BajaNomad

Best fishing? high vs low tide early AM vs Noon

dizzyspots - 9-5-2010 at 12:01 PM

well probably a silly questions but:

going back to Gonzaga Bay...just checked tide tables

high tide is like Noon to 1430 thru the week (or Midnight to 0200 AM)

so which is more important: fishing in early AM OR fishing on the rising tide towards Noon?

does it matter?

David K - 9-5-2010 at 12:09 PM

Where I have surf fished over the years (and many years ago)... on the incoming high tide.

Russ - 9-5-2010 at 12:31 PM

Very good question. I think I'll stay away from this one and see as the ideas collide.;D

Cypress - 9-5-2010 at 12:39 PM

Depends upon where you're fishing. Some folks like a rising tide, some folks like a falling tide. But, rising or falling, a moving tide is best. :yes:

Skipjack Joe - 9-5-2010 at 12:46 PM

Most of the fish that inhabit sandy beaches feed on the intertidal invertebrates that become available during a rising tide (sand crabs). The beaches on the Pacific side are in their prime at this time. But that doesn't apply to Gonzaga.

Tides play a much smaller role for shore fisherman at Gonzaga and vary from spot to spot. I've had better fishing at high tide there. One spot in particular had the fish move out entirely during low tide and come back at high. I've only fished the rocky shoreline at Gonzaga.

Skipjack Joe - 9-5-2010 at 12:53 PM

Oh, and morning and late evening are equally good and better than mid day. That's primarily because baitfish move in close to shore in the evening, stay through the night, and start to move off to deeper water in early morning.

Again, not always true, as sometimes they will hug the shore all day. At times the direction of the wind will determine where they will be also.

Pompano - 9-5-2010 at 01:33 PM

Generally, you never want to fish when it's dead High or dead Low, because those tides are "slack", or without current.

I wouldn't worry TOO much about it. After all, it's not about the fish..it's about the fishing!

woody with a view - 9-5-2010 at 01:40 PM

best time to fish?

when the fish are biting.....

dtbushpilot - 9-5-2010 at 01:48 PM

That's right woody, I typically fish up and down the beach with lures. I've had most success in the afternoon or in the morning but not too early. I might have luck early if I got out of bed then but I usually don't.

If I was going to fish with bait I would fish whenever I had the best opportunity to go but would expect the best luck on an incoming tide.

Me and the pooch just got back from a trip down the beach and back. It was the middle of the day. We caught 4 small roosters and stopped on the way back at Spa Buena Vista for some liquid refreshment for the pooch and some medication for my "low blood alcohol" condition......life is good....dt

mulegemichael - 9-5-2010 at 02:11 PM

i like it best an hour before or after the flood...if this coincides with dawn or dusk, it's even better.

mtgoat666 - 9-5-2010 at 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dizzyspots
so which is more important: fishing in early AM OR fishing on the rising tide towards Noon?

does it matter?

only mad dogs and englishmen go out in the mid-day sun.

GEMcC5150 - 9-5-2010 at 02:55 PM

You all know the best place to fish is when you are next to the water and the best time is always now.

dtbushpilot - 9-5-2010 at 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by dizzyspots

does it matter?

only mad dogs and englishmen go out in the mid-day sun.

Or crazed yorkies and fat gringos......

Russ - 9-5-2010 at 04:08 PM

What! :( No one's going to tell me which moon phase is the best? Isn't that important too?

dtbushpilot - 9-5-2010 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
What! :( No one's going to tell me which moon phase is the best? Isn't that important too?

You should always fish when the moon is up or down.....

tripledigitken - 9-5-2010 at 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ

I was taught that the one that holds water is the best time for fishing.

Russ - 9-5-2010 at 04:33 PM

:light:

Skipjack Joe - 9-5-2010 at 04:54 PM

Full moon, of course.

MB-MoonSmiling-01.jpg - 20kB