BajaNomad

Desolation Road, Bob Dylan. He Predicted All of This

Gypsy Jan - 8-9-2010 at 04:07 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR-nPnxrhJU

mtgoat666 - 8-9-2010 at 04:20 PM

bob dylan is the greatest poet ever,... but also unintelligible on bootleg recordings,... and you managed to find one of the more unintelligible bootlegs :lol::lol:

Oh Well, I Don't Claim to Be a Music Critic

Gypsy Jan - 8-9-2010 at 04:33 PM

My dogs like this version, what do I know?

Bajahowodd - 8-9-2010 at 04:40 PM

His kid, Jakob, is much more articulate, and still carries the flame.

I spent much of my wasted youth on the streets of Greenwich Village. Over time, I managed to get my own photo in the NY Post flipping the bird, as well as having the good fortune to have met Bob Dylan, Peter Paul and Mary, Woody Allen and Dave Van Ronk (Go Google that!) Sadly, just recently a founding member, drummer and songwriter for the group "The Fugs", Tuli Kupferberg, passed. The Fugs were a vociferous anti-war bunch. One of it's members owned and ran a bookstore in the village for decades. All that said, among other compositions, Tuli Kupferberg wrote "Morning, Morning" a beautiful song recorded by many, but perhaps known best by the version by Ritchie Havens.

BD

tehag - 8-9-2010 at 04:49 PM

I thought it was Desolation Row.

DENNIS - 8-9-2010 at 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
bob dylan is the greatest poet ever,...

Based on what?
I happen to think that Mary Oliver is far more accesible, readable and enjoyable.

castaway$ - 8-9-2010 at 06:44 PM

Dislike me if you will but I never did like Bob Dylan. His poetic ability- mediocre at best, His ability to play instruments- again mediocre, and his singing- whoa my dogs got one up on him! And yes I am a child of the late 60's early seventies.

Dylan Dope

MrBillM - 8-9-2010 at 06:59 PM

Some good (even great) stuff. Lousy Voice.

Back in the 60s, the people I met who found Dylan profound were usually on Drugs.

Certainly not in the same league as Johnny Mercer.

DENNIS - 8-9-2010 at 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by castaway$
Dislike me if you will but I never did like Bob Dylan. His poetic ability- mediocre at best, His ability to play instruments- again mediocre, and his singing- whoa my dogs got one up on him! And yes I am a child of the late 60's early seventies.

This is pretty good poetry.....especially for the time:

Once upon a time you dressed so fine
You threw the bums a dime in your prime, didn't you ?
People'd call, say, "Beware doll, you're bound to fall"
You thought they were all kiddin' you
You used to laugh about
Everybody that was hangin' out
Now you don't talk so loud
Now you don't seem so proud
About having to be scrounging for your next meal.

How does it feel
How does it feel
To be without a home
Like a complete unknown
Like a rolling stone ?

You've gone to the finest school all right, Miss Lonely
But you know you only used to get juiced in it
And nobody has ever taught you how to live on the street
And now you find out you're gonna have to get used to it
You said you'd never compromise
With the mystery tramp, but now you realize
He's not selling any alibis
As you stare into the vacuum of his eyes
And say do you want to make a deal?

How does it feel
How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
Like a complete unknown
Like a rolling stone ?
You never turned around to see the frowns on the jugglers and the clowns
When they all come down and did tricks for you
You never understood that it ain't no good
You shouldn't let other people get your kicks for you
You used to ride on the chrome horse with your diplomat
Who carried on his shoulder a Siamese cat
Ain't it hard when you discover that
He really wasn't where it's at
After he took from you everything he could steal.

How does it feel
How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
Like a complete unknown
Like a rolling stone ?

Princess on the steeple and all the pretty people
They're drinkin', thinkin' that they got it made
Exchanging all precious gifts
But you'd better take your diamond ring, you'd better pawn it babe
You used to be so amused
At Napoleon in rags and the language that he used
Go to him now, he calls you, you can't refuse
When you got nothing, you got nothing to lose
You're invisible now, you got no secrets to conceal.

How does it feel
How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
Like a complete unknown
Like a rolling stone ?

[Edited on 8-10-2010 by DENNIS]

Hoola, Yes, People Still Read

Gypsy Jan - 8-9-2010 at 07:18 PM

Thanks for your passion.

Your friend, GJ

In the Same Vein

Skipjack Joe - 8-9-2010 at 07:29 PM

His songs seemed bitter at times but I liked them anyway.

