BajaNomad

2 ? regarding boat batteries

Santiago - 10-27-2010 at 06:40 AM

My boat has two marine starting batteries connected thru a typical Perko switch that has 4 selections: 1, 2, Both, and Off.

1. When I left in early July, I mistaking left the Perko switch at "2" and on my return in early October, the #2 battery was dead and could not be charged. Everything was turned off but obviously there is something drawing a little current, any ideas what?

2. The wiring thru the Perko has always puzzled me; if one of the batteries is disconnected or removed, the other battery will not work, even when the switch is on that battery. I have to reconnect the non-selected battery for the selected battery to power the boat. I have tried this on both batteries and the results are the same. Can I rewire to overcome this?

4baja - 10-27-2010 at 06:56 AM

just a guess but your negative is probably tied through the two batteries and when you disconnected the one you lost ground too your ground buss.

Thanks Steve

Santiago - 10-27-2010 at 07:31 AM

I think you're saying that it's wired like the diagram on the left and needs to be changed to the one on the right?
[img][/img]

bajabass - 10-27-2010 at 07:40 AM

I am far from being an electrical guru, but I think you hit it Santiago. I'll need to remember that when I rewire the Invader CC project.

comitan - 10-27-2010 at 07:55 AM

Sorry but they both look the same to me.

Santiago - 10-27-2010 at 08:00 AM

comitan: oh yeah, I see what you mean. Unfortunately, the boat is in Baja and I'm not. How do you think it is wired? I'm having a hard time visualizing it.

BajaBruno - 10-27-2010 at 09:05 AM

In Santiago "A" the ground conductor goes from #1 battery to #2 battery, then to ground, so when #2 is disconnected, there is no ground.

In Santiago "B" the ground conductor goes from #1 battery to ground and separately from #2 battery to ground. There is no break when a battery is removed.

comitan - 10-27-2010 at 09:18 AM

http://www.cmsquick.com/images/pdf/Sw/2003A_specs.pdf

durrelllrobert - 10-27-2010 at 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
I think you're saying that it's wired like the diagram on the left and needs to be changed to the one on the right?
[img][/img]

should be connec ted in parrallel, not in series.:light:

Doug/Vamonos - 10-27-2010 at 11:08 AM

If I were to leave the perko switch on a battery it could power up my sounder, gps, bait pump, washdown pump, radio, or ignition switch if any of those items was left "on". I've created a very lengthy check list that goes over every item in camp before I leave to make sure I don't forget to do something and then remember it when I'm 600 miles away. Love my check lists. Another possibility is that the battery died on its own. I have two blue top optimas and I rarely switch the perko to "2" or "both". The result is the "2" battery rarely gets a charge. When I was there last month I discovered it was dead and no amount of charging brought it back. It's probably four years old.

Santiago - 10-27-2010 at 11:33 AM

Just heard back from the boat builder and they said if there is only one battery on board, switch it to "Both".
Doug: I'm a big believer in lists, especially with my memory. Will put this on my list. I generally switch battery selection on the ride home, but sometimes forget.

Bob and Susan - 10-27-2010 at 12:34 PM

with perkos you should ALWAYS run them on "both"

if you ever leave a perko in the "ON" position
the batteries will be dead later

boats seem never to have a good ground and seep electricty

ALWAYS turn off the perko when you're not using the boat
your batteries should last 3 years
then change them
you NEVER want a bad battery "on the water"

edit: oh yea
number one is the correct hook up

[Edited on 10-27-2010 by Bob and Susan]

BajaGringo - 10-27-2010 at 12:56 PM

Add a solar panel and inexpensive charge controller - your batteries will always be ready to go...

Santiago - 10-27-2010 at 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
with perkos you should ALWAYS run them on "both"
[Edited on 10-27-2010 by Bob and Susan]

I always assumed that but my Mercury manual says NEVER run on both as the alternator is not strong enough and will burn out and also NEVER switch batteries while the engine is running. They claim while switching, a surge can be set up that will fry some of the engines electronics. Anyone know if this is true?

Bob and Susan - 10-27-2010 at 01:47 PM

not true

the engine has fuses

the batteries are only the buffer to the alternator

the perko is like a light switch
off or on:light:

landyacht318 - 10-27-2010 at 06:16 PM

First of all, The grounds are common to both batteries, neither are switched by the Perko Switch, Only the Positives are switched, both diagrams above are essentially the same,the one is just a little better balanced but won't apply to your issue.

The Perko switch has 3 large lugs on the back side. One goes to battery one, one goes to battery 2, the other one goes to your ignition Feed. There might be an alternator Field wire disconnect on the switch too. These are smaller terminals and make it so you don't grenade your alternator if you turn the switch to off while the engine is running, but this is not relevant to your current issue.

I think you have the ignition feed wire and the Battery 1 on the wrong terminals. It's easy to do. Bring a new battery Down, and a Digital multi meter and check the wiring of the switch when you get back.

These switches do go bad too, so if the Battery/ ignition wires are in the right spots, suspect the switch. You might want to bring another if they are not easily available there.

Also clean the battery terminals well, and the engine ground.

I don't know what drained your battery.