BajaNomad

The Last three days in La Paz

acadist - 8-20-2010 at 05:10 PM

Fished the last 3 days in La Paz, had a ball!
First things first, Drive was smooth, no real problems.
Fished with Tailhunter, Captain Pancho. He is highly recommended, a real go-getter who knows his stuff and wants to share his knowledge.
Day 1: Started by trolling for wahoo, nada. Went for tuna and caught 9 footballs. Tried to get pargo to bite and after they boiled on our chum, that was it....no bites but a trigger. Trolled for dorado and picked up 3 for the cooler. Got the radio call that some boats were chasing big tuna so we got over there and I landed a nice fish that weighed in at the beach at 43# on a dorado colored rapalla.
Day 2: Went out and trolled for wahoo again, after about thirty minutes a storm blew in and we got off the water. While waiting it out I practiced my casting and was rewarded by a small jack to use for bait later. We got back out and while the other boats ran straight for the football tuna we trolled the bait looking for roosters. No roosters but one dorado.Hit the tuna and 15 fish later decided to try something else. On our way to troll I spotted a jumping marlin and was given that 'ok,sure' look from Pancho. we later found out that just after we left the tuna a marlin was circling the area that all the fleet was working. We went and trolled the shark bouys and ended with limits of dorado before we headed in.
Day 3: With plenty of tuna already we decided to focus on other species. Trolled for wahoo (see the theme?) for 3 1/2 hours. It is one fish I have never gotten and I want. A couple of bonita hits and Jack's rod goes off.He fought for at least 20 minutes and it broke off, hit a dorado colored rapalla 18, checking the lure it had some good teeth marks and one of the prongs on the front treble hooks was bent. Didn't see it but think it was a pretty good size fish. got on more hit, no hook set but another rapalla,blue, with a nice gash in the side. Decided to try for pargo, a few drifts in got a nice yellowtail. Pancho got a call on the radio about the big tuna so we decided to try for them. Ran out quite a ways and could not find the other boat or the porpoise. called them on the radio and they said the tuna had gone deep, they had landed a few with the smallest being 30#. We looked around for a few more minutes and decided to try pargo again.Nothing doing but a trigger, so we decided a couple more drifts and try for dorado before we go in. Then whammo! A freight train hit my Avet LX with 40# test on it. Even with the drag buttoned down it schooled me straight to the rocks and gone. A couple of more drifts and we headed to troll for dorado, catching 3 before we had to head in.
All said, a great trip! Weather was great not too hot. Brought 2 cousins that have never been to La Paz before and they had a blast. Plenty of fish for the freezer, good food and beer.
Sorry for no pictures but I cannot figure out how to get them here, if you are interested they are on photobucket, my name is acadist and the album is La Paz 8-2010.

bajabass - 8-20-2010 at 05:17 PM

Thanks for the great report Acadist. Nice to know there are fish in La Paz! I'll be moving down in a couple months. Sounds like a great trip!!

woody with a view - 8-20-2010 at 05:19 PM

good times.

Alan - 8-20-2010 at 07:08 PM

Great report. Heading down again in Oct. Any size to the dorado yet?

acadist - 8-20-2010 at 10:33 PM

No size, mostly schoolies, largest for us was 15# on my old school scale. Better than Loreto and Mulege though, stopped in and it is bad, very few and very small fish. Water is nice, the weather seems too cool for it the water to heat up alot. Really expected sweltering temps, Weds was sunny but windy and very comfortable, clouds (and rain) thursday all day, Friday warmer but still nice with a rain shower in the afternoon.
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan

[Edited on 8-21-2010 by acadist]

acadist - 8-20-2010 at 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
Actually got bigger dorado last December:spingrin:

Alan - 8-21-2010 at 08:05 AM

I know what you mean. Last year was a great year. Here is our run to the bouys in June of last year

La Paz May 2009 001.JPG - 50kB

woody with a view - 8-21-2010 at 08:29 AM

a bigger case of dorado envy there never was!

MitchMan - 8-21-2010 at 09:41 AM

Now those are the sizes that one used to catch all the time back in the 90's.

acadist - 8-21-2010 at 10:25 AM

and another nice tail on the beach..................

Alan - 8-21-2010 at 10:51 AM

Yes there were three, almost cookie cutter. We each kept one and gave the third to our panguero.