BajaNomad

New shoes for David K

Ken Cooke - 8-11-2010 at 08:54 PM

Here are some recommendations for David K...I have been investigating and doing my research for you brother. :yes:

For the kind of travel you do, and the mix of light off-roading and high-speed Baja driving, I'm thinking a high-quality All-Terrain tire is what you should look into.

Here is my first pick for David...

Part Number: PCT560265
LT265/75R16, Pro Comp Xtreme All Terrain Radial
Load Range E
Max Load 3415
Tread Depth 18/32
Overall Diameter 31.6 Inches
Black SideWall
Sidewall Construction= Tri-Ply
40,000 Mile Tread Wear Warranty

Goodyear Duratrac

Bridgestone Revo

Dick Cepek Fun Country II

Those are my top 4 for David K. There are lots others, but just wondering what David K was thinking before he gets stuck halfway between "That Road" and Shell Beach.:lol:

[Edited on 8-12-2010 by Ken Cooke]

[Edited on 8-12-2010 by Ken Cooke]

Ken Cooke - 8-11-2010 at 09:12 PM

The Xtreme AT by ProComp is proven - my buddy Mike ran it in Johnson Valley before the Loan Co. came and took his Rubicon away.:(:no:

Here's another picture.:bounce:

TMW - 8-12-2010 at 07:58 AM

With a Tacoma bald works great. They don't need no stinking tread in Baja.

Udo - 8-12-2010 at 08:11 AM

David buys whatever is available at COSTCO. (As do I):?::bounce::?:

David K - 8-12-2010 at 08:18 AM

Actually,I am thinking about these...

Developed from off road racing... NEW!

bajabass - 8-12-2010 at 11:26 AM

I put 55k miles on a set of the Dueller Revos on a 2005 Tundra TRD 4x4. La Mision every weekend, all over Baja from Mulege to Cabo. On the beach at the East Cape, nasty roads, the beach dirt road from the East Cape to Cabo, 110 mph Vegas runs, they were great tires and still had good tread when I got the 09 Tundra! :barf:The BFG Rugged Trails that came stock on the new truck are crap! A few more months and a new set of P275/65/18 Revos go on! Before the move to La Paz!

bajabass - 8-12-2010 at 12:12 PM

I'll let you know when I get there. Hope so, but I won't need tires for quite a while. Put 4 new ones on the wife's car before she left. $ new on mine before I leave.

boe4fun - 8-12-2010 at 06:27 PM

I went to South Gate Highschool with Dick Cepek's son. He opened his first shop on the corner of California and Southern.

David K - 8-12-2010 at 06:40 PM

In a box somewhere, I may still have a Dick Cepek catalog from the early 1970's... They were great, full of 'Baja Proven' equipment, camping gear and tires... Armstrong Tires mostly... In 1976 a bought a set of Armstrong TRU TRACs for my Jeep from the Dick Cepek store in El Cajon. My dad had previously shopped at their main Souh Gate store.

Dave Deal did the art work for the catalog cover (was Cepek's logo)... It was a self image of Dave driving his Blazer. Deal was the creator of so many cartoon images used in automotive stuff... The Pixar film Cars featured many of Dave's creations. Jimmy Smith's book, as well.

bajabass - 8-12-2010 at 07:39 PM

The trick set-up was a set of the Jackman white 5 spoke steel wheels, with a set of the Armstrong tires! You were stylin'. :cool:

Ken Cooke - 8-12-2010 at 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Actually,I am thinking about these...

Developed from off road racing... NEW!

I'm curious to see how these work out for you. I don't want a new set of tires that whine at hwy speeds, nor provide a rough ride. My TrXus MTs are great, but they are tough to balance and become loud as they wear thin.

I will run these TrXus MTs another 12 months, and then I'll make my next purchase. Not sure exactly what they will be, yet. :?:

bajabass - 8-12-2010 at 09:23 PM

Those look like noisey tires brand new, let alone with some wear going on.

Barry A. - 8-12-2010 at 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabass
The trick set-up was a set of the Jackman white 5 spoke steel wheels, with a set of the Armstrong tires! You were stylin'. :cool:

Personally, I used TACOMA white spoke wheels with my Tru-tracs.
:lol:
Barry

David K - 8-13-2010 at 09:11 AM

Yah I remember Tacoma brand wheels!

