BajaNomad

Leader among Nomads, and Rebel Insurgents - The Toyota HiLux Pickup

Ken Cooke - 10-15-2010 at 07:24 PM

Source: http://www.newsweek.com/2010/10/14/why-rebel-groups-love-the...

Leader of the 3rd world - even of Rebel/Insurgent groups. This pickup must be worthy of the hype I have been hearing all of these years.

Recently, my Ford Ranger pickup was available for sale at a 2nd hand dealership 1 block from my house, but with all of the infamous breakdowns this pickup was made famous of (Graham Macintosh wrote about my misfortunes in "Nearest my friend to thee") I refused purchasing it for the paltry $2,900.00 asking price. The problem with the truck was the parts available to keep it alive. Read on, this article is fascinating...

As the war in Afghanistan escalated several years ago, counterinsurgency expert David Kilcullen, a member of the team that designed the Iraq surge for Gen. David Petraeus, began to notice a new tattoo on some insurgent Afghan fighters. It wasn’t a Taliban tattoo. It wasn’t even Afghan. It was a Canadian maple leaf.

When a perplexed Kilcullen began to investigate, he says, he discovered that the incongruous flags were linked to what he says is one of the most important, and unnoticed, weapons of guerrilla war in Afghanistan and across the world: the lightweight, virtually indestructible Toyota Hilux truck.

::Continue::

Indestructible

Stickers - 10-15-2010 at 07:52 PM

Check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfZDtC9kjVk

Ken Cooke - 10-17-2010 at 09:19 PM

That's a damn stout pickup truck. If I had purchased a used SR5 *AND I ALMOST DID instead of the inferior Ford Ranger pickup, I probably still would be driving it instead of the Jeep that I now own.

akmaxx - 10-17-2010 at 09:32 PM

I would drive one of these in a heartbeat.

The diesel engine is the big selling point for me.

So prevalent in the rest of the world but the US EPA has a stick up their .....over diesel.

Such a shame.

Ken Cooke - 10-17-2010 at 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by akmaxx
I would drive one of these in a heartbeat.

The diesel engine is the big selling point for me.

So prevalent in the rest of the world but the US EPA has a stick up their .....over diesel.

Such a shame.

I saw some nice late-model Diesel Landcruiser pickup trucks w/factory straight axles, snorkel's, etc. in Colombia recently. Those would be great alternatives to the Tacomas available here in the USA.

vgabndo - 10-17-2010 at 09:52 PM

Speaking of well armed terrorist groups, I think the Cadillac Escalade is the vehicle of choice of the Crips and Bloods.:?:

I'm guessing they're about as well regulated a militia as the second amendment provides in most cities.:(

I wonder how long one of those would last on a dirt road in Baja.:lol:

[Edited on 10-18-2010 by vgabndo]

thumbnail.jpg - 3kB

EZ DUZ IT

Ken Cooke - 10-17-2010 at 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
Speaking of well armed terrorist groups, I think the Cadillac Escalade is the vehicle of choice of the Crips and Bloods.:?:

Easy E (R.I.P.) drove a 64 Chevy Impala. But, he was a Rapper, not affiliated (direclty) with gangs.

vgabndo - 10-17-2010 at 10:22 PM

You got it brother. The mind wanders around with pictures of Hispanic bangers in a war zone in lowriders. Or Asian bangers in combat in a stock Honda with a REALLY loud chrome muffler sticking out the back; RPG's out the windows.:lol:

Jeeze, I guess there really isn't much of any way to convert gang bangers to humor. It worked for a minute.:lol:

When the Dodge turbo diesel dies, I guess it's a Hilux next.

[Edited on 10-18-2010 by vgabndo]

Cypress - 10-18-2010 at 07:04 AM

Had a HiLux pickup once, was a rugged vehicle. T-boned a car that ran a redlight. Totaled the HilLux, wasn't injured even tho I wasn't wearing a seat belt, lucky. Had 93,000 miles on it. One of the best vehicles I ever owned.