BajaNomad

Ensenada Trip

briantroy - 8-17-2010 at 05:01 PM

Just spent 4 days in/around Ensenada. Pulled into Playa Saldamando campground on Thursday and found a spot on the beach without any neighbors. Friday morning we went deep sea fishing with Serigio's and managed to catch 8 Rockfish, 5 Sculpin and a Sea Bass on an 8 hour trip. That night we feasted around the campfire with the waves crashing nearby. The next morning we had a tour guide pick us up in a Jeep and take us wine tasting in the Guadalupe Valley. We hit LA Cetto, Dona Lupe's, 3 Mujeres and Vinisterra. Enjoyed some great wines, cheeses, breads, olive oils, and preserves with knowledgable and entertaining people. The owner of Vinisterra was actually on the premises and gave us a tour along with his daughter and a few of her friends visiting from Mexico City; very interesting guy! Sunday we spent on the beach and was informed the man I had met the day before at the campground office was the owner, Mr. Saldamando, and that he was the retired Assistant Chief of the San Diego police dept. Anyone know if this is true? After a day on the beach we headed to Bronco's steakhouse in Ensenada and had a nice dinner (complete with bull testicles) before heading to the Tecate border crossing in order to avoid the TJ traffic. Big mistake, the line was just as long and we wasted a couple hours with that move. All in all it was a fantastic trip and we are already planning our next adventure.

David K - 8-17-2010 at 06:01 PM

What day and time at Tecate? If it was long, then it would have been worse at Tijuana or Otay!

Bob H - 8-17-2010 at 09:16 PM

Wow, sounds like a perfect few days in and around Ensenada! Thanks for the trip report. Bob H

DENNIS - 8-17-2010 at 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by briantroy
(complete with bull testicles)

YUMMY.

Sounds as though you hit the border on Sunday. It's just a bad day to cross. Seems as though there is more tourist traffic this year than a few previous. Next time, plan on crossing on Monday.

tjBill - 8-17-2010 at 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by briantroy
...wine tasting in the Guadalupe Valley. We hit LA Cetto, Dona Lupe's, 3 Mujeres and Vinisterra...

Any of those 4 wineries recommended for a tour?

briantroy - 8-18-2010 at 10:19 AM

Returned on a Sunday with TJ and Otay traffic around 2 1/2 hours (7:30 pm) so we headed to Tecate. Waited in line there around 1 1/2 hours. As for the wineries, I would recommend all four of them. But, LA Cetto and Dona Lupe's are next to each other and offer much more. The other two are tiny, harder to find and only offer a few products. Dona Lupe's is like a Knott's Berry Farm; they offer all sorts of organic products. I saw: honey, oils, jams, preserves, cheeses, breads, drinks of all kinds, healing/cleansing products and just about anything organic you can make on a farm.

estebanis - 8-18-2010 at 12:54 PM

How much was the Jeep tour? I have been thinking of doing that on my way down. If only I could settle down and not be in the "We Gotta Get There Mode"
Esteban

BajaBlanca - 8-18-2010 at 08:11 PM

estebanis - is that a English springer spaniel ?

shari - 8-19-2010 at 07:09 AM

thanks for the nice trip report...not often we hear one for Ensenada...glad you had such a great time and ate....umm....adventurously! ensenada has so much to offer...try Pampass next time for an amazing dinner.

briantroy - 8-21-2010 at 03:35 AM

Esteban, the Jeep tour was $60 for both of us. That included a free pick up in downtown Ensenada, but they charged us $35 extra because we were camping outside of town. Total= $95 for what was supposed to be 3 wineries and 6 hours (all charges at wineries included) but really turned out to be 4 wineries and closer to 8 hours. Mike was nice enough to stop at the liquor store, bank and market for us. I gave him an extra 200 pesos for his trouble as he was very knowledgable about the area and history, very courteous and ultra professional without being cold. He is a native of the area and highly recommended. Turns out he is an attorney, his business partner is an accountant and they started the business to earn some extra cash. Take the time to check it out. It wis well worth the $100:http://www.bajawinesun.com/