Ken, highway noise is an issue and one of the reasons I won't buy the Cooper STT tires again... and I read reports on hwy. noise closely.

The new Generals look like the off road racing tire they make, but these are DOT modified for better wear and quiet highway sound.

They are just now being made available to tire dealers... until this month 4 Wheel Parts stores had an exclussive and did tons of magazine advertising.

My fall back 'perfect tire' will be either a TOYO Open Country AT or a COOPER Discoverer ATR... I have had both, both are quiet, work well in sand, had no flats, inexpensive, and got 35-40 K on them.

They just don't have that 'off road look and sizzle'...

comitan - 8-13-2010 at 10:22 AM

fishabductor I'm with you on BFG I'm now having to replace the set I have on my Astro AWD after 50,000 miles The treads are chewed up but some left, I'm having to replace them because of tread separation when they start you can feel a little bounce. I now have all new, hope the Astro lasts as long as the tires.

David K - 8-13-2010 at 10:38 AM

Quote:
Those look like noisey tires brand new, let alone with some wear going on.

Here is what General says:

Born from competition, this tire has been developed by the most skilled engineers and tested by the best off-road racers including Carl Renezeder and BJ Baldwin.

Features:
3-Ply Construction
Reactive Contour Technology
Race inspired sidewall design
Acoustic Modulation Sound Technology (AMST)
Patented Strake & Chamfer tread Pattern

Benefits:

Race proven 3-Ply construction provides driving confidence under the world's most extreme conditions
Even tread wear throughout the life of the tire
Multi-angled sidewall protectors help prevent punctures
Competition inspired red letters
Sound wave suppression that works to reduce road noise
Delivers deceptively high levels of traction in both mud and silt

comitan - 8-13-2010 at 11:07 AM

DK Can I sell you the Brooklyn Bridge, it cheap and an antique.

Ok now serious they do not look lioke they would have as good a traction as the BFG's.

[Edited on 8-13-2010 by comitan]

Barry A. - 8-13-2010 at 12:09 PM

Quote:
Yah I remember Tacoma brand wheels!

I bought my TACOMA wheels in 1976 for my 2x4 1969 Ford "Baja" Truck, down in El Centro--------that truck I still own, still has those wheels on it going strong, but now with Michilin tires, and is used off road in Owens Valley and kept at my son's place there in Independence where it is his utility vehicle. Those TACOMA wheels are indestructable!

Barry

TMW - 8-13-2010 at 03:50 PM

Features:
"3-Ply Construction"

BFG TA KOs have 6 ply tread and 3 ply sidewalls.

"Reactive Contour Technology"

Jibber jabish to make it sound good.

"Race inspired sidewall design"

That is probably true, just more rubber on the outside.

"Acoustic Modulation Sound Technology (AMST)"

They used a mic setup to listen to road noise and adjusted the trend cut to reduce the sound below the compitition.

"Patented Strake & Chamfer tread Pattern"

I think all the manufatures probably patent their tread to keep the compitition from stealing it.

"Even tread wear throughout the life of the tire"

That depends on wheel alignment not the tire brand.

David K - 8-13-2010 at 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
DK Can I sell you the Brooklyn Bridge, it cheap and an antique.

Ok now serious they do not look lioke they would have as good a traction as the BFG's.

The only way I think I would get new BFGs, after the Rugged Trails wear out, is to win them... Sorry, I have seen far too many sidewall and other failures with BFGs and Michelins in Baja to bow into the fact that they are the most POPULAR tire in Baja. I personally have seen failures on brand new All Terrain TAs (just installed before our trip at ORW and no air dropped before the failure, and agian on CGs Dakota with new Michelin LTX, just a couple miles from Rancho Santa Ynez)...

comitan - 8-13-2010 at 03:54 PM

:yes::o:yes:

David K - 8-13-2010 at 04:02 PM

Hey, I am in no rush... and I sure don't have money to toss... So, just getting ideas for when I do replace these BFGs on my Tacoma.

Any opinions on these beautiful Italian tires?:

The Scorpion ATR is Pirelli's On-/Off-Road All-Terrain light truck tire developed for pickup, crossover and sport utility vehicle drivers that want to combine on-road civility with off-road capability. The Scorpion ATR is designed to master long highway journeys, wet roads and the challenges of winter driving by combining paved road comfort and handling with rough terrain grip and maneuverability.

