BajaNomad

VIPS

Bajahowodd - 10-21-2010 at 01:05 PM

At the distinct risk of either causing widespread convulsions, or receiving tons of derisive comments, or both, here goes.

Most everyone has at least seen VIPS. They are owned by and co-located with WalMarts and Sam's Clubs throughout Mexico. In my opinion, they fit into a niche such as would Denny's in the US. I am actually fond of their mid-20th century googie-style architecture.

VIPS can be found in Mexicali, Tijuana, Rosarito, Ensenada, La Paz and Cabo.

Here's the thing, in addition to being sparkling clean, with efficient service, and reasonable prices, there are actually a few items on their menu that they do really well.

Awhile back, I confessed to being a chilaquiles junkie. A thread covered a number of Nomad's favorite places to find them.

Now, comes VIPS. Menu item titled Chilquiles Toluquenos. Fantastic version of chilaquiles. A very inviting salsa verde, grilled chicken strips, egg, chorizo, cheese and crema.

Not kidding about this. I've had chilaquiles all over Mexico. These are really tasty.

http://www.vips.com.mx/

BajaBlanca - 10-21-2010 at 01:07 PM

I love chilaquiles too ....

bajabass - 10-21-2010 at 01:35 PM

Yup, a Mexican Denny's for sure. Ate at one in Mexico City about 10 years ago, never again! :barf: They could be better now, but I won't eat at Denny's either. Life is too short to ingest crappolla! :yes:

Packoderm - 10-21-2010 at 06:18 PM

I've stopped there many times. There is a time for Denny's type fare.

Barry A. - 10-21-2010 at 07:31 PM

You bet-------beats the COSTCO survival bucket!!!! :tumble:

Barry

Mexicorn - 10-21-2010 at 09:04 PM

Wish they had a menu for Seniors.

vandenberg - 10-22-2010 at 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexicorn

Share or doggie bag.:biggrin::biggrin:

durrelllrobert - 10-22-2010 at 10:38 AM

VIPS = Very Interesting Personal Service (at least that's what I heard about the latenight shift in Ensenada) :lol::lol:

Woooosh - 10-22-2010 at 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Quote:
Originally posted by Mexicorn

Share or doggie bag.:biggrin::biggrin:

the no salt, no heat, no flavor menu?

Bajahowodd - 10-22-2010 at 05:50 PM

Fact is that, at least for their breakfast menu, they offer egg white omelettes and fruit plates. So, here I was, ordering a dish with fat and salt abundant, while I looked around and saw so many folks eating healthy. I enjoyed my meal. But, given the problem that Mexico has with their nutrition, and given that on any Sunday, hoards of Mexicans ascend on VIPS for family breakfast, I was truly encouraged by the number of fruit plates and smoothies that were around me.

Diss VIPS if you wish, but given the massive problems with obesity and diabetes, fact is that these people are truly offering an alternative.

bajabass - 10-22-2010 at 05:57 PM

Point taken! You can eat healthy in Mexico, but you do have to work at it. Glad I was blessed with a rapid metabolism!! :tumble:

I Recommend

R2LUJAN - 3-7-2011 at 09:38 PM

The Huevos divorciados are very good, and im not a fan of VIPS... muy bueno..

[Edited on 3-9-2011 by R2LUJAN]

Ain't it the da truth

Dave - 3-7-2011 at 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh

the no salt, no heat, no flavor menu?

Folks abuse their bodies for years, get diabetes and hypertension and whatever else then complain when everyone doesn't cater to their diet. I say screw 'em, eat at home. I suppose I shouldn't care but when I can't get full flavored foods because restaurants cater mainly to the sick it sorta chaps my arse. I mean, just try and get whole milk at a restaurant...just try. Egg white omelettes? Puleese. :mad: