BajaNomad

Mexico reaffirms gay marriages. Not hard to be more enlightened than California.

Pages:  1  

Lee - 8-17-2010 at 07:33 PM

''....the Mexican Supreme Court voted overwhelmingly this month to uphold the capital's same-sex marriage statute as constitutional; to require such unions to be recognized across the nation; and to permit gay and lesbian couples to adopt children.''

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-mexico-g...

surfer jim - 8-17-2010 at 08:47 PM

:rolleyes:

:no:

Mexicorn - 8-17-2010 at 08:55 PM

I heard on the Colbert report last night that the GOP is contemplating putting up a fence to keep all of the Gay people in the US from crossing into Mexico in a mass exodus!

DianaT - 8-17-2010 at 09:24 PM

It is a very good thing----great news.

[Edited on 8-18-2010 by DianaT]

BMG - 8-17-2010 at 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

Not hard to be more enlightened than California.
Isn't CA supposed to be the most 'enlightened' state?

Skipjack Joe - 8-17-2010 at 10:08 PM

"Mexico reaffirms gay marriages. Not hard to be more enlightened than California"

You can't legislate people's minds. Now they have a law which virtually no Mexican believes in.

Donjulio - 8-17-2010 at 10:10 PM

Interesting concept - gay marriage suggests enlightenment. Where did that come from?

Where did it come from ?

MrBillM - 8-17-2010 at 10:21 PM

Out of their Anus ?

redhilltown - 8-17-2010 at 11:30 PM

Oh my god. Bill...WHAT a comedian! Good god man, how DOES one get so funny? Or maybe you were serious? Or maybe you just pull stuff out of...

Oh never mind.

Mexicorn - 8-18-2010 at 05:51 AM

This thread is really getting humerous!:o
Doh!

Osprey - 8-18-2010 at 06:55 AM

I see a new kind of crime wave along the border, perhaps all over Mexico. Drive-by slappings.

[Edited on 8-18-2010 by Osprey]

bajabass - 8-18-2010 at 07:53 AM

You are dating yourself Osprey! ;D That is an old one. Oh, wait a minute, I remember it.:O Does that mean :?:, yup. :no:
Strange, such a hard core Catholic country would pass such a law. :?: I can see border zone wedding chapels springing up all over the place. Photo ops on painted donkeys!!! Don't forget the wild parties for the bride and bride, or groom and groom, in the Zona Norte! Watch out Adelita's!!!:O

DianaT - 8-18-2010 at 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
"Mexico reaffirms gay marriages. Not hard to be more enlightened than California"

You can't legislate people's minds. Now they have a law which virtually no Mexican believes in.

I agree. Bigotry comes from within and one cannot legislate minds.

However, one can legislate to protect minorities and ensure their human and civil rights. The arguments against gay marriage are very much the same as the ones used against interracial marrage in the past---that too had to be legislated in many places.

And often when the rights are granted and people see that it all the doomsday predictions do not come true, there is more acceptance.

And the idea that most Mexicans don't believe in it----well, many, many people did not believe in the granting of interracial marriages rights, but just as in this case, the legislation was the correct thing for the protection of human rights.

elizabeth - 8-18-2010 at 08:17 AM

This is not nation wide...only two places in Mexico where same sex marriage is legal: Mexico, DF and the state of Coahuila. The Supreme Court, in saying that the legislation is constitutional, also said that all states must recognize marriages contracted in either of those two places without extending the laws to the country as a whole. I don't imagine that there will be any legislation granting the right to same sex marriage in most of the rest of socially conservative Mexico, any time soon.

bajabass - 8-18-2010 at 08:22 AM

Oh well! So much for an influx of new businesses for TJ. :(

mercedes - 8-18-2010 at 08:30 AM

I don't think they all that "enlightened."

********.blogspot.com/2010/08/would-you-like-to-be-adopted-by-pair-of.html

[Edited on 8-20-2010 by BajaNomad]

Bajajorge - 8-18-2010 at 08:59 AM

In California 7 million voters say ban gay marriage. In California one(1) judge overturns what 7 million citizens want. I guess Mexico has the same mind set, screw what the people want.

And besides that, 99% of Mexicans are Catholic. The Catholic religion also says gay marriage is a no no. I guess their church is going down the tubes too.

TMW - 8-18-2010 at 09:00 AM

Some believe it should be and some believe it should not be. But if it is to be where would it stop or better yet where would your belief in such stop. What about father and daughter or son, mother and son or daughter, sister and brother or sister. Throw in an uncle or aunt. The possibilities are endless. Of course the question of children from such a union, but if the two parties can't have children should it be ban? We can get into the animal side later.

k-rico - 8-18-2010 at 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajajorge
In California 7 million voters say ban gay marriage. In California one(1) judge overturns what 7 million citizens want.

Yes but there were 13.4 million valid votes.

Proposition 8 results:

Anti same sex marriage: 7,001,084 52.24%

Pro same sex marriage: 6,401,482 47.76%

So you could say the judge ruled in favor of what 6.4 million people want.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_8_(2008)

But the number for and against isn't really the point.

[Edited on 8-18-2010 by k-rico]

bajabass - 8-18-2010 at 09:18 AM

That is not democracy in action, is it?

DianaT - 8-18-2010 at 09:19 AM

Quote:
In California 7 million voters say ban gay marriage. In California one(1) judge overturns what 7 million citizens want. I guess Mexico has the same mind set, screw what the people want.

And besides that, 99% of Mexicans are Catholic. The Catholic religion also says gay marriage is a no no. I guess their church is going down the tubes too.

Following that reasoning, the old Jim Crow laws in parts of the US would still be in effect.

Also, in many places in the Los Angeles area (and I am sure elsewhere as well) the old CC & Rs that are still on the books outlawed selling of property to any Blacks, Mexicans, Jews, Indians, Asians and others. That is what the "people" wanted. It took legislation to make those parts of the CC & Rs illegal.

In this case as well as in many others, the laws are meant to protect the human and civil rights of the minority---and it is a good thing.

In this case, it is the court doing their job --- protecting human rights and declaring an unjust law invalid.

Our entire government was set up to protect the minority from the whims of the majority.

Equal justice for all always has been and still is a work in progress.

[Edited on 8-18-2010 by DianaT]

k-rico - 8-18-2010 at 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabass
That is not democracy in action, is it?