The Scorpion ATR features a silica-enhanced tread compound molded into a quiet-running, symmetric all-terrain type tread pattern. A virtual continuous center rib and large, stable shoulder tread blocks provide directional stability and steering response while interlocked independent tread blocks in the center tread area further promote acoustic comfort, even on-road wear and off-road traction. Sweeping central circumferential grooves and lateral shoulder grooves channel water to resist hydroplaning and enhance wet traction. The independent tread blocks are siped to provide extra biting edges that enhance off-road traction on loose surfaces and in snow. The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts reinforced with spirally wrapped nylon cord to support the tread area providing predictable handling and high-speed control, while polyester cords stabilize the sidewalls and enhance ride quality.

(the above is from Tire Rack, not Pirelli's web site)

bajabass - 8-13-2010 at 04:25 PM

:no: Not a single customer of mine with Scorpion experience liked them. I won't sell them. All tires fail. Every brand. Every model. Just the law of averages! Had a Dueller almost kill me, and totalled a 2005 Tundra. The next set on the new truck were perfect when I traded it in.

comitan - 8-13-2010 at 04:27 PM

DK

You must realize your just a tourist in Mexico, if you lived here you would see that at least 85% of the Mexicans use BFG I look at the tires they are wearing and I think they know what they are doing, especially when there are so many Toyota Pickups down here. Does that tell you something! But you can put whatever you want on your vehicle.

David K - 8-13-2010 at 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
DK

You must realize your just a tourist in Mexico, if you lived here you would see that at least 85% of the Mexicans use BFG I look at the tires they are wearing and I think they know what they are doing, especially when there are so many Toyota Pickups down here. Does that tell you something! But you can put whatever you want on your vehicle.

That's what 'popular' means... I don't bow only to popular when picking a tire or anything. Sure the Tacoma IS the most popular mid-size truck for Baja travelers, but it is also the best with fewest problems from my personal experience.

BFGs are the most popular tire in Baja, but it has had the most problems from my personal experience... I am in no rush, so just gathering data. You can search back to 2006 when I went with Coopers and 2007 when I went with Toyos for why I picked them.

The Cooper STTs were totally mid-life crisis tires (they looked great)... but were grave diggers in the sand and noisy on the highway. They did last the longest 40,000+ miles and were great in mud (Laguna Salada), as expected.

Cooper ATRs and Toyo ATs were both very good and fair priced.

David K - 8-13-2010 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
:no: Not a single customer of mine with Scorpion experience liked them. I won't sell them. All tires fail. Every brand. Every model. Just the law of averages! Had a Dueller almost kill me, and totalled a 2005 Tundra. The next set on the new truck were perfect when I traded it in.

What business are you in... I appreciate the input.

My wife got Pirellis as the first replacement tires for her Corolla when the GoodYears it came with wore out. So far, they are great... Are the Scorpions just bad as a truck tire, or are all Pirellis flawed, in your opinion?

I tried to find the Bridgestone Desert Duellers, but that model doesn't exist anymore (I think Doug/ BajaNomad has them on his Tacoma, and loves them). Which type of Dueller do you suggest?

[Edited on 8-14-2010 by David K]

New shoes for DK

k-rico - 8-13-2010 at 05:50 PM

I can no longer resist:

David K - 8-13-2010 at 05:51 PM

Now K-rico, step away from the mirror when you are playing with the camera! :lol:

BajaNomad - 8-13-2010 at 07:06 PM

Quote:

I tried to find the Bridgestone Desert Duellers, but that model doesn't exist anymore (I think Doug/ BajaNomad has them on his Tacoma, and loves them).
And we just put 4 more new Bridgestones on it just a couple of weeks ago.

695's this time. Those and the Revo II's are the ones to look at for Light Truck, Load Range C tires (some of the sizes come in Load Range D or E - I'm still using 31x10.5x15's).

Best prices the past two times (here in San Diego) - and I guess it should be no surprise, but it was - were at the Firestone tire stores (Bridgestone owns the Firestone brand). Discount Tire, Evans Tire, Costco and even Tire Rack were all priced higher.

Bridgestone Dueler A/T D695 (at Tire Rack):
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone...

Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2 (at Tire Rack):
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone...

I asked at the Firestone store about the Destination A/T's that are rated so high on Tire Rack's all-terrain tire survey. Reference:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.js...

