BajaNomad

since no boating section here i'll ask

capt. mike - 10-25-2010 at 04:42 AM

in this section.
Qs -
1. why is the steering wheel in boats on the right side like british cars? why not left like american cars?

2. if all other things are the same, will a wood hulled boat run heavier and therefore slower or use more gas than one with fiberglass?

3. what special hull maintenance is required for a wooden boat like a classic Chris Craft mahogany?
thx for any comment here from you boating pros.

mtgoat666 - 10-25-2010 at 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
in this section.
Qs -
1. why is the steering wheel in boats on the right side like british cars? why not left like american cars?

tradition, and right-of-way rules. fyi, capt crack, it is called "starboard side", not "right side" -- and most boats (sailboats) worth owning have tiller or wheel position midships ("center" for you landlubbing zonies) :lol:

Quote:
why not left like american cars?

a boat is not a car :lol: and right of way rules on boats are not same as when you are driving your dodge dart

Quote:
2. if all other things are the same, will a wood hulled boat run heavier and therefore slower or use more gas than one with fiberglass?

"all things being equal" the wood boat will probably be heavier and run slower.

Quote:
3. what special hull maintenance is required for a wooden boat like a classic Chris Craft mahogany?

you can't afford to keep up a wood boat, so don't even ask this question, capt crack. woodwork requires much more frequent maintenance. owning a wood boat means spending all your spare cash hiring maintenance help, or or spending every other weekend doing birghtwork, hauling your boat annually to repaint hull and replace wood, etc. :lol::lol:
there is a reason very few wood hull boats are made :lol:

[Edited on 10-25-2010 by mtgoat666]

Skeet/Loreto - 10-25-2010 at 07:35 AM

Mike:

The Reason for the Right Side consoul on most Boats is that there are many more Right -Handed People than Left.

The same thing with Airplanes as most People operate the Dash Controls better with their Right Hand.

A Wooden Hull boat is usually moret in Weight than a Metal or Fiberglass.
Wooden boat were First. They have the reputation as being mporet Stable due to being Heavier{That I think is depended on the Operator }

I owned and operated a 22Ft Chris Craft Cutlass in the States and out of Loreto. You just take care of it as any onther boat. Clean Keep Polished, or Painted, epoxy any Dings, Keep Dry inside..

Just keep in mind that the Sea Of Cortez is a 22 Ft. Water. Keep in mind if you are going to Pull your Boat up on the Beach at Night as opposed to Anchoring. Weight will make a difference if you are alone.

Skeet

capt. mike - 10-26-2010 at 06:22 AM

thx Skeet, i am not considering a wood hulled boat for mexico.
it is at lake havasu. a classic available for evening c-cktails running around sunsets etc. very nice and priced to move if i want it.

Goat, appreciate the primer on all things nautical and boating. but i can afford quite a lot of toy if i choose to. everything i own requires maintenance and i never skimp. learning the rules of the water ways is no big deal. what type do you own? a rowboat that uses no gas?? hahahaha

BillP - 10-26-2010 at 08:10 AM

Mike, those classic style boats are pretty heavy, usually built with hardwoods. I personally love the style and look, very classy.

If it's a straight inboard, what I would be more concerned with at Havasu is grounding. Lots of sandbars at the north end as well as obstacles around the marina in the bridge channel. it's worse in the fall thru spring as they lower the lake about three feet. Get a chart and study it.

Also, they have vessle assist and Sea tow, the AAA on the water, look into a membership.

One more thing, those cops and sheriff's are real pricks about DUI enforcement on the water.

BillP - 10-26-2010 at 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

tradition, and right-of-way rules. fyi, capt crack, it is called "starboard side", not "right side" -- and most boats (sailboats) worth owning have tiller or wheel position midships ("center" for you landlubbing zonies) :lol:

Is the tiller located on the blunt end?

Also, why do they have "port" holes on the starboard side? Why don't they call 'em starboard holes?

DENNIS - 10-26-2010 at 08:27 AM

Quote:

I guess you're referring to the speed boat type with a Mahogany hull. They are a job and a big one. Unless the boat is covered, it should be sanded and varnished yearly if sitting in the desert sun. A lot of work...haul-out etc.
That is if you expect to keep it looking "classic." If not, paint it with a roller every ten years and change the plugs every five.

Skeet/Loreto - 10-26-2010 at 10:26 AM

Mike: Virginia and I built the Home at 2726 Fannin Dr. in 1991.
Good House and good View.

Stay away from the Sandspit Island or you will get into trouble.!!