The majority can't trump the Constitution, except by amending it.

durrelllrobert - 8-18-2010 at 09:26 AM

Mexican Government commercial currently running on the radio says (in English): "the government will continue to fight to protect the rights of its citizens" :?:

- protect them from who :?::?:

Woooosh - 8-18-2010 at 09:29 AM

Quote:

Um. The catholic church has already been flushed- they did that to themselves. I went to catholic school and the priest never laid a hand on me except to discipline me (I could have been an ugly child though).

I take the other view on the voting- if 7 million people vote for something that is against the constitution and singles out a class for discrimination- it is rightly overturned. We live in a Constitutional republic, not a democracy. So why did 7 million people vote to screw the constitution? They are bigots and they should just own-up to that. It's OK to be a bigot or racist-- we all are in some ways, but man-up and own it. Most whites were against interracial marriages too- so what?

With 50% of heterosexual marriages ending in divorce, outlawing or curbing divorce rates is the best way to protect marriage.

The way the law is today in Mexico- marriages performed in Mexico City are recognized here in Baja. I would be VERY surprised if Mayor Torres, who has already put the red carpet out for gay businesses, doesn't try to drum up some serious business from gay marriages if if ever comes to that here. So what. Life is too short and we need more love and commitment in this world, not less...imho

[Edited on 8-18-2010 by Woooosh]

elizabeth - 8-18-2010 at 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by k-rico
Quote:
In California 7 million voters say ban gay marriage. In California one(1) judge overturns what 7 million citizens want.

Yes but there were 13.4 million valid votes.

Proposition 8 results:

Anti gay marrigae: 7,001,084 52.24%

Pro gay marriage: 6,401,482 47.76%

So you could say the judge ruled in favor of what 6.4 million people want.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_8_(2008)

But the number for and against isn't really the point.

There's a reason why there is a separation of the different branches of government... checks and balances...a balancing of power to see to it that one branch is not more powerful than the others.

The courts are there to determining constitutionality of laws, and to protect the minority from majority (mob) rule when the majority wants to do something unconsitutional. If the courts were just rubber stamps, then there would still be segregated schools, institutional racism, bans on interracial marriages, use of birth control would be illegal, and there would be illegal sexual acts among consenting adults, among other things that the Supreme Court determined to be unconstitutional. If there was a vote on any of those issues, you would find that most people were on the opposite side of the court decisions.

And, Mexico may be a primarily Catholic country, but there is more separation of church and state here than most other countries. Only civil marriages are recognized by the state, religious ceremonies are personal decisions, but have no legal significance.

ecomujeres - 8-18-2010 at 10:46 AM

Thanks Diana, Woosh and Elizabeth. All well written - you all clearly make the point of why it doesn't matter what the voters want if they are limiting the constitutional rights of one group because they are uncomfortable with that group or because they feel morally superior. Since you said it so well, I'll leave it at that! Gracias!

JESSE - 8-18-2010 at 10:52 AM

FYI, 52% of Mexicans support same sex unions or marriage.

Woooosh - 8-18-2010 at 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE

That really doesn't surprise me. I find that Mexican families are more fluid and forgiving. In my family the sisters and brothers have other spouses they have had children with and some even raise each others children. It's not a big deal if someone calls their aunt who raised them "mom." There is a connection to the catholic church- but not always a rational one. One example is doing a Christian baptism at year one or two- instead of right after birth. Yes, I know infant mortality rates are higher in Mexico, but that' the POINT of a Baptism... to wash the soul of original sin so the child would not spend time in purgatory. Waiting a year for the party is socially very nice from a family perspective- but not what the church intended Baptism to be..

DENNIS - 8-18-2010 at 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE

What???? 52% of Mexicans are gay? Where do all these kids come from?? :o

DENNIS - 8-18-2010 at 11:43 AM

You guys are a charming couple, Roger. :yes:

Cypress - 8-18-2010 at 11:52 AM

Jim Crow? Is he related to "Old Crow"? :D

OK, I gotta ask

Dave - 8-18-2010 at 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
There is a connection to the catholic church- but not always a rational one.

You know. :rolleyes:

Is THAT ?

MrBillM - 8-18-2010 at 12:55 PM

A photo of Two Guys ?

Bajahowodd - 8-18-2010 at 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ecomujeres
Thanks Diana, Woosh and Elizabeth. All well written - you all clearly make the point of why it doesn't matter what the voters want if they are limiting the constitutional rights of one group because they are uncomfortable with that group or because they feel morally superior. Since you said it so well, I'll leave it at that! Gracias!

I want to weigh in on this too. Way too many people just plain do not understand what a constitutional democracy is. One of the checks and balances is to protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority. Methinks that too many people have spent way too much time watching and listening to self interested and wealthy provocateurs be they Limbaugh, Fox News or Dick Armey, for that matter. A majority of legal scholars who have weighed in on the recent Federal Court decision agree with the judge, in that whatever the so-called will of the people is, if it discriminates against others, it is unconstitutional.

People need to get over this. There is absolutely no evidence that support the notion that same sex marriage in any way infringes on the rights of others; not to mention that there is also no evidence that same sex couples are any less capable of providing a loving and nourishing environment for children.

And, there exists no clinical evidence that being homosexual is anything like a personal choice. It is a genetic imprint.

The people who are out in the front lines of the debate against same sex marriage are either religious zealots, or pawns of those who prefer that our attention is focused on such nonsense, so that they can rob everyone blind. Think Wall Street, the Banking industry and even Rupert Murdoch (why don't they confiscate his holdings and deport him?) He's un-American and anti-American; just pro profit and anyone be damned.

Given that Mexico has, at least some legalized same sex marriage, and I do believe that Canada does as well, not to mention myriad nations around the world, what does that make the us look like? Why not leave these fellow citizens alone; allow them equality, and turn your attention to stuff that really matters?

TMW - 8-18-2010 at 04:38 PM

If a church (religion) does not believe in same sex marriage will they be required to perform the marriage?

Getting over it ?

MrBillM - 8-18-2010 at 04:43 PM

Not anytime soon, Hopefully.

At least, not before November.

Whatever else Eventually happens in the courts, right now this is an issue which is working in our favor.

DENNIS - 8-18-2010 at 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
that there is also no evidence that same sex couples are any less capable of providing a loving and nourishing environment for children.