Go ’way from my window
Leave at your own chosen speed
I’m not the one you want, babe
I’m not the one you need
You say you’re lookin’ for someone
Never weak but always strong
To protect you an’ defend you
Whether you are right or wrong
Someone to open each and every door
But it ain’t me, babe
No, no, no, it ain’t me, babe
It ain’t me you’re lookin’ for, babe

Go lightly from the ledge, babe
Go lightly on the ground
I’m not the one you want, babe
I will only let you down
You say you’re lookin’ for someone
Who will promise never to part
Someone to close his eyes for you
Someone to close his heart
Someone who will die for you an’ more
But it ain’t me, babe

Go melt back into the night, babe
Everything inside is made of stone
There’s nothing in here moving
An’ anyway I’m not alone
You say you’re lookin' for someone
Who’ll pick you up each time you fall
To gather flowers constantly
An’ to come each time you call
A lover for your life an’ nothing more
But it ain’t me, babe

His Songs Are Pure Poetry

Gypsy Jan - 8-9-2010 at 07:41 PM

And after all the years, they still bring tears.

Love me, hate me I am who I am, Kisses and Hugs, Gypsy Jan

acadist - 8-9-2010 at 08:05 PM

I love all those, and more. My favorite is Tangled Up In Blue, but even though I've sang it a thousand times I still could not write the whole thing down.

acadist - 8-9-2010 at 08:07 PM

By the way, he was the ORIGINAL rapper

MsTerieus - 8-9-2010 at 11:00 PM

Bob Dylan was a GENIUS! :yes:

wessongroup - 8-9-2010 at 11:17 PM

Still listen to Highway 61 ....... and a few others too... it just works for him... some had prettier voices.. could play better, looked better.. any number of things.. but there is only one Bob Dylan and he made it work ... take him or leave him..

plus anyone who can come up with this:

Oh God said to Abraham, “Kill me a son”
Abe says, “Man, you must be puttin’ me on”
God say, “No.” Abe say, “What?”
God say, “You can do what you want Abe, but
The next time you see me comin’ you better run”
Well Abe says, “Where do you want this killin’ done?”
God says, “Out on Highway 61

Here Is A Much Better Version

Gypsy Jan - 8-9-2010 at 11:44 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG0WFdcCKFQ&feature=relat...

Thanks for listening, Gypsy Jan

irenemm - 8-10-2010 at 12:07 AM

wow
thanks for the memories.
great stuff.

Do You Find It Hard To Speak the Truth?

Gypsy Jan - 8-10-2010 at 12:43 AM

Does your voice fail you when you try to get the words out? Does your throat get hard and dry?

How come such a druggie is still around? How can he sing and play the guitar for more than twenty minutes by himself without any kind of technical support?

And what about the words? You can't fake poetry.

Incoherent maybe, but still standing.

Bajahowodd - 8-10-2010 at 10:31 AM

He continues to do fine work. Some of his more recent albums have been excellent. From Time Out of Mind, this a a particular favorite of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZgBhyU4IvQ

MitchMan - 8-10-2010 at 12:12 PM

Bob Dylan was/is superb. People give way too much sway to technical voice quality.

What makes a singer interesting/enjoyable to listen to is the perceived personality/character behind the person and the unique sound/character of the actual voice quality itself that resonates with the particular melody of a song. That's why Mick Jagger, Louis Armstrong, Bob Dylan, Barry McGuire, Jimmy Hendrix have been great to listen to. They have such a unique sound. It's not opera. Doesn't have to be. Wouldn't work if it was. I think the best song interpreter of all times is Frank Sinatra. He had a decent voice, but not perfect. And no one could sing the vast number of songs that became his own once he performed it.

Voice quality doesn't have to good, it has to be right.

BD poetry

tehag - 8-10-2010 at 01:06 PM

Hi lyrics (poetry) have captivated me since I first heard Sad Eyed Lady some 45 or so years back. His ability to distill prose to its essence (poetry) is still just fine by me. Here is a non-musical tribute by BD to his idol Woody Guthrie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVbr0y8zp68&feature=relat...

