BajaNomad

A run to Mulege

1bobo - 8-16-2010 at 08:12 AM

Crossed at Tecate 6:30 Saturday morning, was able to clear the construction zone (10 miles) before work started, so no delays, just lumpy. Was not so fortunate south of Maneadero, however. 40 minutes of stop & go for 5 miles of the grade. Too much water on the road & some cars were having a slip & slide pulling the construction zone.

A lot of construction all the way down. New lane being added (maybe 2 Mexican lanes) in many areas, new bridges, etc. I wish we could spend that kind of money in NW California on the roads (maybe trade in a few bombs), but I guess that rant is for another thread.

63 degrees at Guerrero Negro at 6:00 P.M., had thoughts of trying to push through to Mulege, but stopped for the night in San Ignacio instead. Decent 400p room at Rice & Beans, 72 degrees when I left at 7:00 Sunday morning. Was glad I did stop for the night: many cows in/along the highway yesterday morning. That could turn a good trip sour in a hurry.

Thunder clouds overhead here in Mulege now, maybe 90 degrees, some breeze, humid but not terrible, a bit like Fresno in the summer but without the smog.

I called ahead to let the Dorado know I was coming, maybe they arrived yesterday too. Ha. Will find out tomorrow.

Pompano - 8-16-2010 at 08:17 AM

Good report, 1bobo..and welcome. If you need some additional dodo info, go talk to Alex at his Mesquite Bar next to the sqaure.

Good luck..Tight Lines!

David K - 8-16-2010 at 08:29 AM

Good report, thanks!

while you're out on the water...

Mulegena - 8-16-2010 at 09:27 AM

know that the Sea of Cortez has some real treats for you.

The other day on the way to our scuba dive site
we were thrilled at the site of a turtle lounging about at suface.

Two minutes later we came upon a small pod of dolphin
moving and hunting with a pod of pilot whales!

Friends were snorkeling near Mulege in only about 20 feet of water
when they were joined by a curious whaleshark, gentle giant of the sea.

Enjoy your stay!

Desertbull - 8-16-2010 at 06:42 PM

when the road is completed thru SF and along the SOC about 4 hours will be cut off a trip to the US border, but not to San Diego...to Calexico getting to Bob's Paradise will be much easier:cool:

acadist - 8-17-2010 at 06:14 AM

Did the same drive yesterday, but stopped in G Negro. My only addition is that the only extended rough patch of road was after Catavina. Overall the road is in great shape so far. on to La Paz today! Another quick note, the Hotel in Catavina (former La Pinta) was empty, only one car in the lot. Was going to stay there but had a weird vibe so pushed it and ended up the last hour driving in the dark. no bueno. Has anyone stayed there recently?

Pompano - 8-17-2010 at 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by acadist
Did the same drive yesterday, but stopped in G Negro. My only addition is that the only extended rough patch of road was after Catavina. Overall the road is in great shape so far. on to La Paz today! Another quick note, the Hotel in Catavina (former La Pinta) was empty, only one car in the lot. Was going to stay there but had a weird vibe so pushed it and ended up the last hour driving in the dark. no bueno. Has anyone stayed there recently?

We stayed in early July...same thing..pretty empty except for us and two others in the restaurant for dinner. I shot some pool solo waiting for an 8-ball game, but nobody showed.

DianaT - 8-17-2010 at 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by acadist
Another quick note, the Hotel in Catavina (former La Pinta) was empty, only one car in the lot. Was going to stay there but had a weird vibe so pushed it and ended up the last hour driving in the dark. no bueno. Has anyone stayed there recently?

Traveling back and forth often, the last time we stayed there was about a year ago. It was fine, but in our opinion quite expensive and the food is just OK. Also, the A/C was broken, but they brought us a few fans.

We have had good and back luck with Linda's across the street. We sure wish someone would build a decent place with good food---don't mind paying a premium for the isolated location, but a resonable premium.

1bobo----good road information.

Bob, if you make it to Mulege in 13 hours, you must have no construction delays, no traffic in the Ensenada or San Quintin, find no slow trucks in the mountains, drive at quite fast speeds, have no hunger or a close by ice chest, a very large gas tank, an ironclad bladder or an empty bottle, and no dog with you. Oh, and never stop to take a picture. :biggrin:

[Edited on 8-17-2010 by DianaT]

BOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

capt. mike - 8-17-2010 at 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
12 hours to guerrero negro...WOW
you MUST have been pulling a trailer

i made it from tj to mulege in 13 hours

crossed at 12pm arrived at 1am

what the Hell are you doing driving at night? why the hurry? not safe amigo.
we need you around for a many annos. Well at least until you hire me as your yard man.:lol::lol::lol:

Bob and Susan - 8-17-2010 at 10:08 AM

13 hours border to mulege

construction and traffic... a little
no problems...of course

no women or dogs
you lose at least an hour with those in tow

mcdonalds and home depot for lunch and bug spray
double quarter pounder...with cheese...no bacon
why do they want to put bacon on mexican burgers?

gas in...
TJ
el rosario
villa jesus maria

13.1 MPG
30 gallon tank

i "hooked up" with a mexican
"professional driver" and his wife
at el rosario gas station
he pushed me and i paced him
he lived in santa rosalia

i know... i drive at night...you ONLY live once
i do it all the time
not too many cows...no donkeys

the call of my own bed is what pushes me

motoged - 8-30-2010 at 10:25 PM

Pompano,
Maybe the others read the sign : "Cuidado....tiburons aqui"
:lol:

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

We stayed in early July...same thing..pretty empty except for us and two others in the restaurant for dinner. I shot some pool solo waiting for an 8-ball game, but nobody showed.

bajamedic - 8-30-2010 at 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Pompano,
Maybe the others read the sign : "Cuidado....tiburons aqui"
:lol:

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

The ceiling in that room is fascinating, does anybody have any experience with the same type of design in their own home. Will a brick ceiling like that survive an earthquake or are they steel reinforced? How much of a dome is that, it is a little hard to get a depth perspective with Pompano looking like he has never played 8 Ball and hoping that someone will have a little mercy and take him on (ha-ha). I would assume that a ceiling like that is only done by an experienced craftsman, etc. Can anyone provide any experience with construction or living with these? Wow, that is a lot of off the wall questions, but I am curious. JH

Bob and Susan - 8-31-2010 at 05:33 AM

there's dome next door in punta suenoes here in mulege

the builder is available and in loreto right now

bajabass - 8-31-2010 at 05:43 AM

A group of guys have built a beautiful house in El Centenario with a similar roof/ceiling in their greatroom. Very impressive! Safe???

[Edited on 8-31-2010 by bajabass]

capt. mike - 8-31-2010 at 05:49 AM

i have built double compound curved arches for custom homes. a very good carpenter can form them.
all you do is base form the lid support, tie it off to temp ledgers then top place the bricks. there is NO steel involved unless you want veneer ILO real full bricks.
then you strip the ledgers and carry support and voila! you have a compound arched lid in brick.