BajaNomad

Corvina Evening

Russ - 10-18-2010 at 07:30 AM

Last evening my neighbor Tom returns home to tie on a new lure. He had taken his dog for a walk and decided to take his pole with him. He had caught and released two nice corvina and was going to head back down the beach for a couple more. So I tagged along. Here's Tom with a couple of nice corvina. I was having one of those days.... broke a rod tip, and lost two lures due to operator error tying knots and another because of a broken swivel. I did manage to catch one corvina that helped the frustration and it was the evenings' largest. Appears like I'm having one of those mornings too. Can only get 2 of 5 pics uploaded. Here they are until I figure it out.

My fish

We caught 5 before we called it a night. Lots of fun even with the operator errors.
Edit: one more pic

[Edited on 10-18-2010 by Russ]

Cypress - 10-18-2010 at 08:06 AM

Russ, Try a popping float. The corvina will hear it and come to your bait.;D

wessongroup - 10-18-2010 at 08:13 AM

Hey, its all good.. nice pictures of someone getting a line wet... and a fish too..

Have had that feeling a few times.. nothing is going right.. but, it always fades away with the next day getting out.. and seeing things again...

Hey how is Bubba working out with the new extension?

Some of us live a life through you... kind of wanted to see how it worked out.. know your just back.. but .... just interested in your project ... I like projects used to love to do things around the place plus anything else which I wanted to make up ....

Thanks for the time and effort to put up what you have...

[Edited on 10-18-2010 by wessongroup]

Cardon Man - 10-18-2010 at 09:31 AM

Is that a snap swivel in front of that spoon? Just curious if that's the swivel that broke.

shari - 10-18-2010 at 09:36 AM

one of those days eh!

quick shore fishing update from Asuncion...the shore fish nomad tournament that was slated for yesterday was won by Ms.Boe4fun with her sweet yellowfin croakers...shelley is a master and her first time fishing in months won her the tournament...who cares that she was the only one fishing...right?

Actually the lil derby has been postponed due to weather and lack of nomads...everybody bailed cause it was cloudy....wimps.

Russ - 10-18-2010 at 10:19 AM

Cypress, I have/do use poppers and the roosters take them but so far no corvina. I tried dt's sub walker yesterday with no love and went back to the kroc for the one fish. I've made the repair to the broken tip and am ready to try again this evening. I hope to remember to put any food away tonight though because Mason got my treasured croissants last night. :mad:
Wiley, The Bubba extension is too long for the weight of the boat and it's soft suspension. I'm going to try to shorten it 4' and try again. Must be a real downer not to be able to putz around the house/garage. Hopefully you have some good days you can get out and break stuff like me. Job security.

corv.jpg - 47kB

eguillermo - 10-21-2010 at 03:57 PM

Not twenty minutes ago, I clipped off a rod tip in the cab window :(

Fortunately I am the kind of fisher who carries three other conventional rods as well as three fly rods :)

There has been a good corvina bite down here at Santa Rosalia too, and they seem to like a blue fastrac trolled from a kayak.

Russ - 10-21-2010 at 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by eguillermo
Not twenty minutes ago, I clipped off a rod tip in the cab window :(

Fortunately I am the kind of fisher who carries three other conventional rods as well as three fly rods :)

There has been a good corvina bite down here at Santa Rosalia too, and they seem to like a blue fastrac trolled from a kayak.

I've heard that story a lot. Glad you had backup. Caught a green jack from shore this morning then took the boat out for these.

trigger & parrot.jpg - 46kB

Iflyfish - 10-21-2010 at 04:34 PM

Excellent Russ, had some wonderful fish tacos made with corvina in Loreto the other day, succulant!! Nice to see you get some!

Iflyfish

Beachgirl - 10-22-2010 at 05:31 AM

Russ, what is the one with the vertical yellow stripe?

Cardon Man - 10-22-2010 at 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Beachgirl
Russ, what is the one with the vertical yellow stripe?

a Wrass I believe.

Russ - 10-22-2010 at 05:58 AM

I thought it was a parrot fish of some type. What ever it is it was really good eating. Here's the jack I caught from shore. Could be a leatherback but again I'm not really good at remembering fish ID.

Jack?.jpg - 47kB

htnfool - 10-22-2010 at 06:38 AM

It's a 'Hogfish'. Delicious.

baitcast - 10-22-2010 at 08:11 AM

Russ that is a Bigjaw leatherjacket the pompano family,the beachs in Baja Norte are loaded with those guys,also tasty.
Rob

Skipjack Joe - 10-22-2010 at 08:53 AM

Those leatherjackets are a blast on light tackle.

We could cast a mile with the braided line and stayed in touch with the school long after it moved off from next to shore. More tangles that way but worth it in my estimation.