Doncha think those kids will be conflicted during the soon to be mandatory sex education classes in school? How will they process all of the guidance that won't apply to them? Won't they be confused?
Do you think the future will bring an insistance on gay sex education in the name of equality? You know how "hot-button" discrimination can be.
Will we see on TV Gay Divorce Court? Maybe Jerry Springer could be a judge.

k-rico - 8-18-2010 at 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
If a church (religion) does not believe in same sex marriage will they be required to perform the marriage?

No.

http://upword.blogspot.com/2008/10/prop-8-myths-churches-and...

"The California Supreme Court was explicit on this point......

Finally, affording same-sex couples the opportunity to obtain the designation of marriage will not impinge upon the religious freedom of any religious organization, official, or any other person; no religion will be required to change its religious policies or practices with regard to same-sex couples, and no religious officiant will be required to solemnize a marriage in contravention of his or her religious beliefs. [Ca. Sup. Ct., S147999 (2008), p. 117]"

[Edited on 8-19-2010 by k-rico]

DianaT - 8-18-2010 at 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW

In the US marriage is a civil affair ---- may or may not be a religious ceremony involved. On the other hand, one can get married in a church many, many times and it will not be a legally recognized marriage unless there is a license issued by the government.

Same sex couples have been having marriage ceremonies for a very long time in some churches --- a way to celebrate their union in a spiritual way. The problem has been that without the government issued license, the partners are deprived of many civil rights afforded to other married couples.

There are a number of gay couples in our church; some of whom were legally married before Prop 8, and many are raising very well adjusted children. Of course there will always be mal adjusted children coming from gay or straight homes. But the ideas that gay marriage in any way threatens straight marriages, or gays will definitely raise children with problems, or turn straight children gay, and on and on are all based on ignorance and bigotry.

It is time to move forward----and the rights of churches to refuse to marry anyone will remain intact ---- many religions have strict requirements for marriage within their church, and this will not change anything.

DENNIS - 8-18-2010 at 05:27 PM

What a bunch of unnecessary nonsense. The only real solution is to ban marriage all together for everybody.
Arm yourselves and live in sin.

SKIDS - 8-18-2010 at 05:36 PM

Wow !! What is happening to our society ? Where have our morals gone. Just look whats on the television these days. It makes me sad to see our morals, work ethics , respect errode before our eyes. Grandaugthers ( 8 and 10 yrs old) surfing the channels ending up watching jerry springer gay cheating lovers punching it out, I walked in and changed the channel.
I'm not real religous ,I'm just a country boy who knows right from wrong !

SKIDS

DENNIS - 8-18-2010 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SKIDS
Wow !! What is happening to our society ? Where have our morals gone. Just look whats on the television these days. It makes me sad to see our morals, work ethics , respect errode before our eyes. Grandaugthers ( 8 and 10 yrs old) surfing the channels ending up watching jerry springer gay cheating lovers punching it out, I walked in and changed the channel.
I'm not real religous ,I'm just a country boy who knows right from wrong !

SKIDS

Yeah....you're right. We we were young, it was Barnum And Bailey for something different. Now look at what we have. It's really scarey.

oldlady - 8-18-2010 at 05:48 PM

Wow...a majority is now a "Mob"....that's a giant leap down a sheet of ice.

How many gay people in California re there who want to get married?

Bajahowodd - 8-18-2010 at 05:49 PM

Morals? Try ethics and the constitution. I can absolutely agree with anyone of a certain age, who lived through much of the 20th century, that times have apparently change. But, the changes that trouble me most are the ones that seem to empower those who would seek to impose their beliefs and their lifestyle on others. Please get real folks. Do whatever you want to do. Live the way you wish to live. Let others do the same. Threats are from armed robbers, bankers, and corporate directors. Not from your law-abiding neighbors, who will not seek to harm you in any way, lest you seek to harm them.

DENNIS - 8-18-2010 at 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldlady

Don't have a clue, but it could help to save the state economy if they would charge about two million bucks for a license.
Either that or the issue would disappear.

DENNIS - 8-18-2010 at 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Do whatever you want to do. Live the way you wish to live. Let others do the same.

We've all seen Reefer Madness........did they ever make a film called Gay Madness? I'll bet someone is working on that.

bajabass - 8-18-2010 at 06:02 PM

It is what it is Skids, there is nothing you or I can do. The morals, ethics, thoughts and lessons on what is right or wrong that I was raised with are gone today. All I do is shake my head, and continue living my life, my way. I did vote yes on Prop 8. I also think that same sex marriage is a very minor issue compared to all the other serious problems today. Let it go, and we can concentrate on homelessness, starving children, and corrupt financial and political systems!

And most could afford it.

Dave - 8-18-2010 at 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
it could help to save the state economy if they would charge about two million bucks for a license.

For a persecuted minority who complain about the mostly economic benefits granted by marriage, most seem to be doing pretty well. :rolleyes:

Woooosh - 8-18-2010 at 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
it could help to save the state economy if they would charge about two million bucks for a license.

For a persecuted minority who complain about the mostly economic benefits granted by marriage, most seem to be doing pretty well. :rolleyes:

The economic benefits of marriage? (I'm still marinating on that one..) There shouldn't be any economic benefit or penalty associated with marriage- and why discriminate against single people?

DianaT - 8-18-2010 at 08:28 PM

Quote:

Often some of the founding fathers referred to the majority as rabble or the mob and our government was set up to protect the minority from the majority.

And many couples who have been together for many years do want to marry. Not just the ones we know, but when they could marry in California, they flocked to the court houses to marry. Many had previously married in other ceremonies of committment, but they wanted the legal rights that only a government sanctioned marriage would grant.

And for those who yearn for the good ole days, please remember that those good ole days were good mainly if you were a white protestant male----no so good for many of the "others".

But it is time to no longer open this thread. While the bigotry and insults could be excused as just ignorant, it begins to become personal. We have a number of friends who are gay, and it might surprise some of you to know that a few belong to this forum.

Our gay friends deserve the same civil rights that we enjoy. To deny this is unAmericaan.

Woooosh - 8-18-2010 at 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:

Often some of the founding fathers referred to the majority as rabble or the mob and our government was set up to protect the minority from the majority.

And many couples who have been together for many years do want to marry. Not just the ones we know, but when they could marry in California, they flocked to the court houses to marry. Many had previously married in other ceremonies of committment, but they wanted the legal rights that only a government sanctioned marriage would grant.

