BajaNomad

Loreto Report, October 17 - yellowfin tuna, marlin, sailfish, and a nice dorado

bill erhardt - 10-17-2010 at 04:27 AM

One of the bad things, maybe the only one, about fishing the fall wahoo bite outside Mag Bay is missing the action out of Loreto in October, which is usually some of the best all year. My brother is visiting for a week from Oregon, and after a trip out of Lopez Mateos Monday for 11 wahoo to 55# (we intended to stop at our limit of 10 but with 9 in the box hooked up a double to finish the day) we fished Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, yesterday, out of Loreto. We found the fall action on the Sea of Cortez nearly as good as that on the Pacific.
Thursday, we fished for yellowfin tuna northeast of the marina near the canyon and had our limit of 10 by around 9:00 a.m. We then looked for billfish for an hour or so and went in early.
Friday, we returned the site of the tuna bite, this time accompanied by 5 or 6 other boats, and in whitecapping seas which limited visibility found only one fast moving school of yellowfin from which we picked up 2.
Yesterday we fished north of town for a marlin, 3 sailfish, and a nice dorado.
I'm having a hard time convincing my brother that it has been a tough year down here.

Here's a photo of Cliff with the tuna Thursday

bn12.jpg - 26kB

bill erhardt - 10-17-2010 at 04:29 AM

A healthy striper at the boat for release yesterday

bn1.jpg - 48kB

bill erhardt - 10-17-2010 at 04:30 AM

And a nice 35# bull when dorado had been written off for the year

bn2.jpg - 42kB

bill erhardt - 10-17-2010 at 04:32 AM

The first sailfish of the day apparently had a nose job in its youth.

bn3.jpg - 46kB

bill erhardt - 10-17-2010 at 04:34 AM

The snub nose pez vela had just enough bill left to get a grip for the release.

bn4.jpg - 44kB

bill erhardt - 10-17-2010 at 04:36 AM

And number one sail on his way

bn5.jpg - 49kB

bill erhardt - 10-17-2010 at 04:40 AM

The second sail, which hit an Ahi P, was fully equipped with a bill

bn6.jpg - 41kB

bill erhardt - 10-17-2010 at 04:41 AM

coming alongside for release

bn7.jpg - 31kB

bill erhardt - 10-17-2010 at 04:44 AM

hook extracted

bn8.jpg - 42kB

bill erhardt - 10-17-2010 at 04:45 AM

and number 2 on his way

bn9.jpg - 44kB

bill erhardt - 10-17-2010 at 04:48 AM

Sailfish number three at the boat for a no touch release with a Precision de-hooker.

bn10.jpg - 44kB

bill erhardt - 10-17-2010 at 04:53 AM

Since I got the de-hooker I've released over half the billfish caught without touching them. Not to mention scores of dorado, skipjack, small yellowfin, etc. that have been shaken off. Doing it the old fashioned way a feisty billfish, especially if a little green, can and will rattle your elbow.

bn11.jpg - 38kB

Russ - 10-17-2010 at 05:10 AM

Great report Bill. I hope the tuna were moving North. There are a few more people here now and I'm sure they'd love to get into the Oct. / Nov. tuna bite this year. Since there are a few more boats out now I've heard some reports of dorado and many billfish since I've been back.

Hook - 10-17-2010 at 06:33 AM

The tuna are probobly around there, Russ. Two large ones have come in in the last two days over here near San Carlos, Sonora. One taped out at 149# and another was about 80#.

bill erhardt - 10-17-2010 at 06:48 AM

When we found the yellowfin Thursday they were spread out over a square mile, or two, feeding on small bait fish about 2" long. I would bet that there were big fish down deep. We had no bait and caught limits of smaller fish in short order on cedar plugs and tuna feathers. The next day bright and early we were back armed with downrigger and fresh caught big-eye, but the big school of tuna was not to be found.

Cypress - 10-17-2010 at 07:33 AM

bill erhardt, Thanks for all the action photo's. What a day! Congrats.:D

Pacifico - 10-17-2010 at 08:09 AM

Awesome!!! Nicely done....

shari - 10-17-2010 at 08:22 AM

great photos Bill...nice to see somebody is getting some action...pretty slow here still but we are all hoping for a late tuna bite...hey maybe it'll last longer!! I'm such an optimist.

Pescador - 10-17-2010 at 08:30 AM

We had one small batch of tuna show up just south of Tortuga Island, but they did not show on the second day, so no real schools of tuna as of yet. When they show up over on Hooks side, it is usually a couple of weeks or three before they start the loop over to our side. If you look at Terrafin and follow the path of the water you will see why this happens as they want the right water temps which means where the fish they feed on are showing.

stimbo - 10-17-2010 at 09:11 AM

There aren't enough words to express how much I hate you. Great freakin' photos. I'm so green with envy. Damn you!

krafty - 10-17-2010 at 01:07 PM

Great pix- do restaurants down the Baja serve alot of these fresh fish? Planning a Rosarito to Cabo drive late November and would like nothing better than to be able to enjoy some of this!

BajaDanD - 10-17-2010 at 01:29 PM

What does it usually cost for a trip out of Lopez Mateos.

bill erhardt - 10-17-2010 at 05:36 PM

Dan.....Mag Bay Outfitters is the only outfitter in Lopez Mateos. magbayoutfitters@sbcglobal.net
I don't know their rates. You can also contract yourself with local pangueros, but there are few who sport fish on the Pacific, and if you are interested in wahoo or marlin it is a long ride in a panga to where you are likely to find them. The primo local independent panga fisherman is Ruben Duran. Let me know if you want to get in touch with Ruben.

Iflyfish - 10-18-2010 at 07:49 AM

Great fish report with wonderful photos. Great tool for catch and release, love the pics!! Keep your tip up!!

Iflyfish

Skeet/Loreto - 10-18-2010 at 11:04 AM

Bill; Great Report. Kinda figured they would be along shortly. This is the time of year I would work that Line from Lobos to Catalana.

Bill: Do you know of anyone around who is Smoking,Canning Yellowtail or Yellowfin in and around Loreto??
Would appreciate a contact if you know.

Thanks Skeet

bill erhardt - 10-18-2010 at 12:44 PM

Skeet......Many local gringo fisherman smoke and can fish for their own consumption. There are a few Mexicans who smoke fish and sell it, but none that I would recommend. The only real good commercially smoked fish I've had on Baja was from the East Cape Smoke House in Los Barriles.

Skeet/Loreto - 10-18-2010 at 01:26 PM

Bill> Thanks!

It is getting difficult to get good canned smoked fish from anywhere other thatn Chian/Indonisa etc. Stuff taste Bad!!!\\

Whe Virginia and I lived in Loreto we smoked and canned all types of Fish and would take it to the States for Friends.
At one time in Escondido a group of Mongs where kicked out of Baja as they were catching and cannin fish and taking it to the States by the Case. For a Awhile there was a Guard at the entrance to keep them from taking out the Canned Fish.

Somewone could sure make some money canning Yellotail and yellofin smoked and selling in the States.

Skeet

wakemall - 10-19-2010 at 07:59 PM

Please let me get this comment right:
" we fished Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, yesterday, out of Loreto. We found the fall action on the Sea of Cortez nearly as good as that on the Pacific.
Thursday, we fished for yellowfin tuna northeast of the marina near the canyon and had our limit of 10 by around 9:00 a.m. We then looked for billfish for an hour or so and went in early".
You caught these fish out of Loreto?

Thanks,
Bret

BajaBruno - 10-19-2010 at 09:10 PM

Thanks for the vicarious thrills, Bill. It was a great show. Is that the new Soledad? I thought you had a single 300HP? That boat looks like it has twin 175's.

bill erhardt - 10-20-2010 at 09:45 PM

Bret......Yes.

BajaBruno.......I'm keeping the new boat in Lopez Mateos. Last week I had the original Soledad in Loreto, and a boat on each side. That was nice to be able to fish wherever the wind was not blowing without towing across the hill. Monday, I sold the original Soledad, however, and the new boat is still in Lopez, so I'm without a boat in Loreto.

bajajurel - 10-22-2010 at 10:26 AM

Thanks again Bill. you're keeping my hopes alive for our Nov. 10th trip to La Paz / Las Arenas.

bajajurel - 10-22-2010 at 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt
Dan.....Mag Bay Outfitters is the only outfitter in Lopez Mateos. magbayoutfitters@sbcglobal.net
I don't know their rates. You can also contract yourself with local pangueros, but there are few who sport fish on the Pacific, and if you are interested in wahoo or marlin it is a long ride in a panga to where you are likely to find them. The primo local independent panga fisherman is Ruben Duran. Let me know if you want to get in touch with Ruben.

My experience with Ruben is the best option. He took us out in our boat as the channel is challenging but he can arrange trips for those without a boat of their own.

bajajurel - 10-22-2010 at 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt
Bret......Yes.

BajaBruno.......I'm keeping the new boat in Lopez Mateos. Last week I had the original Soledad in Loreto, and a boat on each side. That was nice to be able to fish wherever the wind was not blowing without towing across the hill. Monday, I sold the original Soledad, however, and the new boat is still in Lopez, so I'm without a boat in Loreto.

Jeez Bill it must be nice to have one on each side;)

bill erhardt - 10-22-2010 at 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajurel
Jeez Bill it must be nice to have one on each side;)

It was nice while it lasted.