today i can't wait.

Arnt you moving to Havasu

Udo - 8-5-2010 at 06:12 PM

Any pictures, Mike?:bounce:

Bob H - 8-5-2010 at 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

Mike.. photos? Jungle Jim's...... etc. Come'on
Bob H

Pompano - 8-5-2010 at 08:04 PM

August 5th, 2009.
Mulege was hotter than the Gates of Hell.

I texted with some survivors just an hour ago.

It is hotter this year.

Bob and Susan - 8-5-2010 at 09:28 PM

it wasn't all that hot...

you couldn't even fry an egg:o:o

egg2.jpg - 45kB

akmaxx - 8-5-2010 at 10:54 PM

You didn't butter the concrete, duh.:D

hahahahaah pictures......don' get me started..

capt. mike - 8-6-2010 at 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

Mike.. photos? Jungle Jim's...... etc. Come'on
Bob H

unlike a few here who like to take and post pix of the same areas time after time - i just don't. JJs and other places here have been covered ad nauseum. I did go there to rub with some locals who stayed the summer and are BRAVING the insane heat....and we quaffed copious ice cold frosty bevs, the only thing fueling me until dinner which was lobster and prime filet all you could eat...un real!
departed at 8:30 mulege time and we were putting the time machine in her PHX hangar by 11:30. And then my charges were schlepped by me ground pounding to Sky Harbor to catch their afternoon connection to Denver.

yes i am moving to LHC after labor day but just for M-F then home every weekend. i have hooked up with at least one nomad Bill who lives there so i'll have that going for hahahaha. probably a drinking partner. :biggrin::biggrin:

no trips to SOC till october. but we'll hit Campo Lorenzo late August for pacific fun at Old Mill. we plan to drive an SUV up to the observatory, never done that.
will there be pix?? maybe. will there be a report? i dunno - it could be that we have to protect the innocent and disavow any knowledge of the mission.....hahaha.:lol::light:

courtesy Nick

capt. mike - 8-6-2010 at 01:40 PM

mid afternoon landing.

_DSC0249 (Small).JPG - 40kB

toneart - 8-6-2010 at 02:58 PM

Mike,

Where is LHC? I Googled it and came up with: a Large Hadron Collider; a black hole and a rehab hospital. :o:o:?:

capt. mike - 8-6-2010 at 04:34 PM

lake havasu city AZ home of the REAL london bridge actually dismantled from london shipped to AZ and erected in the desert..... what a tourist thingie!! hahahahahah..........

Bob H - 8-6-2010 at 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Mike,

Where is LHC? I Googled it and came up with: a Large Hadron Collider; a black hole and a rehab hospital. :o:o:?:

That is hilarious! :lol:

toneart - 8-6-2010 at 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Mike,

That is hilarious! :lol:

I was hesitant to ask. I thought maybe some Nomad was doing an intervention. Didn't think he would fly to one of those places voluntarily. :o:no::lol:

Maybe Beefeaters (gin) came over with the bridge. :tumble::?:

Trueheart - 8-7-2010 at 02:20 PM

Mike, that is a gorgeous plane! You keep it nice. Steve

capt. mike - 8-8-2010 at 06:08 AM

thx Steve.
hop aboard sometime and i'll get you hooked on time travel.
today is wash day, i never leave the salty dust on her sensitive exposed parts more than a few days once home from playing in the dirt.

Trueheart - 8-9-2010 at 08:50 PM

Mike:

We'll take that under consideration. We travel to Punta Chivato, and since we need a vehicle while there, we drive #1 for now. We're getting used to that aspect of Baja (driving) and loving the experience. More and more, we are seeing ourselves drifting to PC for longer periods of time each year. At some point, we hope and are planning to build a small casita, and this may not be too far off. When it gets to that point, I would love to have a "quick" alternative way to get down to PC/Mulege. By then, we will figure out how to have a local vehicle, so flying down would make good sense.

I notice how meticulous you are with your plane. That same care and concern flows over to how you fly, which is critically important. I'm betting that you are a cautious, accomplished aviator. I've flown with a few before. Got some great stories for later.

In the meantime, you seem to be doing all the right things.

Good luck to you in your endeavors, and our paths will cross sometime in the not too distant future.