And for those who yearn for the good ole days, please remember that those good ole days were good mainly if you were a white protestant male----no so good for many of the "others".

But it is time to no longer open this thread. While the bigotry and insults could be excused as just ignorant, it begins to become personal. We have a number of friends who are gay, and it might surprise some of you to know that a few belong to this forum.

Our gay friends deserve the same civil rights that we enjoy. To deny this is unAmericaan.

I thought the thread stayed pretty respectful. The really mean people must be out of town. ;)

Skipjack Joe - 8-19-2010 at 04:01 AM

Quote:
Quote:

However, one can legislate to protect minorities and ensure their human and civil rights. The arguments against gay marriage are very much the same as the ones used against interracial marrage in the past---that too had to be legislated in many places.

Then the laws should be changed, Diane.

It's a tremendous waste of people's time and money to set up an election and have someone come along and say, 'sorry folks'.

Our system should first determine the constitutionality of a law and then allow people to vote on it. But once the courts decide on it there should be no backtracking and once again reversing the laws.

The problem is that the current system makes a mockery of elections and thereby democracy itself.

IMO the courts have too much power and they are inconsistent. The same Constitution is interpreted in different ways depending on who is making the judgement. So saying that the courts are a system of balance that keeps us from doing 'bad' is nonsense. The death penalty is constitutional in some states and not in others (what's more black and white than life and death). The abortion rights people have the upper hand now but it could change in a flash and still be 'constitutional'. Every president makes sure to appoint a Supreme Court judge that shares 'his' interpretation of the Constitution.

This entire 'constitutional' argument is a strawman used by those who are in agreement with the decision, and really nothing more. If you read this thread you will note that all of those who talk about the importance of supporting the Constitution (against "Mob Rule") are in fact liberal nomads who simply agree with the current ruling.

Cypress - 8-19-2010 at 05:01 AM

Marriage for gays? Why not? Seems sorta weird, but heck, it's a personal decision between two people. Who's harmed by their decision? What right do I or anyone else have to impose my personal beliefs on others? Guess the operative word here is "personal".

kaybaj - 8-19-2010 at 06:24 AM

Kinky Friedman when running for gov of Texas was asked what he thought about gay marriage. he said, "I don't have a problem with that. Why shoudn't they be as miserable as the rest of us." :lol:

k-rico - 8-19-2010 at 07:01 AM

I'd like to read the reasons why people are against same-sex marriage. Give it your best shot.

DENNIS - 8-19-2010 at 07:14 AM

Quote:
I'd like to read the reasons why people are against same-sex marriage. Give it your best shot.

I couldn't care less if they get married, but why? What advantage could there be in gay marriage that couldn't be gained through a business partnership?
I am so completely sick and tired of seeing demonstrations and parades with a bunch of dancing poodles and overweight, female lumberjacks waving rainbow banners. Let them do what they want to do, but keep it out of my face.

bajabass - 8-19-2010 at 07:44 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I couldn't care less if they get married, but why? What advantage could there be in gay marriage that couldn't be gained through a business partnership?
I am so completely sick and tired of seeing demonstrations and parades with a bunch of dancing poodles and overweight, female lumberjacks waving rainbow banners. Let them do what they want to do, but keep it out of my face.
Gotta go with Dennis on this one. I voted, it passed, a judge overturned the choice of the voters. Oh well, do what you will, but don't try to shove it down everyone elses throat! If we can remove the media attention and just let people get back to business as normal, I can stop having to see the same stock footage of happy gay couples sealing there vows with smooches on every news show aired. To quote another Dennis, " That's my opinion, I may be wrong".

DianaT - 8-19-2010 at 08:09 AM

First of all, I apologize for the bold letters---just was easier to write in the quote box.

And yes, I weakened and came back to this thread. I believe it was Emerson who said consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. Or maybe it is because it really is so difficult for me to understand why ANYONE would want to deny basic civil rights to people. Has someone actually been harmed or threatened by a gay marriage?

Quote:

It's a tremendous waste of people's time and money to set up an election and have someone come along and say, 'sorry folks'.

The system was set up so that the courts only rule on a law if it is challenged on legitimate Constitutional Grounds. And following that argument, I guess that one might believe that the Brown vs the Board of Education should have never happened. Afterall, the laws of discrimination were passed by the legislature and approved of by probably the majority of people. If instead of the courts making this decision, it had been put to a vote, the discrimination would have continued. Even President Eisenhower, a native of Kansas was very bigoted and very much opposed that decision. He only enforced it because it was his Constitutional duty to do so.

Our system should first determine the constitutionality of a law and then allow people to vote on it. But once the courts decide on it there should be no backtracking and once again reversing the laws.

The problem is that the current system makes a mockery of elections and thereby democracy itself.

That would make a mockery of the entire US government and how it was set-up. Besides, often it is only a part of a law that is declared unconstitutional. Like in the case of C C and Rs that are passed by governing bodies, many of the provisions are upheld, and some are not, like discrimination, or rules against the flying of the American flag, or the installation of satelllite dishes----those have been declared an infringment upon the rights of the individuals.

IMO the courts have too much power and they are inconsistent. The same Constitution is interpreted in different ways depending on who is making the judgement. So saying that the courts are a system of balance that keeps us from doing 'bad' is nonsense. The death penalty is constitutional in some states and not in others (what's more black and white than life and death). The abortion rights people have the upper hand now but it could change in a flash and still be 'constitutional'. Every president makes sure to appoint a Supreme Court judge that shares 'his' interpretation of the Constitution.

Yes, courts do change as does the intrepretaiton of the Constitution. The Constitution is an amazing piece of work. It was intended to be vague to accomodate changing situations. It is why it has lasted so long. And BTW, I do not know of anyone who is an abortion rights person, most I know are in favor of pro-choice for women. And sometimes justices surprise their appointers --- Warren certainly surprised Eisenhower---Warren, never quite forgave himself for the awful decisions he made as Gov. of California that took away the rights of many Americans. Equal justice has been and still is a work in progress.

This entire 'constitutional' argument is a strawman used by those who are in agreement with the decision, and really nothing more. If you read this thread you will note that all of those who talk about the importance of supporting the Constitution (against "Mob Rule") are in fact liberal nomads who simply agree with the current ruling.

