BajaNomad

Shocks for 95 Jeep Cherokee?

heike - 8-7-2010 at 08:18 AM

Hello Everyone,
I am in the market to purchase new shocks for my 95 Jeep Cherokee I have down in Baja Sur. Can anyone give me some suggestions on what to buy? We drive mostly on the sandy bumpy roads to and from town, so looking for something with good suspension
Thanks

woody with a view - 8-7-2010 at 09:12 AM

google turned up $18 each at rockauto.com

why go for offroad shocks? get stock and don't worry about it.

David K - 8-7-2010 at 09:45 AM

If stock Jeep shocks were so good, why would he want to replace them?

Get BILSTEIN gas shocks... built for the Baja, and are stock on Toyotas! 5100s are very reasonable and will feel great.

Want to spend more ? FOX or KING shocks!

Packoderm - 8-7-2010 at 10:30 AM

Or save money and still get good performance with KYB Gas-A-Just for around $40.00 per shock. http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/Susptabl.jsp?autoMake=Jee...

mtgoat666 - 8-7-2010 at 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by heike
Hello Everyone,
I am in the market to purchase new shocks for my 95 Jeep Cherokee I have down in Baja Sur. Can anyone give me some suggestions on what to buy? We drive mostly on the sandy bumpy roads to and from town, so looking for something with good suspension
Thanks

stock work fine for unpaved roads.

woody with a view - 8-7-2010 at 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
If stock Jeep shocks were so good, why would he want to replace them?

Get BILSTEIN gas shocks... built for the Baja, and are stock on Toyotas! 5100s are very reasonable and will feel great.

Want to spend more ? FOX or KING shocks!

i dunno, 15 year old rig..... a few dusty roads like they said and why spend $350 + installation when a new set of stock shocks might outlive the rest of the rig.:light:

David K - 8-7-2010 at 04:45 PM

That is true... it IS a Jeep the shocks are for!!!:yes::o:lol:

Barry A. - 8-7-2010 at 04:54 PM

My experience------------proper aftermarket shocks make all the difference in the world in ride and handling characteristics on washboard and rocky dirt roads--------WELL WORTH the extra money, in my opinion, and can rapidly become a safety situation.

Normally, stock-shocks are simply not up to the task, and blow out fast in the dirt-------you may not even realize they are blown unless you inspect them, or are sensitive to your rig's handling. With any speed, they really come into their own------if you just plod along then not so much.

Some vehicles now come from the factory with excellent shocks, tho (like the Nissan X-terra "off road" model, some Toyota trucks and SUV's, etc. )

Bilstein, KYB's, great shocks, and not to much dinero---I have both on my vehicles.

Barry

David K - 8-7-2010 at 05:36 PM

Also, good shocks will PRESERVE the dirt roads much better.... washboard roads are caused by BAD SHOCKS allowing the tire to 'hop'!

wessongroup - 8-7-2010 at 05:57 PM

Some really good advice... and, thanks for all the "really time" stuff.. man it really does help if you don't get out too much.. like the pictures of you guys and gals rigs and where you go down in the Baja... :):)

woody with a view - 8-8-2010 at 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
Some really good advice... and, thanks for all the "really time" stuff.. man it really does help if you don't get out too much.. like the pictures of you guys and gals rigs and where you go down in the Baja... :):)

like this? Bilstiens in action....

[Edited on 8-8-2010 by woody with a view]

100_6469.jpg - 43kB

woody with a view - 8-8-2010 at 05:46 AM

have a nice day!

100_5927.jpg - 44kB

chippy - 8-8-2010 at 07:05 AM

KYB Monomax. They are very good shocks and not much $$$$$$.

heike - 8-8-2010 at 07:33 AM

Thanks guys! This has been helpful........... love the last post too!

dtutko1 - 8-8-2010 at 09:59 AM

What a timely post for me. I have a 96 cherokee that I plan on bringing down and leave in Baja. I want to replace shocks and tires b4 I bring it down. I now know the shocks. What tires?
Thanks

wessongroup - 8-8-2010 at 02:09 PM

thanks woody... exactly.. and I got the KYB's as they came with a life time warranty.. and Dianat had said no questions asked.. on replacement.. figured can't go wrong.. think most all shocks are pretty darn good today.. I'm sure most all will out last me... and got them from "rockauto" such a deal.. $163 including shipping.. plus $20 dollars install in Primo Tapia... and they let me smoke my cigar in there shop area, plus got their "office chair" out for me.. and told me they just loved the smell of my cigar... now when the last time that happened in the states... love to be able to watch the guys work...

I'm not planning going any where you guys go.. but... needed a set of shocks and did not want to spend a whole lot of money.. and from the input on this site was able to get some really good information on what works down here..

So far.. they have really made the ride a lot nicer, plus all new "strikers" on the doors and tail gate.. and a coat of Quitecoat has made this old Bronco pretty smooth and much, much quieter .. got a used Eclipse CD 3000 off ebay for $20 bucks and now have "sound" too.. pretty cool.. just wish I could get out in it more... like today... it is just beautiful out... what a nice day...

All the doors and windows open... what a great day...