BajaNomad

Road from Mikes Sky Ranch to Meling Ranch

John M - 8-31-2010 at 04:51 AM

Anyone traveled this route lately?

Planning to do it in early October.

John M

DirkEXC - 8-31-2010 at 08:10 AM

If you are on a bike it's great fun, in anything else I hope you have a short wheel base and lockers front and rear.

David K - 8-31-2010 at 08:16 AM

Five years ago... photos and a detailed road log with mileage and travel time from Hwy. 1 (San Telmo) to Hwy. 3 (San Matias) via Mike's Sky Rancho: http://vivabaja.com/905/

The only 4WD, low range part is the long grade climbing up from Mike's as you head south to the Observatory road (which is now paved).

arbee - 8-31-2010 at 08:25 AM

If you haven't been there recently, the road is not the same as five years ago. It is much more difficult due to the storms that blew through there last winter. Like DirkeEXC said, it is fun on a moto.

Cyanide41 - 8-31-2010 at 08:58 AM

I took that road last October from Melings to Mikes, I don't think I ever took it out of 4wd high and I don't have lockers or a short wheel base. I did get stop by some troops in a hummer out in the middle of no where.

TMW - 8-31-2010 at 09:01 AM

A few months ago someone indicated Mike Jr was bull dozing the road toward Rancho Coyote. There hasn't been any races thru Mikes for over a year and the 1000 won't go thru there this year so someone should make a trip and report the progress.

John M you may be the one telling us. I'm not heading down until the 1000 opens for pre-running, sometime after the Off-Road Expo Oct 8-10 in Pomona.

for dirkEXC??

John M - 8-31-2010 at 12:00 PM

When did you last travel the route, or hear of its conditions?

John M

DirkEXC - 8-31-2010 at 02:46 PM

I think Baja has had its fair share of damage since last October. I rode into Mikes last April and the road was washed out in several places but as the Baja people do there were good routs around the washouts. I was in San Quintin last weekend and I happen to notice just a few of the bridges on the way down had been washed out and were in the proces of being replaced with 4 lane bridges.

Look at some of Astobaja posts where they were stranded for a few days before the Racers and Rancers crowd came and helped with the washed out road.

To answer your question I had some friends ride from Mikes to San Telmo/the Highway about a month ago and they said it was doable on a bike but a truck may be a different story. I will get exact condition and u2u.

David K - 8-31-2010 at 07:12 PM

John M has a 4WD Tacoma, so he has the upper hand of off road able trucks!

I would think, Mike Leon Jr. would have used their tractor to scrape the washouts after the winter rains.. But, until a Nomad we know can post details and photos of the road heading up the mountain from Mike's, it is anyone's guess. The washed out bridges are from accumilated water flow at the base of the mountains, near the coast... Mikes' is at 4,000 feet, quite a ways up the water flow, damage would be less, as the streams are smaller. For sure, they can be mud and boulder slides to deal with... as at Rancho Concepcion's road (not too far south of Mike's).

TMW - 9-1-2010 at 08:56 AM

Well why don't some of us go done there and find out what is doable and what isn't. We could check out the road to Rancho Coyote and maybe visit Astrobaja and see if it goes thru to Mikes, with his permission of course.

David K - 9-1-2010 at 09:13 PM

Yes, good idea! :yes::yes::yes:

TMW - 9-2-2010 at 08:14 AM

I emailed Tim Morton about doing the road toward Coyote in my GMC 4x4 and here is his reply.

["I haven't been up there in a couple months but I'd say NO it's not doable between Mikes-Coyote.
It was torn up really bad. It won't be passable by basic 4WD until a tractor goes thru. It is passable by hard-core jeeps right now."]

Ramon - 9-3-2010 at 09:13 PM

Went thru there a few weeks ago. 4 bikes, 2 full size 4x4 trucks. The trail right out of Mikes is tore up pretty good. Rutted, off cambers, wash outs, boulder strewn..... totally doable with a higher clearance truck and 4wd helps for sure. Storms last year added to an already rough trail. The trucks blew 2 sidewalls on Mickey Thompsons and we had 1 tube to change out mid trail on a bike. No sweat. Go for it.

David K - 9-3-2010 at 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramon
Went thru there a few weeks ago. 4 bikes, 2 full size 4x4 trucks. The trail right out of Mikes is tore up pretty good. Rutted, off cambers, wash outs, boulder strewn..... totally doable with a higher clearance truck and 4wd helps for sure. Storms last year added to an already rough trail. The trucks blew 2 sidewalls on Mickey Thompsons and we had 1 tube to change out mid trail on a bike. No sweat. Go for it.

You see, that is the 'can-do' spirit we need here on Nomad!
John, put the Taco in L4 and lock the rear differential in front of Mike's bar... If your Taco is an '09 or newer Off Road TRD 4WD, turn on the A-TRAC instead of the locker (for turning ease and front traction, too).

irenemm - 9-3-2010 at 10:57 PM

astrobaja was here this past tuesday. we talked about the road up to his place and up to the top all is good.
He did not say anything about rancho meiling or mike's
if i hear from him i will tell him to post
go for the adventure life is short.

Thanks Irenemm

John M - 9-4-2010 at 05:58 AM

Where is "his place"

Above Meling Ranch?

John

wessongroup - 9-4-2010 at 06:27 AM

Just took your trip, on the computer of course....

Great job, thanks for all the work..

Really interesting adventure for me.... thanks again...

TMW - 9-4-2010 at 09:55 AM

John M Astrobaja's place is off the Observatory road just past the Meling Ranch at KM 68 called La Concepcion about 2 miles from the hwy. From Mikes Sky Ranch if you go left when you cross the water the turn off is 6 miles turn left for another 4 miles to his place.

TMW - 9-4-2010 at 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramon

Sounds to me like some road building is needed. Ken and his Jeepsters are the ones that should lead this cleanup. Excess rocks can be loaded in DKs truck for landscapingwith the sprinkers.

Well Ken, are you going to wear out that Jeep on the SoCal hwys are doing good work in Baja?

David K - 9-4-2010 at 10:08 AM

:lol::lol::lol:

irenemm - 9-4-2010 at 03:25 PM

John M
thanks to TW for the directions I have never been there only up to the Observatory.
I just know from here Vicente Guerrero it is at least a 3 hour drive.
beautiful area

TMW - 9-11-2010 at 09:34 AM

Well that thing won't have any problems getting out of Mikes or anywhere else. Pole Line Road here he comes.

Baja Lies...

Ken Cooke - 9-11-2010 at 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Well that thing won't have any problems getting out of Mikes or anywhere else. Pole Line Road here he comes.

I'm just joking here. No, I didn't sell the Rubicon - it's a classic that I wouldn't part ways with. Just telling some "Baja Lies" to raise a few eyebrows.:lol::P

astrobaja - 9-19-2010 at 09:31 AM

Hi John and all,

Sorry did'nt see the thread until this am. Well we just had a 4X4 club from TJ pass through yesterday on their way on up to the observatorio. They came from Mikes with jeeps and landcruisers. They said there was only one sorta scary part where the road does a steep dip and turn where you are on quite a lateral angle (like the passenger can easily touch the ground!) but nobody has rolled yet and at least 3 bigger cars tours have been through this summer! Closer to our ranch the "road" more resembles a streambed (which it will remain cause I dont own a dozer) with lots of rocks and sand. This tour was a great bunch we joked about getting the road fixed and they exclaimed no es nuestro divsersion! As for the road to coyote I've been told you can almost get there but the end part just before the ranch is unpassable, this may have been fixed but I've not heard it confirmed. Our road to the main road is passable in a corvette (with offroad tires ;>;) Stop by and we can give you a little tour over a brew!

TMW - 9-27-2010 at 08:38 AM

This from Bajabrother who just went thru there:

Well here is the low down.
Both roads leading into Mikes are in great shape. As you leave Mikes to the s/w (to the right looking at mikes) up the hill parralell the San Rafeal and climb out, the road is in desent shape and passable in a 4wd high ground clearence vehicle.
As you make the top and go over towards the simpson merge there is alot of exposed rock through there. As you drop down th False Corral turn off there is a new right hand turn to enter false corral. Just past or s/o the old one. Open the gate go through and it is doable in a 4wd/prerunner. The old turn to False Corral is well marked and blocked, do not enter with an arrow pointing to the new garita.

DO NOT, DO NOT go past this gate in ANY 4 wheel vehicle, period.
We did on bikes at night and it was a challenge. Very torn up from the rains and not really burned in yet from bike travel.

Only a Dozer or motos will get through there eventually.

David K - 9-27-2010 at 09:13 AM

What/ where is this 'false corral'?

TMW - 9-27-2010 at 10:16 AM

I don't know. I'll have to ask him.

TMW - 9-28-2010 at 06:34 AM

Here is what Bajabrother had to say about the location.

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 2:24 PM, <bajabrother@gmail.com> wrote:

If you are reading SCORE race notes it my be confusing to you. If you have a Baja Almanac look at page 11 (old edition)

Maybe 1/2 mile s/o the Simpson merge heading south down the hill you will come to the oak tree grove and right or west turn to El Corral Falso. that has now been blocked and 100 yards s/o that turn is the new gate.

Point is stay out of La Concepcion drainage, no bueno for cars only moto's

Los Encinos and La Concepcion are no bueno

[Edited on 9-28-2010 by TW]

MAPS

David K - 9-28-2010 at 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Here is what Bajabrother had to say about the location.

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 2:24 PM, <bajabrother@gmail.com> wrote:

If you are reading SCORE race notes it my be confusing to you. If you have a Baja Almanac look at page 11 (old edition)

Maybe 1/2 mile s/o the Simpson merge heading south down the hill you will come to the oak tree grove and right or west turn to El Corral Falso. that has now been blocked and 100 yards s/o that turn is the new gate.

Point is stay out of La Concepcion drainage, no bueno for cars only moto's

Los Encinos and La Concepcion are no bueno

[Edited on 9-28-2010 by TW]

The 2003 (out of print) Baja Almanac Map 11, left half:

A close up of the are of discussion:

As we can see, El Corral Falso is the name of an arroyo.

It is 3.2 miles from Mike's Sky Rancho up to the Simpson Ranch road ...

and another 1.9 miles to the fork mentioned by 'bajabrother' where a west turn goes down Arroyo El Corral Falso (and on to El Coyote Ranch via the north/ west road).

A south turn at that fork goes down to Arroyo Los Encinos, in 2.2 miles meets the road coming from Los Encinos and Astro Baja's B & B (the old way) La Concepcion.

It is 4.5 more miles to reach the entrance road to El Coyote and south 4.7 miles to the Observatory paved road near Meling Ranch.

David K - 9-28-2010 at 03:24 PM

Map with mileages along the route we took in 2005. Photos at http://vivabaja.com/905

Ken Cooke - 9-28-2010 at 06:24 PM

Looks like a new Baja Grande route.:bounce:

David K - 9-28-2010 at 09:17 PM

Could be Ken... I did get my Tacoma through... so you Jeep boys might be able to, as well! :lol:

TMW - 10-2-2010 at 03:57 PM

The Baja 500 and 1000 races that did the full Mikes loop would run south out of Mikes to Bajastros turn off (some actually took it for a loop around Santa Cruz, Valladares, El Sauzalito and back to El Coyote off road) then to El Coyote and around thru the El Corral Falso area to Simpsons turnoff. In the 04 or 05 500 race they ran the loop backwards and went up Simpsons hill. Big bottleneck. The other bottleneck was at the hill about half way between the two Los Encinos on the second map. It turned to silt and cars were stuck. The second bottleneck was the worse as several cars were stuck all night and didn't get out until the race was over.

Ken Cooke - 10-2-2010 at 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Could be Ken... I did get my Tacoma through... so you Jeep boys might be able to, as well! :lol:

My Ford Ranger made it back in 2002.:!:

David K - 10-2-2010 at 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:

Being towed out on a trailer doesn't count Ken... ;D

Ken Cooke - 10-2-2010 at 10:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Being towed out on a trailer doesn't count Ken... ;D

That was in 2001 - The transmission was low on fluid and siezed up in the Vallecitos section of the Sierra San Pedro Martir park.

In 2002, I traveled with Andrew (r.i.p.) and wife Gretchen and the Rebel 4x4 Club. We did not see any sections that were as extreme as have been described on-line or on video, but there are always routes to explore.

