BajaNomad

Pithaya Hunting Trip...domingiando!

shari - 11-8-2010 at 09:14 AM

Domingiando in Asuncion....sundaying is an important activity in our lives here...we take the day to relax and do something fun with family & friends.

Yesterday we took advantage of a slightly cloudy morning to take to the desert in search of the mighty Pithaya!!! After filling up on the perfect shrimp tacos at Don Ramon's, we headed up into the hills with our buckets and pocket knives.

You cruise slow till you spot the bright red fruit...stop...carefully cut off a few spines, hold the fruit while you cut it off...then hold it with a stick while you cut off the rest of the spines...then place it in a bucket...or in my case...gorf it down on the spot.

We split up and hunt for more fruit in one area...then continue up the hill in search of more till we have enough for ourselves and to share with others. Since we were having a family gathering in the afternoon, we needed a good supply to make pithaya margaritas.

here is a bloom...it only opens a night for a short bit then starts growing a fruit...here is a near perfect pithaya...we all shared this one after the photo!

Nancy came up with a great new drink recipe...pithaya juice and fresca which everyone loved...tiomiguel added rum to his which was pretty darn good. Mi cunada hunted for great desert photos and was very successful...look forward to seeing those.
It was a wonderful day sharing a special baja activity with amigos y mi familia.

[Edited on 11-8-2010 by shari]

Pompano - 11-8-2010 at 09:24 AM

Nice shari...we also just had a huge bowl of them for margaritas over here the other day. From Vizcaino via our Road Trip from the border.

Simply delicious.

GWBaines - 11-8-2010 at 09:29 AM

It should be noted that this is Pitaya agree, or sour pity. Not the larger Pitaya dulcet or Organ Pipe Cactus. The dulcet type is the one famous for the indians second harvest and is sweeter and used for dried fruit and ate. This smaller type is tasty but can be very sour, good for drinks where sourness is useful.

David K - 11-8-2010 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GWBaines
It should be noted that this is Pitaya agree, or sour pity. Not the larger Pitaya dulcet or Organ Pipe Cactus. The dulcet type is the one famous for the indians second harvest and is sweeter and used for dried fruit and ate. This smaller type is tasty but can be very sour, good for drinks where sourness is useful.

Pompano - 11-8-2010 at 10:13 AM

Yes, I believe we bought the sour ones at the Pemex in Vizcaino the other day. A large bag for 40 pesos..maybe a kilo or two?

Sure made great c-cktails! We drank them up before I remembered the camera...;D

David K - 11-8-2010 at 10:21 AM

Pitayas for sale along Hwy. 1 in San Quintin (brought north from La Paz):

The spines brush off easily with a knife or other tool.

Antonio shows how easily the skin peels back.

I show how easy it ease to consume! The seeds are tiny and consumed like a strawberry. Perhaps one of the finest fruits I have eaten!

shari - 11-8-2010 at 10:26 AM

For any of you lounging around these parts...ask your favorite amigo to take you out some morning or late afternoon to look for pithayas....the locals will know the spots...it's a really cool thing to do...fun, healthy, and the desert is so beautiful and fragrant....does your soul good...just wear sturdy shoes and gloves sure help too!!!

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 11-8-2010 at 11:22 AM

Hola shari,

thanks for starting this thread. friends and i look forward to the short pitahaya season around july in the el triumfo area and miraflores in baja sur.

i didn't realize there were so many different varieties, regions and seasons they are found in.

they sell them on the roadsides in el triumfo for about $ 6.00 U.S for a gallon bucket and they are already ripe and over ripe when we buy them. seems expensive but the people have to go up into the hills and pick them and then clean off the spines and also have to be aware of their surroundings as i have been told rattlesnakes are very prevalent.

very delicious and sweet.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

UnoMas - 11-8-2010 at 05:32 PM

Selling them now in El Triumfo and for the last week at least as I have seen them on both trips through. Don't know the price but 3# coffee cans full. :coolup:

shari - 11-9-2010 at 07:43 AM

I have seen them selling small bags with about 6 pithayas in them for 20-3- pesos at the Pemex in Vizcaino...a helluva deal considering how difficult it is to find, pick and clean them...they are a delicacy and super high in antioxidants...power food...local...magical.

Iflyfish...I have frozen a bag of the mystical fruit for when you get here!!!

BajaRat - 11-9-2010 at 10:02 AM

Thanks Shari for the uplifting pics and story.
Lionel

Nan&D - 11-9-2010 at 03:50 PM

Here's another yummy sunny afternoon recipe,
Pithaya Smoothie:
2 big pithayas, 2 small bananas, a cup of milk, 3 ice cubes. Whizzed up in the blender. The pithayas have such a delicate light flavour....mmm