BajaNomad

San Quintin

lukeandmegs - 9-7-2010 at 12:10 PM

Hey guys,

I put a post on here a few months back asking for some advice about baja as i was coming over for a 3 month trip from Australia. Well it has finally come around and i am sitting in the surf shop in Ensenada with the missus and a couple of mates. We are heading for San Quintin tomorrow morning to do a spot of fishing and surfing.

Myself and Dave will be looking for a fishing trip out of san quintin while we are there. Can anyone recommend a good offshore fishing charter / locals or a nomad who wants a crew to share fuel / bait costs?

Any advice would be appreciated or if you are in town and want to catch up for a cold one, let us know.

Cheers,

Luke

bajabass - 9-7-2010 at 01:06 PM

Check out K&M Sportfishing. Nice boats, safe, sharp captain.

BajaGringo - 9-7-2010 at 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lukeandmegs

Myself and Dave will be looking for a fishing trip out of san quintin while we are there. Can anyone recommend a good offshore fishing charter / locals or a nomad who wants a crew to share fuel / bait costs?

Any advice would be appreciated or if you are in town and want to catch up for a cold one, let us know.

Cheers,

Luke

Knowing most of the characters down in El Molino very well I personally recommend all my friends and family to Meņos or Tiburon. Good guys, good boats and great local knowledge.

Let me know if you need help hooking up with them...

irenemm - 9-7-2010 at 02:05 PM

Luke and mates Welcome to the Baja
Hope you have a great time and a safe trip.
Remember to drive careful and enjoy the adventure.
Keep in touch with everyone and have fun
Irene

TonyC - 9-7-2010 at 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabass
Check out K&M Sportfishing. Nice boats, safe, sharp captain.

Old Mill (Milino Viejo). Fishing... Garcias (Jamie, or Gordo), Juan, Kelly, Tiburon, or Pedros.

Surfing... Kelly, and his boys (Oscar, Bird, and Christian) know the spots. Kelly's #Call for info (949)370-6532.

DirkEXC - 9-7-2010 at 02:22 PM

I hope you check out Cuatro Casas for surfing on the way down, it breaks best at high tide. It is located just below Colonet and its about 5 to 6 miles off the highway. Ask in the surf shop you are at, I am sure they can point it out on the Map. Richard is the owner and a nice guy.

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 9-7-2010 at 02:26 PM

Hola, sorry but i disagree about tiburon's as they are bandidos as confirmed by a couple of regulars. they gave me one price and upon return demanded a $ 100.00 U.S. more.

k & m, pedro's pangas and juan's and tito's seem to be more legit. k & m gets very good reviews on " bloodydecks.com ".

buy your fishing licenses in ensenada if you're still there as you'll get gouged at the old mill area. everybody on the boat will need one, fishing or not.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

BajaGringo - 9-7-2010 at 02:39 PM

Never heard that about Tiburon and have had lots of family go out with them over the past three years as well as with Meņo (Manuel Casteneda). My guess is that somebody misunderstood the conversation on price - it happens.

I know of many horror stories with some of the other fishing operators that have been recommended by some here in this very same thread but instead of trashing them I prefer to just recommend the operators down here that I have gotten to know, see every day and to whom I have sent dozens and dozens of family/friends to for a day of fishing with nothing but happy results.

Draw your own conclusions and hope you have a great day...

Bajahowodd - 9-7-2010 at 03:30 PM

Seems like everyone has their own winners and losers. Just like a great restaurant can have an off day. What I can add to this discussion is that BajaGringo lives in San Quintin. the Rat, and I'm not in a position to question the veracity of what he says, lives many hundreds of miles South of there. And, just to expand on the subject, it may not have necessarily been bait and switch. I've had my own experiences where getting a quote from someone who is "filling in" at the desk, may not be correct. Happens all the time.

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 9-7-2010 at 03:46 PM

Hola Bajahowodd & bajagringo, once again we are in disagreement about tiburon's. i did negotiate what i wanted to do with the father who speaks very good english as do i prior to our going out the next day.

hundreds of miles difference in location doesn't make a negotiation misunderstood ! greed does !!! as i was by myself, i did disagree but i did bite the bullet.

the person that told me that tiburon's is known for that type of behavior lives in san quintin and does run a popular business and is very well known and is not involved at all in the fishing industry. meaning, he is not a charter fishing competitor.

obviously, i won't disclose who the person is but he is a very trusted, long time businessperson in san quintin.

nonetheless, i won't belabor it here any longer.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Bajahowodd - 9-7-2010 at 04:15 PM

Like I said, I don't doubt what you posted. I just presented my thoughts from the perspective I would use when doing business. Go with the guy who is local. That's all. Pax.

BajaDanD - 9-7-2010 at 04:58 PM

Drive out to the Old Mill you will see all the fishing charter signs and boats along the way
I have fished with Tiburons and not had any problems, But K&M has better boats and better sirvice.
I also like Don Eddies We stay at the hotel and they have nice boats too.

torch - 9-7-2010 at 09:07 PM

captain kelly fishing and surfing

lukeandmegs - 9-8-2010 at 11:52 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone, we will check out the prices of the recommended boats and let you all know how the trip was upon return.

Cheers,
Luke

irenemm - 9-8-2010 at 10:34 PM

BAJA.DESERT.RAT
your pretty right with what you have stated. I know a few who have had problems with Tiburon. I know him from a long long time ago.
I also know Manuel Casteneda he has always been a good guy. Had a trucking Co. in Camalu for years. I sold him my old blazer when he started doing the fishing. My husband worked with him when he was in farming.
Have a few friends that have trailers here with us for the last 30 years and they have been going out with Old Mill and Don Eddie's since 1991. Before that they would go out here off the beach with the local guys and or go up to Camalu fish camp and go with those guys. Lots of choices besides Tiburon.
It is all about the adventure any way.
just have fun and enjoy the ride.

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 9-9-2010 at 11:11 AM

Hola irenemm'

please check your u2u.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

bajajurel - 9-9-2010 at 02:57 PM

Pedros Pangas treated me good.

The best place to stay is at Jardines Baja
http://www.hotel-jardinesbaja.com/index.html

irenemm - 9-10-2010 at 08:42 PM

BAJA.DESERT.RAT
hey i think i might have gotten mixed up with someone else. I am sorry. My son told me that is not the same guy. I am sorry for posting something that could harm someones business. This was a Hugh error on my part.
The guy I know is at the BIG San Quintin fishing bay in the sky.
I am not in the fishing loop like I used to be. I spoke way out of line.
I do know Manuel he just started that a few years ago.
If I offended anyone I am sorry. Especially to you Tiburon. Lo siento mucho amigo.
Irene Martinez
Posada Don Diego
Vicente Guerrero,

[Edited on 9-11-2010 by irenemm]

mcfez - 9-14-2010 at 05:56 PM

Thats a nice website. I saw some quads in a picture....do you know if the Hotel rents them or were the units private?

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajurel
Pedros Pangas treated me good.

The best place to stay is at Jardines Baja
http://www.hotel-jardinesbaja.com/index.html

[Edited on 9-15-2010 by mcfez]