Profound Prose

MrBillM - 8-10-2010 at 01:24 PM

I'd be willing to bet that 90 % + of those who obsess over the profound words of BD would have failed a Drug Test at some time during their lives.

monoloco - 8-10-2010 at 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
I'd be willing to bet that 90 % + of those who obsess over the profound words of BD would have failed a Drug Test at some time during their lives.
Yeah, and I bet that 90% of those who listen to Frank Sinatra would have failed a breathalyzer at sometime in their lives. So what?

Sinatra

MrBillM - 8-10-2010 at 03:28 PM

Was highly over-rated as a singer.

But, I've heard NOBODY ever say that he was a Philosopher.

Philanderer, yes. Philosopher, No !

Although he did echo the thoughts of many of us when he sang "Give me five minutes more".

Bajahowodd - 8-10-2010 at 04:13 PM

Not sure about your hang up on drugs, Mr. Bile. It appears to be your primary talking point on this thread. Perhaps you might consider reading up a bit more about the pervasive use of drugs in our society. And maybe do more research to determine that, for instance, marijuana use does not imply that harder drugs will ensue. Want to be smug. Fine. But, as monoloco appeared to be subtle about it, it's highly likely that you and Mr. Beam, and Mr. Cuervo have a long standing relationship.

DENNIS - 8-10-2010 at 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
marijuana use does not imply that harder drugs will ensue.

Oh yeah??? Here's proof, in it's entireity, that you're wrong.
Now...go roll a bag full of doobs, load up the cooler, sit back and learn the real truth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZdhcNegZgU

toneart - 8-10-2010 at 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Oh yeah??? Here's proof, in it's entireity, that you're wrong.
Now...go roll a bag full of doobs, load up the cooler, sit back and learn the real truth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZdhcNegZgU

:lol::lol::lol:

You, Uncle (Mr) Bill and I were all influenced by this great film that exposed that demon dope. We all marched down and handed this evidence to J.Edgar Hoover. We got my sister Mary Jane busted. What a righteous thing! That skank had it coming.

After that, the world was convinced. It got those hip Bohemians all hooked on Heroin, made them write and sing bad songs. Meanwhile, the good, moral folks like us retreated to the strains of Lawrence Welk. A-one, and a-two. Ahhhh, there now! :yawn::barf::lol::lol::lol::cool:

Edited to identify the film: Reefer Madness (for those that didn't open Dennis' link).

[Edited on 8-11-2010 by toneart]

Skipjack Joe - 8-10-2010 at 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
That's why Mick Jagger, Louis Armstrong, Bob Dylan, Barry McGuire, Jimmy Hendrix have been great to listen to. They have such a unique sound.

And don't forget Rex Harrison.

He practically talked his way through My Fair Lady. Hell, the man couldn't sing at all. But great vocalization would have destroyed his part and his songs.

"Well after all, Pickering, I'm an ordinary man,
Who desires nothing more than an ordinary chance,
to live exactly as he likes, and do precisely what he wants...
An average man am I, of no eccentric whim,
Who likes to live his life, free of strife,
doing whatever he thinks is best, for him,
Well... just an ordinary man..."

About vocalization, though... Peter Paul and Mary doing Dylan just doesn't seem right. It's no longer Dylan. It's Peter Paul and Mary. Same is true of them doing Arlo Guthrie.

I guess songs are like people.
You don't have to be good looking to be attractive.

wessongroup - 8-10-2010 at 07:40 PM

Hey MrBillM... have a number of old "blue eyes" too... as his voice is (thanks to digital always with us) just "unbelievable"... my folks listened to the big bands.. of WWII, I grew up on them.. was a war baby...

Have found that Mr. Sinatra is in a totally differnt league on the vocals.. very nice listening too... and ..... "words" .... some of his songs aren't too bad either...

How about "the lady is a tramp"... "fly me to the moon", "new york new york" and many others...

The guy could knock them out of the park every time...

Now back to Bob... and an "electric" like a "Rolling Stone".... major change in music scene with that one...

I suppose "rap" is just an evolution of the "folk" song... just a bit more drums.. and words with are allowed to be used, which would have never made it in the 30's to somewhere into the late 80's and early 90's when things started heating up on the "words.. or something like that...

Skipjack Joe - 8-10-2010 at 07:44 PM

Quote:

What makes a singer interesting/enjoyable to listen to is the perceived personality/character behind the person and the unique sound/character of the actual voice quality itself that resonates with the particular melody of a song.

I couldn't agree more. :lol::lol:

Blue Eyes

MrBillM - 8-10-2010 at 08:21 PM

Everybody's got an opinion and it's worth what it cost to express it.

