BajaNomad

Fish in the nets, but none on the beach

aguachico - 9-26-2010 at 03:03 PM

Wat up Nomad people?

Had a great Baja run a few weeks ago. Some of everything inshore, but no exotics offshore. Both the West coast Cali and North east coast are hurting this year.

La Bocana and Abreojos are experiencing high catch counts of grouper and BSB. They are also getting a lot of YT in the nets, deep to 120-200feet.

Can anyone remember this scenario in the past.? :?:

I have been fishing this area for 8 years now. 2003 was strange with YT,grouper and WSB thru February, buy no tuna, dodo's or wahoo.

Salud

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 9-26-2010 at 04:31 PM

Hola aquachico,

it has been a strange year so far.

san quintin white seabass started out grand with whites to about 60 pounds and fizzled real quick. then it was yellows and then the yellowfin and albacore arrived but farther out and then the bite died down and the weather kicked up.

i understand the mid range boats from san diego were fishing the san martin area and cedros yellows. i am not aware if guadalupe island is open to fishing or not which is also in that range, usually, five day trips.

the pacific queen, an overnight to mid range boat from san diego went north to morro bay for the albacore bite but it's not wide open yet. normally when it goes to morro bay, the baja bite has ended.

very strange this year.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

woody with a view - 9-26-2010 at 06:05 PM

making my decisions easier....

acadist - 9-26-2010 at 06:44 PM

Woody, Go to La Paz! They are having a great year!

norte - 9-26-2010 at 07:04 PM

I didn't know the gill nets ran as deep as 200 ft when fished from Pangas.

Quote:
Originally posted by aguachico
Wat up Nomad people?

Had a great Baja run a few weeks ago. Some of everything inshore, but no exotics offshore. Both the West coast Cali and North east coast are hurting this year.

La Bocana and Abreojos are experiencing high catch counts of grouper and BSB. They are also getting a lot of YT in the nets, deep to 120-200feet.

Can anyone remember this scenario in the past.? :?:

I have been fishing this area for 8 years now. 2003 was strange with YT,grouper and WSB thru February, buy no tuna, dodo's or wahoo.

Salud

BajaBlanca - 9-26-2010 at 07:07 PM

so many yellowtail in the nets .... loads ... and finally some caught by our guests today ... more news tomorrow after they fish again :yes::yes:

comitan - 9-26-2010 at 07:22 PM

La Paz has no surf.:lol:

aguachico - 9-26-2010 at 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by norte
I didn't know the gill nets ran as deep as 200 ft when fished from Pangas.

Depth is a good question. My Spanish is not too good as the info was given rapid fire over outboard noise.

monoloco - 9-27-2010 at 06:26 AM

The fish seem to be a little late this year, but they have finally shown up. Went out in the tin boat yesterday and caught our limit of dorado and released 10. My neighbor caught a 50# wahoo.

Pescador - 9-27-2010 at 07:19 AM

The water temps and currents are completely different this year which effects upwellings, and the like. This has definately turned in to a La Nina year which means that the water is colder than normal and it affects the movement of the baitfish. I do not have as much experience on the Pacific side as I do on the Sea of Cortez side, but the last La Nina year that I fished over there, I used live bait and fished a little deeper and did as well as usual. I hate to troll and pull plugs as it does not give me the same kind of contact with the fish, but that has evolved as the main method of fishing at Abreojos, La Bocana, and Asuncion. That means that when the fish are in the upper reaches of the water column they will hit trolled lures, but when they are feeding deeper you either have to get down where they are with live bait, use wire, or a downrigger to get the bait down to the proper depth.
Wahoo, Marlin, and Dorado have shown up pretty well at Lopez-Mateos so they may yet make their way up the coast this fall, but I do not expect them to go as far north as they normally do.
We are having the same kind of strange year on the Sea of Cortez and are finding fish that normally do not show this time of the year, and some, like Dorado that are hardly showing at all.

Cypress - 9-27-2010 at 07:35 AM

norte, Gill nets can be set in deep water, but you need a winch to pull 'em up, too much work for hand-pulling.