BajaNomad

ENSENADA TRIP REPORT

msypvr - 11-15-2010 at 09:30 AM

I RETURNED THIS WEEK FROM A 2 WEEK STAY IN ENSENADA EXPLORING FOR A POSSIBLE MOVE. I LOOKED AT HOUSING, SHOPPING AND LOOKED AT ALL THE POSSIBLE NEIGBORHOODS WHERE I WOULD FEEL CONFORTABLE. SPENT ONE DAY WITH A REALTOR FROM GIBBS REALTORS. WHICH WAS A VERY POSITIVE EXPERIENCE. HAVE DECIDED TO MAKE THE MOVE AFTER MY PROPERTY HERE IN THE U.S. SELLS. WILL RENT FIRST FOR 6 MONTHS AND LOOK TO BUY. I WAS EXTREMELY PLEASED WITH THE HELPFULNESS AND FRIENDLINESS OF THE LOCALS THAT I CAME IN CONTACT WITH. THE ONLY NEGATIVE-WHERE ARE THE STREET SIGNS???
GOT LOST ON MY RETURN ACROSS THE BORDER AND ENDED UP IN THE FAST TRACK. I WILL NEVER KNOW HOW I GOT BACK IN THE NORMAL FLOW OF TRAFFIC. BUT, FAST TRACK IS THE WAY TO GO.

bajaguy - 11-15-2010 at 09:49 AM

msypvr.......check your u2u message

DENNIS - 11-15-2010 at 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by msypvr
THE ONLY NEGATIVE-WHERE ARE THE STREET SIGNS???

They're getting better with this. Unfortunatly, most of Ensenada wasn't designed to be "Tourist Friendly." They just assume people know where they are.
In the residential areas, nice and not so, the custom is to put up a small sign on the front wall of the house with the family name and street name with the house number. You may have to look for these clues.
Along with that method, you should get a good map of the area. They're sold here and there. In the meantime, maybe this will help:

http://www.advantagemexico.com/ensenada/images/ensenada_map....

Welcome to the area. If I can be of any assistance, don't hesitate to ask.

DENNIS - 11-15-2010 at 11:09 AM

PS....When you get settled in here, I suggest as your first aquisition the Ensenada Yellow Pages. They're priceless when you need something.

krafty - 11-15-2010 at 12:21 PM

If you are moving here may I suggest a SENTRI pass? Don't know how we got along without it for so long

Street Signs

bajaguy - 11-15-2010 at 12:32 PM

Stop at a 7-11 PEMEX and pick up an Ensenada street map.....they are very good and accurate. If you know your starting point or some major intersections it works great.......while you are there, also get a map for TJ.

DENNIS - 11-15-2010 at 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Stop at a 7-11 PEMEX

OXXO??? Do they have 7-11s down here? I'm out of touch with it all.

msypvr

Reinventwen - 11-15-2010 at 01:15 PM

Glad to hear you liked Ensenada. We'll be moving there this winter but we don't know too much about the city itself. Most rental listings are for the Rosarita area. The only thing I know for sure is there is a lot of eating, drinking and fishing goin' on here.

Good luck with the house sale. Maybe we'll meet.

7-11's

bajaguy - 11-15-2010 at 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Stop at a 7-11 PEMEX

OXXO??? Do they have 7-11s down here? I'm out of touch with it all.

Dennis......7-11 took over from the AM-PM's at the PEMEX stations. For some reason, yours out on the road to Punta Banda is an OXXO

msypvr

bajaguy - 11-15-2010 at 01:30 PM

Check your u2u again

DENNIS - 11-15-2010 at 01:37 PM

Quote:

Dennis......7-11 took over from the AM-PM's at the PEMEX stations. For some reason, yours out on the road to Punta Banda is an OXXO

Most I've seen coupled with Pemex stations are OXXO. I'll have to look closer.
Thanks, Terry.

Bajahowodd - 11-15-2010 at 01:48 PM

It happened earlier this year. Seems that whoever the Pemex franchisee was that had AM/PM, had a contract renewal and either was approached by 7-11, or contacted them looking for a better deal. Don't know how many stations were involved, but I can think of two. One near the toll booth in Rosarito, and one on Mex 1 near the military base. I'm sure there's more.

tjBill - 11-16-2010 at 12:57 AM

For finding locations around town,

I use Google maps with street view. Its priceless.

msypvr - 11-16-2010 at 08:00 AM

thank you all for your suggestions. i use google maps when checking out areas where i might be interested in renting or buying. thanks again.

David K - 11-16-2010 at 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by msypvr
thank you all for your suggestions. i use google maps when checking out areas where i might be interested in renting or buying. thanks again.

Sometime I would like to read how you got your FM-3 visa... was it fast and easy... how many months did it take... did you use a service or just on your own??? Thank you!