I, too, have quite a few Sinatra albums and I enjoy them. Good stylist. Dick Haymes had a better voice.

While Sinatra had some great hits, he also had "Mama Will Bark" and a lot in between. It's worth remembering that his career had cratered before he did "From Here to Eternity" which established him as a dramatic star and, ironically, revived his singing career at a time when his voice was going.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Film ? I've never seen a film about demon Marijuana or any other drug. I don't have to do any reading about drugs. Living at the beach in the 60s-70s I saw enough people (friends included) who used various illegal drugs. I developed a dislike for the Drug and Hippie culture. Not for me then and not after.

But, then, I thought that the good guys at Kent State were the National Guard. Still do. Too bad they didn't cull more from the herd that day.

Odd and others make my point when they get defensive about drugs. No doubt, everyone of them were users.

CaboMagic - 8-10-2010 at 08:48 PM

Thank you Gypsy Jan for this thread ... Hugs & Fishes!

Hmm...

Dave - 8-10-2010 at 09:14 PM

Quote:

I wonder how many who haven't tried marijuana graduated to harder drugs?

redhilltown - 8-10-2010 at 11:09 PM

As to the incoherent singing cracks that is just gibberish from those who haven't seen him live in the ten years (and of course I get the fact they don't WANT to see or hear him live!). You'll slam me for this but his voice and his phrasings now sing up, around, through, after, back again the chord changes just like ol blue eyes used to do (oh man, this will drive some of ya ballistic). The great singers have a different beat in their heads...and that usually is not the 4/4 or 3/4 time the public has in THEIR heads. He is a GREAT singer. The naysayers are the same ones who would have dissed Symphonie Fantastic in the early 1800s cause it was too "harsh" or the Rite of Spring cause it was too "wild". People want their arts tied up in neat little boxes with pretty bows and ribbons and art isn't always pretty or accessible. The bottom line is that he has written dozens and dozens of songs that any songwriter would call ONE of them a good career.

The Gull - 8-11-2010 at 08:01 AM

I have scouring a map of Baja for hours, I can't find Desolation Road or Desolation Row anywhere. Is it Sur or Norte?

MsTerieus - 8-11-2010 at 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by redhilltown
As to the incoherent singing cracks that is just gibberish from those who haven't seen him live in the ten years (and of course I get the fact they don't WANT to see or hear him live!). You'll slam me for this but his voice and his phrasings now sing up, around, through, after, back again the chord changes just like ol blue eyes used to do (oh man, this will drive some of ya ballistic). The great singers have a different beat in their heads...and that usually is not the 4/4 or 3/4 time the public has in THEIR heads. He is a GREAT singer. The naysayers are the same ones who would have dissed Symphonie Fantastic in the early 1800s cause it was too "harsh" or the Rite of Spring cause it was too "wild". People want their arts tied up in neat little boxes with pretty bows and ribbons and art isn't always pretty or accessible. The bottom line is that he has written dozens and dozens of songs that any songwriter would call ONE of them a good career.

You have a point. I don't know that I'd call him "great," but his voice definitely improved over time. (Maybe he took singing lessons.) Listen to him on "Lay Lady Lay." His voice is really quite melodic, and not bad, on that one.

Please Keep Trying

Bajahowodd - 8-11-2010 at 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gull
I have scouring a map of Baja for hours, I can't find Desolation Road or Desolation Row anywhere. Is it Sur or Norte?

And report back!:lol::lol:

You're either not smoking the right stuff...

Dave - 8-11-2010 at 01:45 PM

Quote:

Or, enough of it. ;D

MitchMan - 8-11-2010 at 03:19 PM

Skipjack, couldn't agree with you more on Rex Harrison. He talked his way through all the songs in My Fair Lady --- and it worked. Mick Jagger talks his way through virtually all his songs. I wouldn't have it any other way. Remember Satisfaction, Sympathy For The Devil, Little Red Rooster, Midnight Rambler. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Can you imagine what it would sound like if John Gary, Johnny Mathis, or Pavarotti did those songs -- and they have great voices?

mtgoat666 - 8-11-2010 at 03:26 PM

Quote:

MrBileM:
do you think many of us would look to you for opinions on miusic? :lol:

Bajahowodd - 8-11-2010 at 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:

I wonder how many who haven't tried marijuana graduated to harder drugs?

As in, how many who haven't had a beer ended up a 5th of vodka a day Alky?

Statistics support the notion that decriminalizing or legalizing pot does not lead to a statistically significant increase in pot use, let alone hard drug use. There's a rather long standing stable percentage of the populace that are addictive personalities. Their choice of intoxicants is somewhat immaterial. Abusers will abuse.

Bajahowodd - 8-11-2010 at 03:27 PM

Quote:
Skipjack, couldn't agree with you more on Rex Harrison. He talked his way through all the songs in My Fair Lady --- and it worked. Mick Jagger talks his way through virtually all his songs. I wouldn't have it any other way. Remember Satisfaction, Sympathy For The Devil, Little Red Rooster, Midnight Rambler. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Can you imagine what it would sound like if John Gary, Johnny Mathis, or Pavarotti did those songs -- and they have great voices?

Is Pavarotti gay?:lol::lol:

mtgoat666 - 8-11-2010 at 03:33 PM

Quote:

perhaps your map is obscured by bird droppings :lol:

i have never seen a seagull read a map :lol:

MitchMan - 8-11-2010 at 03:38 PM

Was John Gary gay?

Mr Tambourine Man

Dave - 8-11-2010 at 05:11 PM

Quote:

Here's one of my favorite renditions...

Take a hit of acid, smoke a joint and enjoy.

The BEST Bobbing

MrBillM - 8-11-2010 at 06:56 PM

At least, the best that I can relate to:

"Well, I took me a woman late last night
I's three-fourths drunk she looked all right
'Til she started peelin' off her onion gook
She took off her wig, said, "How do I look" ?
I's high flyin', bare naked ...Out the window".

Except the "Out the Window". They were never that bad.

More profound was the philosopher Paul Simon when he said:

"If you took all the girls I knew When I was single
And brought them all together for one night I know
they’d never match my sweet imagination. Everything
looks worse in black and white".

castaway$ - 8-11-2010 at 07:22 PM

Still don't like Bob Dylan, respect his run in the music world but just don't dig his style. Not a big fan of the Grateful Dead either or the Stones, yet I am a rocker.

Skipjack Joe - 8-11-2010 at 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

How does it feel
How does it feel
To be without a home
Like a complete unknown
Like a rolling stone ?

You've gone to the finest school all right, Miss Lonely
But you know you only used to get juiced in it
And nobody has ever taught you how to live on the street
And now you find out you're gonna have to get used to it
You said you'd never compromise
etc, etc

This song sounds like a rant. And he sings it that way. Montoned, vengeful, bitter and angry. I can only listen to this stuff so long before I need to come up for air.

It's so different from your usual pop songs and so real. Who hasn't felt the pain of being jilted? You're in a world of hurt with no way out it seems. Nobody sings it so raw and honest as he does. Well, nobody is an exaggeration.

I'm sorry. If you don't like Dylan I suggest you listen to Andy Williams "Born Free" and compare.

[Edited on 8-12-2010 by Skipjack Joe]

DENNIS - 8-11-2010 at 07:58 PM

Dylan

his music

Dylan's message

Dylans time

It's all one

Understand it...or

Leave it alone

kaybaj - 8-11-2010 at 08:05 PM

:yawn:

DENNIS - 8-11-2010 at 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kaybaj
:yawn:

:fire::yawn:

elgatoloco - 8-11-2010 at 10:29 PM

When I am in Baja I love hearing some Dylan.

Early one morning the sun was shining
I was laying in bed
Wondering if she changed at all
If her was still red

Her folks they said our lives together
Sure was gonna be rough
They never did like momma's homemade dress
poppa's bankbook wasnt big enuf

I was standing on the side of the road
Rain fallin on my shoes
Heading out for the east coast
Lord knows I paid some dues gettin through

Tangled up in bluuuuuuuee..................

Nice thread GJ! :dudette:

motoged - 8-11-2010 at 11:00 PM

Quote:

.....and your point is.....?:?:

When is the last time you would have blown over .08????

redhilltown - 8-12-2010 at 12:17 AM

Agreed. Not sure what that point is. But I'll guarantee one thing: If you ask Paul Simon who is the greatest songwriter of the last 50 years he'd say Dylan hands down. Outside of himself of course :yes:

tripledigitken - 8-12-2010 at 12:31 AM

Dylan.......

Philosopher.....definitley not, and he would be the first to say it.

He is a great song writer and singer, but then I like Tom Waits too.

