BajaNomad

"Bonehead" closeup

Russ - 10-30-2010 at 12:51 PM

Since mcfez showed how cool he's got his tin boat set up I got the ladder out this morning and played photographer. I know you've already seen Bonehead but I'm gonna bore ya some more:P
front

Side~ I don't like the trailer so I did some mods. New bunks with plastic runners, remove the fenders to accommodate larger/wider tire (not a good idea because it raised the boat too much and made launching/P/U more difficult from the beach) but went back to the small tires for here. Big tires for the road.

rear~ Next mod is moving the bunks back 5" because the tongue weight is too much for Bubba.
Couldn't get the pic in here. check the bottom of post
seat~ This pedestal seat works well with this boat because it puts me futher forward and the battry & gas tank on the opposite side partially off set the fat guy in the seat.

The purple foam protects the extra rods and stops the noise they made banging on the boat. The anchor rope grabber/cleat is really great. Holds tight and the anchor doesn't rattle any more.
[img]http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee23/Russinbaja/Little%20Red%20Boat/DSC_5724.jpg[/img

Rear

[Edited on 10-30-2010 by Russ]

mcfez - 10-30-2010 at 01:00 PM

I like the split in the bench....great idea. Form.....now I just learned something..Thanks.

wessongroup - 10-30-2010 at 01:03 PM

Thanks, fun to watch the projects... nice set up...

Russ - 10-30-2010 at 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
I like the split in the bench....great idea. Form.....now I just learned something..Thanks.

Hinged lids makes for a ton of storage. I don't stumble around on my gear... as much.

Cypress - 10-30-2010 at 01:30 PM

Russ, you've got a mighty fine fishing boat!:bounce:

Skeet/Loreto - 10-30-2010 at 01:36 PM

Russ:

For Launching on the Beach I installed a Receiver on the front of my pick up and then had a 4 Ft unit whioch I carried in the Bed of the Truck. That way I could just push my boat down the street and push it in as I had fourwheel drive... Use to go in and out in front of the hotel Oasis.
Worked real well for me.

Skeet

Russ - 10-30-2010 at 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
Russ:

For Launching on the Beach I installed a Receiver on the front of my pick up and then had a 4 Ft unit whioch I carried in the Bed of the Truck. That way I could just push my boat down the street and push it in as I had fourwheel drive... Use to go in and out in front of the hotel Oasis.
Worked real well for me.

Skeet

I had one on the Exploder when I had the panga worked great!
Now I use Bubba and had this 10' extension made but it was to long for the weak suspension. It's being modified. 4' shorter and I'm moving the boat back on the trailer to lighten the tongue weight.

"The impossible takes a little longer."
Quota from my 1st boss when I started banging nails. He didn't fire me:?:

LancairDriver - 10-30-2010 at 03:09 PM

Nice clean well thought out setup Russ.

msteve1014 - 10-30-2010 at 04:01 PM

With launching wheels, and the trailer, you can roll the boat off in to 1 foot of water never getting your bubba near the water. I unhook the trailer from the quad when I winch the boat back on the trailer, letting the nose raise up until the boat comes forward. I had the wheels before I bought the trailer. You would not need the good wheels to do this.

Cypress - 10-30-2010 at 04:35 PM

And a 4-blade prop!:spingrin:

halcyondays - 11-26-2010 at 08:40 PM

I see your knife tucked away on one of the photos....
I am a commercial fisherman and one thing that we use that is SO handy on boats are magnets.

So many things stick to them when you just need to keep them there in an obvious place.
Also good for holding on to a lure when you are tying the line etc.

A strong magnet would hold that knife on that seat box or anywhere else metal.

[Edited on 11-27-2010 by halcyondays]

Pescador - 11-27-2010 at 06:09 AM

Russ, anyone who keeps their boat that clean is an indication of a "strange mind". I don't see blood, scales, fish parts, rusty lures, or any of the indications of being too tired at the end of the day to clean up the mess.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

shari - 11-27-2010 at 07:16 AM

Bubba is so sweeeeeeet...like you Russ!! well thought out...love the foam bumber up front and what a great idea about the magnets!!! learn something every day here all right....fish on amigo.

tin boat

desertcpl - 6-13-2012 at 06:00 PM

I thought I would bring this up again

I got to admit I am some what fascinated about your guys
tin boats,
now just to say, I have had many boats in my life time

so lets here it

i think Russ's boat is great, but i would like to here some more on how you have yours set up

Bob and Susan - 6-14-2012 at 04:28 AM

yea that's dis-cust-ing...yuk...too clean

look at that rope...all neat in a tube...geezz russ

and the tools in a little pouch..horrible

hey...how heavy is the engine to lift...that boat must really move

Russ - 6-14-2012 at 05:38 AM

It's an old post:P Nov. 2010
The Honda 15 gets it going right at 20mph.
It hasn't changed much though. Oars, new anchor & keeper and some stickers.

Hook - 6-14-2012 at 06:15 AM

B and S, that engine weighs 104 lbs, according to Honda. A load.

I'm surprised you havent figured out a way to go with some fatter, softer tires, Russ. Something like small ATV tires. But I assume that you have a very short run over rather hard packed sand at your house and it's not an issue.

woody with a view - 6-14-2012 at 06:21 AM

WOW! my 25hp mariner "only" weighs 95#'s.

Russ - 6-14-2012 at 07:18 AM

You're right hook. I did look for a beach tire but having a hard time matching them up with the hubs & wheels on the trailer. These small tires & wheels are working OK. They're small enough to get the bunks in the water. With the larger tires & wheels I bought to trailer the boat out of here to the hwy the bunks wouldn't get wet.
Woody, I'll take the extra 10lbs for the Honda:spingrin:
The DuroBoat is really nice but not as sea worthy as the Gregor or Bay Runner Baja additions. IMHO I'll still take it out 20 miles though but head in at the 1st sign of wind.

woody with a view - 6-14-2012 at 07:20 AM

20 miles! i'd need a buddy boat if i went that far!!!:o

mulegemichael - 6-14-2012 at 07:21 AM

but your mariner is probably a 2 stroke, right woody?....big difference!

woody with a view - 6-14-2012 at 07:35 AM

yes. it's a 96

desertcpl - 6-14-2012 at 09:15 AM

does any one use a Bimini