BajaNomad

Will you buy this explanation?

Howard - 10-25-2010 at 06:18 PM

"Boat propellers turn clockwise, sez Leon, and hulls used to be designed in such a way that when there was torque on the prop, the right side of the boat would rise up. So the wheel was put on the right, so the weight of these "healthy sized" fishermen would counteract that. As long as they didn't put the beer cooler on the left, which would throw everything off. This is not a problem with modern hulls, but the design stuck. Racing boats, however usually have the wheel on the left, like American cars. I was impressed by his answer, but preceded to call the rest of the boat shops in the book (my favorite name: Castles Afloat Houseboats). Partly to confirm Leon's answer, and partly to show up these zen boat guys who seem satisfied that things is how they is because that's how they is. Get a sense of curiosity, boys."

Don't shoot me, I just the messenger

Anyone out there going for the above?

Cypress - 10-25-2010 at 06:41 PM

It goes way back to the Vikings. Most folks steered with their right hands so the tiller or rudder was placed on the right or "steering side". Starboard is the modern version of Steor, which means steering paddle or rudder, and bord, which meant the side of a ship.:D

BillP - 10-26-2010 at 08:42 AM

Howard, That's the way I've heard it explained many times. The reason race boats are on the left is they usually have a "V" drive which makes the prop turn the opposite direction.

Your mileage may vary.

DENNIS - 10-26-2010 at 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BillP
Howard, That's the way I've heard it explained many times. The reason race boats are on the left is they usually have a "V" drive which makes the prop turn the opposite direction.

Your mileage may vary.

I thought race boats were on the left for balance in the traditional left hand turn around the mark. Kind of like hiking-out while turning a hydro.

BillP - 10-26-2010 at 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Your mileage may vary.

I thought race boats were on the left for balance in the traditional left hand turn around the mark. Kind of like hiking-out while turning a hydro.

Maybe so, my race boat experience is all on flatbottom drag boats

DENNIS - 10-26-2010 at 09:48 AM

Quote:
Maybe so, my race boat experience is all on flatbottom drag boats

Yeah....turning at speed in one of those things would be counter-productive, for sure.

mcfez - 10-28-2010 at 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
It goes way back to the Vikings. Most folks steered with their right hands so the tiller or rudder was placed on the right or "steering side". Starboard is the modern version of Steor, which means steering paddle or rudder, and bord, which meant the side of a ship.:D

This I heard before too, by a few old timers.