David K - 10-2-2010 at 10:22 PM

I am just having fun with you amigo... I know you got rid of that truck not long after the 2001 trip...

Ken Cooke - 10-2-2010 at 11:32 PM

Quote:
I am just having fun with you amigo... I know you got rid of that truck not long after the 2001 trip...

Would you believe me if I told you the truck is now for sale 2 blocks away from my house at the Corvette Superstore car lot? :yes:

astrobaja - 10-3-2010 at 10:54 AM

I beg to differ about the route through to Concepcion being "no bueno"!

We had a Mexcan tour of jeeps and toyotas through just yesterday!! Word is the road to Coyote is unpassable right as one nears their ranch.

Actually we have had 3-4 Mexican car tours through in the last 2 months.

BajaGringo - 10-3-2010 at 11:07 AM

We have been up to Mike's place at Rancho Concepcion a couple of times in the last month or so. 4wd is nice but most 2wd vehicles should make it as long as long as you aren't in a hurry and have enough ground clearance.

Edited to add - most of the road in fact is in pretty good condition, just a few spots where you need to be careful maneuvering around some bad spots, which is where you will need to watch your ground clearance.

[Edited on 10-3-2010 by BajaGringo]

Route from Mike's

John M - 10-4-2010 at 09:06 PM

So, TW & David, we'd follow the route of the map David posted, avoiding the blocked gate to El Corral Falso, taking instead a route a hundred yards further - then on to Meling Ranch.

We may try it.

John M

David K - 10-4-2010 at 10:38 PM

Let us know how it was and take photos/ mileages, etc.

TMW - 10-5-2010 at 08:37 AM

John that is correct. The turn is 1.9 miles past the Simpson jct. There is or was a sign there. It goes down a long hill with a turn to the right. It meets from the left the road from Astrobajas jct in 2.2 miles.

I've heard from off road bikers that El Coyote is a pretty good place to stay and the food is very good. I haven't tried it myself but if you have a chance I'd like to have a report on it.

David K - 10-5-2010 at 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
John that is correct. The turn is 1.9 miles past the Simpson jct. There is or was a sign there. It goes down a long hill with a turn to the right. It meets from the left the road from Astrobajas jct in 2.2 miles.

I've heard from off road bikers that El Coyote is a pretty good place to stay and the food is very good. I haven't tried it myself but if you have a chance I'd like to have a report on it.

[Edited on 10-5-2010 by David K]

StevenB - 10-6-2010 at 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW

TW, I rode this 2 weeks ago on the way from Mike's to El Coyote. The traditional turn into El Corral Falso in the oak tree grove is blocked by a downed tree. A sign says El Coyote to the left. You get around the downed tree by going about 40 feet (not several hundred yards) west on the road then turning RIGHT onto a freshly graded dirt road. An unlocked gate must be open and shut. Then it's smooth sailing to El Coyote. If you do not make this right turn, you will find the old route to El Coyote through Los Encinos Canyon is washed away and passable only be the heartiest dirt bikers. We rode to El Coyote through Los Encinos, came back through Corral Falso.

David K - 10-6-2010 at 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by StevenB
Quote:
Originally posted by TW

TW, I rode this 2 weeks ago on the way from Mike's to El Coyote. The traditional turn into El Corral Falso in the oak tree grove is blocked by a downed tree. A sign says El Coyote to the left. You get around the downed tree by going about 40 feet (not several hundred yards) west on the road then turning RIGHT onto a freshly graded dirt road. An unlocked gate must be open and shut. Then it's smooth sailing to El Coyote. If you do not make this right turn, you will find the old route to El Coyote through Los Encinos Canyon is washed away and passable only be the heartiest dirt bikers. We rode to El Coyote through Los Encinos, came back through Corral Falso.

Surprised a chain saw wasn't applied to it by now? If it is the same one, it fell during the 2005 fire and it was still smoking when we passed by... we were maybe the second car to use the detour track around it. Here are two pics from my web page http://vivabaja.com/905 :

I stand in front of the fallen oak that blocked the road. One car and some bikers had made a detour through the brush before we arrived.

cjesme - 10-7-2010 at 07:52 AM

There are 8 of us going to Rancho El Coyote/ Meling Ranch Oct. 10-11.
First time for all of us! Hope the road is ok because I am taking my Equinox all wheel drive.

