BajaNomad

Roosters in the morning

dtbushpilot - 9-30-2010 at 09:38 AM

I noticed a lot of feeding activity this morning unusually tight to the beach. I went down and found tiny pink shrimp washed up in windrows on the beach and a multitude of fish feeding on them. Most of the fish were grunts, mullet and needle fish but I saw an occasional lady fish and pompano so I thought I'd throw a lure. On my first cast a nice rooster swam by and nailed it. It was a good fight on light tackle and he was released to fight another day.....

God, I love it here......dt

cjesme - 9-30-2010 at 09:56 AM

SOUNDS LIKE ONE OF MY FAVORITE DAYS IN BAJA. GOD I LOVE IT HERE ALSO!

castaway$ - 9-30-2010 at 10:53 AM

Small roosters like that are challenging and a blast on light gear, I've caught quite a few at Tecolote.

BajaBlanca - 9-30-2010 at 03:24 PM

:D

baitcast - 9-30-2010 at 03:53 PM

Those guys have got to be the best ,looks,speed,power and available,nothing finer.

I,ve been going to ask you for some time but in your avatar in the back ground are those Roosters or fish of some kind.

Those windrows might have been Krill I once was in acres and acres of those guys,the whole world was feeding on them including two whales,yt,s,sierra,sharks and a zillion skip-jack and us in a 12' tin boat:lol:
Rob

mulegemichael - 9-30-2010 at 04:12 PM

you lucky thug, david...we leave monday morning headed south with a full load....ya think the two of you would be up to a trip to mag bay this winter for inshore and offshore...i'm putting it together right now..

Russ - 9-30-2010 at 04:47 PM

I am so jealous! I got 4 Sub Walkers in the mail and can't wait to try them asap. I'm stuck up here for at least another week. Still trying to find some one to walk me thru VA paper work and get some doc appointments. "The impossible just takes a little longer".:no:

maspacifico - 9-30-2010 at 06:05 PM

Every time I get a big one I've got 15 or 20 lb line. I had a 40+ pounder yesterday and it took almost an hour to get it in. I think they fight harder than anything, and each of the big ones I've caught recovered faster than me. Just wish I could eat them!

bajabass - 9-30-2010 at 06:13 PM

Thanks, I needed that! Very, very nice way, to start a Baja Sur day!:biggrin:

dtbushpilot - 9-30-2010 at 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
you lucky thug, david...we leave monday morning headed south with a full load....ya think the two of you would be up to a trip to mag bay this winter for inshore and offshore...i'm putting it together right now..

Absolutely, count us in. Jill will be gone the first half of December and I will be gone on a Baja motorcycle adventure with my son the last of December, otherwise we will be here.

Drive careful and take your time coming down.....dt

sd - 9-30-2010 at 08:18 PM

dt-

What type of lure and what # test line?

Thanks!

dtbushpilot - 9-30-2010 at 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sd
dt-

What type of lure and what # test line?

Thanks!

4" silver Rapala Sub Walk, 15# fluorocarbon leader about 10' long tied to 50# Spectra braid. 7-'6" Shimano Teramar rod with a Shimano Curado 300E baitcaster.....dt

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_101...

mulegemichael - 9-30-2010 at 10:18 PM

that pretty much takes up dec...so...we'll figure it out...i'm packing...

sd - 9-30-2010 at 10:22 PM

Thanks dt!

wessongroup - 10-1-2010 at 07:31 AM

Thanks to all... I have never hooked up one of those.... but, it's picture and your discussion sure helps me .....

I always liked just fishing the surf... and to hook up with something like that on some light tackle would be SO much fun...

Biggest thing I ever caught in the surf, a 5' sand shark... took for ever to work him in... was using 20# test.. on a surf pole...

Was at "old man's" south of San Clemente... had some kind of crowd... was a hoot.. my "friend" continued to threatened to cut my line with his "knife" just for laughs... and people would start yelling nooo... nooooo ... still remember that fish...

Also remember an asian man.. that was struck dumb.. when I released it.... as do all my fish... don't like fish to eat... some (tuna, cod, halibut and salmon) but don't like most all sea food.. just used to like being outside getting a line wet... never seemed to get tired of doing it... funny how that works..

Anyone ever get tired of fishing???? just wondering... I would just love to fish again... but cannot....so I really appreciate ALL who share their experiences doing something I have always loved....

Again thanks....

tripledigitken - 10-1-2010 at 07:57 AM

dt,

You sure have increased Rapala's sales.

(I ordered 3 myself)

Ken

bajabass - 10-1-2010 at 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
dt,

(I ordered 3 myself)

Ken
Sure has, I will be picking up several at The Longfin before I head south!:biggrin:

Cypress - 10-1-2010 at 02:11 PM

Never hooked into a Rooster, but have caught umpteen Jacks. The difference between a Jack and a Rooster? Have been told the Rooster has some fancy fins and the Jack doesn't.:lol:

monoloco - 10-2-2010 at 07:20 AM

Those little ones are good eating too.

dtbushpilot - 10-2-2010 at 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabass
Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
dt,

(I ordered 3 myself)

Ken
Sure has, I will be picking up several at The Longfin before I head south!:biggrin:

I'm thinking that maybe I should contact Shimano about a possible sponsorship. I could test new gear and lures under "real world" conditions. I would be especially suited to perform strain and abuse testing of new gear, fishing gear maintenance has never been my strong suit. I'm more of a "ride it hard and put it away wet" kind of guy.

I maintained my first Curado in the usual way and after about 3 weeks it stopped working. I was pretty embarrassed at what I saw when I took it apart. Oh well, live and learn..

Come to think of it, I haven't had my new one apart yet and it is still working after 3 months......they must have someone like me giving them feedback on their products :lol::lol::lol:...dt

mulegemichael - 10-2-2010 at 07:45 AM

after fishing for years down there in the soc with a non saltwater certified reel and grinding them all up in record time i now use only reels that are "salt proof"...at least that's what the manufacturer says....also have taken to rinsing all my equipment after every use with salt away..that is REALLY magic stuff and it adds years and years to ones equipment.

dtbushpilot - 10-2-2010 at 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Never hooked into a Rooster, but have caught umpteen Jacks. The difference between a Jack and a Rooster? Have been told the Rooster has some fancy fins and the Jack doesn't.:lol:

That's pretty much it, the rooster has some cool stripes too. The Rooster is a member of the jack family, they put up a good fight but I think the toro (jack creval) is tougher IMHO. They can be caught on light tackle though, not a good picture but you get the idea....

Same lure and rod as usual, luckily he (and his twin brother) ran up and down the beach instead of straight out, I would have been spooled for sure otherwise.....dt