I remember the bruhaha when Dylan went electric. I have an album from 1966 (his first electric tour) and he was booed.

Anyone of you older San Diegans attend his 1964 concert at Peterson Gym at San Diego State?

Thanks GJ!

Ken

[Edited on 8-12-2010 by tripledigitken]

elgatoloco - 8-12-2010 at 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:

.....and your point is.....?:?:

When is the last time you would have blown over .08????

You should not question his motivation, besides he knows everything. Just ask him. :lol:

MsTerieus - 8-12-2010 at 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by redhilltown
Agreed. Not sure what that point is. But I'll guarantee one thing: If you ask Paul Simon who is the greatest songwriter of the last 50 years he'd say Dylan hands down. Outside of himself of course :yes:

He might even INCLUDE himself, and he would be right. Paul Simon is an excellent songwriter/singer/musician, but I'm not sure I'd call him a "philosopher."

MitchMan - 8-12-2010 at 11:35 AM

Many people were disappointed with BD because he wanted nothing to do with a leadership role in any of the movements going on in the 60's and 70's. It's always been my guess (and its just a guess) that he knew he didn't possess the knowledge base, education, intellectuallity or the required work ethic that an ultimately successful public leadership role would take. That's not immoral or even bad. Most people wouldn't possess such resources, cerainly not me.

BD was/is an artist and a darn good one. I loved his creativity, his melodies and songs and I love his voice -- really fits his songs well. He came along at a perfect time for his artistry. But, I have to keep reminding myself that he was not then and not now a political intellectual. He's a singer song writer and I love his stuff. That's it.

[Edited on 8-12-2010 by MitchMan]

toneart - 8-12-2010 at 12:25 PM

MitchMan,

I am enjoying your perspectives in this string. I think you "get" Dylan. :yes:

Dylan, the man scoffs at the idea of being a philosopher, and he will not/is incapable of taking on that role publicly. Dylan, the songwriter/singer is a philosopher/psychic.

As an artist, he is a medium. Universal messages pass through artist/mediums and they, themselves, could not tell you where their ideas came from. :light:

His concentration and artistry has always been the music. When artists evolve and change, i.e. when he went electric, the public usually resists. They don't like change. All Dylan really wanted to do was to improve as a singer.

In retrospect, his evolution has been good, and successful! It is not necessarily better...just different. I think the difference is; he changed from a poet to an improved singer; more melodic and musically more mature.

What he did in the beginning is great in its own right.That is still my favorite Dylan. It stands alone and apart, and really shouldn't be compared with his mid-career and later work. His early work embodies a whole era. It is representative of the 60s generation. Everybody relates to it.

For most, it conjures good memories...nostalgia, if you will. :bounce: For others, it represents a political, reactionary conservatism; an era to be reviled. :barf: They are stuck/frozen in that mindset. We, as much as they try to pigeon hole us as stereotypes, have moved on. :yes:

Me ? .08 ? Or More ?

MrBillM - 8-12-2010 at 06:39 PM

25 years. Maybe 30.

And, I don't know EVERYTHING.

I'm just more intelligent than D-F Lefties.

MsTerieus - 8-12-2010 at 10:25 PM

Quote:
25 years. Maybe 30.

This post alone proves otherwise.

Throwing my hat in the ring

Lee - 8-13-2010 at 07:44 AM

Never had a favorite song though some favorite albums stand out: Blonde on Blonde, Nashville Skyline, Bringing it all back home, Highway 61 Revisited, Infidels, Oh Mercy. Lost interest early 80s. 58 albums in about 50 years. He spoke for himself and some words ring true.

Love Minus Zero/No Limit

My love she speaks like silence
Without ideals or violence
She doesn’t have to say she’s faithful
Yet she’s true, like ice, like fire
People carry roses
Make promises by the hours
My love she laughs like the flowers
Valentines can’t buy her

In the dime stores and bus stations
People talk of situations
Read books, repeat quotations
Draw conclusions on the wall
Some speak of the future
My love she speaks softly
She knows there’s no success like failure
And that failure’s no success at all

The cloak and dagger dangles
Madams light the candles
In ceremonies of the horsemen
Even the pawn must hold a grudge
Statues made of matchsticks
Crumble into one another
My love winks, she does not bother
She knows too much to argue or to judge

The bridge at midnight trembles
The country doctor rambles
Bankers’ nieces seek perfection
Expecting all the gifts that wise men bring
The wind howls like a hammer
The night blows cold and rainy
My love she’s like some raven
At my window with a broken wing

Meaningful Thoughts.

