BajaNomad

Gonzaga Bay

dizzyspots - 10-29-2010 at 01:52 PM

had a great trip down to Punta Final...5 trucks, 11 folks, 3 tinnies and a kayak...camped out near Snoopy...a fabulous "welcome to Baja" Monday night meal courtesy of Rudy from KM43 WOW was that good...Pollo and Carne Asada, spicy beams..mmmmm

little windy Mon thru Wed, then better from then on

triple load of 5 lb triggers...6-8 Cabrilla, couple of Parrotfish, Sierra and a Lingcod
fresh fish tacos on the beach under a full moon, cold cervezas and a campfire..

does it get any better?

Mike

[Edited on 10-29-2010 by dizzyspots]

woody with a view - 10-29-2010 at 02:10 PM

it gets better when you post some pics to prove you REALLY had a great time!

mcfez - 10-29-2010 at 02:11 PM

Did your group include Marty and folks from Grass Valley?

3464james - 10-30-2010 at 10:06 AM

Dizzy,
where did you get the lings? I will be down the end of the month and dive off of Punta Finale, great fish, but have never seen a ling. Still looking for travel companions.
Jim D.

dizzyspots - 10-30-2010 at 10:11 AM

Jim
Boy do I wish I could join you...I love it down there...
the ling was caught trolling near shore south of the cobblestones, before you get to Campo Sacrificio using 4 1/2 " blue/silver fastrac jointed Rapala

McFez...the guys I were with are from the Victorville area and Rudy is from El Centro/ KM 43...

I remain computer challenged "pictorially" but will try to get help...my buddy's "epic battle" with his 1st 5 lb trigger on light spinning gear was captured on video...it was a blast

mcfez - 10-30-2010 at 12:37 PM

Send me your pics at deno@kissmygrass.com if u wish.

I will prep the pictures for your ability to post here. Takes me only seconds to do.

video....www.utube.com I can do 4 u 2

[Edited on 10-30-2010 by mcfez]

3464james - 10-30-2010 at 05:00 PM

Thanks Dizzy, at what depth were you fishing when you caught your ling?
We refer to that area as "Bass Alley."
We are always looking for a third party for our encampment at Rancho Grande.
Still trying to put together a dental and medical outreach at Gonzaga for my son and cousins son, I thought you are in the EMT/fire business and might have some input? Let me know.
Jim D.

redhilltown - 11-8-2010 at 04:40 PM

Hey Dizzy...I too am amazed at a Ling Cod in that area...and especially trolling. Anything else it could have been that is similar? And hopefully if you like a good fight you'll find one of the Pargo in that area...MEAN FISH!

http://www.mexfish.com/fish/ling/ling.htm

Ken

castaway$ - 11-8-2010 at 05:32 PM

I didn't know they had Lings in the SOC, I have caught hundreds of the coast of Oregon but I have nevr caught one in the SOC in the 11 years we have been going. And I have never caught one trolling, something new every day.

jadams - 11-9-2010 at 10:28 AM

Marcos Blanco , guide who is in Campo Archelon in BOLA has a great spot for Lings, deep and using cut squid for bait. always get some there

Ling vs Lingcod

GrOUper-GAr - 11-9-2010 at 07:12 PM

Let me try to clear up the Confussion with the word LING.

...one "TH!nG" they call a "Ling" in BOLA(cortez) is a BIG MOUTH BASTARD (ie- Giant Jawfish / opistognathus rhomaleus of the Jawfish family). 2 ft is huge. 10-15" norm. Jawfishes are curious-looking burrowing fishes w/ large mouths. They construct elaborate burrows in sandy cobble-strewn bottoms, usually near reefs.
--- Yet the Jawfish is not the only fish WhO's name has bEen Bastardized.
LINGCOD, actually NOT a member of the 'Ling' or 'Cod' family, (hahaha) is a B!G AGGRESSIVE Predator(up to over 5 ft!!) with a massive mouth of teeth. It's a cold water fish that thrives in Alaska down south to San Quintin, ending its prowl somewhere about the middle of Baja's Pacific side. (maybe a rare 1 now & then in Assuncion. hmmm, sheri? Juan?)
AND Just like the Red Snapper(Vermillion Rockfish) your grandpa caught in Oxnard aint the same as the Red Snapper in Loreto, THESE 'LinGs' ARE NOT the Same either.
sorry fellas,
No LINGCOD in the Cortez

-GroUPer

http://www.mexfish.com/fish/bmb/bmb.htm

bmbsnowb-1.jpg - 39kB

castaway$ - 11-9-2010 at 07:48 PM

I kinda figured it wasn't the same fish we catch in the pacific, just like the red snapper it's a common "descriptive " name and not necessarily the actual fish genus.

Skipjack Joe - 11-9-2010 at 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GrOUper-GAr

sorry fellas,
No LINGCOD in the Cortez

-GroUPer

Well, that's more of a Ling than you are a Grouper. :lol:

redhilltown - 11-9-2010 at 11:37 PM

I was wondering if that might be the culprit but he said it was caught trolling and I've only caught the "bastards" dropping deep on a dropper loop of some sort. Igor out out L.A. Bay once said it was one of his father's favorite fish for eating..........something about the looks of them has always put us off as to trying out that theory!