He told me the Firestones were a great value, but the Bridgestones were a better quality tire overall. (FWIW)

btw... I'm one of those people that has had scary problems with BFG All-Terrains. I seem to have a consistent problem with blowing out the sidewalls (multiple times) on the BFG A-T's.... but have never had such an issue with the Bridgestones.

Good luck with your tire choices everyone!

;D

-
Doug

[Edited on 8-14-2010 by BajaNomad]

David K - 8-13-2010 at 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad

... He told me the Firestones were a great value, but the Bridgestones were a better quality tire overall. (FWIW)

btw... I'm one of those people that has had scary problems with BFG All-Terrains. I seem to have a consistent problem with blowing out the sidewalls (multiple times) on the BFG A-T's.... but have never had such an issue with the Bridgestones.

Good luck with your tire choices everyone!

;D

-
Doug

Thank you Doug... I appreciate the info and links... and more honest feedback on what I have also seen re. BFGs!

Barry A. - 8-13-2010 at 10:27 PM

Here in Redding, CA (northern CA) you can get an estimate from any tire dealer in the city, and take it to AMERICA'S TIRE COMPANY and they will beat it if they carry the same tire (and they carry all the big name brands), normally by about $8 to 10 bucks, for 4 mounted and balanced.

And their guarantee can't be beat, I don't believe.

Barry

Bob H - 8-14-2010 at 12:34 AM

Jesus......... another tire thread......... WOW

[Edited on 8-14-2010 by Bob H]

David K - 8-14-2010 at 08:43 AM

I really wish tires didn't last as long or where as expensive, because I sure would like to try many varieties! Naturally, once I like a tire, then you hope it lasts forever! :spingrin:

As I have said many, many times... I was very happy with Toyo ATs and Cooper ATRs on my '05 Tacoma. The thing they don't have is 'sizzle'... The new Grabber from General has sizzle, as do many of the tires Ken posted. The problem with most of the off road tires that look great (have sizzle) is they are either noisy on the highway or do poorly in sand... and sand is my primary surface in the use of 4 wheel drive. :bounce:

I wish BFGs did better in sand and did not have weak sidewalls... they look good, are available everywhere, my wife loves them (had them on her CJ-5), so it isn't a hate thing. Sure, there was a time when I was down on anything from French companies (BFG is owned by Michlin of France), but France has changed policies since then. :yes:

mtgoat666 - 8-14-2010 at 09:44 AM

Quote:
there was a time when I was down on anything from French companies (BFG is owned by Michlin of France), but France has changed policies since then. :yes:

A change in policy is cause for you to change your economic support? DK: from your posts it appears that you are strongly against Obama's policies, so why are you not boycotting US companies until the US changes policies? :lol:

Hindsight is 20/20, and it appears that the french foresight was 20/20. The french were right in not supporting US invasion of Iraq. In hindsight, we now know that Powell, Bush and Cheney lied and/or relied on bad info to support their maniacal push for war, and their actions have done little to cause stability in middle east.
The french were right, the invasion had no justifiable basis, and invasion would destabilize the middle east..

[Edited on 8-14-2010 by mtgoat666]

woody with a view - 8-14-2010 at 09:49 AM

google "rush to war"

David K - 8-14-2010 at 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishabductor
DK,

I hear you on the expense of tires. I have bought 2 sets this year. I would like to try many brands as well, I'd like to have a garage full of different offroad toys with a different set of treads on each.

I love my BFG KM2 mud terrains in sand. They do very good. I use this truck primarily as my boat launching rig and it has preformed great with 265/75/16 tires, even in the soft blow sand on the dunes and high areas of the beach. The sidewalls on this new design is also more reinforced using the Krawler technology and I believe compound. I run them at 20psi.

My bronco has 12psi on 33" inch tires, locked rear. I don't need to use 4x4 in this rig, in the dunes, on the beach..I only engage on the occasions that my rear spins. Much funner throwing rooster tails than crawling. I am actually wanting to sell off the bronco and get a long travel buggy. Speed is more my thing than crawling.

[Edited on 8-14-2010 by fishabductor]

Sounds good... buggies are a blast!! I like both, low range four wheeling and high speed off road racing or dune buggy runs.

woody with a view - 8-14-2010 at 10:10 AM

Quote:

We ended an evil dictatorship that tortured and murdered its own people and saved thousand or millions of lives.

we also backed him while it was in our interests.

also, those thousands or millions saved remind me of the employment numbers this admin is spouting. totally unverifiable....

sorry for the 'jack. politicians are ALL THE SAME.

David K - 8-14-2010 at 10:15 AM

You are right, Woody!:light:

4WD Off Road TRD Tacoma Tires

David K - 8-14-2010 at 02:42 PM

Here is what comes on the truck, new

Here is what I got in 2006 as my first replacements for my '05:

Then...

Then...

Ken Cooke - 8-21-2010 at 06:50 PM

David,

I'm checking back in after a week's absence. How much longer do you give your current set of shoes??

I drove my Jeep a total of 5,500 miles last year, and my TrXus MTs could run another 10,000 miles - likely, 2 more years at that rate. They are loud, and howl like a pack of wild dogs on the highway above 50 m.p.h. I too am thinking of a set of tires that are more quiet on the street, but return great performance off-road.

The General Grabber might fill the bill for me, since I was looking at an All-Terrain tire that has great sidewalls and good traction off-road. I've shredded BFG All-Terrains on the trail, and I don't want to sink money into another set. Plus, behind Mike's Sky Rancho, where the boulder blocks a majority of the trail, and you have to skirt the outside of the trail near the cliff, the BFGoodrich All-Terrain tires were slipping bigtime while in 4Lo, making me a little nervous after my spotter told me about this lack of overall traction where needed most. My TrXus MT tires work very well off-road, but are difficult to balance and should be packaged with a set of ear plugs after the tire reaches 50% wear, IMO.:!:

David K - 8-21-2010 at 11:36 PM

Hi Ken,

I dropped into Discount Tires today to have a look... they don't have the new General Grabbers in yet (didn't even know about them).

Looked at the Falken Wildpeak A/T, Pirelli Scorpion, priced a couple others. BFG All Terrain T/As are the most expensive at $219, Pirellis were about $190, Falkens, Coopers and Toyos are all about $150. He really was pushing the BFGs... lol!

I am not yet at 15,000 miles on my BFG Rugged Fails... and in the past, they lasted to 25,000 before flats became a problem... and I already have had one flat at 13,000 miles near Laguna Chapala, coming down from Coco's.

I am really feeling warm towards the General Grabber...

MitchMan - 8-22-2010 at 12:51 PM

I have a '98 Tacoma 4wd 2.7L 4 banger with a regular cab. I use the vehicle in La Paz for street transportation and on sandy beaches (also, I plan to beach launch my 15 ft fiber glass outboard runabout with it).

What's the best tire for this vehicle and this use?

Hope this isn't considered an attempt to hijack this thread(?) Was going to start another thread, but seemed redundant to this one.

David K - 8-22-2010 at 01:40 PM

That's easy, street and sand driving both work great on street/ highway type tires. You may just want to get LT rated truck tires, but don't need agressive tread if snow, mud and rock crawling isn't in the menu.

Tire pressure may be dropped to 15 psi to improve floatation in sand, depending on the type of sand and other factors. Use 4WD High Range for sand, as low range gives so much torque, it will spin the tires too much and bury you easier.

[Edited on 8-22-2010 by David K]

MitchMan - 8-22-2010 at 04:03 PM

Thank you very much, David K. Yeah, I don't do any rock crawling for recreation, just what ever it takes to get to and from the fish. Appreciated the tip on using 4WD high. I am a complete novice on this stuff.

BAJACAT - 8-22-2010 at 06:28 PM

David, Im running PRO-COMP'S A/T. rated @ 50,000 miles I had put 40,000 miles on them and two of them are already bald, I have done the proper tire rotations on time and i don't belive I will get 50k miles of them. I bought them at 4wheelParts in Chula Vista @ $264 a tire.... i fell like going to them and having a talk. about the tires.....Im getting the General's on my next purchase...

David K - 8-22-2010 at 06:49 PM

If it is a 50,000 mile tire and wears out at 40,000 miles, the next set would be 20% cheaper... (10,000 miles is 20% of 50,000 miles). That is if you want the same tire...

On my 2001 Tacoma, after the second set of Rugged Trails wore out, I took Bedman's recommendation and went to Pep Boys and bought their Futura Dakotas (now called Destiny Dakotas)... made by Cooper. They were 40,000 mile tires, but barely lasted to 25,000 miles... They were only $85 each back in 2003, and the next set were almost half price as they only lasted a bit over half the warantee.... but $50 bucks for a 265/70-16 all terrain tire was impossible to pass up.

The listed price is still a low $117 for this tire at the local store.

[Edited on 8-23-2010 by David K]

David K - 8-22-2010 at 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
Thank you very much, David K. Yeah, I don't do any rock crawling for recreation, just what ever it takes to get to and from the fish. Appreciated the tip on using 4WD high. I am a complete novice on this stuff.

You can try to cruise across the sand (keeping your momentum up if it is soft)... IF you bog down... don't panic, don't spin the tires... Once forward speed stops, then downward movement begins! So, just stop and let air out of all 4 tires... to 15 psi (a good dial gauge that reads under 10 psi is a must, and a good air pump to refill the tires after the sand run, as well.

You should be able to just motor on after you air down... keep tires pointed straight, make sure you ARE indeed in 4WD (hubs locked, if you have manual hubs). Avoid sharp turns or slamming on the brakes while deflated.

Here is the look of my tracks before deflating (truck was drifting a bit sideways on the steep beach)... The truck was fully loaded and even with traction control (limited slip) it struggled in the deep sand:

After dropping to 15 psi, the truck straightened out and 'floated' with ease!:

looking back...

Piece of cake!

Another vote for the...

Mexray - 8-22-2010 at 10:23 PM

...Pro Comp Xtreme AT...I bought a set for our F-350 with the Lance camper aboard - needed some 'meat' to carry all that weight!

I needed 325/65R-18's to get the job done - those tires really made a difference...their wide 'footprint' really helped the 'sway' around curves with that camper weight up high...

I ran on the beach at Pismo with those tires, and really didn't have to air down due to their width...I even put those same tires and wheels on our 2001 Excursion and ran all over the dunes at Pismo on another trip after airing down to get through the soft stuff...what a blast to see that big hunkin' SUV up there on top of a big dune!

[Edited on 8-23-2010 by Mexray]

11.09 Pismo dunes [640x480].JPG - 50kB

Pro Comp on the camper rig..

Mexray - 8-22-2010 at 10:25 PM

IMG_6860 - Copy [Desktop Resolution].JPG - 47kB

MitchMan - 8-22-2010 at 10:26 PM

Very cool. Great pics illustrating the point. Spot on.

TMW - 8-23-2010 at 07:57 AM

Carroll's Tire Warehouse in Bakersfield has LT265/75R16 BFG TA KO for $169.95. LT285 for $194.95. Bridgestone Duelers LT265 10ply $168.95 and LT285 8ply $169.95. Michelin LT265 10 ply $184.95.

David K - 8-23-2010 at 09:55 AM

Get me a good price on the General Grabbers Tom... then bring them to me from Bakersfield... I'll buy dinner! :yes::rolleyes::lol:

TMW - 8-23-2010 at 03:16 PM

Carroll's don't show the General Grabber but I'm going to the bike shop in a little while and I'll stop by there and see what they say.

Ken Cooke - 8-24-2010 at 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Here are some recommendations for David K...I have been investigating and doing my research for you brother. :yes:

For the kind of travel you do, and the mix of light off-roading and high-speed Baja driving, I'm thinking a high-quality All-Terrain tire is what you should look into.

Here is my first pick for David...

Part Number: PCT560265
LT265/75R16, Pro Comp Xtreme All Terrain Radial
Load Range E
Max Load 3415
Tread Depth 18/32
Overall Diameter 31.6 Inches
Black SideWall
Sidewall Construction= Tri-Ply
40,000 Mile Tread Wear Warranty

I have been thinking about running the 35" Pro Comp Xtreme All-Terrain myself. These tires worked well in Anza Borrego during a flash flood 1 year ago on my friends Unlimited JK Rubicon, and they are quiet on the highway, and work like they are supposed to off-road.:yes:

Overall Winner last weekend's Vegas to Reno Race

David K - 8-24-2010 at 05:31 PM

Rick Johnson using General Grabbers!

Read the review in Petersen's

David K - 8-24-2010 at 05:35 PM

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/wheels/131_1007_ne...

New DOT-Approved General Grabber
General's Tough New Off-Road Tire
From the July, 2010 issue of 4Wheel & Off-Road
By Kevin McNulty
Photography by Kevin McNulty

We always seem to find ourselves a little delirious when a new off-road tire is released. We can barely stand the wait to get our mitts on them for some hardcore testing. General Tire introduced the Grabber Competition tire about two years ago, and it has proven its toughness and dependability through numerous of off-road events like CORR races, the Baja 1000 and 500, the San Felipe 250, and Vegas to Reno races. General now offers a DOT-approved version of the Grabber for regular folks like us.

Given our location near the high deserts and mountains of Southern California, we rarely have difficulty finding tough testing grounds. Through our grueling testing we found the Grabber extremely capable off road, providing excellent traction in mud, rocks, snow, and sand. What really impressed us was that the Grabber was not only able to provide good all-around traction in a number of environments, but was also highway-friendly without the drone so commonly found in mud tires. We have to rate the Grabber a great to-and-from-the-trail tire, perfect for the weekend warrior desert racers!

I specially enjoyed the comments under the sand driving photo:

The 35x12.5R17 Grabbers allowed us to blast through sand dunes without digging in and burying ourselves. With the tires set at 32 psi we were still able to climb steep dunes and float across flat sections of the softest sand. The tires are available in 33- to 35-inch sizes for 15- to 20-inch wheels

Could this be the perfect Baja tire?:

The wide voids of the Grabber allowed it to self-clean in the mud. The tire features Acoustic Modulation Technology, a wave-suppression technology that provides an exceptionally quiet street ride. They also feature General's patented Strake & Chamfer tread design, a design of diagonal grooves and chamfered lug corners that gives the tire its traction capabilities.

Move over BFG???:

The Grabber is constructed with seven-ply tread: three polyester, two steel, and two polyamide belts. The sidewall features three polyester belts. After running the rocky trails of Hammer we didn't notice any chunking, tearing, or gouges in the sidewall.

[Edited on 8-25-2010 by David K]

Ken Cooke - 8-24-2010 at 06:05 PM

David,

I am going to wait to hear what you have to say before i run out and buy a set. I want my Jeep to quiet down on the highway, but I want the dependability of my Interco tires which these over-built tires probably have.

TMW - 8-24-2010 at 06:35 PM

I stopped by Carroll's yesterdaqy and they quoted me $156 on the general Grabber AT2 is that the tire your looking at DK? 60,000 warranty.

TMW - 8-24-2010 at 06:37 PM

[The Grabber is constructed with seven-ply tread: three polyester, two steel, and two polyamide belts. The sidewall features three polyester belts.]

Now that would interest me.

David K - 8-24-2010 at 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
David,

I am going to wait to hear what you have to say before i run out and buy a set. I want my Jeep to quiet down on the highway, but I want the dependability of my Interco tires which these over-built tires probably have.

Read Petersen's review (link and some text above)... I will not be the first Nomad to get them, I am sure... I have another 10,000 miles to go on the BFG Rugged Fails, plus, I need some jobs for some $$$ first!!!

They do seem to be a winner (so far)!

David K - 8-24-2010 at 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I stopped by Carroll's yesterdaqy and they quoted me $156 on the general Grabber AT2 is that the tire your looking at DK? 60,000 warranty.

Nope, sadly it seems General calls all their tires 'Grabber'... The ones that were introduced this summer to the public are called the Grabber (no other letters)... and the intro price from 4 Wheel Parts Warehouse when they had an exclussive was $219 for the size I would get 265/75-16 (about an inch taller than the BFGs (265/70-16).

Ken Cooke - 8-24-2010 at 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
[The Grabber is constructed with seven-ply tread: three polyester, two steel, and two polyamide belts. The sidewall features three polyester belts.]

Now that would interest me.

I thought your BFG AT/KOs did fine in Baja on our trail ride. Why the change?

TMW - 8-25-2010 at 08:27 AM

Oh I have no problem with the BFG KO TA. I've have very good luck with them. Funny thing is on my 93 Toyota I never had a flat in the 14 years I owned the truck with 150,000 miles and I ran BFG KO TA tires the whole time. On my full size 91 chevy I had two flats on one trip to Baja in 2002. On my 2004 GMC I've had two flats and they too were on one trip to Baja in 2008. All the flats in my opinion were due to low tread, meaning I ran them longer than I usually do before replacing, trying to get that extra mile or two out of them.

David K - 8-25-2010 at 03:50 PM

Ken, the photo above you posted of a telephone pole from World War II (along the Pole Line Road NW of San Felipe) is missing something...

YOU!