David K - 10-7-2010 at 07:59 AM

wow... good luck!:rolleyes: (you will need it if you are going via Mike's Sky Rancho from the north).

If you are coming from west, via the observatory road, piece of cake... all paved except the last 5 miles to El Coyote which are graded and easy.

[Edited on 10-7-2010 by David K]

TMW - 10-7-2010 at 09:47 AM

Thanks Steven.

cjesme let us know how it is.

RufusTheDoofus - 9-16-2011 at 05:36 AM

Any recent trip reports about the road's south of Mike's Sky Ranch? Passable by 4WD or still more of a dirtbikes-only situation?

Roofus -

John M - 9-16-2011 at 06:05 AM

We did not do the Mike's to Meling route on the trip with the thread you have found. Plans changed. We have not seen any further discussion on the route. Sometimes it's bad and sometimes it's not so bad.

I have not seen a 2011 Baja 1000 map but if the course uses that road then I'd think it would be passable.

John M

Ken Cooke - 9-16-2011 at 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
[Well Ken, are you going to wear out that Jeep on the SoCal hwys are doing good work in Baja?

On my way to work THIS VERY MORNING, I used my FRONT/REAR LOCKERS (not e-brake A-trak), as I passed a BURIED Nissan PATHFINDER 4WD! Yes, this is on my way to WORK at 7:15 a.m. Gotta love living in the Inland Empire!

To answer your question, my Rubicon earns every letter on its' hood during my roundtrip commute!:bounce:

David K - 9-17-2011 at 07:27 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by TW
[Well Ken, are you going to wear out that Jeep on the SoCal hwys are doing good work in Baja?

On my way to work THIS VERY MORNING, I used my FRONT/REAR LOCKERS (not e-brake A-trak), as I passed a BURIED Nissan PATHFINDER 4WD! Yes, this is on my way to WORK at 7:15 a.m. Gotta love living in the Inland Empire!

To answer your question, my Rubicon earns every letter on its' hood during my roundtrip commute!:bounce:

I don't want to battle the merrits of a 'smart' traction system vs. good 'ol time lockers here, but so the folks know the difference:

Lockers (locking differentials) lock the rotation of both tires per axle together. One tire cannot rotate more than the other. This is good when one tire is in the air or in loose, no-traction soil. The other tire on firm ground powers you ahead. This is bad when you need to turn a corner or maneuver your rig through tight spots because when you turn the tires all 4 tires need to rotate at a different speed. Constant un-locking and locking of the differential (specially the front differential) is required.

Active Traction Control (A-TRAC) uses spin sensors at each tire and the ABS brake system. If one tire begins to spin, the brakes are applied to that tire in order to match it to the rotation of the other tire on that axle. The effect of equal power to both tires is achieved, just like with a locker. The benefit is that steering is uneffected and you do not need to turn the A-TRAC off to maneuver tight trails.

A-TRAC is included on all 2009+ Toyota Tacoma Off Road TRD 4WDs, as well as models of the Tundra, the 4Runner, Land Cruiser, FJ Cruiser and some Lexus 4WDs. A-TRAC does make some noise when it operates, and may not be as 'smooth' as lockers... But when it comes to maneuvering a tight trail where maximum traction is needed, it can't be beat.

The Off Road Tacoma also has a rear locking differential, but the A-TRAC offers more traction since it operates on the front tires, too.

Begging the question...

Ken Cooke - 9-17-2011 at 08:09 AM

Quote:

Lockers (locking differentials) lock the rotation of both tires per axle together. One tire cannot rotate more than the other. This is good when one tire is in the air or in loose, no-traction soil. The other tire on firm ground powers you ahead. This is bad when you need to turn a corner or maneuver your rig through tight spots because when you turn the tires all 4 tires need to rotate at a different speed. Constant un-locking and locking of the differential (specially the front differential) is required.

If your vehicle is set up with Limited Slip differentials (by default), then why would it benefit from A-trak? The Rubicon system is seemless when used accordingly to the terrain. If you need to make tight turns while fully locked, perhaps you don't need to have 100% torque applied to the ground (by that particular wheel).

