BajaNomad

California Scooter Company - To Cabo and Back

BajaGeoff - 10-20-2010 at 10:42 AM

A few months back, one of our clients contacted us about sponsoring a fun ride to Cabo they were putting together. The catch was, they were going to be riding scooters. Yes....scooters. Little 150 cc scoots that buzz along at a top speed of about 45 miles per hour....to Cabo and back! Always eager to get involved with something fun like this, we signed on. They had a great trip and here is their story complete with pictures:

California Scooter Company - To Cabo And Back

Enjoy!

DENNIS - 10-20-2010 at 10:53 AM

Great trip, but too little..too late for me. I have/had a buddy who road a Honda 50, the street model, from the Cape to Newport Beach, Ca....before there was a road.

Just had to mention that. :biggrin:

BajaGeoff - 10-20-2010 at 11:30 AM

Wow Dennis....your friend must have walked funny for weeks after that trip!

I know these guys (and gal) are not the first to do something like this....just sharing the fun!

sanquintinsince73 - 10-20-2010 at 12:28 PM

Awesome adventure!! Thanks for sharing.

shari - 10-20-2010 at 02:08 PM

wow...they are so cute...I sooo want one! I rode a lowrider Kawasaki 400 for 12 years and loved it...it was my only vehicle....sure looked like a fun trip.

capt. mike - 10-20-2010 at 03:15 PM

those bikes are too slow for 150 cc.
they need a lesson from honda and vespa.

i'd do it on a helix doing 75 all the way.

jcbrandon - 10-21-2010 at 05:37 PM

Thanks for sharing the story, Geoff. And thanks for helping to make it possible. Once again, getting our Mexican insurance with Baja Bound was a piece of cake.

Hola, fellow Baja lovers. I'm J. Brandon. I was along on the trip Geoff mentioned, driving the support truck. It was a fantastic adventure and I think all of the team would be ready to do it again in a minute.

I've put together a little collection of pictures I took on the trip. You can see them at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbrandon/sets/72157624964933525...

And the trip gathered a bit of media attention. To see some of it, just Google "California Scooters in Baja"

We had so much fun on the trip we're planning to go back in the spring to see the whales at Guerrero Negro. Watch the California Scooter Company blog for information on that:
http://californiascooterco.com/blog/

Salud!

TMW - 10-23-2010 at 09:43 AM

Great trip and great story. That is an interesting spring setup on the seat. I need that for my bicycle. And a big seat.

DENNIS - 10-23-2010 at 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Great trip and great story. That is an interesting spring setup on the seat. I need that for my bicycle. And a big seat.

Bicycles used to have seats with springs like that. It's on the outer fringe of my memory banks.

Steve&Debby - 10-25-2010 at 08:23 AM

What a way to see Baja,nice and slow,hmmm ah Foghat SLOWRIDE and maybe a little Stepenwolf and EASYRIDER;D;D

oxxo - 10-25-2010 at 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve&;Debby
What a way to see Baja,nice and slow,hmmm ah Foghat SLOWRIDE and maybe a little Stepenwolf and EASYRIDER;D;D

And don't forget Los Lobos, LOWRIDER!

mcfez - 10-26-2010 at 05:06 PM

Being a putt owner myself...
Curious about how many miles per day was made. Also....what's the tank range? Those springs on the seats.....am going to look for that for my bike!

Very nice pictorial. Thanks for the share'n

jcbrandon - 10-26-2010 at 05:44 PM

Thanks for the kind words.

A typical day on our Baja trip was about 230 to 260 miles. Our biggest day was 357 miles. The bikes are good for about 150 miles or so on a tank. We usually refueled the bikes from a supply we carried on the truck. This saved time and kept us moving.

The sprung seats are common on bikes like these that have a rigidly mounted rear axle.