BajaNomad

Speaking of Catching Marlin Barehanded

Iflyfish - 9-4-2010 at 02:01 PM

Has anyone used these?

I fished Hood Canal two weeks ago, three casts, three fish.

http://www.banjominnowstore.com/Techniques.aspx

Iflyfishwhennottrollingandcasting

Iflyfish - 9-4-2010 at 05:21 PM

The Columbia River, bordering Oregon and Washington States, had the best sockeye run since 1943. The Frazier is having its best run since 1923! No one knows exactly why, but it is the linch pin for many lakes as they lay their eggs, die and feed the phyloplancton which feed the zooplancton which feed the smolt and kokanee which feed the carniverous trout!! God love 'em and welcome back. We use egg patterns off the feeder streams in lakes that carry sockeye runs, life is good out and about in the bush eh?!

I landed two shark and a flounder on Banjo minnows.

I have berkeley crabs in a jar with scent and I really don't care if they eat all of my lures!! Life is short and these things are cheap. I also carrry Krocks, cedar, twister tails, jigs....oh, my. You get the picture, a tackle store on wheels.

I love to eat trigger fish, delicious. Been a while, but remember their firm white flesh from a long stay one winter in Conception the year the road opened.....heaven!!!

Iflyfish

banjo minnow

stimbo - 9-4-2010 at 06:30 PM

I've always wondered if those things worked as well as they do on TV. Did you heave 'em with a fly rod? Jim

mulegemichael - 9-5-2010 at 06:59 AM

iflyfish, what were you fishing for???....we fished the hood canal yesterday around quilcene for cohos without a grab...they were splashing, and rolling all around us but had lockjaw apparently .....and....the fraser river sockeye run has been upgraded to 34 million fish...not pounds...friends are limiting on sockeye here in the straits of juan de fuca in 30 minutes they are so thick...pretty exciting year

Iflyfish - 9-5-2010 at 11:10 AM

I did not use my fly rod. I used a medium weight spinning rod, let it sink and then did the jerk, drop and the first drop, wham, then wham, then wham. The first two were sharks and the last a halibut or flounder. Then I got jammed in rocks and that was it. The fishing was just a lark as we waited to pull the dungeness crab traps.

I mispoke, the sockey run in the Frazier is the best since 1913. I don't know how one catches sockeye except with a net.

I have fished twister tail sort of jigs in Mexico with success and don't know why these would not work. The video shows them catching marlin and dorado as well as peac-ck bass. The toll however is different with this lure, pull, drop etc. so probably best used with all rods having them or used to jig only. I will report on how they work. I am coming with the standard hardware, lures etc. but am looking forward to trying these.

This trip to Baja will involve a flight to the mainland and one can carry a lot of these easily in a suitcase.

Keep your tips up!!

Iflyfishwhenotdoingothersortsoffishing!

mulegemichael - 9-5-2010 at 11:13 AM

for sockeye the guys that are catching them are using the old herring dodger, 24" leader and a blued bare hook...that's it...some folks are using a tiny, tiny pink or dark red hootchie and doing well also

Iflyfish - 9-5-2010 at 11:18 AM

Now that is odd! Bare hook??? Who'd have thought?! Those are the cavier of the salmon in my opinion. I wonder if they hit the hook our of irritation or to protect their eggs? I don't think that they eat when in the river. Salmon don't eat either but will bit a lure/bait out of instinct and to taste the eggs. At least that is what I have come to understand.

Bare hook???! Blue bare hook no less. Picky buggers!

You never know what you will learn on Nomads!

Iflyfishinwonder

mulegemichael - 9-5-2010 at 02:15 PM

oh, you're talking "flossing" them, huh?...that's pretty popular in local rivers if the water is low and skinny; long, long leaders and a corky...as the lure passes by the lockjawed fish it catches in their mouth while they are breathing and you inadvertantely hook them...and...it's legal...that's called flossing.