While it is rare that I need to use my Front locking differential, I am glad to know it is there in the rare circumstances where my Interco tires do not have enough traction.

[Edited on 9-17-2011 by Ken Cooke]

David K - 9-17-2011 at 08:23 AM

A-TRAC is not a limited slip differential... they allow slippage, sometimes taking a long time to engage... A-TRAC is almost instant... very close to lockers... but way more firm (stronger) than limited slip.

The electronic/brake limited slip that ALL Toyotas now have is called TRAC... with a selectable setting in 2WD called 'AUTO LSD' (no engine output regulation).

My truck has TRAC, but being a 4WD Off Road Tacoma it also has A-TRAC. The A-TRAC Toyotas have a hydraulic brake booster for stronger, faster 'locking' of any non-traction tire. ALL other Tacomas have a vacuum brake booster.

Ken Cooke - 9-17-2011 at 08:25 AM

But do you like all of this brake-assisted traction?

After having full locking control, I don't think I would be satisfied with this A-TRAC system.

David K - 9-17-2011 at 08:43 AM

Quote:
But do you like all of this brake-assisted traction?

After having full locking control, I don't think I would be satisfied with this A-TRAC system.

I love it because it works fantastic... I have proved how well it works more than once... Perhaps this time I needed to use it was the most telling...

Elizabeth and I were wheeling in some hills between San Marcos and Hwy. 15... lots of roads with deep ruts going steeply up and down hills. I was backing down one grade and accidentally drove into a pair of ruts and became high centered on my differential and spare tire (both rear tires were off the ground)... Now, I was pointed up hill and being off road the soil under the front tires was not uniform. One tire would spin and the good traction tire would do nothing, normally.

The A-TRAC was on, I gave the truck some gas... and with just one tire in front, pointing up a steep hill, the A-TRAC pulled my truck out of the ruts. My impression was "WOW... this thing works just like having front lockers"!

In another situation (actually the very first time I used A-TRAC), I was wheeling on the beach at Bahia Santa Maria in H4 (4WD-HI), with tires at 32 psi using TRAC (limited slip)... Which was the first time I could drive with ease on the beach without deflating... To see if it wasn't a fluke of conditions, I turned off the TRAC and went to just normal open differentials (still High Range 4WD)... Almost right away, my truck got stuck... it was crazy, but proved that Toyota's electronic traction system really enhanced the 4WD making any or all 4 tires with traction get power instead of just the tires without traction.

So, now that I was burried... I could have (and normally would have) let the air out of my tires, cleared away the sand, and drove out. However, instead I turned on the A-TRAC and gave it the gas... some strange sounds (normal for A-TRAC) were produced... and the truck drove out of the stuck! I returned to H4, TRAC ON and drove on as before! A-TRAC made the truck feel like a tractor.

I have not found anyplace where my truck cannot go or becomes stuck... but I will continue to search!

Viva Toyota 4WD TRAC and A-TRAC!

Ken Cooke - 9-17-2011 at 02:17 PM

Quote:

I have not found anyplace where my truck cannot go or becomes stuck... but I will continue to search!

Viva Toyota 4WD TRAC and A-TRAC!

Let's visit the stranded Suzuki Samauri where Caņon Enmedio drops off the cliff and see if you can follow me near the waterfall and back up to Basketball Hill! Those boulders swallowed the Samurai and were a blast with my 4:1 low-range!

David K - 9-17-2011 at 03:10 PM

OK... BRING IT ON!

RufusTheDoofus - 9-17-2011 at 07:56 PM

I've got ARB air lockers in my 1980 HJ45 Land Cruiser Troopy. The stock transfer case has a 2.27:1 low range. The Marlin Crawler dual case setup has 4.7:1 gearing. First gear is 3.55:1. Low-low in 1st gear gives a 155:1 ratio at the rear axle. I can typically putt-putt my way through most anything.

TMW - 9-17-2011 at 08:43 PM

The Toyota traction systems were designed to control the vehicle on curves and slippery roads. There effectiveness off road is just a bonus so to speak.

TMW - 9-17-2011 at 08:48 PM

If the car/truck manufatures could design an ABS system that works off road I would be really impressed. GM has the best just pull the 60 amp fuse in the engine compartment. That allows the proportioning valve to work where the 10 amp fuse by the drivers dash side doesn't.

David K - 9-17-2011 at 11:56 PM

The ABS is disabled when you are in Low Range 4WD on the Tacoma. I would have liked it also to not work in 4-Hi on my 2005... It is much much better on my 2010.

The '05 would almost crash into things as the brakes wouldn't brake well on wet or dirt roads... dealer said that was 'normal' for ABS. The '10 has been great.

VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) uses TRAC, but has seperate duties and sensors and prevents the truck from spinning out of control if driver over-correction occurs at speed.

The driver can diable the TRACTION systems if he desires open differential running with free spinning tires... otherwise:

2WD TRAC (limited slip, with engine regulation) helps the truck move from a stop by reducing tire spin.

2WD AUTO LSD (limited slip, without regulation) helps get moving from a stuck. Like Posi-Traction, very helpful for those with 2WD only trucks.

4WD TRAC (limited slip, without regulation) helps keep the truck moving through unequal road surfaces.

4WD A-TRAC (almost no slip) keeps the truck moving over surfaces that would otherwise halt movement.

HELP!! I AM GETTING CONFUSED!!

Ken Cooke - 9-18-2011 at 06:27 AM

Quote:
The ABS is disabled when you are in Low Range 4WD on the Tacoma. I would have liked it also to not work in 4-Hi on my 2005... It is much much better on my 2010.

The '05 would almost crash into things as the brakes wouldn't brake well on wet or dirt roads... dealer said that was 'normal' for ABS. The '10 has been great.

VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) uses TRAC, but has seperate duties and sensors and prevents the truck from spinning out of control if driver over-correction occurs at speed.

The driver can diable the TRACTION systems if he desires open differential running with free spinning tires... otherwise:

2WD TRAC (limited slip, with engine regulation) helps the truck move from a stop by reducing tire spin.

2WD AUTO LSD (limited slip, without regulation) helps get moving from a stuck. Like Posi-Traction, very helpful for those with 2WD only trucks.

4WD TRAC (limited slip, without regulation) helps keep the truck moving through unequal road surfaces.

4WD A-TRAC (almost no slip) keeps the truck moving over surfaces that would otherwise halt movement.

I am so happy that my Jeep includes none of this MOMMY-tuning from the factory in OHIO. The Honda that I drive occassionally has so much MOMMY Hen-pecking from the factory, that you cannot make the front tires spin out! BOO!

David K - 9-18-2011 at 10:22 AM

A spinning tire has no traction my friend (and a rolling stone gathers no moss) :lol:

Don't be affraid of new technology... and as I said, you can turn off the traction controls so you will have just plain old open differentials where the tires with less traction get the power... plus the Off Road Tacoma still has a locking rear differential.

Spinning tires also damage the terrain, making ruts and increasing erosion... All I can say is don't knock it until you try it. The A-TRAC allows me to go places with confidence... and that is key as I usually don't go four wheeling in groups like you do, so I need a vehicle that will not break down or get stuck!

No more All-Terrain tires on a road like this for me!

Ken Cooke - 12-6-2011 at 07:14 PM

Quote:
John M has a 4WD Tacoma, so he has the upper hand of off road able trucks!

I would think, Mike Leon Jr. would have used their tractor to scrape the washouts after the winter rains.. But, until a Nomad we know can post details and photos of the road heading up the mountain from Mike's, it is anyone's guess. The washed out bridges are from accumilated water flow at the base of the mountains, near the coast... Mikes' is at 4,000 feet, quite a ways up the water flow, damage would be less, as the streams are smaller. For sure, they can be mud and boulder slides to deal with... as at Rancho Concepcion's road (not too far south of Mike's).

I'd love to hit that trail. Maybe in May when I have time off. My Rubicon is getting new tires early next year, so with enough support, I wouldn't mind doing it.

In my Ford Ranger, I slipped past the boulder that blocks part of the route. My spotter (Gretchen) got real nervous since I had open differentials and near a cliff, I began to lose traction. No more All-Terrain tires on a road like this for me.:!:

This is why I bought the Rubicon with factory lockers (front AND rear) in order to handle sections of Baja trail like this. I also plan on running a capable Mud-Terrain tire with extreme traction in order that my runs are safe.