BajaNomad

Old Road and Hwy. 1 (Part 4: El Arco to San Ignacio)

David K - 11-13-2010 at 12:18 PM

Continued from Part 3: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=48866

El Arco and nearby Calmalli were the imporant gold mines of the last century and earlier... However, by the time Highway One was built in central Baja, they were nearly ghost towns and Guerrero Negro (started in 1955) was the 'new kid on the block'... so the new highway swung way west to service it. El Arco did get a paved access highway from the new road, but the ultra thin pavement has all broken away since the 1970's.

From El Arco the old road headed pretty much straight south, then curved east around the base of the Sierra de San Francisco mountains. The old and new road first touch about 5 miles south of the new town of Vizcaino. The method of farming in this desert using 'pre-historic' water (trapped since the ice age) was started in 1959 by Americans at Rancho Wilson... which later was called the pilot ranch or El Piloto.

Enjoy the following maps and images of the old road...

In 1941, this automobile guide map showed the old main road as a heavy dark line. Do not confuse that for pavement!

In the 1950s and early 1960s, Howard Gulick produced excellent road maps of Baja California that were published in the Lower California Guidebook. Here is the 1962 edition map with the new highway and some new roads added in. The old ranch place names are also located on the new satellite images, below...

Now, as seen from above... all views al with north at the top:

El Arco, the dirt airstrip south of town and the old main road where it crosses the state border. The newer access road to El Arco from Hwy. 1 is at the top left, and the road to Santa Gertrudis is on the top right...

Arroyo Los Carros...

The old road passes right next to Ejido Angel Cesar Mendoza Arambulo and crosses the newer graded road to Ejido Guillermo Prieto and Santa Gertrudis.

Old road crosses Arroyo San Pablo (which contains the mission visita of San Pablo and originates by San Francisco de la Sierra at the top of the mountain).

Rancho El Tablon is just east of the old road... and both are east of Highway One near Vizcaino.

A higher view to show old Rancho de Wilson (El Piloto), Vizcaino, and the old road.

The old road crosses the new, just north of the paved side road to Ejido Emiliano Zapata. In 2009, we pulled off Hwy. 1 to photograph the old road (I traveled over in 1966)...

Looking north:

The new Rancho Caracol paved airport is built almost on top of the old main road. Other farming activity has erased many sections of the old road.

The old and new roads cross at Rancho Los Angeles.

The old road is about a half mile east of Highway 1 where it crosses the new road to San Francisco de la Sierra.

Old Rancho El Porvenir is on the old road...

The old and new road are furthest apart in this area at Rancho Los Martires.

The old road crosses the paved Punta Abreojos road just south of Highway 1.

The final miles into San Ignacio find the two routes very close to each other.

Near the San Ignacio paved airport...

San Ignacio... which was the very important mission site and several branches of the Jesuit El Camino Real can be seen coming together at the mission town.

The old road and new highway are either very near each other or together from San Ignacio to Santa Rosalia and Mulege.

South of Mulege, the old road was very close to the edge of Bahia Concepcion and south of the bay, the old road headed inland and passed through San Jose Comondu (or La Purisma as an optional route south) on its way to La Paz.

Stay tuned for more of the old road in Baja California!

[Edited on 11-13-2010 by David K]

TMW - 11-14-2010 at 09:45 AM

In the 7th satellite pix down the old road meets the hwy near KM133 just south of the light area where road material was accessed. The Baja 1000 came out there several times. A few years ago I tried to follow the old road back to El Arco and at some point it was so overgrown etc I had to leave it.

David K - 11-14-2010 at 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
In the 7th satellite pix down the old road meets the hwy near KM133 just south of the light area where road material was accessed. The Baja 1000 came out there several times. A few years ago I tried to follow the old road back to El Arco and at some point it was so overgrown etc I had to leave it.

Yup... that's where I took a photo of the old road heading north from Hwy. 1 crossing. I put a camera icon on the satellite image of the spot.

This was (of course the original Baja (Mexican) 1000 route of 1967-1972 besides being the 'main highway' in those years and earlier (see 1941 map)... The Baja 1000 has used that road a few times since 1972 as you mentioned...

It would be fun to drive the old road everywhere possible and log it... Someday, the parts that no longer are used to get to ranches and mines will be too overgrown or eroded from washouts. Heck, it has been 37 years since the highway was finished!