Lots of Bare Boobs at London Bridge every weekend.' Boats i liked at havasu:
217 Wellcraft Fish
'22 Ft Chris Craft Cutlass Wood Lap Stake
21 Ft. Capt Horn}Built in Florida

Only complaint it sometimes gets Noisy during the week end with all the Big LA Boats running around.

Good Luck

Bill P "Port" is an Opening.

BajaBruno - 10-26-2010 at 10:42 AM

In the past I considered a couple of wood hulled boats. The old Chris Crafts and Garwoods are beautiful if maintained. After some soul searching it became clear to me that to keep those boats beautiful you have to marry them, or keep them trailered in a garage most of the year and take her out on the occasional weekend. I wasn't up to the commitment, being the basically lazy sort, but you may be better suited to the trials of varnish and leaks. If you go for it, send photos--I love looking at them.

E.D.R.Rick - 10-26-2010 at 12:46 PM

Quote:
in this section.
Qs -

E.D.R.Rick - 10-26-2010 at 12:49 PM

I used to have a jet boat with the steering on left side with the gas pedal down on the right

Skeet/Loreto - 10-26-2010 at 01:22 PM

Mike: I bought my 22 Ft Chris cutlass out of Sacramento Had a 327 Chev. Inboard.
I took it on a Trailer to Loreto via Guymuas across the ferry as the road was not yet open. Kept it there several months more than a years. Never, Never had to do anything to it but keep it Clean.

Trailered it back to Calif. and used it on the Sacramento River out of Martinez. Touched up a few Painted spots and sold it for a $1,000 more than I gave for it.

Stay away from the older BayLiners.

Skeet

capt. mike - 10-26-2010 at 01:53 PM

i lived in martinez in 1980 used to love going to the delta and bar hopping and also across benecia to hit napa and chug a lug the vin. never caught a sturgeon though. saw some big ones.

"One more thing, those cops and sheriff's are real pricks about DUI enforcement on the water"

ain't it the truth - same everywhere these days.
i slow down so i won't spill the good stuff!

lots of boats for sale here and it is a buyers market just like planes, everyone that is cash poor is looking to get out.

i'll post a link to a nice on that is too far to fetch, in IN.

i am building new enclosed multi level boat storage here on the island in a later phase so storage out of the elements is no big deal.
i'd go out for easy cruising evenings and weekends.
i really love these old 50s and 60s wood boats with inboard engines and out drives.

we're here for a good time....not for a long time. hahaha it's only money and it is worth less every day.

baitcast - 10-26-2010 at 02:55 PM

RAugh!! wood you say Capt. I,ve had two wood boats ,a 16 Ryan and a 30' Egg Harbor kept it at Terminal Island for nearly three years,flying bridge,twin flat head sixes,and all the other stuff.

If you get a bigger rig you must be willing to spend a great deal of time and money if its wood, the Egg had teak decks and mahogany planking that translates into work but enjoyed it spend saturday on board working, and drinking beer and never leaving the marina,good times.

Forgot 1968,go for it is it on your list by any chance?
Rob

baitcast - 10-26-2010 at 03:14 PM

Coxswain,BM3 Ran these sweehearts and every boat in the Navy inventory........Go Navy

bajamedic - 10-26-2010 at 09:30 PM

Capt. Mike, I was told during some of my training, that the captain and steering wheel was placed on the right side when they started putting inboards into personal boats to help counter act the action of a left hand rotation of the motor (torque), this was especially important when they started placing the small V8 motors in pleasure craft. The right sided controls became fairly standard, but I know of no rules that regulate the placement. I was asked this same question only once during my brief tenure of teaching safe-boating classes, I thought it was a fairly good answer.
Ahhh, nothing like the sound or performance of a small block Chevy, with a 4 barrel carb, connected to an outdrive. My Honda BF40 outboard and PWC just does not sound the same, although, the fuel economy of that Honda is hard to beat. JH

capt. mike - 10-27-2010 at 05:03 AM

makes sense, it is parallel to why you have to stand on the right rudder during hi power take off and climb in a piston single, to handle adverse thrust and prop torque.

capt. mike - 10-27-2010 at 05:16 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&...

this one i really like!!
also one in tahoe that's a true run a bout with split seats and center eng
just like the one in the movie Some Like it Hot Tony pot puffing Curtis drove.

Cypress - 10-27-2010 at 06:16 AM

Many of those old boats seldom leave the dock, not because they aren't reliable, but because of their fuel consumption. When you add up the maintenance(time and money), docking fees, and fuel consumption, they can be "money pits". The small run-a-bouts are a different story.

capt. mike - 10-27-2010 at 01:01 PM

yeah.....i know all about money pits....same deal with a plane.
but if you love it you never think about the money.

same drill.....here for a good time, not for a long time!!:lol::lol: