BajaNomad

A secret fishing hole

mcfez - 10-29-2010 at 01:20 PM

Trying out something new, I went out and bought a Gregory welded boat, rigged it up exactly as they did in "The Baja Catch"...Everything is redone or new except the anchor and rope.

Just amazing results! So now I have a little putt putt to access more that just the surf (which is supremo fishing too).

My first spot last week....a spot that is written in a book, and told to me by two different fellows. I have heard fish stories.... theses guys told me a whooper lived in the cove....as did the book. Grouper and Trigger fish.

So after launching off the ramp in Puerticitos....I spot hit few places...no takes. It's been windy for five days...

So now comes the secret fish spot....and a fish story that you may not believe!

Coming into the little cove, I threw my anchor in. The cove at that spot is a whopping 45 feet deep according to my anchor line.
Geared up with:

Opus Plus 5500
Sambre SC700 7'
40 lb line
2 oz sinker
3/0 hook
Salted medium size shrimp

Drop cast in, set the rod on the holder.....all within 15 seconds....something bent my rod wildly into the water...I grabbed the rod, the freakin boat tilt sideways to within two inches from the water line....line snapped. It must have been the "one". I am 245 lb plus the stuff in the boat...and it damn near overturned the boat!

Had to back up the boat again...anchor must have been dragged by the current or fish? Threw the anchor out and it went ....woooooooooo! The rope undone' d. &&*(^^&$#%

True story.

The guy off the rocks was catching fish as though he was using a vacuum cleaner. I was catching anger.

So.....here's a map of the best hole in the Puerticitos area. @ 2 miles downward south. 15 minute small craft ride.

Up on the bank....look for a pink trailer with a roof over it, few houses. There's a area there to launch a light boat too. The highway is right there.

[Edited on 10-29-2010 by mcfez]

hole.jpg - 49kB

Cypress - 10-29-2010 at 01:30 PM

You snagged a rock on the outgoing tide.:biggrin:

Martyman - 10-29-2010 at 01:33 PM

I believe you. My Dad got spooled and broke off near La Costilla and I still wonder what that was.

woody with a view - 10-29-2010 at 02:14 PM

the one that got away is the reason i keep going back! just think, if you caught each and every one, that would get LAME really fast. i like to dream about those biggies that get your heart pounding and your mind racing.......

nime sayn?

edit: why don't you keep the gps details off the internet? it's better for the fishery in that bay and it keeps the folks wondering. or widen the area you point out by 10 miles, but it's up to you.....

[Edited on 10-29-2010 by woody with a view]

woody with a view - 10-29-2010 at 02:22 PM

p.s.

tell us more about the boat. i think i've got the better half talked into a nice 12-14' deep vee.........

mcfez - 10-29-2010 at 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
p.s.

tell us more about the boat. i think i've got the better half talked into a nice 12-14' deep vee.........

1980 12' Gregor all-welded Aluminum Fishing Boat.
1990 Mercury 2 cycle 15 hp motor
Brand new fuel tank and feed hose.
Fold down tow wheels for easy launch WITHOUT a ramp. Launch anywhere!
Electric trolling motor
EZ loader galvanized trailer.
Fish Finder
Customized boat cover
Customized with padded seats.
Enclosed benches.
Flat floor, carpeted.
Battery compartment in front bench with wiring to electrical box up near motor for electric troll motor.
Bait tank/storage compartment

1.jpg - 48kB

woody with a view - 10-29-2010 at 03:47 PM

pics?

edit: of the inside.....

mcfez - 10-29-2010 at 05:39 PM

Quote:
the one that got away is the reason i keep going back! just think, if you caught each and every one, that would get LAME really fast. i like to dream about those biggies that get your heart pounding and your mind racing.......

nime sayn?

edit: why don't you keep the gps details off the internet? it's better for the fishery in that bay and it keeps the folks wondering. or widen the area you point out by 10 miles, but it's up to you.....

I have 50 plus holes from K21 to GB. Baja is big enough to share, besides...I aint the first guy at the, hole I am sure :-)
It's amazing how many fishing spots I got from this BN in the last 6 years!

Look what Baja Catch did.......

I use a simple Costco Umbrella for shade BTW

[Edited on 10-30-2010 by mcfez]

baa.jpg - 18kB

bajabass - 10-29-2010 at 05:56 PM

I hear ya mcfez, I've studied that book, as well as Zac's Trailer Boating Baja for the last couple years. A wealth of usable info! Up until some lowlife broke into my house in La Mision, I had a great little hand-held GPS/VHF with about 25 waypoints around 6 miles north or south of the marina at La Salina. 3 years of marking rocks, holes and drop offs, gone!:fire:

woody with a view - 10-29-2010 at 06:21 PM

nice boat....

mcfez - 10-29-2010 at 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabass
I hear ya mcfez, I've studied that book, as well as Zac's Trailer Boating Baja for the last couple years. A wealth of usable info! Up until some lowlife broke into my house in La Mision, I had a great little hand-held GPS/VHF with about 25 waypoints around 6 miles north or south of the marina at La Salina. 3 years of marking rocks, holes and drop offs, gone!:fire:

I got 30 -40 of secret great spots if u fish the Cortez.....be happy to email them to you since the knucklehead took your stuff. All spots....you will catch within 10 minutes.

mcfez - 10-29-2010 at 06:49 PM

Quote:
nice boat....

It be nice for the San Diego area. getting one?

woody with a view - 10-29-2010 at 08:10 PM

perhaps...... been burning up c-list today and, well, we'll see.......

Frank - 10-29-2010 at 09:33 PM

Ive got the same boat. Ive fished it more this year then the Wellcraft.

mcfez - 10-29-2010 at 10:07 PM

I'll be changing the seats to centered. Dont like the tilt of the boat.

durrelllrobert - 10-30-2010 at 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
Fold down tow wheels for easy launch WITHOUT a ramp. [Edited on 10-29-2010 by mcfez]

they look more like a uge downrigger in pic:biggrin:

mcfez - 10-30-2010 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank
Ive got the same boat. Ive fished it more this year then the Wellcraft.

Frank...got a pic of the Wellcraft? I am picking up something of a bigger unit next year...since it's a good time to buy stuff

captkw - 10-30-2010 at 10:11 AM

HOLA,you guys are missing the boat!! try fishing a livingston...hands down the best boat for baja..one boat ride and you will never,ever think about going out in a mono beer can...out:lol:

dizzyspots - 10-30-2010 at 10:35 AM

McFez
stay in touch...planning another tin boat trip in March...sooner , if I had travel partner

Frank - 10-30-2010 at 12:06 PM

Here ya go

Russ - 10-30-2010 at 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
HOLA,you guys are missing the boat!! try fishing a livingston...hands down the best boat for baja..one boat ride and you will never,ever think about going out in a mono beer can...out:lol:

I just went thru a ton of old photos and scanned the Livingston I had in Washington. 15 1/2' with a 90hp Yamaha. Hauled burro and would jump boat wakes and stay on track. I'd love to have it here.

mcfez - 10-30-2010 at 12:35 PM

Think I will start a new thread on our boats...

dizzyspots...sign me up. Good traveler here. I dont do drink/drugs/wild women/ or visit Shopping Malls! Dont care if you do.

Cypress - 10-30-2010 at 12:42 PM

That's a lot of boat for 15.5 feet. Do they still make 'em?:?:

Russ - 10-30-2010 at 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
That's a lot of boat for 15.5 feet. Do they still make 'em?:?:

Yes. They call it a 16' and the hull is "improved".
http://www.livingstonboats.com/boats_155.html

model155_action.jpg - 12kB

redhilltown - 11-9-2010 at 12:04 AM

Perfect boat for that part of the Cortez McFez! Very very nice!!! The Baja Catch can be addicting...I have suffered from the curse. Must have been a Pargo... The deep grouper holes are further out. I can't think of anything else in that area that would behave like that. Unless as previously noted it was--using the scientific name--Rockious Snagatous. ;D

wsdunc - 11-9-2010 at 01:10 PM

Good boat for the sea of cortez. I fished a lot from my 15' gregor. Marlin, sailfish, tuna, dorado, you can catch anything.