BajaNomad

Viva Mexico, Viva, Viva, Viva!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eli - 9-15-2010 at 06:26 PM

Te Quiero México! Thanks for adopting Me!

O.k., so I am on the new computer, see if I can finally do a short Url. If this works, it's a great night to watch this!

http://youtu.be/QOr612kEOro

David K - 9-15-2010 at 06:27 PM

Viva Mexico y los dos cientos años de independencia!

vandenberg - 9-15-2010 at 06:31 PM

Thanks Eli, very nice.

DENNIS - 9-15-2010 at 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Thanks for adopting Me!

They didn't adopt you. You adopted them. Get it right.
What you left isn't all that bad.

Eli - 9-15-2010 at 06:36 PM

My pleasure Vandenberg!

The adoption was by mutual agreement Dennis.

Never said it was bad up North of the boarder, it is just that I have known since I was 7 years old that Mexico is where I belong.

Skipjack Joe - 9-15-2010 at 06:40 PM

Thanks, Eli. That was very enjoyable. Hope others take the trouble to click on the link.

DENNIS - 9-15-2010 at 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
The adoption was by mutual agreement Dennis.
Never said it was bad up North of the boarder, it is just that I have known since I was 7 years old that Mexico is where I belong.

Good for you, Eli. I'm just a little sensitive about US bashing here....which, of course, you're innocent of.

Thanks for your reply.

Eli - 9-15-2010 at 06:54 PM

Dennis, I would lie if I said I was comfortable going North of the Boarder. Never felt like I belonged there, and only when Dad needed me did I work up the courage to return. Still, I have some wonderfull memories from my years in the States, there are so many beautiful special places there. Ah but, Mexico is home and I expect it always will be. Los Barriles is where my father is buried and my grandchildren were born, it is my only home.

Eli - 9-15-2010 at 06:55 PM

Thanks SkipJack, I finally did it! A short Url, jejeje, took me awhile to figure that one out.

DENNIS - 9-15-2010 at 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Dennis, I would lie if I said I was comfortable going North of the Boarder. Never felt like I belonged there, and only when Dad needed me did I work up the courage to return. Still, I have some wonderfull memories from my years in the States, there are so many beautiful special places there. Ah but, Mexico is home and I expect it always will be. Los Barriles is where my father is buried and my grandchildren were born, it is my only home.

I have a similar affinity for Mexico, Eli. If only I wasn't aware of the changes taking place which are eroding the gratiousness of Mexicans toward their northern neighbor.
Things are changing.............tolerance is changing.............history is becoming a current raison d'etre for acceptance of foreigeners, especially those from the US.
The quiet days are over.
It's nothing like it used to be. When I see college kids here burning US flags, I boil, but not without a sort of fear for my neighbors.
It's a different world here now. I don't know how insulated you are from my world, but I doubt we see the same thing.
I want to see it because it affects me.
You probably don't want to see it for the same reason.

I'm your friend, Eli. Don't take me wrong.

sancho - 9-15-2010 at 07:41 PM

I feel fortunate to live 70 mi. no. of the
border. Started Mex travelling in early 70's,
making, what was at that point, exotic
surfing trips to Ensenada, Quatro Casas.
Picked up a copy of 'The Peoples Guide to
Mexico' 25 yrs. ago, my fate was sealed.
Mex has become a major part of my life.
Have been to 19 of the 30 states,
many colorful adventures.
Love watching the sun rise over the Cortez.
Above that, being born in the US is something
most of us can be thankful for

krafty - 9-15-2010 at 07:50 PM

Love it- Viva Mexico! I borrowed this and posted to my fb acct. Gracias!

Udo - 9-15-2010 at 08:07 PM

Muchissimas gracias, Eli for the rendition in the video. Glad you took the time to learn how to post it.
I saved the link so I can listen to the video at my leisure!

sanquintinsince73 - 9-15-2010 at 08:25 PM

Wow!! Thanks Eli. Being American of Mexican ancestry, that video really moved me. Wow!!

Eli - 9-15-2010 at 09:30 PM

Dennis, I am certainly your friend, after all I am a friendly sort of soul. I admit that I have always walked in my own little world, you are right I don't want to see the problems, I cannot resolve them, so I look for the good where ever I can find it. One of my favorite games is to see if I can get a groucy clerk in a store to smile, not always, but usually I can.

I have always been in awe of the graciousness of humanity, more than not where ever I go people are kind to me. I prefer to walk among the people who live a simple life as I do, maybe that is why. I really don't know why I am so blessed, but I sure do like my world.

bajafam - 9-15-2010 at 09:36 PM

Thanks Eli, your last response made me smile. It is my hope that my children and their children and so on can grow and continue to have a similar attitude. We can all learn something from the graciousness of humanity ~ it's there if we choose to see it. So thank you, I will sleep well tonight with that sentiment in my heart.

And the video was great, too!

Eli - 9-15-2010 at 09:40 PM

And to all of you who enjoy this little gem of a video, I'm glad I could share it with you, I appreciate the smiles I read, what a reward for sharing a little of the joy. For sure the best rendition of "Cielito Linda" that I have ever found, (even if it was produced by Banamex, geezzzzzzz).

bajajudy - 9-15-2010 at 10:18 PM

Just back from celebration in San Jose
VIVA MEXICO

Gracias Eli

frizkie - 9-15-2010 at 10:38 PM

Viva Mexico!!! The look of love in those faces is one of the things that keeps me returning every year to Mexico from Canada for six months of the year every year...:yes:

Bajafun777 - 9-15-2010 at 10:48 PM

Eli, great For The Love & Fun Of Mexico, Viva Mexico, Ay Ay Ay
Take Care & Travel Safe bajafun777

Mulegena - 9-15-2010 at 10:49 PM

Water, it come to me eye...

Wandered down to the main street here in Asuncion tonight for the festivities. A goodly turnout of locals on this weeknight, a gentle night under the stars.

Folk dancers Los Pacificos Nortenos graced the stage set up at the municipal offices. Little children ran about the street responding to the excitement in the air, their little feet mincing steps reflecting the joy of the music and dance. Food and drink available. I scored a cup of champurrada, that warm, rich and soothing chocolate drink-- amazing to find it in summer, its traditionally for winter fetes.

Such a proud and diverse music and dance has Mexico. What a tapestry of geography and culture, the songs so musically sophisticated, the lyrics so powerfully expressive of the identification, love and devotion to the earth itself. The attachment to land which is synonymous with heart and one's sense of self.

Throughout the whole of the evening a detail of soldiers stood at attention to act as Colour Guard of the flag. As a group we stood as the Mexican Flag was displayed, the evening culminating with the song "Viva Mexico, Viva America" and fireworks.

I felt a shift occur in myself, an awareness of deepened respect for these people who love their country, surely, but also love this very earth on which they live.

Eli - 9-16-2010 at 06:21 AM

Mulegena, thank you, that was as beautiful a vision as I have ever read.

Thanks everyone for such a postive thread, love the smiles I read.

Estais siempre en mi corazón

Lee - 9-16-2010 at 06:46 AM

Mexico: sobre las bellas bella.

Gracias, Eli!

k-rico - 9-16-2010 at 07:04 AM

Eli - 9-16-2010 at 07:17 AM

k-rico, powerful video, worth watching more than once. I Love the image of the Angel in motion.

My favorite Dia's de Independecia; Once in San Miguel de Allende, Gto., how dramatic that was. Once in the little village of San Marcos Tlapazola, Oaxaca, I got to shoot some of the best photos of my life, I couldn't believe how the people opened up for the camera that night. Oh and last night alone on the edge of the forest of Vera Cruz just watching a few video's, listening to the silence, feeling the Love of the People for themselves all over Mexico.

k-rico - 9-16-2010 at 07:24 AM

Eli,

I just sent your link and the El Grito link to my relatives in NYC. All they know about Mexico is what's on American TV. "If it bleeds, it leads."

shari - 9-16-2010 at 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Dennis, I am certainly your friend, after all I am a friendly sort of soul. I admit that I have always walked in my own little world, you are right I don't want to see the problems, I cannot resolve them, so I look for the good where ever I can find it. One of my favorite games is to see if I can get a groucy clerk in a store to smile, not always, but usually I can.

I have always been in awe of the graciousness of humanity, more than not where ever I go people are kind to me. I prefer to walk among the people who live a simple life as I do, maybe that is why. I really don't know why I am so blessed, but I sure do like my world.

I almost never use the QUOTE box but in this case i want everyone to read Eli's eloquent post.
This is one of the most wonderful posts I've read here and touches my heart as I feel the same way Eli...gracias por su alma bonita y cielito lindo!!!!!

jorgie - 9-16-2010 at 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Quote:
Originally posted by Eli

I almost never use the QUOTE box but in this case i want everyone to read Eli's eloquent post.
This is one of the most wonderful posts I've read here and touches my heart as I feel the same way Eli...gracias por su alma bonita y cielito lindo!!!!!

shari - 9-16-2010 at 08:20 AM

Gracias Mulegena for such a vivid description of last nights fiesta here...what it lacks in organization, it makes up for in heart...viva mexico...viva tamales!

y K-rico thanks for posting the fireworks ...by far the most outstanding show I've ever seen.

k-rico - 9-16-2010 at 08:22 AM

Shari, thanks for quoting Eli. I hadn't read his post before. His viewpoint is rare, especially upon the violence dwelling Americans who seem to see, or at least talk about, nothing else.

Thanks Eli, very admirable.

Pictures are worth a thousand words..here's 2 thousand

Pompano - 9-16-2010 at 08:28 AM

I've had some joys in life, thankfully. The very best ones are those found in Baja and with it's people.

I agree....VIVA BAJA

durrelllrobert - 9-16-2010 at 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Te Quiero México! Thanks for adopting Me!

O.k., so I am on the new computer, see if I can finally do a short Url. If this works, it's a great night to watch this!

http://youtu.be/QOr612kEOro

very nice! I sent you a U2U :?:

Eli - 9-16-2010 at 09:37 AM

Beautiful Pictures, beautiful words, thanks Shari. Viva Mexico, viva, Viva, VIVA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pompano, I always Love Your pictures and point of view.

K-Rico, glad to share my little world. BTW, Eli is short for Elizabeth, of course my perspective is a woman's, but when I first started posting, I chose to be ambiguous about gender, as the board was rather Macho back than and I wanted to post anonymously with out reference to my sexual identity.

Do you want to be treated like a woman, now?

Lee - 9-17-2010 at 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
.... Eli is short for Elizabeth, of course my perspective is a woman's, but when I first started posting, I chose to be ambiguous about gender, as the board was rather Macho back than and I wanted to post anonymously with out reference to my sexual identity.

Ambiguous about gender? I beg to differ. You chose a unambiguous name -- Eli -- a male and Hebrew name -- and were, accordingly, treated like a man. Without having read past posts, I do not know how macho you were or what you did to avoid sexual and gender identification.

What point are you wanting to make? You've posted for 7 years -- and now, outing yourself?

Viva Mexico. Viva la Revolucion.

shari - 9-17-2010 at 12:54 PM

way to come out of the closet Eli...I always thought you were a woman...never even crossed my mind you were a man!

Of course I was some surprised the first time I met Iflyfish as I was sure he was a she!!!

Hide Your Heart Girl

Skipjack Joe - 9-17-2010 at 01:05 PM

Well, I never thought you were a guy. Your perspective has always been that of a woman.

But now that you mention it, Eli does ring a bell from the past:

eli's comin'
eli's comin'
whoa you better hide your heart
your lovin heart
eli's a comin and the cards say
broken heart
oh broken heart
eli's comin'
hide your heart girl
eli's comin'
hide your heart girl
eli's a comin'
better hide girl
eli's a comin'
better hide your heart
your heart
eli's comin'
hide your heart
you better better hide your heart
eli's comin' better walk walk
but you'll never get away from the burn and the heartache
I walked to apollo and the bay
and everywhere I go
eli's a comin'
eli's a comin'
eli's a comin' and he's comin' to get me mama
I'm down on my knees
eli's comin'
hide it
girl
eli's a comin'
better hide girl
eli's a comin'
better hide your heart
your heart
eli's comin'
hide your heart
you better better hide your heart
eli's comin' better walk
cry but he's never gonna follow
I cried at the corners of the square
and everywhere I go
eli's a comin'
eli's a comin'
eli's a comin' and he comin' to get me mama
I'm down on my knees
I'm down on my knees
oh no no no
hide it
hide it
hide it
hide it
hide it
hide it
hide it
eli's comin' better hide your heart girl

Not the most inspiring lyrics, I'll grant you. It was the rendition.

DENNIS - 9-17-2010 at 01:08 PM

Quote:

Of course I was some surprised the first time I met Iflyfish as I was sure he was a she!!!

Isn't his/her name Raquel? :lol:

Eli - 9-17-2010 at 02:12 PM

I felt we are kind of drifting from the orginal point of this post. So, I have moved my comments in regard to my name to a new post. Shalom.

Lee - 9-17-2010 at 03:27 PM

Quote:

Hey Shari, what made you ''sure'' iflyfish was a chick? What a curious thing to write.

shari - 9-17-2010 at 03:56 PM

well lee...lets just say Ifly is in touch with his feminine side...a sensitive guy...thoughtful...intelligent...you know...chick qualities:lol::lol: and when I laughed and told him I had thought he was a woman on Nomad....he thanked me for the compliment!!!!

Eli - 9-15-2012 at 03:49 PM

Still my all time favorite versions of Cielito Lindo, can't watch it without a few tears running down my cheek, just so grateful to be here. Querida Mexico, viva, Viva, VIVA!!!!!!!!!!!!

jeans - 9-15-2012 at 05:05 PM

The video was delightful and beautifully shot....love the kids!