BajaNomad

Why Baja? Jeep Trip 1990

Pompano - 10-1-2010 at 08:39 AM

C-J 5 JEEP TRIP - DUK SHAK UP NORTH TO BAJA

It was about 1989-1990, I think...late autumn/early winter......the artic air was making fog as it moved further south...and it was getting damn cold.

I poked my head out the cottage door to check how my little rose plant was doing.

Hmm...does not look promising.

The weather for the last couple weeks had turned nasty...the migrations of ducks, geese, cranes, doves, and snowbirds were long gone..already basking in some southern marshes of Texas, Louisiana, Mexico and Palm Springs. Mother Nature was giving me..

SIGNS..

REMINDERS...

HINTS
...sigh.

I was finishing up the waterfowl season at my hunting shack Up North....and thinking of the warm weather in Baja Sur, about 3000 miles south.
I was also thinking...hard..

1. Winter is coming.
2. It gets cold in winter.
3. It is warmer in Baja.
4. I need a rest from thinking...Just jump in a vehicle and start south.

Well, it so happens that like I had done for many years, I was about to service and store my '79 CJ-5 Jeep Renegade for the winter.
As the first snow flurries hit the window panes I was staring out of, I suddenly had an idea... A brainstorm!

(Actually, it turned out to be more of a brainfart... but hey, it got my cold butt down to Baja!)

Getting started:
One morning I realized the day to leave had arrived. Why..? Because it was already too damn cold to risk any further delay. I'd be driving an open-air Jeep with just a bimini for protection against ....the elements!

(Elements Up North = cold that kills you but keeps your body preserved for 10,000 years.)

I had my neighbor take this photo of me just before I got underway. I had on thermal underwear, a soft jersey sweatsuit, a snowmobile suit, bunny boots, my insulated face mask, and a pair of googles.

After taking the photo, my neighbor, being a practical buddy, asked if he could have my shotgun and antique decoy collection if I never checked back in...?

"Hey, Gayheart..this little jaunt will be a Peice of Cake", I smirked, as I revved up the straight-six engine, ground it into reverse..and crashed forward into the door of my Duk Shak garage.

Daaang! "Opps", I thought, "This is the CJ..NOT the old Studebaker."

I got to the highway 4 blocks away and could hardly hear the guffaws any more..thank God. "That peice of garage door will soon fall off the horns", I thought, as I shifted into 4th and sped south on the blacktop.

Hey,hey...I was underway.. I felt warmer already!!

I took the most direct route I could...Hwy 14 south to Hwy 2, then west across the MIghty Missouri River to Montana, then south to Glendive to pick up Interstate 94 West. Crossed the Yellowstone River near Fallon..recrossed again further on near Miles City..and marveled at all the Canadian honkers feeding and watering in this area of eastern Montana.

The weather was a little nippy, but at least no snow yet..which was what I was worried about. That..and black ice. Black ice is real danger to motorists..even experienced hands like me. That stuff kills more people in winter than any other winter road hazard. It will come upon you without warning and there is little you can do except gently stir with it to regain control...and hope you can stop before impacting that huge Kenworth grill coming at you.

It was getting dark and I started looking for a warm motel room. I had driven far enough today...but not very far, only about 300 miles, but then I had a late start.
It was VERY nice to jump into a hot tub and soak for a bit, before ordering my usual motel room delivery - large pepperoni with a couple of cokes. So far, the Jeep was running good...no problems at all. The only events of the day, besides the great scenery, were some stares I kept getting from the other motorists ...sitting in their snug, warm cars & trucks.

Next day I gassed up again and trucked on down the road. All the way through Billings and west..on and on. I could go up to the speed limit of 75, but it was a little too brisk at that speed, so I generally kept it around 60mph. After all, who's in a hurry? And there is soooo much to look at..

If you really want to see the countryside, make a trip cross-country in an open air Jeep. You sure notice things that escape the normal traveler.

I won't bore you further with more USA scenery from this great open-air trip, but suffice to say...it was filled with GRAND SIGHTS that never get close to boring ME. Guess I'm just a nomad at heart.

Here is some scenes from driving down Baja.....my true love.

Driving slow and open-air in a Jeep thru the Guerrero Negro fog...nebblino?

Climbing off the beach at Shell Beach, Punta Chivato - 1990

2000 - Here's my old CJ-5 after I had it painted white..after a little rollover-mishap concerning a drunk rabbit on a Baja trail. Rabbits should never drink rum...period.

From 'back in the day' to this year.....Here's a collage of rigs I've driven to Coyote Bay, Baja Sur. Yup...all of these from Way Up North....;)

WHY BAJA INDEED?

To place the blame for these long-distance road adventures where it belongs, there are a few possiblities:

1. I'm a glutton for punishment.
2. I'm a dumb norski who loves the Northland...and BAJA
3. I like to drive and pull stuff.

[Edited on 10-1-2010 by Pompano]

[Edited on 10-3-2010 by Pompano]

schwlind - 10-1-2010 at 09:10 AM

Pompano...

You certainly have a way of telling a story... always interesting and entertaining!

Thanks...
Linda

Eli - 10-1-2010 at 11:28 AM

bbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrr. I really enjoyed your story with the visuals.

Cypress - 10-1-2010 at 01:40 PM

Pompano, Thanks for the story. You're a talented story-teller and the visuals are just iceing on the cake. If you'd spent some time down in the Louisiana/Mississippi marsh country the Baja Nomads would have missed out on some good stories.;)

ligui - 10-1-2010 at 05:16 PM

Thanks Pompano , it's been two years for me to return to baja , going alone on the trip down , as i did in the years past .

Your story reminded me to slow down and enjoy the trip south , looking forward to the new people and places that i haven't stopped at on other trips .

:bounce::bounce: Thanks

woody with a view - 10-1-2010 at 05:24 PM

hey big guy

you certainly are living the dream, and have the foto's to prove it.

SALUD!

k-rico - 10-1-2010 at 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
hey big guy

you certainly are living the dream, and have the foto's to prove it.

SALUD!

Yeah, I admire getting up to the north country during the summer. I want to hit Lake Superior on the American and Canadian sides. Maybe next summer.

I love a good Jeep thread....

Ken Cooke - 10-10-2010 at 07:02 AM

Great stuff! Staying warm and out of snow is always:spingrin: good thing!

David K - 10-10-2010 at 08:36 AM

That looks identicle to Baja Angel's Jeep... also a 1979 CJ-5 Renegade (304 V-8), but silver limited edition with charcoal decals... she had it for over 20 years. It died in an endo/ roll-over on the freeway with her son driviving... the tranny locked. Josh only was scratched, as is mom always taught her kids about ducking in a Jeep since rolling over can be common in CJ-5s.

[Edited on 10-10-2010 by David K]

wessongroup - 10-10-2010 at 08:44 AM

Thanks as always for a great story with pictures...