MrBillM - 8-13-2010 at 09:03 AM

"Hot diggity, dog ziggity, boom"

Perry Como

Feeling nostalgic?

Skipjack Joe - 4-6-2011 at 01:30 PM

http://objflicks.com/TakeMeBackToTheSixties.htm

Cisco - 4-6-2011 at 03:20 PM

"But, then, I thought that the good guys at Kent State were the National Guard. Still do. Too bad they didn't cull more from the herd that day." MrBillM
Select Nomad

THAT IS THE MOST DESPICABLE STATEMENT I HAVE SEEN ON THIS FORUM!

You must be a terribly disillusioned and angry person.

Skipjack Joe - 4-6-2011 at 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cisco

THAT IS THE MOST DESPICABLE STATEMENT I HAVE SEEN ON THIS FORUM!

Psssssst. He actually likes to receive comments like that.

It's weird. Don't ask.

Marc - 4-6-2011 at 06:10 PM

Quote:
Some good (even great) stuff. Lousy Voice.

Back in the 60s, the people I met who found Dylan profound were usually on Drugs.

Certainly not in the same league as Johnny Mercer.

Mercer was one of the greatest song writers ever!!

Marc - 4-6-2011 at 06:15 PM

Quote:

It's Norte and used to be between Puertecitos and Gonzaga. Not on most maps.:lol::lol::lol:

Resurrecting an Old Post About Bob Dylan

GypsyJan - 12-12-2016 at 09:13 PM

It seems appropriate right now.

Like him or you are indifferent because he doesn't resonate.

His message of gratitude to the Nobel committee was truth, wisdom and class all the way

[Edited on 12-13-2016 by GypsyJan]

Nobel Nonsense

MrBillM - 12-13-2016 at 08:34 PM

My opinion of the prize is reaffirmed by the selection.

But, then I think the idea that Old Alfie had something to apologize for was absurd.

The "Guilt" (?) (driven by a woman, of course) over a magnificent invention that provided immeasurable benefit to the world led to the prize which has become (often) an expression in absurdity.

BajaTed - 12-14-2016 at 06:07 PM

I saw on NPR where Patty Smith went to receive the Nobel prize on Bob Dylan's behalf.
After she sang one of his songs the whole Nobel committee were crying their eyes out.:bounce:
IIRC, they were not all on board with his selection, they saw differently after hearing the prose and the voice in person when sung by a real pro.

Tearing Up

MrBillM - 12-14-2016 at 07:00 PM

Having seen (on the news) the old and gray Gal's performance, I wasn't moved, but In this age of ".......feelings, nothing more than feelings........", we (too) often see (supposedly) mature adults loosing their tender emotions and Blubbering over mostly nothing so a crying jag doesn't mean much.

redhilltown - 12-15-2016 at 12:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
Having seen (on the news) the old and gray Gal's performance, I wasn't moved, but In this age of ".......feelings, nothing more than feelings........", we (too) often see (supposedly) mature adults loosing their tender emotions and Blubbering over mostly nothing so a crying jag doesn't mean much.

Having read (on this board) of an old, sad, and bitter man's musings on feelings, I (supposedly) am inclined to not give a rat's jag as to his comments.

Sweetwater - 12-15-2016 at 10:55 AM

I was reminded of going to a Bob Dylan concert and having a tough time following the lyrics. Then I was reminded of going to a Lou Reed concert and watching him need a teleprompter to sing his songs. Then I was reminded of my feeble attempts at poetry as a teenager.

Thanks for the memories, this one is Lou.

"Adventurer"

You're an adventurer
you sail across the oceans
you climb the Himalayas
seeking truth and beauty as a natural state

You're a queen reborn
worshipped from above afar
some see you as an elixir
an elemental natural seeking perfect grace

In a catacomb
or cave of endless drawings
prehistoric or religious
your accomplishments prodigious
seeking out the perfect tone

Your language so clear
your voice perfectly turning
as in the city I sit yearning
blowing rings of smoke from thin cigars
or driving fast in foreign cars
to capture your remains, huh

You're an adventurer
a turban wet wrapped 'round your head
on the mountainside they predict your death
oh how you fooled them all

But subjects are a poor excuse
when what you really want's a muse
an inspirating knowledge
of what comes before

Ooohhh, speeds of light
the momentary flicker
of a candle in its wicker basket
smoking wax, facts

Did you find that superior knowledge
that eluded you in college
Did you find that super vortex
that could cause your cerebral cortex
ooohhh, to lose its grip

You're an adventurer
you were out looking for meaning
while the rest of us were steaming
in an inspirating
ah, urban pit

An adventurer
you enter as I'm dreaming
I wish I'd never wake up
Differentiating scheming from my one true love

You're an adventurer
you love the angles and the cherries
the height and width of levies
the natural bridge and tunnels of the human race

You're an adventurer
nothing seem to scare you
and if it does it won't dissuade you
you just will not think about it
you dismiss it and defocus
you redefine the locus of your time in space, race

As you move further from me
and though I understand the thinking
and have often done the same thing
I find parts of me gone

You're an adventurer
and though I'll surely miss you
and of course I'll survive without you
and maybe good will come of that

But at this point, ah
I anticipate some grieving
and although I know your leaving
is a necessary adjunct to what we both do

An adventurer
splitting up the atom
splitting up the once was
splitting up the essence of our star-crossed fate

None who meet you
do forget you, my adventurer
my adventurer, my adventurer-venturer
my adventuress

AKgringo - 12-15-2016 at 11:14 AM

Bob Dylan made quite a name for himself. Literally, he was born Robert Zimmerman, but changed his name to Dylan, in honor of the poet Dylan Thomas.

Barry A. - 12-15-2016 at 01:42 PM

I always loved Bob Dylan. I seldom understood what he was singing, and when I did I could not figure out what he was talking about. Still, he has that quality that is unique, and so nice to listen too.

------but then the "sound" is all that is important to me, and I almost never listen to the "words" of ANY song. :o

Strange Attractions

MrBillM - 12-15-2016 at 06:58 PM

While I've attended a fair number of Entertainer performances over the years and enjoyed (to various degrees) the likes of Ramsey Lewis, Wes Montgomery, Mose Allison, Joan Baez, Judy Collins, Arlo Guthrie, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Simon & Garfunkel, the Righteous Brothers and (more recently) Jimmy Buffett, I have never understood the "Fans" who turn those entertainers into objects of worship.

That said, "Cheeseburger in Paradise" IS a monumental philosophical expression which seems divinely inspired.

pacificobob - 12-15-2016 at 07:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MsTerieus  
Quote:
25 years. Maybe 30.

This post alone proves otherwise.

bingo!

mtgoat666 - 12-15-2016 at 08:14 PM

While I've attended a fair number of Entertainer performances over the years and enjoyed (to various degrees) the likes of Ramsey Lewis, Wes Montgomery, Mose Allison, Joan Baez, Judy Collins, Arlo Guthrie, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Simon & Garfunkel, the Righteous Brothers and (more recently) Jimmy Buffett, I have never understood the "Fans" who turn those entertainers into objects of worship.

That said, "Cheeseburger in Paradise" IS a monumental philosophical expression which seems divinely inspired.

Well, given that you live in yucca valley and your landscape design is "white trash bare dirt," your opinion fits to a t, a wife beater t -- wear it with pride.

Examining Goat Droppings .............

MrBillM - 12-16-2016 at 11:50 AM

.................Inevitably offends the senses.

It is worth noting that ALL opinions here are equally worthy.

That is, worth absolutely NOTHING more than the value the purveyor derives from their presentation.

And the LACK of value assigned to those who disagree.

IF one KNOWS that their assessment is correct, then (obviously), anyone who disagrees is WRONG.

It works for me.

ncampion - 12-16-2016 at 12:46 PM

Now this I'm in total agreement with, but I would include nearly all Jimmy Buffett songs as divinely inspired. And you can understand the words!!

NOTHING so Inspiring ?

MrBillM - 12-16-2016 at 03:38 PM

Than sailing (especially in the tropics) with Jimmy Buffett on the Cassette/ CD player.

My special affinity for "Cheeseburger" dates back to 1991.

After spending 10 days bare-boating in the BVIs and eating a variety of great meals aboard and on shore, we spent two additional days on Tortola.

Walking down the street in Roadtown, there was the Magnificent scent of Burgers cooking on the grill at a small place called "Cell 5".

After all those different (expensive) meals, THAT Hamburger (and French-Fries) was like HEAVEN.

motoged - 12-17-2016 at 09:36 AM

Are you still here?