David K - 11-14-2010 at 12:23 PM

On Dec. 1, 1973 the Transpeninsular Highway was officially opened at the base of the Eagle Monument, near Guerrero Negro... It had been completed in November, 37 years ago... after a mad rush the final year to complete the great missing piece between San Quintin and Santa Rosalia.

In July of 1973, there was still about 150 miles unpaved (Mision San Fernando turnoff to Villa Jesus Maria, with sections paved to on north to Punta Prieta) and close to 60 miles on the old main road! We were detoured off the new road bed southbound at Agua Dulce and didn't see new road construction coming north until it was encountered near Laguna Chapala.

Photo of our family wagon in the Chapala dust detour along new roadbed (we sold the 4WD and took the new Ford south hearing the highway was nearly completed, lol!):

Here is our wagon on the new roadbed leaving Laguna Chapala valley, July 1973:

In 1976, following my graduation we took a trip to Loreto in two vehicles... my girlfriend and I in my Jeep and my folks in the Ford. Here she is at the Eagle Monument in June, 1976... long before the trees and army base!

These billboards were located along the new highway every few hundred kilometers...

TMW - 11-14-2010 at 03:07 PM

I noticed new signs in Baja Sur that read about the same in spanish only. Saying to the effect the hwy is not for high speed driving.

Phil S - 11-15-2010 at 08:31 AM

Thank you David. Interesting read. Glad I didn't have to traverse the roads "in the old days"!!! didn't take me long to figure out & wanted ten ply tires on my pickups to drive the roads in the late 80's & early 90's. And did take some really bad hits in "volkswagon" deep chuck holes. Regular 4 plys would have blown I'm sure.

David K - 11-15-2010 at 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil S
Thank you David. Interesting read. Glad I didn't have to traverse the roads "in the old days"!!! didn't take me long to figure out & wanted ten ply tires on my pickups to drive the roads in the late 80's & early 90's. And did take some really bad hits in "volkswagon" deep chuck holes. Regular 4 plys would have blown I'm sure.

It was an adventure to drive to the tip of Baja in the old days... Often people would write books or magazine articles if they did it!

In 1966, pavement ended north of Colonet and a very washboard roadbed continued to San Quintin and the dirt road could probably be driven in a passenger car to El Rosario if it wasn't too low to the ground.

Between El Rosario and La Poza Grande (south of Comondu) it was just 500 miles of single lane track, not graded (except between Santa Rosalia and Mulege)... two cars could not pass each other without one getting off the road... but it was rare to pass another car all day in Baja! Poza Grande south was one long washboard road until pavement was found about 100 miles north from La Paz. It had been paved further... to past Constitucion in 1961, but that 30+ miles of asphalt vanished by 1966.

The road into Cabo San Lucas from La Paz was only paved 10 miles south, then graded to beyond San Bartolo, then a single lane Jeep road the remaining distance. The road to Todos Santos was graded, but Todos to Cabo was a little single track dirt road.

The good 'ol days :bounce::biggrin::bounce: bouncing down Baja!

jahImpala3 - 11-15-2010 at 07:30 PM

Love it!

David K - 11-15-2010 at 08:58 PM

Great... I will finish this in good time... Meanwhile, if you have any special requests for maps, satellite images, history, old out of print books... Let me know if I can help!

All this stuff and memories I have is only valuable to you if you can enjoy it too!:spingrin:

ArvadaGeorge - 11-16-2010 at 07:34 AM

In March 2010 we tried to ride (on M/C's ) the old road from Vizcaino north to El Arco,I have riden this rout many times in the past. The old road is very difficult to ride now because of fencing--a lot of fencing. We poked around a lot and I finally found a way thru --you really need to take mex 1 north a bit from Vizcaino & then turn in.

[Edited on 11-16-2010 by ArvadaGeorge]

David K - 11-16-2010 at 09:23 AM

Good point George... besides erosion damage, fences are also something we can't see on the satellite images. The old road will vanish someday... where it isn't still used.

Between Vizcaino and San Ignacio

David K - 9-13-2012 at 01:40 PM

On the old road, July, 2012... where it crosses the highway to Punta Abreojos, just south of Hwy. 1... I am pointed northward:

I was just to the left of the yellow pin 'Abreojos Hwy.'

[Edited on 9-13-2012 by David K]

Baja Roads

baja09 - 9-13-2012 at 09:33 PM

great Job David!....do you have any info, and maybe pics of Devils grade?.......

David K - 9-14-2012 at 09:29 AM

Do you mean La Cuesta del Infierno, north of Santa Rosalia?

In 1966, we drove it at night! The switchbacks on the old road were so sharp, my dad had to back up the Jeep Wagoneer to make the turns without dropping off the edge.

Here is the first steep grade east of San Ignacio, the Cuesta las Virgenes where you can see the tight switchback in a photo from Cliff Cross' 1970 Baja Guide:

fudscrud - 3-27-2013 at 09:18 AM

Good info David. I'll be riding through there in about a week but will be on the track that parallels to the east from Piedra Blanca through Miraflores and down to Guillermo Prieto. I may visit Sta Gertrudis via a "shortcut"(a dotted trail headed southeast from 4mi. so. of Piedra Blanca) then back to Miraflores and south. This "shortcut" totally fades out in a couple of places on GE, so we'll see...

Note: All the above is subject to change. (just like my contracts);D

David K - 3-27-2013 at 09:53 AM

Hope you have a great time! The roads were all excellent last July, even the shortcut to Pozo Aleman, even though we reached the San Francisquito road to the east of Pozo Aleman... but just went less than a mile west to find the old mine town.

liknbaja127 - 3-27-2013 at 07:51 PM

Wow, great times, you have had! Love the history of your trips.
Do you have any maps for the northern part. We are doing a trip from
Rancho Veronica to Mikes. We used to go thru Laguna Hanson area and
come out near La Independencia, last time we could not find road! Lots of gates, have you been in this area lately? Thanks for the help.

David K - 3-27-2013 at 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by liknbaja127
Wow, great times, you have had! Love the history of your trips.
Do you have any maps for the northern part. We are doing a trip from
Rancho Veronica to Mikes. We used to go thru Laguna Hanson area and
come out near La Independencia, last time we could not find road! Lots of gates, have you been in this area lately? Thanks for the help.

I will be happy to show maps of the Sierra Juarez roads, but in another thread okay? It is an area I have not traveled in much. Thanks for the comments. See Baja Road Conditions forum later and I will share what I have there.

Edit: Here they are: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=66405

[Edited on 3-28-2013 by David K]

DavidE - 8-2-2013 at 03:17 PM

David,

Do you have a couple of maps comparing la cuesta del diablo from the early 60's as compared to today. Either my memory is fading or the early road was not anywhere near the present paved road. Meaning at least a few hundred meters to a couple of miles.

David K - 8-2-2013 at 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
David,

Do you have a couple of maps comparing la cuesta del diablo from the early 60's as compared to today. Either my memory is fading or the early road was not anywhere near the present paved road. Meaning at least a few hundred meters to a couple of miles.

Hi David,

The old road is very near the highway and if you look at Google Earth you can follow the two and see where the highway goes over the top of the old road of the 1960's you and I remember!

My dad, in a rush to get to Mulege to start fishing, drove through San Ignacio and down the grade at night!!! I was asleep for that, but he told me he had to back up a few times just to make the hairpin turns in the grade down! The last place we saw in daylight that day was Rancho Los Angeles, between El Arco and San Ignacio.

David K - 8-2-2013 at 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
David,

Hi David,

The old road is very near the highway and if you look at Google Earth you can follow the two and see where the highway goes over the top of the old road of the 1960's you and I remember!

My dad, in a rush to get to Mulege to start fishing, drove through San Ignacio and down the grade at night!!! I was asleep for that, but he told me he had to back up a few times just to make the hairpin turns in the grade down! The last place we saw in daylight that day was Rancho Los Angeles, between El Arco and San Ignacio.

Okay, here you go David... The Cuesta del Infierno (not Diablo), looking NORTH. The old road is at the bottom heading straight east then switchbacks down. The new highway (this section was built in '72) turns northeast and goes into the canyon.

Is there interest in a post on the old road from San Ignacio to La Paz (via Comondu)?

DavidE - 8-2-2013 at 05:27 PM

The temperature was near 110F and sweat was dripping in my eyes. I could not then believe it was going to get worse, but the humidity ramped up. We were in Jeep # 5 and the dust was incredible. The embankment side was vertical with a capital V in places with car size boulders just hanging there. There was actually oiled gravel or pavement passing by Sta Rosalia. It was hard to tell. My butt was sore. The stack of Carta Blanca cases I was sitting on were all empty and all the drivers and passengers were cranky and caked with dirt. We stopped at the sea and then waded-in clothes and all. Tony lost his Bulova watch. It may still be out there, as it was gold or filled or something. We went into town dripping, and I bought an entire Marqueta of hielo from the ice plant. It made a hell of a nice seat until everyone returned and knives and hatchets were used to carve it up to cool the beer. The beer minus the bottle deposit was a little over nine cents U.S. Coca Cola cost seven cents.

After suffering 120+ degrees in breezeless Sta Rosalia, we hauled booty for Mulege. Two hours and fifty minutes. The big arroyo south of town was a mess and only cargo trucks from La Paz were attempting to cross the debris and water. Everyone wanted to camp but I said screwit and paid a dollar eighty cents (20 pesos) for a room, five foot bed, candle, virgin of guadalupe hanging on a wall, and gravity fed shower at the end of the corridor along with the toilet that was flushed with a bucket. The spigot was fifty feet away so I filled it with shower water. Tacos cost seventeen cents for two. They were made of machaca, and cabbage with nuclear-fuel-rod grade salsa. That night I learned two new words Peenche Zancudos! The windows had no glass.

David K - 8-2-2013 at 06:05 PM

The Hotel Central or Hotel Frances on the mesa? I am guessing the Central!

DavidE - 8-2-2013 at 07:15 PM

One street south of the calle principal, then one half block east on the left side. Wood. Had a huge veranda. Wooden sidewalks. I bet I slept three hours and woke up, grabbed the candle and went back to the shower. Owner had turned off the water. Fumbling around, found valve. Candle blew out. Inched by braille to the regadera soaked in the shower, tried to find the valve again but could not. In the morning, a leak had drained the concrete tank. The owner was not pleased. In the morning, there was nothing that looked like today's bolillo in the panaderia. I learned about sweet Mexican bread and the worst powder (not powdered but powDER instant coffee) the water tasted like radiator drainings, the coffee worse, and the ice plant used ammonia so the ice was uneatable. Back to Coca Cola. I was covered in insect bites, and at the time I did not know it but I was then doomed to spend the next three days with Moctezuma's revenge. Ever unflap a pup tent fly (mosquitoes) and make a run for the brush ten times a night? Mangrove's ain't cool to do stuff in. There seemed to be a lot more mangroves then. We stayed on Playa Los Cocos not Santispac. They were boiling water to purify it for me to drink. Saltine crackers. Lomotil? Jajajajajaja! Try te de perro. Gallons of it. The sugar in the coke saved me I think. The day I left the hotel I wandered down to the beach and that's when I got sunburned and did not get a stinking bite never mind a fish. Our insect repellent was citronella and my sleeping bag (unzipped as a mattress) was kapok. Jim brought 2 jeep containers of white gas. I sacrificed my precious chamois because everyone agreed that since I had sold my '53 Ford to come on the trip I did not need a chamois. So it was used as a pre-fuel-filter.

Rosa declared I looked like death-warmed-over so they conjured up a pot of caldo de siete mares. I had eaten so much abalone and lobster over on the Pacific side that the clams and crab and fish (I think it was cabrilla) tasted great. They wanted to go into Mulege and see the prisoners go to their jobs in town and I stayed behind. I spent the day in the water with a sheet wrapped around me to protect from the sun. The next day the group went back to town and touring the prison I met a fellow through the bars in his cell that was not allowed to leave. He was convicted of rape. He told me he made the mistake of getting frisky with the alcalde's daughter in Empalme, and he was sentenced to i forget how many years in el reclusorio. He sold me a nice abalone shell all gussied up for ten cents.
I had seven or eight reels of 8mm movies of that trip including three just of the barrows on Malarrimo beach. The treasure trove. Tony's treasured purple Japanese glass float, the box of morphine ampules, the ten foot (?) diameter redwood tree all shorn of bark and turning gray. Hundreds of left foot only pink flip-flops. Someone had found the burgee of the submarine Wahoo there I found out later. It had floated all the way across the Pacific. Every day was none to twenty adventures depending. It was a pain having to have Rosa translate everything. She grew tired of being the interpreter all the time. Rancho Chapala, Los Arcos, the Castro Ranch, the Arces and Arce Arces of Mulege. When we rolled back into the driveway my clothes were shredded, fishing rod broken by something in the jeep, reel clogged forever by the dust of Laguna Chapala, and a head totally intoxicated with Mexico.