Cheers,

Steve

capt. mike - 8-10-2010 at 04:51 AM

ok, looking forward to that.
there is a nice place for sale there now. you ought to check it out - prices are falling big time - buy cheaper than build new.
if you ever want to position a ground rig there just take it one way and i'll fly you out.

flying is my avocation, a break from the grind of my other vocations as well as a business tool used in them - and dually used to take an occasional vacation!
i do take it very seriously - and properly respected an aeroplane offers incredible utility and economy - disrespected and it can kill you and yours before you ever knew what happened.
i have survived 32 years and over 3000 hours in small planes - i plan to continue this love affair into my 80s. each time i land i take a minute to consider - what have a learned on this flight? and how can i apply that to the next time? never stop learning.

motoged - 8-11-2010 at 12:40 PM

"It wasn't me, It was the Liquor"- Mr. Leahy

Mike,
You have even more of my respect now that I see you consider the opinions coming from The Trailer Park Boys as wisdom !!:lol:

Bubbles, I believe, is the Greek Chorus of that group :light::saint:

As you know, he could have been an astronaut if it weren't for his eyes...

capt. mike - 8-11-2010 at 01:34 PM

hahahahaah!!!!!!!!! right on Ged!

well, i gotta go chip some hash from my drive way and get ready for happy hour.
love the black afghani...:saint::lol::lol:
do you think those eye props give him a headache, or his real Rx??

motoged - 8-11-2010 at 04:49 PM

Mike,
I also wondered about those glasses.... I dunno.:?:

As for the black Afghani....it's so hard to find these days....and not because the war there is denting their production.

My friends in the Armed Forces there (Canadian forces) report a great number of huge fields of marijuana and poppies on their patrols.

But, hey, if you find it on the driveway, I can only assume a good homeowner wants to keep the driveway clean:light::lol::saint:

Stand by for the prohibitionist rant:cool:

capt. mike - 8-12-2010 at 05:37 AM

when i worked in Munich in 1972 i found that Germany imported all their menial workers from Turkey - kind of their version of our providing jobs for LEGAL mexican immigrants, but most if not all were "jack" Moslems. what's a jack moslem?? well think of a jack mormon. :saint::saint:

so those guys drank etc despite prohibition of the Koran's islamic law.
end result was the turks were bringing in tons of hash which you could (not me of course...) buy in the Schwabbing section of town where the universitat was. We drank a lot of Uzo too. Turks turned me on to it.

motoged - 8-12-2010 at 09:52 AM

Mike,
Ouzo (Greek) and black hash.....:O....get any work done?

:biggrin:

capt. mike - 8-12-2010 at 02:59 PM

no....i was in the kitchen all the time goofing off with the turks!!
in TJ now. nice WX!! cool breezy. got seafood buffet tonite.

hahahahaha...LA Cetto coming soon.

toneart - 8-12-2010 at 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
"It wasn't me, It was the Liquor"- Mr. Leahy

Mike,
You have even more of my respect now that I see you consider the opinions coming from The Trailer Park Boys as wisdom !!:lol:

Bubbles, I believe, is the Greek Chorus of that group :light::saint:

As you know, he could have been an astronaut if it weren't for his eyes...

:lol::lol::lol: Here's another one: The Trailer Park Troubadors

Living and Writing Trailercana

Antsy McClain is quintessential Americana, but not in the musical genre kind of way. Oh no, McClain is Americana in the reared-in-a-trailer-park-by-a-truck-driving-father and Avon-selling-mother kind of way. Like a surreal Norman Rockwell painting come to life, McClain is the embodiment of the small-town, blue-collar life he experienced growing up in a little Kentucky trailer park called Pine View Heights. The characters and characteristics he witnessed in Pine View Heights made an indelible impression on the young artist in training. He grew into a first-rate songwriter, incredible visual artist and insightful humorist. He was also hit with a touch of the mad genius...

http://www.unhitched.com/

Ken Bondy - 8-12-2010 at 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
flying is my avocation, a break from the grind of my other vocations as well as a business tool used in them - and dually used to take an occasional vacation!
i do take it very seriously - and properly respected an aeroplane offers incredible utility and economy - disrespected and it can kill you and yours before you ever knew what happened.
i have survived 32 years and over 3000 hours in small planes - i plan to continue this love affair into my 80s. each time i land i take a minute to consider - what have a learned on this flight? and how can i apply that to the next time? never stop learning.

Mike that was brilliant. It brought back everything I love about flying. Thank you, ++Ken++

capt. mike - 8-13-2010 at 07:02 PM

thx let's plan a trip ken one day. get your juices flowing again.