I guess one could say that arguing in favor of a majority vote that was extremely well funded by forces from outside of California is a strawman argument by nomads who are homophobic and want to deny civil rights to a part of the society. This is not a liberal, conservative issue, it is an issue of civil rights and over the progression of this country, it has been the courts who have protected Constitutional Civil Rights. It began back with the Marbury vs Madison decision and has evolved from there. Yes, we have come a long ways fromt he Dread Scot decision.

It does not mean that churches will be forced into marrying gays, or that anyone will be forced to attend the wedding, or that anyone has to be friends with any gays. It just the simple granting of legal rights to individuals.

And Woosh---yea, it has been more civil than often, and I do understand that the tasteless jokes and comments are born out of either ignorance or homophobia----often incurable conditions. :biggrin:

So, I may or may not be back----off for the morning walk by the surf.

DENNIS - 8-19-2010 at 08:13 AM

Quote:
I believe it was Emerson who said consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.

Is that supposed to be good or bad?

DENNIS - 8-19-2010 at 08:18 AM

Quote:

It just the simple granting of legal rights to individuals.

If the gays in question wanted to be individuals, we wouldn't be having this little chat. :light:

Woooosh - 8-19-2010 at 08:44 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It was nice to have the Mormom Church coffers suffer a hundred million dollar hit from financing Prop 8. It was the most expensive issue ever to reach a ballot- let he bigots waste their money. You can't fix stupid. It's a shame all that money wasn't used for something positive to help society- instead of being wasted on ads.

TMW - 8-19-2010 at 08:48 AM

Quote:
Many had previously married in other ceremonies of committment, but they wanted the legal rights that only a government sanctioned marriage would grant.

Diana in CA they do have the same legal rights.

oldlady - 8-19-2010 at 09:02 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Depends, but the oft quoted partial sentence conveys a meaning that perhaps Emerson did not intend. What he wrote was:
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosohers and divines.

When did we adopt a mind set that a government in the US is the grantor of rights?

If our courts agree that marriage is a "right" and not a relationship between a man and a woman, Pompano's desire to marry his late lab might be a little extreme(but if she was as pretty as my lab, maybe not) but not so far fetched to assume that the "right" must be universally extended and or protected irrespective of quantity or familal relationships.

The professional left, in its penchant for foolish consistency, has managed to whip the public into a frenzy without so much as an acknowledgement of a how a slippery slope would be negootiated if at all. But is sure as hell is a nice diversion so we don't get concerned about a bankrupt state and a bankrupt nation fiddling over this while Iran fiddles with loading fuel rods into a reactor.
I agree with Dennis.....Nonsense!

[Edited on 8-19-2010 by oldlady]

Civil Rights and What's Right.

MrBillM - 8-19-2010 at 09:15 AM

Although I have no use for the LDS, I do think that they shouldn't be criticized for doing whatever they feel correct to support their religious tenets. That isn't "Un-American".

Or, "unAmericaan" as Diana would say.

Rather than misquote 19th Century minds (especially in all things political), I prefer the wisdom of modern-day philosophers like Charles Colson who said:

"When you've got them by the Balls, their Hearts and Minds will Follow".

[Edited on 8-19-2010 by MrBillM]

capt. mike - 8-19-2010 at 10:21 AM

anybody remember the old adventures of Rump Ranger radio show?? With his faithful sidekick Rauncho?

the opening chorus went like this:...

He's Rump Ranger....
Turns his back on the face of danger..
Drops the outlaws to their knees...
that's the way he likes them please..
He's Rump Raaaanger!!... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

it was hiliarious.

wessongroup - 8-19-2010 at 10:31 AM

Lady, glad you're keeping your eye on the "ball"... as would appear some are running for the hills on the dropping of this second shoe.. oh, and lets not forget all those "commercial" loans which will be re-indexing too.. oh, my..

now who is going to buy all that....

as for the same sex marriages... looking forward to the division of property, who gets the kids.. and all kinds of neat things which will have to be dealt with.. but, hey ....... there are a lot of lawyers out there that need work too... so why not create a whole new area of work... legal separation of gay couples... I'm sure there are going to be some really good ones coming up...

Just who is the "breadwinner".. or is that something that will not be considered in same sex marriages.. or does the "woman" always get the "kids"??? who gets the house.. can hardly wait..

Jerry Springer has just gotten a new show..... for life

[Edited on 8-19-2010 by wessongroup]

toneart - 8-19-2010 at 10:47 AM

"The professional left, in its penchant for foolish consistency, has managed to whip the public into a frenzy without so much as an acknowledgement of a how a slippery slope would be negootiated if at all. But is sure as hell is a nice diversion so we don't get concerned about a bankrupt state and a bankrupt nation fiddling over this while Iran fiddles with loading fuel rods into a reactor.
I agree with Dennis.....Nonsense!"--Old Lady

I agree that it is distracting from the important issues. But Prop.8 IS the opposition; the ones who are whipping this up and incurring the huge expense.

It should matter not a whit to anyone other than the gays who want to marry. It doesn't affect anyone's life other than to torment the twisted minds of homophobes.
---thoughts from the Amateur Left:P:spingrin::lol:

DENNIS - 8-19-2010 at 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike

it was hiliarious.

For your viewing pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W-gsCXrIkA

DianaT - 8-19-2010 at 11:40 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Depends, but the oft quoted partial sentence conveys a meaning that perhaps Emerson did not intend. What he wrote was:
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosohers and divines.

Ah yes, that is the complete quote---but my use of it was not in regard to this issue, but I guess some did not understand that. But now that you put the full quote out there, it sure describes the Sarah Palin politicians of today---especially the small minds. It also describes the homophobic right wing--even the ones who are gay.

When did we adopt a mind set that a government in the US is the grantor of rights?

That is pure nonsense. The original Constitution probably would not have been adopted without the Bill of Rights which were written so that government would protect the rights that were important to the founding fathers. And over time, those rights have been extended to include other segments of the population. Or do you think those rights come from some mystical divine force? Nonsense

If our courts agree that marriage is a "right" and not a relationship between a man and a woman, Pompano's desire to marry his late lab might be a little extreme(but if she was as pretty as my lab, maybe not) but not so far fetched to assume that the "right" must be universally extended and or protected irrespective of quantity or familal relationships.

More nonsense. A form of that argument was used to oppose interracial marriage---simply nonsense. A fear tactic used by the extreme right wing---that is what they survive on, fear and hate.

The professional left, in its penchant for foolish consistency, has managed to whip the public into a frenzy without so much as an acknowledgement of a how a slippery slope would be negootiated if at all. But is sure as hell is a nice diversion so we don't get concerned about a bankrupt state and a bankrupt nation fiddling over this while Iran fiddles with loading fuel rods into a reactor.
I agree with Dennis.....Nonsense!

You really must be kidding? It is the right wing noise makers who have whipped the public into a frenzy over this. They want it to be one of their hate and fear election issues since they have no viable answers for the problems the country is facing. They have simply tried to obstruct any progress. The left was happy with this decision and that would have been the end of the discussion.

[Edited on 8-19-2010 by oldlady]

Homophobia is alive and well and difficult to understand. But hopefully rational minds will prevail and this right will be extended to this segment of our population. Progressing toward the granting and extending of rights to more people is the American way. (did I spell that correctly, I hope so as to not upset Mr. Bill)

TW---yes, California has granted a lot of rights to the gay population, so why not go the one step further?

Why are some people threatened by this? The tasteless jokes really demonstrate a fear? Married gays will not threaten you marriage, they will not turn you gay, they will not turn your children gay, and they will not force you to drop your homophobia.

Has anyone been harmed by the gays who did marry in California?

DENNIS - 8-19-2010 at 12:09 PM

Quote:
---yes, California has granted a lot of rights to the gay population, so why not go the one step further?

Is that all they will ever demand? One step? I find that difficult to believe. Empowered, they will produce a never ending litany of demands.
Activists don't have a goal. They have a hobby and the only way to tolerate them is to ignore them.

DianaT - 8-19-2010 at 12:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:
---yes, California has granted a lot of rights to the gay population, so why not go the one step further?

Is that all they will ever demand? One step? I find that difficult to believe. Empowered, they will produce a never ending litany of demands.
Activists don't have a goal. They have a hobby and the only way to tolerate them is to ignore them.

Just what rights that you enjoy would threathen you if they are granted to gays? That is nonsense and more fear tactics.

Taco de Baja - 8-19-2010 at 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by WooooshIt was nice to have the Mormom Church coffers suffer a hundred million dollar hit from financing Prop 8. It was the most expensive issue ever to reach a ballot- let he bigots waste their money. You can't fix stupid. It's a shame all that money wasn't used for something positive to help society- instead of being wasted on ads.

Wasted? Really? All that money (on BOTH sides) went someplace and helped pay someone’s salary from the ad agency developing the propaganda slogans, focus groups, the radio stations, the TV stations, people pounding in signs, people walking the neighborhoods.....Not to mention all the income taxes those people had to pay to the state and feds. You could almost call it stimulus money, trickle down economics or whatever the buzz word for it is now…..

The Founding Fathers

MrBillM - 8-19-2010 at 12:31 PM

No doubt did not anticipate that there would EVER be such a surge of Queer Coupling requiring government to address the question.

Of course, the premiere Founding Father (Alexander Hamilton) was against the entire Bill of Rights, contending that the Constitution was clear enough that the Federal Government had NO Rights which were not enumerated and, therefore, was incapable of doing ANYTHING ELSE if the States objected.

He sure got that one wrong along with his writings in "The Federalist Papers" justifying the Supreme Court.

One other founder (who wasn't involved in the Constitution) who would have been dumbfounded by the surge in the Homos, would have been Benjamin Franklin, who did his best to become the true "Father" of our country. One can only imagine him saying "with all these women around, why would any guys want to go around butt-plugging each other" ?

That is a good question.

DENNIS - 8-19-2010 at 12:39 PM

Quote:
Just what rights that you enjoy would threathen you if they are granted to gays? That is nonsense and more fear tactics.

I don't know, but I, and my squaw, have a right to co-habitate in peace. So do the gays, so what's the big deal? There's a right they can excercise.

The horror

Dave - 8-19-2010 at 12:41 PM

Quote:

Mandatory home redecorating?

New military uniforms designed by Versace?

Judy Garland's birthday a national holiday?

On a lighter, loafer note...All the street signs in the desert community of Cathedral City are purple. Worth a chuckle every time I drive through.

[Edited on 8-19-2010 by Dave]

DENNIS - 8-19-2010 at 12:47 PM

Quote:

New military uniforms designed by Versace?

I can see it now....Big, burly, Black drill sergeants wearing twelve year old boy's T-Shirts.

Dave - 8-19-2010 at 12:52 PM

Quote:
I can see it now....Big, burly, Black drill sergeants wearing twelve year old boy's T-Shirts.

Gets you hot, don't it? ;D

oldlady - 8-19-2010 at 12:57 PM

In this country our rights are endowed by our creator. The Bill of Rights is a clarification to ensure the government protects our rights. Read your own words, Diana, PROTECT not GRANT. And it was reasonably well thought out "nonsense".

I don't know any homophobic people at all; right left or center. I know of a religion that has very strong rules and consequences about homosexual behavior. How they excercise their tolerance, or how they will overturn our laws when they are on the bench will be interesting. But, demonizing people with these types of labels (homophobic, racist, bigot) when in fact their concerns may be on the possibility of unintended consequences, is your consistency, not mine.

DENNIS - 8-19-2010 at 01:01 PM

Quote:
more fear tactics.

No, Diane. There's no fear involved. Gays have rights and more rights are being clarified. That's good. I'm glad.
But, to me, their life style is an abomination and as much as they like to say that we are all the same, we're not. They thrive and have pride in the difference when it's convenient, but when they want something, they cry equality.
Sometimes, there are prices to pay for individuality. The gays, in my opinion, want to be different and have a price to pay for that.
And, the nonsense tossed around about children of single sex parents being unaffected growing up with their brutal peers who over-hear the opinions and observations of their traditional parents is just plain BS. Kids are sensitive to the slightest anomaly.

[Edited on 8-19-2010 by DENNIS]

DianaT - 8-19-2010 at 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
But the ideas that gay marriage in any way threatens straight marriages, or gays will definitely raise children with problems, or turn straight children gay, and on and on are all based on ignorance and bigotry.
I confess my ignorance-- do you have any information on sexual identity and tendencies for children of mono-gender parental couples? My visceral feeling is that such environment doesn't present complete role models for the developing child. But nor do single parent households, for that matter...

--Larry

One study

Just another one of many

And these are just a couple---google it and read the studies. One study I cannot find right now does say that children raised by gay couples are more accepting and tolerant of gender differences.

And these are mainly reports on other studies---the studies are interesting to read if one is interested. Has been quite a while since I have read them.

Now if you check places like the crazy Focus on the Family, well remember he also thinks that gays are the product of environment which is really nonsense.

Children raised in what is the so-called traditional Leave it to Beaver home may or may not be well adjusted, as well as children raised in alternative family situations----coops, single mothers or fathers, extended families, gay familes, etc.

My reason for having read several studies in the past is that I at one time believed what you suggest. But as I acquired more gay friends with whom I would debate this issue, I became interested. Not only did the studies change my mind, but also knowing the children of gay couples changed my mind. It is like any other family situation---can be good, or not----

So again, I ask, how does the idea of a gay legally married couple threaten anyone?

DianaT - 8-19-2010 at 01:30 PM

Quote:
In this country our rights are endowed by our creator. The Bill of Rights is a clarification to ensure the government protects our rights. Read your own words, Diana, PROTECT not GRANT. And it was reasonably well thought out "nonsense".

I don't know any homophobic people at all; right left or center. I know of a religion that has very strong rules and consequences about homosexual behavior. How they excercise their tolerance, or how they will overturn our laws when they are on the bench will be interesting. But, demonizing people with these types of labels (homophobic, racist, bigot) when in fact their concerns may be on the possibility of unintended consequences, is your consistency, not mine.

So just who granted those rights? That mystical divine being? That was just fanciful language; and the author knew it. Thus the creator was not defined, as the author was not a Christian with one of those concrete images of a creator. Besides, if there is that mystical divine being, he/she or it also created homosexuals. Sorry, but yes the purpose was to PROTECT the rights that they GRANTED to themselves through the new government.

Religion has nothing to do with the debate, or certainly should not be included----we are still hanging on to the separation of church and state, albeit only by a thread at times.

Certain religions, or certain interpretations of religions can, and will continue to oppose homosexuality, while others embrace it as a part of what they called God's design.

Called it my consistency, if that makes you feel better, but to deny a segment of the society civil rights is a form of either bigotry or homophobia: just as racist was a legimate label for those who fought against civil rights for people of color. If you truly do not know anyone who is homophobic, well that is difficult to believe. I do not know of anyone who does not have at least one member of their family who is homophobic.

Unintended consequences is another one of those straw arguments used to deny people civil rights and to stop progress. Silly and nonsense.

Sorry if you think it is demonizing people---not intended to be so as I am a believer that ignorance, homophobia, and bigotry are curable. And there are NO rational reasons for denying these civil rights, only hate, intolerance and fear.

[Edited on 8-19-2010 by DianaT]

oldlady - 8-19-2010 at 01:41 PM

It doesn't. You seem to be the only one who thinks those that have reservations about it are doing so because they feel "threatened". Read the Time study. Only mention of the word marriage is "heterosexual marriage". So...if all these kids were raised well by unmarried people, what's the big deal about getting married?

wessongroup - 8-19-2010 at 02:12 PM

Folks it's about money... it really not that complicated...

1. Denied the Social Security survivor benefits that are made available to all married couples;

2. Heavily taxed on any retirement plan – 401(k) or IRA – they inherit from their partners, although married spouses can inherit these plans tax-free; and

3. Charged an estate tax on the inheritance of a home, even if it was jointly owned – a tax that would not apply to married spouses.

One can couch it in any vehicle they wish...

Ken Bondy - 8-19-2010 at 02:14 PM

It astonishes me that christians can emphatically claim that homosexuality is an abomination, on the basis of what their bible says (Leviticus 18:22), and at the same time reject other things that are clearly advocated and justified by their religion, like slavery (Leviticus 25:44), selling your daughter into slavery (Exodus 21:7), killing someone who believes in some other god (Deuteronomy 13:7-17), killing those who work on the sabbath (Exodus 35:2), and killing your kids for talking back to you (Leviticus 20:9 and Exodus 21:17). Where's the consistency in that? Seems like one should not cherrypick the bible, it should either be accepted in its entirety or rejected in its entirety.

[Edited on 8-19-2010 by Ken Bondy]

k-rico - 8-19-2010 at 02:16 PM

what's the big deal about getting married? - Married Filing Jointly on federal tax returns perhaps?

Also:

http://www.baywindows.com/index.php?ch=news&sc=glbt&...

DOMA decisions released - Two huge victories for marriage equality.

In an enormous victory for same-sex marriage, a federal judge in Boston today (Thursday, July 8) ruled, in two separate cases, that a critical part of the federal Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) unconstitutional.

In one challenge brought by the state of Massachusetts, Judge Joseph Tauro ruled that Congress violated the Tenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution when it passed DOMA and took from the states decisions concerning which couples can be considered married. In the other, Gill v. Office of Personnel Management, he ruled DOMA violates the equal protection principles embodied in the Due Process Clause of the Fifth Amendment.

In Commonwealth of Massachusetts v. Health and Human Services, Tauro considered whether the federal law’s definition of marriage -- one man and one woman -- violates state sovereignty by treating some couples with Massachusetts’ marriage licenses differently than others. In Gill v. Office of Personnel Management, Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders (GLAD), a gay legal group, asked Tauro to consider whether DOMA violates the right of eight same-sex couples to equal protection of the law. Both cases were argued, separately, in May, and the decision released today is a relatively quick turnaround, given that some judges take almost a year to decide cases.

GLAD attorney Mary Bonauto told Tauro that DOMA constitutes a "classic equal protection" violation, by taking one class of married people in Massachusetts and dividing it into two. One class, she noted, gets federal benefits, the other does not. Just as the federal government cannot take the word "person" and say it means only Caucasians or only women, said Bonauto, it should not be able to take the word "marriage" and say it means only heterosexual couples. Bonauto said the government has no reason to withhold the more than 1,000 federal benefits of marriage from same-sex couples, and noted that a House Judiciary Committee report "explicitly stated the purpose of DOMA was to express moral disapproval of homosexuality."

Maura T. Healey, chief of the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Civil Rights Division, told Judge Tauro that Section 3 of DOMA -- the section that limits the definition of marriage for federal benefits to straight couples -- violates the state’s right under the federal constitution to sovereign authority to define and regulate the marital status of its residents. Healey called DOMA an "animus-based national marriage law" that intrudes on core state authority and "forces the state to discriminate against its own citizens."