David K - 8-3-2013 at 08:14 AM

Quote:
One street south of the calle principal, then one half block east on the left side. Wood. Had a huge veranda. Wooden sidewalks. I bet I slept three hours and woke up, grabbed the candle and went back to the shower. Owner had turned off the water. Fumbling around, found valve. Candle blew out. Inched by braille to the regadera soaked in the shower, tried to find the valve again but could not. In the morning, a leak had drained the concrete tank. The owner was not pleased. In the morning, there was nothing that looked like today's bolillo in the panaderia. I learned about sweet Mexican bread and the worst powder (not powdered but powDER instant coffee) the water tasted like radiator drainings, the coffee worse, and the ice plant used ammonia so the ice was uneatable. Back to Coca Cola. I was covered in insect bites, and at the time I did not know it but I was then doomed to spend the next three days with Moctezuma's revenge. Ever unflap a pup tent fly (mosquitoes) and make a run for the brush ten times a night? Mangrove's ain't cool to do stuff in. There seemed to be a lot more mangroves then. We stayed on Playa Los Cocos not Santispac. They were boiling water to purify it for me to drink. Saltine crackers. Lomotil? Jajajajajaja! Try te de perro. Gallons of it. The sugar in the coke saved me I think. The day I left the hotel I wandered down to the beach and that's when I got sunburned and did not get a stinking bite never mind a fish. Our insect repellent was citronella and my sleeping bag (unzipped as a mattress) was kapok. Jim brought 2 jeep containers of white gas. I sacrificed my precious chamois because everyone agreed that since I had sold my '53 Ford to come on the trip I did not need a chamois. So it was used as a pre-fuel-filter.

Rosa declared I looked like death-warmed-over so they conjured up a pot of caldo de siete mares. I had eaten so much abalone and lobster over on the Pacific side that the clams and crab and fish (I think it was cabrilla) tasted great. They wanted to go into Mulege and see the prisoners go to their jobs in town and I stayed behind. I spent the day in the water with a sheet wrapped around me to protect from the sun. The next day the group went back to town and touring the prison I met a fellow through the bars in his cell that was not allowed to leave. He was convicted of rape. He told me he made the mistake of getting frisky with the alcalde's daughter in Empalme, and he was sentenced to i forget how many years in el reclusorio. He sold me a nice abalone shell all gussied up for ten cents.
I had seven or eight reels of 8mm movies of that trip including three just of the barrows on Malarrimo beach. The treasure trove. Tony's treasured purple Japanese glass float, the box of morphine ampules, the ten foot (?) diameter redwood tree all shorn of bark and turning gray. Hundreds of left foot only pink flip-flops. Someone had found the burgee of the submarine Wahoo there I found out later. It had floated all the way across the Pacific. Every day was none to twenty adventures depending. It was a pain having to have Rosa translate everything. She grew tired of being the interpreter all the time. Rancho Chapala, Los Arcos, the Castro Ranch, the Arces and Arce Arces of Mulege. When we rolled back into the driveway my clothes were shredded, fishing rod broken by something in the jeep, reel clogged forever by the dust of Laguna Chapala, and a head totally intoxicated with Mexico.

You caught 'Baja Fever'... or at least the 'Baja Bug' with THAT trip! Any of the 8mm movies survive?

DavidE - 8-3-2013 at 09:57 AM

Sadly, no David. I had some stills made though and they are surviving in a friend's attic I hope, in Acme, Washington...

rts551 - 2-8-2015 at 03:57 PM

sure wish you could bump your threads without it affecting todays posts. Maybe an option like "my threads"?

BajaNomad - 2-9-2015 at 08:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
sure wish you could bump your threads without it affecting todays posts. Maybe an option like "my threads"?

Use the "Add to Favorites" link at the top of the page. You can keep a list of favorite threads for your personal review/reference.

fyi

rts551 - 2-9-2015 at 08:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  
Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Use the "Add to Favorites" link at the top of the page. You can keep a list of favorite threads for your personal review/reference.

fyi

was actually looking for the opposite. I use "today's posts" to see something new....not numerous posts bumped.

David K - 8-22-2016 at 11:48 AM

Part 4 bump