BajaNomad

Shell Island

viabaja - 11-2-2010 at 08:29 AM

Again for all you shell island fans!! Weather last week was good. Fishing soso. Gill nets up and down the beach. Beach was deserted except for Mexican fisherman. Had rain in Percebu. As always, beer was cold. Mas tarde.

Note new pix of Laguna Percebu opening

www.viabaja.com/lluvia.jpg

www.viabaja.com/beachdogs.jpg

www.viabaja.com/percebuopening.jpg

[Edited on 11-4-2010 by viabaja]

Pompano - 11-2-2010 at 08:32 AM

Shell Island?...oh, my God.

1 2 3 4........and waiting....

David K - 11-2-2010 at 08:36 AM

Thanks Chris... Must be their season to sweep up all the fishies with nets? Was there twice in July, and their camp was deserted, no nets.

Any photos?

Here's a couple from July 18 trip:

South

North

The Baja peninsula, as seen from Shell Island

[Edited on 11-2-2010 by David K]

David K - 11-2-2010 at 08:41 AM

You're funny Roger!

Pompano - 11-2-2010 at 09:09 AM

Thanks..I think? ;D

Barry A. - 11-2-2010 at 09:18 AM

Where's Shell Island? :tumble:

Barry

capt. mike - 11-2-2010 at 11:34 AM

it is on shell beach.
south of san felipe some place i think.:lol::lol::lol:

David K - 11-2-2010 at 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
it is on shell beach.
south of san felipe some place i think.:lol::lol::lol:

Actually the beach (no name) is on the island! :light:

'Shell Beach' is where Russ lives next to Punta Chivato! :o

mcfez - 11-2-2010 at 01:06 PM

I just don't like the guy there at the toll booth taking my 20 bucks to enter.

dkl.jpg - 43kB

David K - 11-2-2010 at 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez

Yah, and the hot springs are always underwater there! :lol:

viabaja - 11-2-2010 at 04:43 PM

Dave, if I can find any I'll post pix of Mexican gill nets. Also, some pendejo put barbed wire across the north end of the salt flats. Needless to say, it's removed! That is a major highway between Santa Maria and Percebu!

Note on shell beach - watch the buried metal anchors, posts, metal rods, etc, at the top of the beach that hold the gill nets. Those are tire busters and oil pan rippers. One may not see them in time, especially at nite! There were nets even down where you camp.

BajaWarrior - 11-2-2010 at 05:14 PM

Thanks viabaja for the beach clean-up. That IS our main thoroghfare from our campo to yours.

I've seen plenty of the gill nets too on the island, they set them right in front of our house too...

SFLowTide - 11-2-2010 at 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Thanks viabaja for the beach clean-up. That IS our main thoroghfare from our campo to yours.

I've seen plenty of the gill nets too on the island, they set them right in front of our house too...

I second that, guys. Took the salt flats road from Santa Maria to Shell Beach-Shell Island-Percebu a few weeks ago and didn't notice the barbed wire, but did encounter the “land mines" on the beach. It reminded me of the late 1970's when the Yaqui Indians were long lining for red snapper. They would go out with 25-30 boats, leaving their anchors and/or large metal rods on the beach until they came back in the late afternoon. The difference back then was driving on the beach meant you were usually in a sandrail or a 4X4. Not too many single person (ATC's back then) vehicles back then on the beach.

capt. mike - 11-3-2010 at 06:24 AM

man that was phunnie!!!

shell beach....my back yard's garden is full of shells picked from there - the Chivato one, we hop 5 minutes from Serenidad while the girlz hunt shells the guys lounge on the pista drinkin BMs or RBs.

the other shell beach is close to percebu i think. We drove by it once pre running for the SF 250.

mtgoat666 - 11-3-2010 at 08:08 AM

Quote:
man that was phunnie!!!

shell beach....my back yard's garden is full of shells picked from there - the Chivato one, we hop 5 minutes from Serenidad while the girlz hunt shells the guys lounge on the pista drinkin BMs or RBs.

the other shell beach is close to percebu i think. We drove by it once pre running for the SF 250.

who named it "shell island?"
who named the other place "shell beach?
do the locals use these names? if i ask a local for directions to "shell beach," will they look have any idea what i am talking about?
inquiring minds want to know.

David K - 11-3-2010 at 08:08 AM

Quote:
man that was phunnie!!!

You know that giant wall map you sell?

It is an island on it.

Here's the satellite image:

capt. mike - 11-3-2010 at 09:51 AM

haha, DK - don't you know my tongue is firmly in cheek??

too much fun.:lol:

sanquintinsince73 - 11-3-2010 at 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez

Freaking funny as hell Mcfez!! You are muy chistoso....I love it.

David K - 11-3-2010 at 06:10 PM

Do I get a per-centage of the take? :?::lol: