BajaNomad

Snack at Acambaro

DanO - 10-26-2010 at 01:03 PM

Heading north Sunday, after sitting through a half hour wait at the Santo Tomas checkpoint, it just made sense to pull off at Acambaro for a light snack and beverage. Juan and his family are gracious folks with a well-stocked little tienda and cantina. The highway construction starts just north of their place, and I'm thinking that if it gets extended further south, it might put a bit of a crimp in his business.

IMG00174-20101024-1342.jpg - 48kB

sanquintinsince73 - 10-26-2010 at 01:05 PM

Love that queso fresco.

mcfez - 10-26-2010 at 04:48 PM

Queso blanco or Queso fresco (a combination of cow's and goat's milk)? I prefer the combo for its stronger taste.

Love the cheeses of Mexico. We sometimes approach a ranch to see if they have cheese for sale. A lot of places do...all u have to do is ask!

BajaWarrior - 10-26-2010 at 05:15 PM

Hey DanO,

It was very nice to meet you (finally) this past Sunday in La Bocana. Next time we'll have to make time to have a beer and chat a bit more.

We locked up the casa an hour after seeing you and then explored the Puerto area and then the farm land and coast near Punta China and then north we went. Stopped at Popotla Jr. for dinner and then headed to the border. I'll let you know our next trip south...

BW

DanO - 10-26-2010 at 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Hey DanO,

It was very nice to meet you (finally) this past Sunday in La Bocana. Next time we'll have to make time to have a beer and chat a bit more.

We locked up the casa an hour after seeing you and then explored the Puerto area and then the farm land and coast near Punta China and then north we went. Stopped at Popotla Jr. for dinner and then headed to the border. I'll let you know our next trip south...

BW

Agreed. The first cold one's on me.

TecateRay - 10-26-2010 at 06:39 PM

Great place, great food, and great people - a hard combo to beat!

redhilltown - 10-26-2010 at 11:26 PM

I agree... I love that place. Perfect distance to take a break and get a feel of Baja...and clean restrooms to boot!!!!!!!! Always stop there on the way and back from Puerto Santo Tomas...and to be honest, it really is a well stocked store not to mention the wonderful drinks and food.

sharktooth - 10-27-2010 at 02:54 PM

yum - could sit there all day munching

tripledigitken - 10-30-2013 at 03:48 PM

Bump

BajaGeoff - 10-30-2013 at 03:54 PM

Dig that spot! Juan is a great guy...

gallesram - 10-30-2013 at 04:29 PM

Thanks for the bump; looks like a good spot heading south to reward the driver for suffering through Ensenada & Maneadero traffic!

DanO - 10-30-2013 at 04:54 PM

Hard to believe it's been 3 years since that post. As it turned out, the highway construction didn't hurt business at all, but it did prompt Juan to build a parking lot across the road that's used by a lot of teams, caravans and truckers heading south. Food and drinks are still good. Try the Birria.

Things have changed as well just south of there, in the Valle de la Grulla. On the side road to Uruapan just off the highway there is a low stone building that put up a wine tasting sign earlier this year. We checked it out in July and they are cranking out some pretty decent wines using grapes from a collective of farmers in that valley (sorry, I've forgotten the name of the winery, but I've got their empty bottles around here somewhere . . .). There are also several independent producers further up the valley making their own wines (we visited one called MD). The vintner told that there also farmers in the valley making artisanal cheeses, preserves and olive oils for the burgeoning Ensenada restaurant scene.

bajadock - 10-30-2013 at 05:42 PM

Love the "Racers Rock" right of Logo on roof. I have never stopped. Will do, thanks, Dano.

redhilltown - 10-30-2013 at 10:40 PM

It was weird reading this post like it was a new one and I'm thinking "WHAT checkpoint" then I saw the bump...

I still love stopping here...great place.