BajaNomad

best way to secure outboard for rough road travel

dizzyspots - 8-23-2010 at 07:34 PM

car topping a tinnie for Gonzaga Bay
best tips on securing 9.9 2 stroke (off boat obviously) for off road travel?
any ideas...I do have a rear "trailer hitch shelf" (driving an FJ Cruiser with ARB roof rack)

Mike

bajaguy - 8-23-2010 at 07:59 PM

Remove wife or passenger, place motor on seat and seatbelt in, place wife or passenger on the hitch hauler platform and bungee down.....check every 200 miles or so....:lol:.

I agree with the Abductor......too much vibration....put it inside if at all possible

Santiago - 8-23-2010 at 08:11 PM

Try to get it between the axels. Bajaguy is pretty near right. Old sleeping bags work well as wraps.

Bob and Susan - 8-24-2010 at 05:16 AM

it ONLY weighs 100 pounds

put it outside or you'll smell gas the entire trip

Pompano - 8-24-2010 at 05:41 AM

Consider a regular hitch hauler, which plugs into the receiver and offers a roughly 2x4' "bed" with 2' high sides. They usually have a 500# capacity, which would be plenty for your outboard and carry it low enough to not upset the balance of your vehicle.

I also use one on the back of my motorhome..designed to haul 500lbs. Your outboard weighs nothing and will lay flat cushioned by cardboard, pads, or whatever you like.

I wouldn't want to put a 200# load on a vertical post and expect my receiver to take the torque that could put on it on a rough road.

You could also use one of these supports sold by U-Haul, but I don't like them for hauling outboards. More for bikes, mother-in-laws,etc. About $120 bucks, but you can make one yourself for $25.

[Edited on 8-24-2010 by Pompano]

tow hitch bar.jpg - 37kB

Pompano - 8-24-2010 at 05:48 AM

fishabductor..opps. I am still making my coffee...will wake up soon.

Stuff the engine in the back seat and go.

[Edited on 8-24-2010 by Pompano]