Christopher Hall, representing HHS, said Congress should be able to control the meaning of terms, such as "marriage," used in its own statutes, and should be able to control how federal money is allocated for federal benefits provided to persons based on their marital status. Tauro essentially replied that the government’s power is not unlimited.

Both Bonauto at GLAD and Healey at the Attorney General’s office urged Tauro to apply heightened scrutiny in considering whether the federal government had any legitimate need for DOMA. Heightened scrutiny requires the government to come up with a fairly significant reason for treating gay couples differently under the law. In both cases, however, the judge said that DOMA failed to meet even the most simple judicial review, rational basis -- in other words, there was no justifiable reason to the federal government to treat same-sex couples.

Both lawsuits are very precise legal attacks against DOMA -- targeting just Section 3 -- and most legal observers believe both cases will eventually be appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court for resolution. The only other marriage case right now that has that same potential is the Proposition 8 marriage case in a federal district court in San Francisco. Judge Vaughn Walker heard closing arguments in that case in June and has not yet issued his decision. The next step for all three cases is the U.S. Court of Appeals.

[Edited on 8-19-2010 by k-rico]

oldlady - 8-19-2010 at 02:21 PM

Quote:
So just who granted those rights?

No person or government or God. This belief system expressed the idea that we have rights because we are, we exist.

Some of us even have a right to be homophobic, or racist, or bigoted. How we behave/vote will reflect our belief systems.

I don't have an issue with your celebration of the legalization of Gay Marriage. My issue is purely with your intolerance of those who don't share your world view.

Bajahowodd - 8-19-2010 at 02:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:

No person or government or God. This belief system expressed the idea that we have rights because we are, we exist.

Getting a little Zen here.:lol:

DianaT - 8-19-2010 at 02:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Some of us even have a right to be homophobic, or racist, or bigoted. How we behave/vote will reflect our belief systems.

I don't have an issue with your celebration of the legalization of Gay Marriage. My issue is purely with your intolerance of those who don't share your world view.

Oh heck, many of my friends disagree with me politically all the time---in fact my very best friend for the last 30 years argues with me all the time over most things politically.

But I am not very tolerant of people who want to act on their belief systems in a way that harms other people and denys them the same rights others enjoy; the rights that are granted to us by our governement.

And as are all belief systems, the one that claimed we have the rights because we exist was also a creation of human beings.

and yes Wessongroup---money is a very big part of the equation---the right of gay couples to enjoy the benefits you listed, the benefits that are mandated by law to legally married couples.

Ken, picking and choosing parts of the bible to back one's belief system can be an exercise in fun---it is all there --- what ever you want. :biggrin:

A paradoxical conundrum

Dave - 8-19-2010 at 03:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
My issue is purely with your intolerance of those who don't share your world view.

But I am not very tolerant of people who want to act on their belief systems in a way that harms other people

Intolerance of the tolerance of the intolerant.

Makes your head spin. :rolleyes:

bajabass - 8-19-2010 at 03:00 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

k-rico - 8-19-2010 at 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
Folks it's about money... it really not that complicated...

Same sex couples that feel a deep emotional bond and want that bond recognized in the same manner done so by opposite sex couples as a true commitment to sharing their lives together might argue with you about the importance of the money aspect.

Why be opposed to love and commitment, that's crazy.

DianaT - 8-19-2010 at 03:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My issue is purely with your intolerance of those who don't share your world view.

But I am not very tolerant of people who want to act on their belief systems in a way that harms other people

Intolerance of the tolerance of the intolerant.

Makes your head spin. :rolleyes:

As well it should. :biggrin::biggrin:

Skipjack Joe - 8-19-2010 at 03:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

You have to be kidding !!!

You are one of the most pugilistic people on this board. You are always involved in some turmoil here. You may be tolerant of belief systems but you seem to be intolerant of everyone here.

When people don't agree with you, out come the accusations. You basically trash those who don't share your opinion on anything.

If the right uses the fear factor to gain support - you use the shame factor to achieve similar ends.

DianaT - 8-19-2010 at 04:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

You have to be kidding !!!

You are one of the most pugilistic people on this board. You are always involved in some turmoil here. You may be tolerant of belief systems but you seem to be intolerant of everyone here.

When people don't agree with you, out come the accusations. You basically trash those who don't share your opinion on anything.

If the right uses the fear factor to gain support - you use the shame factor to achieve similar ends.

Igor,
I knew when I disagreed with you over the nature of the government that I was risking the rath of Igor. You really go on the personal attack when one disagrees with you----it has happened before --- and there were no accusations toward you, not that I can find. But it really is your problem.

I hereby apologize to anyone who feels that I personally unjustly attacked them. Maybe there is a rational reason for wanting to deny a segment of the population the same civil rights enjoyed by others. Maybe there is a reason that does not involve hate, intolerance, or fear.

If there is a rational reason, someone should state it---I am curious.

But disagreeing about the nature of the government is a very different matter---

Bajahowodd - 8-19-2010 at 04:26 PM

Sounds like a quid pro quo, if I was to believe your post.

Fear subjugates people. The Bush administration was very skilled in using it as such. Perhaps the (maybe) unintended consequence of what they did is why, today, we have such a disruptive public debate over almost everything. People want to argue over almost anything, no matter how trivial it may be when compared to the greater scheme of things.

Guilt, on the other hand, has been a part of Jewish culture for centuries, and co-opted, to be practiced by the Catholics years later.

[Edited on 8-19-2010 by Bajahowodd]

DENNIS - 8-19-2010 at 04:34 PM

Quote:

I wish I'd said that.

DENNIS - 8-19-2010 at 04:38 PM

Quote:

Why be opposed to love and commitment, that's crazy.

Who's opposed to that? Let's all love and commit. Do we have to have the government bless this union?

DianaT - 8-19-2010 at 04:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I wish I'd said that.

It is a very good statement that could be used often in many different situations and with many different people.

Many of us, including me, can get fired up and sound and be very intolerant of other people at times, but maybe there are exceptions----

DENNIS - 8-19-2010 at 04:46 PM

Diane...you here have developed a self-serving quagmire in which you wallow....with glee. This issue will have no resolution here, but the fight itself is now the issue and you are content with the feeling that there is no one answer. The war will go on.
I think you like that.

DENNIS - 8-19-2010 at 04:48 PM

Quote:
It is a very good statement that could be used often in many different situations and with many different people.

Focus, please. Stay on point.

Pages:  1