BajaNomad

Life in Bahia Asuncion

boe4fun - 10-24-2010 at 09:04 AM

Shelley and I have been camped at Campo Sirena since a week ago last Thursday. We've met young Izaak, son of Sirena and Adrian, and grandson of Shari and Juan. He is absolutely adorable, with a head of dark hair and chubby cheeks.
I wanted to let everybody know how we crossed the border this time, as it was one of the easier crossings for us. I went to Otay Mesa the day before we crossed to drop off 27 large boxes to a trucking company next to the border. They will handle the transport of all of these donated items and materials down to our Rotarian clinic in La Paz. After I dropped off the payload, I drove over to McDonald's and got breakfast. I asked for the manager and asked him if it was OK to leave my truck and 5th wheel parked there while I walked across the border to get my visa. He said OK and I walked over to the Mexican side and got my visa. While there I spoke with one of the Aduana officers and explained that the following day I would be crossing with our 5th wheel and a car-topped aluminum boat. We have routinely been pulled into secondary even with a green light to have our vehicle and trailer/boat registration checked. I asked the officer if it would be OK for my wife to get her visa while they inspected our rig and he said no problema. Their look through our rig and examination of the various registrations took all of about 5 minutes, and they allowed me to stay parked there for another 25 or 30 minutes while Shelley went to IMM, filled out the form, walked down to the bank and paid her $262 Pesos and walked back to IMM and got her visa stamped.
Then it was off to Corredor 2000 and down the coast. We stopped in San Vicente and visited Angel Baeza, a polio victim and paraplegic who makes and repairs wheelchairs and provides prostheses and braces to the people of the area. He will email me a list of parts and supplies that he needs and we'll send them back to him on the bus when our clinic starts in La Paz. We have a very large workshop there and a huge amount of supplies which we have been collecting over the past 6 years.
Once we finished visiting Angel we drove down to the Cielito Lindo south of San Quintin for the night and held a small clinic the next morning at the Flying Sam's clinic at Los Pinos ranch where we measured and cast a below knee amputee and a little boy with bilateral club foot who needs AFO's (plastic leg braces below the knees). I was deeply saddened to here a couple of days later of the loss of 4 members of the Flying Sam's Gold Coast chapter. Although we live near San Luis Obispo, where this chapter hails from, I belong to the Mother Lode chapter because they're the chapter that provides Orthotics and Prosthetics.
Fishing from shore in BA has been OK, and we've had plenty of fish tacos over the last week and a half. Tomorrow Dave and Nancy are having a birthday party for Sirena. That's about all the news from here. Special thanks to Terry (Bajaguy) for info on the border crossing and DK for his instructions to get to the Corredor 2000.

[Edited on 10-24-2010 by boe4fun]

shari - 10-24-2010 at 09:36 AM

we have been so happy to have Paul & shelley here to share baby time with...they are excellent tios!! AND thanks so much for all the wonderful food you always share...you guys rock!

David K - 10-24-2010 at 09:48 AM

Thanks Paul!

woody with a view - 10-24-2010 at 08:18 PM

hey P&S, you guys should really get some work done on your place so i can come down next summer and "help" install some windows and treatments, doors, baseboard. you know, trim carpenter stuffs.....

sorry we didn't make it this time, but the pop up was EPIC, Bia loved it! you guys should have detoured on the way south..... we'll see you guys soon! say hi to your lovely wife for us.

Iflyfish - 10-25-2010 at 05:56 AM

Great report, what you guys are doing is wonderful, salud! You deserve that sweet baby time!!

Iflyfish

boe4fun - 10-25-2010 at 08:46 AM

Hey Woody and Bia, Shelley has FINALLY committed to improving on the lot, so this week we're going to clean up the rock piles and grade/level the lot, then have Manuel put in the septic and have water and power brought in. As far as building a structure, I'm keeping that on the slow track until the Jefe decides she wants to go the whole 9 yards and build. First will be a pillar fence with galvanized or wrought iron fencing in between the posts, then a garage so I can store more toys down here! Thanks for everybodys kind words. Paul and Shelley

Nappo - 10-27-2010 at 08:37 PM

Our group met Paul and Shelley as we were staying in Casa Pargo right across from them. Paul offered some great surf fishing tips the first night. A couple of days later he and Shelley came over and after listening to them I think they are two of the most awesome people! They head south often and do so much good - fixing young people and old people's problems. It was so amazing to hear Paul and Shelley share stories about providing protheses for so many people. It was also a little disconcerning to hear about how much trouble it is to bring needed medical supplies to Mexico. Stopping them at the border - questioning - charging fees for supplies that will be given to many Baja people to make their life better. Why does Mexico do this??? I know, $$$, but gees here's two people have dedicated a major portion of their lives to help the people of baja and the border people try to stop them. OK< enough of that - Paul and Shelley, we were the 4 guys across from you at Casa Pargo and enjoyed your stories.
Hope you get your house going soon, and count on us to look you up next year.
Also, Paul, I heard you say you work on donations. Please don't hesitate to ask for $$ on this site. I would love to contribute after meeting you two and knowing the fantastic work you do. OK _ one more -= Paul takes down used parts for protheses that the USA won't allow to use a 2nd time. He and his team then do miracles with the parts for the people of baja! It always amazes me what great people I meet in Baja!

shari - 10-28-2010 at 06:11 AM

ditto all that about Paul & shelley....they will be a tremendous asset to the village. Yesterday after running around arranging for the utilities to go in, I showed them where some good ice cream was...at Loncheria Mari's house, Tomas's father suffered a stroke a few years back and while slurping on his cone Paul noticed him sitting in a wheelchair and asked if he might like to be able to walk again....Hell Ya!!!

this gentleman was an active basebalista and would so love to be able to get around better. Well paul stepped up to the plate...measured him for a leg brace and will hopefully be able to help him....life in asuncion!!!

sometimes I hear people bad mouthing the expat "intrusion" but I sure see alot of wonderful people selflessly helping out where they can and contributing positively to the community.

thank you paul & shelley for being you ( and most excellent dancers & baby sitters too...I couldnt resist!!))

shelley izaak1-1.jpg - 48kB

boe4fun - 10-28-2010 at 08:50 AM

Thanks for all of the kind words and support guys. As far as donations, maybe if anyone would be interested they should probably get in touch with the La Balandra Rotarians of La Paz, BCS. These hombres are a very caring, generous group of individuals who give back a TREMENDOUS amount to their community. They support several humanitarian efforts in and around La Paz. They hold two fishing tournaments a year to help fund their projects. You can visit www.lapazgoldcup.com for more information.